ADVERTISEMENT

Nojel to Michigan

I might be mistaken but I think John Beilein helped facilitate the transfer of Spike to Purdue. He felt bad there was no opening on the UM team for him.

Not initially, Mathboy. At first, Beilein's position was to restrict any transfer to another conference school and anyone on UM's schedule. I think that had something to do with the recent transfer (at the time) of Biefeldt from Michigan to Indiana. Not sure of all the details that went in to agreeing to the release.....there was some negative press IIRC. In the end, it all worked out, and I would guess John Beilein is glad it ended up that way, as is Spike Albrecht and Matt Painter. JMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Not initially Mathboy. At first, Beilein's position was to restrict any transfer to another conference school and anyone on UM's schedule. I think that had something to do with the recent transfer (at the time) of Biefeldt from Michigan to Indiana. Not sure of all the details that went in to agreeing to the release.....there was some negative press IIRC. In the end, it all worked out, and I would guess John Beilein is glad it ended up that way, as is Spike Albrecht and Matt Painter. JMHO
It may never happen, but I'd love to see Beilien back in the Big 10. Class act, great coach, leader of young men, and great for the league.

And why Meetchicken? What do they have that is going to turn Nojel into an overnight lottery pick? Here's what they have....a coach who grew up in a cheater's environment under Fisher. A coach who played on a team that "allegedly" drove new cars, "allegedly" had new clothes, who "allegedly" was coddled by boosters. If it stinks like a dead Wolverine, it's probably a dead Wolverine.
Aren't you glad we don't get Wal-Mart Wolverines running over here to rebut every statement like the toothless Molester State defenders?

Yep. If the transfer rule doesn’t change he will be SOL and headed overseas. Will be unfortunate that he didn’t complete his education and have a degree to fall back on.
At the end of the day it's unfortunate but I also won't feel sorry for him. I know that is harsh based off the time he gave to Purdue, but at the end of the day the individual is responsible for their actions and choices and it appears he let the wrong people influence his decision making.

When your "posse" keeps telling you that "you are that damned good", you don't need no stinkin' ejumucashion. He'll make millions.
Posse implies there were multiple people telling him this nonsense. Do you think there are other voices? I assumed it was mom only.

Posse implies there were multiple people telling him this nonsense. Do you think there are other voices? I assumed it was mom only.
I really think the rest of the world (i.e., teammates and coaches at Purdue) was telling him to suck it up and finish what he started and that was enough to counter Mom until she got an ally in Covid and had him at home all alone where she could work on his "mental issues" and "get right". 8 weeks later and her work is done with the assistance of Juwan Howard. I'm sure Mom has had a tough life as a single parent but the promise of a pro son some day has kept her going. Clearly Matt Painter was not going to get him that life because he was an all world scorer before he came to Purdue and forgot that it was possible to put a basketball through a rim from ten feet away. I'm sure that his shooting touch has been miraculously rediscovered by leaving.

Treed made it known on here that he was getting advice from others. Advice on his shooting, advice on how to play, advice on how to reach the NBA.

I really wonder if the NBA is Nojel's dream, or the dream of Treed and others who might benefit from an NBA paycheck. Again, I only hope for the best for the young man.

Nobody here knows why Nojel transferred.

They say he drained his shots during practice. Why he did not during the game could be for different reasons. Per his mother, he had personal issues that probably affected his play. He probably put a lot of weight on himself to drain every shot and this factor put undue stress on himself. This is why I never talk negatively against a player. Coaches know that most players the harder you are on them, the harder they play. However, there are some players you build up or they will tense up affecting their shot..

Two factors that I noticed is that Nojel worked hard during the off season and put on about 25 pounds of muscle. This changes a player's shot. He also seemed to shoot more running baby hooks with either hand as the season went on. This is an important piece of anyone's arsenal and IMO if he worked on it during the off season, this would be huge.

I love defensive players and losing these two players will be tough. However, I pray that the rest of the squad uses this as motivation to make tremendous strides in the offseason.

Reactions: Purdue85

They say he drained his shots during practice. Why he did not during the game could be for different reasons. Per his mother, he had personal issues that probably affected his play. He probably put a lot of weight on himself to drain every shot and this factor put undue stress on himself. This is why I never talk negatively against a player. Coaches know that most players the harder you are on them, the harder they play. However, there are some players you build up or they will tense up affecting their shot..

Two factors that I noticed is that Nojel worked hard during the off season and put on about 25 pounds of muscle. This changes a player's shot. He also seemed to shoot more running baby hooks with either hand as the season went on. This is an important piece of anyone's arsenal and IMO if he worked on it during the off season, this would be huge.

I love defensive players and losing these two players will be tough. However, I pray that the rest of the squad uses this as motivation to make tremendous strides in the offseason.
There are centers that "drain shots" during practice. Making them in a game is entirely different. Nojel had 3 years to show he had any sort of competent offensive game. It's just the player he is. Blaming his poor offensive performances on 3 years of mental issues or anything else is just an excuse.

Re the bold (above), and you're the better person for it, too.

I get it: we talk basketball here, and sometimes discuss players that are struggling. There are some people here who, for whatever reasons, feel the need to tear down, speak poorly of, and "rip on" players. That's on them.

Re the bold (above), and you're the better person for it, too.

I get it: we talk basketball here, and sometimes discuss players that are struggling. There are some people here who, for whatever reasons, feel the need to tear down, speak poorly of, and "rip on" players. That's on them.

Three completely subjective terms ...

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
What I found to be most eye-opening was how quickly the most ardent members of the board police switched sides and joined in the foray. It's almost as if they felt obliged to defend the player from criticism, but once it was clear he was out the door it was open season.
You think? Big difference between one of our players and a guy who leaves the program hanging. We are all judged by our actions. These actions justify a re-evaluation of our opinion of the player. It seems pretty simple.

I don’t know why you struggle to understand this situation.

Reactions: Inspector100
You think? Big difference between one of our players and a guy who leaves the program hanging. We are all judged by our actions. These actions justify a re-evaluation of our opinion of the player. It seems pretty simple.

I don’t know why you struggle to understand this situation.

I don't struggle to understand it. He deserved criticism as a player the entire time. If you changed your opinion about him because of the way he left the program then that's fine, in my opinion he deserves it. But to jump onboard criticizing all those things you defended previously seems hypocritical. For instance to many, he "struggled with his confidence". Once he left, people stopped just short of calling him a "head case". The amount of brown-nosing to his mother was, frankly, stomach-turning. But once he left it was open season on both. Their most vociferous defenders did not just go quiet, they actually joined in the criticism.

What I found to be most eye-opening was how quickly the most ardent members of the board police switched sides and joined in the foray. It's almost as if they felt obliged to defend the player from criticism, but once it was clear he was out the door it was open season.

Then call out each one.

Specifically.

Don't be ambiguous and vague. If you think someone isn't consistent, out with it.

Otherwise, you risk becoming a part of what you're criticizing.

Reactions: Inspector100
I don't struggle to understand it. He deserved criticism as a player the entire time. If you changed your opinion about him because of the way he left the program then that's fine, in my opinion he deserves it. But to jump onboard criticizing all those things you defended previously seems hypocritical. For instance to many, he "struggled with his confidence". Once he left, people stopped just short of calling him a "head case". The amount of brown-nosing to his mother was, frankly, stomach-turning. But once he left it was open season on both. Their most vociferous defenders did not just go quiet, they actually joined in the criticism.
I find that most people that criticize a single player have little sense of how the games are won or lost. Last year Grady Eifert received a lot of undue criticism from our message board coaches. That I found that ‘stomach turning’, so I know how you feel. I tend to refute those who pick on one player and churn out the same nonsense game after game. In those situations, I tend toward supporting our players.

I defended Nojel from criticism on here. Gosh darn it, I also stuck up for Wheeler. Shame on me for now for calling Nojel’s decision to leave ‘tragic’ and poorly thought through. I confess I am one of those turn coats who now finds reasons to criticize a player who quit the team. I am uncertain if I will live through the drama, but I think some Jamisons might help. You should try it. It helps quell those holier than thou urges. Yes, I get them too. See this post as example #1,567.
:cool:

Last edited:

In my view, this isn't something that should be a contentious subject. My view of him as a Purdue player was as follows:

1) Loved his defense.
2) Loved that he handled the ball well.
3) Was hopeful that his senior year he'd show he could hit open shots.

As with all Purdue players, I remain hopeful that their weaknesses are removed/improved and their strengths are better. Fairly simple.

Now... When events change, it is only logical to expect everyone to reassess:

He's skipping out on his senior year, skipping out on a Purdue degree, skipping out on his team and coaches.. just to try to make it to the next level (he had just as good as a chance here as anywhere). I am particularly stung by the fact that two captains, entering their senior year, left. Then, commits quickly to a team within our conference.

If he stayed, my first three points would still be in effect.

ADVERTISEMENT