ADVERTISEMENT

Need Teams like Arkansas in the B1G

If that was the recipe for automatic success, why hasn't a new coach come into the league, and completely dominated everyone else by building that type of team? Because it's not an automatic thing
Overall, recruiting in the B10 is well behind the ACC and even the SEC.
Look at Purdue. Painter is supposedly a great coach (not my words) yet he can’t or won’t recruit athletes with any consistency. He still believes in running the offense through a big slow low post.

Speed, pressure and athletic. Exactly what we need more of. Love that CMP agreed to this game. Just wish we saw this kind of team in January and February. Because that is for sure what we will see in March.
Without a doubt, Arkansas is likely one of the most if not THE most athletic team in the country. It has been that way off an on for a decade. We are not likely to see another team THAT athletic and talented all year...even in the tourney.

Without a doubt, Arkansas is likely one of the most if not THE most athletic team in the country. It has been that way off an on for a decade. We are not likely to see another team THAT athletic and talented all year...even in the tourney.
I do think the style of play is somewhat similar to Florida State that Purdue has played before a few times. They made some tough shots and were an old team with more physical maturity as well. They were good today and Purdue not so good

The old Midwest rocky balboa of slug it out basketball provides interesting entertainment through the cold winter months of the Midwest, the emergence of teams like UCLA and others brought into the BIG , will hopefully start changing this dynamic as this style is generally toast by mid tournament NCAA....we have to evolve to it , if we want to ever compete at final four level, could we stumble our way in ....sure....but image Edey with 3 athletic guys on the floor pressing and controlling a fast up tempo game.... Colvin , Heide reflect that change with some experience, but Edey will be gone by the time they evolve ....so back to slug fest basketball.....who knows 🤔

I do think the style of play is somewhat similar to Florida State that Purdue has played before a few times. They made some tough shots and were an old team with more physical maturity as well. They were good today and Purdue not so good
Didn’t they have three new transfers playing a significant role?

Purdue has athletic guards myles Colvin heide and Waddell and athletic big in berg I will like to see painter play these guys and Kanon catchings coming in next year he has to play these guys

These type teams are what give us problems every time. While Arkansas may be more so than others, there are many of them. Just look at the dance every year. My point was/is that we need more teams like this in the B1G. We have nothing like that in our conference. It would not only be good for PU, it would be good for the conference as a whole. 23 years and counting....

I believe the F8 will be every bit as athletic - enough to severely test us. While Purdue helps teams look athletic, the Ark team posses F8 athleticism, but is also very long. Both which gave us trouble all game.

Didn’t they have three new transfers playing a significant role?
Yes, maybe more. I think the 1-3 that played to most minutes were 4 and 5 year guys. However, all things are not equal between two different approaches. I'll probably make a thread on that for any interested in my take

Overall, recruiting in the B10 is well behind the ACC and even the SEC.
Look at Purdue. Painter is supposedly a great coach (not my words) yet he can’t or won’t recruit athletes with any consistency. He still believes in running the offense through a big slow low post.
Is it possible kids look at other things like weather when making college decisions? Let’s be honest, West Lafayette for most of the school year is pretty miserable!

Yes if edey makes that dunk Purdue wins but Colvin and hiede and Waddell has to play and some point berg
Cam went it early as Purdue tried to get a more athletic person in. He drove baseline for a dunk and then had two in the lane, but decided to see if the ball had air in it and dribbled once to test the ball and then missed the shot. Probably should have just jumped up clearing the arms and tried to dunk it. Myles went in and hit a shot and maybe got a block at the other end? However, as teh game came to a close...the experienced players were on the court. I doubt Berg sees much action this year and think maybe Brian was a bit too frail for this game for his playing time?

Last edited:
Yes, maybe more. I think the 1-3 that played to most minutes were 4 and 5 year guys. However, all things are not equal between two different approaches. I'll probably make a thread on that for any interested in my take
The kid with the black glasses was a true freshman

Reactions: tjreese
The kid with the black glasses was a true freshman
Yes, and was very good. However, the three 1-3 that had the most minutes I think were the older players. There are some things to clean up, but no reason to hit the panic mode at this time I don't believe. I doubt Zach plays 24 minutes in a close game all year...and that included an extra 5 minutes. Unforced errors...will they be with the team all year or will they get cleaned up and will we know if we don't see the same length and quickness in other teams?

I think missing some shots are a bit more of a concern. I also think that if you play Trey at the 4 you don't play him out on the perimeter, but you go to war in the lane...or another 4 may be better if you are playing the 4 like many previous years. all this...and if Arkansas doesn't hit some desperation shots Purdue wins. Any desperation shots Purdue took? I do wish that when players front Zack and there is pressure on the ball for the pass that Purdue would take a couple of dribbles to feed Zach as he seals his man top side for a baseline pass. I know many teams scrape baseline, but trying to lob the ball by clearing backside is a softer pass by nature...and slower as well. Feeding Zach will get better, but Matt rarely if ever feeds the post off a dribble unless it ends up a lob by Braden and a baseline feed is about as rare even though a scrape may not have the room without knocking the ball out of bounds. Years ago it seemed feeding the post along the baseline was much more common. These teams that pressure the perimeter and then front the post make it difficult to feed a stationary Zach and stationary passer.

Last edited:
Is it possible kids look at other things like weather when making college decisions? Let’s be honest, West Lafayette for most of the school year is pretty miserable!
UConn, KU, UK, Gonzaga, MSU-to name a few…don’t have good weather and recruit pretty well…

Purdue has athletic guards myles Colvin heide and Waddell and athletic big in berg I will like to see painter play these guys and Kanon catchings coming in next year he has to play these guys
Berg has potential to be good but has a ways to go. Encouraged by his shooting and footwork, I’m not sure how much time he will get this year…maybe 2-5 max mins. Next year prob 8-10. And then it’ll be interesting to see how he is after that.

Kanon, Myles and Heide will be fun to watch mixed in with smith, Loyer and TKR next year

Weather has nothing to do with recruiting.
Correct. Long, athletic types look to power-5 conf programs for max-exposure. Thats half the battle. Check.
Then, the kid(s) ask themselves "which offensive styles do team a, b, or c use to showcase my talent?, a 1980's 'feed the post' style, or a modern, fast-paced one"? Hmmmm not so much of a check there.

Reactions: bonefish1
WYes if edey makes that dunk Purdue wins but Colvin and hiede and Waddell has to play and some point berg
Disappointing to not see Colvin, Heide and Waddell not play more in a game that didn’t matter record wise. Would have been great experience for them.

These type teams are what give us problems every time. While Arkansas may be more so than others, there are many of them. Just look at the dance every year. My point was/is that we need more teams like this in the B1G. We have nothing like that in our conference. It would not only be good for PU, it would be good for the conference as a whole. 23 years and counting....
Just realized I replied to the wrong post. Totally agree that facing athletic teams on a more regular basis could only help. It's not as if those teams are unbeatable, though...far from it. Just ask the slow, plodding Wisconsin teams of the late 90's to early 00's. Being able to make open shots goes a long, long way.

IMO, it wasn't "athleticism" that beat us in the tourney the last three years. It was mostly due to poor shooting that ultimately did us in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Misfit1
Just realized I replied to the wrong post. Totally agree that facing athletic teams on a more regular basis could only help. It's not as if those teams are unbeatable, though...far from it. Just ask the slow, plodding Wisconsin teams of the late 90's to early 00's. Being able to make open shots goes a long, long way.

IMO, it wasn't "athleticism" that beat us in the tourney the last three years. It was mostly due to poor shooting that ultimately did us in.
Purdue beat itself the last few years. Teams dedicated a lot to Zach and others never compensated...and there was some unheady play. That said, Purdue did miss a lot of open shots...behind the arc except for maybe Jaden. I think he missed some in the lane. Purdue was suppose to have shooters, but missing open looks brings a lot of questions. Purdue could have used some scorers the last few years and many of the players were limited as a scorer, but suppose to be shooters. Purdue has Purdue to blame, but it is true that quickness surrounding zach is many time problematic for Zach.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT