ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue gets Michigan State

This will be a very tough challenge. MSU is a very talented team and will be playing with a lot to gain and little to lose. Purdue is the better team but MSU is better than their record would indicate, in my opinion.

Walker, Hoggard, and Akins - Boilers primarily have to corral them (limit uncontested trips in the lane and transition opportunities - primarily)......avoiding turnovers will help that. With that - Boilers should have enough.

Easier said than done, however - Michigan State is always capable, although this year, they've been more inconsistent......Walker's not 100%, but he is still tough to deal with.

Think they avoided the play-in round.....maybe a 10-seed if they go down to Purdue today. If they win, they could end up taking the BTT. Boilers need to also avoid a slow start - we shall see.

Xavier Booker gave MSU more than they could have ever bargained for in Mackey, 11 points in 12 minutes. They only lost the rebound battle by three and shot 43% from 3.

I don't see repeats for MSU there. Purdue did shoot 50% from 3 but has shot over 50% from three in I think 4 of the last 5 games now.

This will be a very tough challenge. MSU is a very talented team and will be playing with a lot to gain and little to lose. Purdue is the better team but MSU is better than their record would indicate, in my opinion.
The only two unknowns I have is 1) How do they play Zach? 2)How do they play Booker? As you state, they have talent

The only two unknowns I have is 1) How do they play Zach? 2)How do they play Booker? As you state, they have talent
I’m not convinced that Booker is quite as good of a shooter as he appeared to be in the first game. Walker, Hoggard, Akins, and Hall all have to be guarded. I think that Zach might need to do enough to bother his shot.

MSU cannot leave Booker 1 on 1 on Zach. Zach will score at will if they do.

Check out Myles body language, pretty concerning if you ask me…

manchester united GIF
He's using a purple stretchy thing. Prince liked purple. Prince was from Minnesota. That must mean that Myles wants to transfer to Bemidji State. That's why he's smiling so much.

I wouldn't be surprised if Izzo knows what hotel the Refs are staying in. He's already outside their rooms, with his eye up to their peak holes, whining about the calls that haven't been made yet.

Go Boilers!

I’m not convinced that Booker is quite as good of a shooter as he appeared to be in the first game. Walker, Hoggard, Akins, and Hall all have to be guarded. I think that Zach might need to do enough to bother his shot.

Yeah, I don't know how good a shooter he is, but apparently Izzo had no worries as he sent him out to do just that. If he were to defend Zach from behind...he can't by himself. Booker is quick, has length and can jump and so if he were to defend Zach I would have him front Zach, not play behind. I would try to prevent the pass to Zach with more quickness and sufficient length and vertical.

Can Booker play with Sissko "if" Sissko defends Zach? I think so, but you lose Hall most likely, but that is a variable I don't know. Purdue doesn't cause turnovers and so can MSU play with only Walker & Hoggard and or some other combination considering Akins? If and again I don't know the personnel well, MSU can play with 2 guards, can MSU win the war inside and yet defend Fletch?? with Hall? Doing so cuts down on their potential transition, but makes war in the paint which is very important to Purdue for Zach and the boards

If Booker is not an issue on O or D, then Purdue just needs to do what Purdue did in containing primarily Walker and Hall and not let Akins go off. Not sure Hoggard looks to score enough to be as big a concern other than any penetration into the lane. The wildcard to me is Booker. Is he low production and very high talent or high production and high talent against this team that recruited him for a while?

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
You know I already have a crush on her...
I just can't get her as interested in the little things that can create the big things as far as basketball is concerned. ;) Seriously, she tunes in a bit more than many women. She just left for a doctor and had a Purdue shirt on. She doesn't handle close games well, as she gets too nervous, but she loves Purdue basketball...and Mason is her man!!!

MSU playing for their tournament lives today. I don't really think they're a tournament team, but I do think it would be cool if they played Indiana State in one of the play-in games. But I'd rather knock them off the bubble for good today.

Booker shoots threes at 34%. But if wide open he might shoot better.

We know that MSU has talent. Based on the rating services, they have more talent than Purdue. Some of their players were primary recruiting targets for Purdue, and Painter lost those recruiting battles. This makes them dangerous, but I also think it gives Painter extra incentive to win. And to show how well that talent could have been developed if they had chosen more wisely. ;)

MSU playing for their tournament lives today. I don't really think they're a tournament team, but I do think it would be cool if they played Indiana State in one of the play-in games. But I'd rather knock them off the bubble for good today.
they're in , it's a lock

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT