ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel to Michigan

I pray for at least a game at Purdue in 2021/22. Mackey student section will absolutely destroy him. They may break all of their previous decibel records.

Will be a challenge to top the Branden Dawson reception back in the day. Unfortunately Tom Izzo went crying to the Big Ten in advance of that game to prevent chants directed at specific players.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
They are oblivious to everything...including the obvious in that a complete inability to shoot the basketball matters...anywhere, but, especially where he was, and, where he is going.
It seems obvious that we are not oblivious in our understanding in what appears obvious to me...unless I'm being oblivious?

Maybe he'll learn to shoot in 2 years. Momma has been saying he's been off mentally for 2+ years now..trying to get himself right...whatever that means.
He never found it at purdue
Sure, because the last 20 years did not matter apparently?!?

If he is "off mentally"...it is large part BECAUSE of Momma...and, it was a concern back in HS as well, so, it has been more than 2+ years.

The red flags around this one that were missed are very concerning...

Sure, because the last 20 years did not matter apparently?!?

If he is "off mentally"...it is large part BECAUSE of Momma...and, it was a concern back in HS as well, so, it has been more than 2+ years.

The red flags around this one that were missed are very concerning...

Why is it so concerning? We got 3 years of a serviceable player that helped win some game for a decent team. Not so good that we're devastated to lose him for his last year but I'm not at all concerned that we took him. I think I'd do it again even knowing the transfer was coming.

Reactions: Schnelk
Why is it so concerning? We got 3 years of a serviceable player that helped win some game for a decent team. Not so good that we're devastated to lose him for his last year but I'm not at all concerned that we took him. I think I'd do it again even knowing the transfer was coming.
I’m just happy it’s over, and someone else has to play 4 on 5 on offense.

Played at UM last year. I think that means we either play them twice or at home next year but I don't know if it's a perfect rotation like that.

Not sure if it works like that. If I remember didn’t we play IU 2 straight years at their place a couple years back ?

From my understanding, the Men's basketball rotations for the 20-game conference schedule are based on 6-year cycles....and 2018-19 was the first year this was adopted.....so running through the 2023-2024 season:

Three in-state rivalries played every year (home/away):

Illinois/Northwestern
Purdue/Indiana
Michigan/Michigan State

Regional Rivalries - 10 times in the cycle:

East (Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers)
West (Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin)

All others - 9 times in the cycle

Each team plays 120 games in the cycle - Purdue would play Indiana 12 times and everyone else 9 times, and so on. Maryland would play its three regional rivals 10 times, and everyone else 9 times, and so on.

Purdue and Michigan are 9 times this cycle (2019 - @ Michigan; 2020 (home/away). I think these are supposed to alternate each year, so based on that, it would seem like next year would be a single game @ Purdue). It would take two cycles to even out for every team/opponent home and away I think. Life in the Big Ten (14?). Don't blame me, I'm a rag-top man.

815af6514e298a41aea3c5da6d5838b5.jpg

The more I think about this, the more I think this is a really bad idea. A bad idea for both Jelly and Michigan. It just doesn’t make sense

Jelly will have the same pressures and same competition that he has struggled against for 3 years. How is this going to showcase his skills? Furthermore, he will now be playing with a bunch of kids he has little connection with. He will feel like an outsider even more than he has at Purdue. I really expected him to move to a league where he could be more dominant.

Michigan uses up 2 years of scholarship on a one year player. UM tends to be a finesse team that shoots outside and does a lot of pick & roll plays. That means they need guards who can shoot, and drive the ball. Jelly was not really good at either skill.

I can’t see Howard tampering for a player with as many faults as Nojel. Maybe momma set this up ahead of time. After all, Howard is an NBA guy, so he has got to know the secret handshakes and back doors Of the league. TIC, of course.

There is another aspect that is a bit darker. Why would Howard touch this mess? He has little to gain, and it has a bad appearance to the other schools in the conference. It has a stink about it that is hard to shake. UM usually would take the high road and say no thank you. Seems really funny as I think about it.

Wow. I was not expecting him to stay within B1G. He's still a fish in a big pond. Thought it might help his confidence/assertiveness at a mid-major conference where a coach would let him play through his mistakes offensively (ala Haarms).

Not sure how much freedom and/or opportunity he will get at Mich with their roster next year. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
The more I think about this, the more I think this is a really bad idea. A bad idea for both Jelly and Michigan. It just doesn’t make sense

Jelly will have the same pressures and same competition that he has struggled against for 3 years. How is this going to showcase his skills? Furthermore, he will now be playing with a bunch of kids he has little connection with. He will feel like an outsider even more than he has at Purdue. I really expected him to move to a league where he could be more dominant.

Michigan uses up 2 years of scholarship on a one year player. UM tends to be a finesse team that shoots outside and does a lot of pick & roll plays. That means they need guards who can shoot, and drive the ball. Jelly was not really good at either skill.

I can’t see Howard tampering for a player with as many faults as Nojel. Maybe momma set this up ahead of time. After all, Howard is an NBA guy, so he has got to know the secret handshakes and back doors Of the league. TIC, of course.

There is another aspect that is a bit darker. Why would Howard touch this mess? He has little to gain, and it has a bad appearance to the other schools in the conference. It has a stink about it that is hard to shake. UM usually would take the high road and say no thank you. Seems really funny as I think about it.
I think it is a bad decision, but it is not mine to make and I bear no responsibility for the results of that decision. Nojel, his mother, and any influential friends of Nojels share in the results. I doubt Howard went looking. I assume contact came out of Nojel's corner and was understood before going in the portal. It is what it is. I may be wrong, but for those that feel a dislike for how Nojel handled this, consider that Nojel may live with this decision wondering what if the rest of his life.

I don't see value in cutting down Nojel, but to each his own. I am excited about the Purdue program and I'm sure we all agree with that..

not sure Howard is the finesse person Beilein was

Keep it classy Boilers!

Maybe he is joining the football team? Always thought we would have made one hell of defensive end or potentially a tight end.
Man, he puts on another 20 lbs of muscle and he could be a beast TE... don’t let Harbawl find him...

Wow...Lol...didn't see this coming....

1. What a gamble by Howard. Grad transfers to fill rosters out make sense in today's landscape, but taking a two for one guard with offensive limitations is puzzling. I honestly thought he would end up at Nebraska because Hoiberg is desperate for any B1G level players and transfers are his thing. But Michigan?

2. I've been sitting on this, but I bet Nojel has the "flu" before game @ Mackey and would be shocked if he actually plays. I don't think he will be able to handle it. Did anyone notice at the beginning of the year his wrist only hurt before he had to shoot free throws and he would exit the game? I didn't post for obvious reasons and I try to stay positive, but was that obvious to anyone else? If you can't handle pressure to shoot FTs against Green Bay up 20 at home in front of fans who want you to succeed, can you imagine him coming out wearing a Michigan jersey to a hostile Mackey crowd?

3. This makes the team better. Your 2 Sr's walk out and one transfers within the conference to a rival? Talk about something to unify the guys and put them on edge for next year. I would head straight to the gym and put up 500 shots after hearing this. No way I lose to that guy in 2 years.

4. I always liked Nojel. He was a favorite and loved the effort he gave to this team for 3 years. I'm glad he is still going to get a great degree. Hopefully he finds whatever it is he's looking for, and I wish it worked out at Purdue.

From my understanding, the Men's basketball rotations for the 20-game conference schedule are based on 6-year cycles....and 2018-19 was the first year this was adopted.....so running through the 2023-2024 season:

Three in-state rivalries played every year (home/away):

Illinois/Northwestern
Purdue/Indiana
Michigan/Michigan State

Regional Rivalries - 10 times in the cycle:

East (Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers)
West (Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin)

All others - 9 times in the cycle

Each team plays 120 games in the cycle - Purdue would play Indiana 12 times and everyone else 9 times, and so on. Maryland would play its three regional rivals 10 times, and everyone else 9 times, and so on.

Purdue and Michigan are 9 times this cycle (2019 - @ Michigan; 2020 (home/away). I think these are supposed to alternate each year, so based on that, it would seem like next year would be a single game @ Purdue). It would take two cycles to even out for every team/opponent home and away I think. Life in the Big Ten (14?). Don't blame me, I'm a rag-top man.

815af6514e298a41aea3c5da6d5838b5.jpg
That would be beyond awesome. I can hear the chants now.

I had most all of these thoughts too ... where oh where is the benefit to either one? What is missing? How does this make any sense to either side?

I don't disagree on your thoughts on what he provided at/for Purdue, but, I had a problem with him being named captain when it happened, and, way more so of one now...in light of what happened last season, and, certainly since.

Are we sure Juwan Howard did not accidentally dial the wrong number? With the very highly rated recruiting class Michigan has coming and being in on a number of top recruits in coming years, this seems to make very little sense for Michigan, and I really do not understand how Nojel thinks he is going to play a bigger role in the offense at Michigan with the competition he is going to have at Michigan.

I wish him well, but I do not get this move.

Michigan has 3 guys transferring this year. Not saying it's smart, especially a 1 for 2 guy. And I'd be shocked if Nojel starts if he does in fact sit out a year. Michigan missed out on some of their top PG targets...so they'll be trying again...

B
Michigan fan here...board members aren’t happy at all about this addition and it has many of us questioning juwan and his ability to construct a roster. Easterns a good defender but horrendous offensively. He was the lowest want by me of all the kids we had on our transfer board smh
Your coach has never been considered the sharpest knife in the drawer. Belein would never have taken a kid from another Big 10 team, but then he has class and Howard is....Howard.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Will be a challenge to top the Branden Dawson reception back in the day. Unfortunately Tom Izzo went crying to the Big Ten in advance of that game to prevent chants directed at specific players.
I actually think the best team/crowd strategy is to foul him then for Mackey to go dead silent when he steps to the line.

I had most all of these thoughts too ... where oh where is the benefit to either one? What is missing? How does this make any sense to either side?
The only way to make sense of this is that Eastern/his mom believes Painter's motion offense and/or some sort of mental issues he was experiencing at Purdue was holding him back and that a change of system and/or scenery would clear it and she was able to convince Howard of this. He is an athletic, former 4* recruit with lots of experience, and Howard probably figures taking a flier on that chance is as good as his next best option for the available scholly. Worst case he figures he has a lock down defender on his bench at his disposal. That's all I can think of. Michigan was pretty good recently with a point guard who wasn't much of a shooter. I'm sure mama sees a taller Zavier Simpson in her son. Now where this all gets interesting is what happens when he doesn't get the minutes he got at Purdue or finds that the ghosts followed him to Ann Arbor.

You are giving him/them WAY too much credit...they can't see the obvious (or refuse to)...no way that they did ANY research on anything...the mere fact that nobody involved acknowledges that a complete inability to actually shoot the basketball matters is ridiculous...thinking that it somehow will magically happen all of a sudden...more so.
Everyone knows how to defend him. My huge fear is seeing him eat Eric and Isaiah alive

Howard was taught by Freider and Steve Fisher. He knows how to cheat and I'm guessing he can tamper with the best of them...or have someone tamper for him. My guess.....Eastern now has a bit of dirt under his fingernails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT