ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State v. Purdue Game Thread

Geez how many Steph Curry kindergarten shots did that guy make?

ended up 5-13 for the game:

Penn State (10-39)
Purdue (6-32)

Boilers shouldn't have that many attempts unless they go into multiple overtimes....just one of those crazy conference games.....Boilers had a lot of good looks but took way too many ill-advised in the first half.

Penn State (10-39)
Purdue (6-32)

Boilers shouldn't have that many attempts unless they go into multiple overtimes....just one of those crazy conference games.....Boilers had a lot of good looks but took way too many ill-advised in the first half.
We took 30 2-pt shots and 32 3-pt. Hit more than 60% on 2's and less than 19% on 3's.

Nice clean up Tre on his own miss
He has done that 3 times in the last 2 games. Not going to hit FTs if you are the first guy to get to your miss more often than not. Lacking confidence again since the MSU game...

Penn State (10-39)
Purdue (6-32)

And I bet all 5 were pretty well contested too. Nice to see us still win games when shots aren’t falling but wins a win in the B10. Boiler Up!

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Stop in inbounding the ball to the corner!!
Grade school stuff
I think you can easily get too many people jammed into a smaller area allowing easier doubles. ON PSU defense, no doubt the defender on the triggerman shades to the wide side of the court to cut the space down knowing the short distance is where the ball is allowed. The other defenders shade their man too and know which way they have to go to get open. Just the way "I" think you should play the triggerman "unless" you have a really quick, long armed defender that can move quickly in defending the triggerman. If Purdue allows more space for player, you have a harder trap and also have to defend more space. The balance is those that you pull out of the "receiver" area must still hold their player close to them by being a threat. Too far away and they won't defend you anyway. It is all about the time it takes to cover a certain distance and when you initially cut the court down...you reduce the distance to cover.
Course those that are away must be ready to keep their spacing if they must receive an outlet pass. There were times Gene would run 4 guys across the FT line to inbound the ball with the idea that when a couple release they take with them their defender that doesn't see what is going on behind him OR they get a long pass and go...but it the triggerman is properly defended...THAT long pass should not be there and so now you have too many people in a small area...

unless you are Carson. ;) "Generally", pass against zone presses, dribble against man presses

Definitely work to do, but they have the makings to effectively handle it, IMO, because Mason Gillis can help out and handle the ball and can also hit free throws, as can Eric Hunter and Brandon Newman. They really had difficulty with the inbound before the press today it seemed. I'd also like to see what Jaden Ivey would do with the press situation.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Definitely work to do, but they have the makings to effectively handle it, IMO, because Mason Gillis can help out and handle the ball and can also hit free throws, as can Eric Hunter and Brandon Newman. They really had difficulty with the inbound before the press today it seemed. I'd also like to see what Jaden Ivey would do with the press situation.
Absolutely they have the ability to do it. I'm not worried about breaking a press. Purdue will get better. There appeared to be a bit of physical play that helped with that press as well. Part of this panic starts when they miss FTs and part of that pressure was not shooting in the flow it appeared to me in so many missed shots that allowed the game to get close and increase pressure on those FTs. A 3 in the flow as opposed to finding yourself open many times is quite different. Not to sound like a broken record, but I just think that too many missed 3s gather little to nothing and the other shots may lead to drawing a foul...and mentally INTO the game. This was a great game for Purdue, but a bad game by Purdue. Having a physical game with some pressure should help with OSU. Purdue should be very focused Tueday. Now, I doubt if Purdue wins if they shoot 22+ 3s (would prefer around 18) or more against OSU. A kid that we all know has very good athleticism finds himself open behind the arc...why? In a close game that I expect to see at OSU, a few bad shots can be too many. That said, slicing may be a great help against OSU and I can't help but think a natural throttle back will happen for him for the next game.

Let's say Tre decides to shoot 5 shots from the elbow...open shots. Is that good for the team? I'm guessing he doesn't make any. 5 shots worth 10-15 points not to mention potential runouts, no foul opportunities against the D etc.. As the season goes on, work hard to create good shot opportunities and embrace the grind and physical part of the game...and understand what is a good shot for someone may not be for you.

Lastly, someone posted in this thread something I was going to wonder as well and that is the weakness Zach has with the jump hook. His arm is way extended and easy to move it without being physical and this guy a little physically behind the players going against him, has struggled with the bodies inside. There are times I wondered if he couldn't just back into the lane as he is doing, but gathering himself and shooting a small jump shot 4 feet out instead of the ball and arm being 4 feet from his body...until he gets the strength and coordination together. It just seems to me that at 7'4" he is tall enough to shoot that shot more often than not and the reduction in his arm movement might make an impact. That said...when he gets the physical part down his jump hook could be unstoppable

Absolutely they have the ability to do it. I'm not worried about breaking a press. Purdue will get better. There appeared to be a bit of physical play that helped with that press as well. Part of this panic starts when they miss FTs and part of that pressure was not shooting in the flow it appeared to me in so many missed shots that allowed the game to get close and increase pressure on those FTs. A 3 in the flow as opposed to finding yourself open many times is quite different. Not to sound like a broken record, but I just think that too many missed 3s gather little to nothing and the other shots may lead to drawing a foul...and mentally INTO the game. This was a great game for Purdue, but a bad game by Purdue. Having a physical game with some pressure should help with OSU. Purdue should be very focused Tueday. Now, I doubt if Purdue wins if they shoot 22+ 3s (would prefer around 18) or more against OSU. A kid that we all know has very good athleticism finds himself open behind the arc...why? In a close game that I expect to see at OSU, a few bad shots can be too many. That said, slicing may be a great help against OSU and I can't help but think a natural throttle back will happen for him for the next game.

Let's say Tre decides to shoot 5 shots from the elbow...open shots. Is that good for the team? I'm guessing he doesn't make any. 5 shots worth 10-15 points not to mention potential runouts, no foul opportunities against the D etc.. As the season goes on, work hard to create good shot opportunities and embrace the grind and physical part of the game...and understand what is a good shot for someone may not be for you.

Lastly, someone posted in this thread something I was going to wonder as well and that is the weakness Zach has with the jump hook. His arm is way extended and easy to move it without being physical and this guy a little physically behind the players going against him, has struggled with the bodies inside. There are times I wondered if he couldn't just back into the lane as he is doing, but gathering himself and shooting a small jump shot 4 feet out instead of the ball and arm being 4 feet from his body...until he gets the strength and coordination together. It just seems to me that at 7'4" he is tall enough to shoot that shot more often than not and the reduction in his arm movement might make an impact. That said...when he gets the physical part down his jump hook could be unstoppable

Zach Edey would have the makings for a mini sky-hook....wouldn't mind a banker there either, as he has a soft touch. He's still way beyond what most expected before the season.....has time to develop and is still providing production and useful minutes when Big Tre needs a break or is in foul trouble like today.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
Newman was player of the game in my opinion. Nice to have Hunter back to playing like he can play.
He still has some ball handling struggles from time to time, but I REALLY like Brandon's game. I trust him to shoot on the perimeter. I trust him to score on the other two levels as well. I have as much faith in him as anyone to shoot Fts at the end of the game with ERic right there as well. He defends and rebounds. There are a LOT of reasons to like Brandon's play. Did I mention he will be around for a few years? ;)

Zach Edey would have the makings for a mini sky-hook....wouldn't mind a banker there either, as he has a soft touch. He's still way beyond what most expected before the season.....has time to develop and is still providing production and useful minutes when Big Tre needs a break or is in foul trouble like today.
No question...I just wonder if "now" he would be a bit better being more compact inside with his body? I could see him backing in and if not being in dunking range to just pivot off his inside foot into a short jumper or as Hass did a short bank shot on the right side...course his elbows are at head level. He has the makings to get very good, but his length and strength ratio makes it a tough play when the game gets physical at this time.

Didn’t EH throw the pass at his feet and cause the over and back?

That over and back was on Hunter for throwing it at Mason's foot, not on Mason... Still nice seeing him "make up for it" though..

Good Lord, what was I seeing the first time? Went back and saw the play again...EH did pretty much bank that pass off MG's foot/ankle.....mea culpa......and a belated apology to Mason Gillis, who continues to bond the team with his hustle, effort and timely plays.

Now....if everybody would just get off my lawn, we can have peace. :)

Maybe Edey will work on his “BOMB SHOT” over the summer !!

They did mention one time that Penn state is the quickest team on their press.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT