ADVERTISEMENT

Most encouraging to me from last night

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
Obviously we can talk about the 8-10 from three in the 2nd half, the clutch shots by guys and winning despite Illinois shooting more free throws. Those are great. But...

Most impressive to me was holding Illinois to 71 points (and 31 in the 2nd half). Illinois has an impressively explosive offense. They entered the game #2 at KenPom and have averaged 91 points in the 9 games prior to playing Purdue. They were firing on all cylinders and I had little confidence we could slow them down (hence why I placed a money losing bet on the O164.5 prior to the game).

On the flipside, I've been preaching that people were focused on the wrong things when Purdue looked less dominant for a few weeks. In the 8 game stretch starting with the OT win over NW, Purdue was just 12th nationally in efficiency margin. But we were still #2 in adjusted offensive efficiency. So clamoring for more scoring during that stretch made little sense to me. On the flip side, during that same 8 game stretch, Purdue was #123 in adjusted defensive efficiency. That's five alarm fire mediocre for a national title hopeful. That's why our defensive effort last night was impressive and much needed.

And when your defense is better your not taking the ball out of the basket and inbounding allowing the opponent to set up their defense. You will get some run outs off of defensive rebounds and transition threes like Gillis got last night. So better defense can help your offense.

Obviously we can talk about the 8-10 from three in the 2nd half, the clutch shots by guys and winning despite Illinois shooting more free throws. Those are great. But...

Most impressive to me was holding Illinois to 71 points (and 31 in the 2nd half). Illinois has an impressively explosive offense. They entered the game #2 at KenPom and have averaged 91 points in the 9 games prior to playing Purdue. They were firing on all cylinders and I had little confidence we could slow them down (hence why I placed a money losing bet on the O164.5 prior to the game).

On the flipside, I've been preaching that people were focused on the wrong things when Purdue looked less dominant for a few weeks. In the 8 game stretch starting with the OT win over NW, Purdue was just 12th nationally in efficiency margin. But we were still #2 in adjusted offensive efficiency. So clamoring for more scoring during that stretch made little sense to me. On the flip side, during that same 8 game stretch, Purdue was #123 in adjusted defensive efficiency. That's five alarm fire mediocre for a national title hopeful. That's why our defensive effort last night was impressive and much needed.

It was amazing to me how they shut down TSJ & Hawkins two players putting up 21-28 pts a game over the last bunch of games. Those two were not just scoring, but of late were unstoppable.

To IL credit they shut down Edey in last 13+ minutes. But Purdue responded by other players scoring. And while doing so, allowed no scoring from anyone but Domask. Shut the water off on everyone else. Given the #2 offense, best job of D all year.

Painter gave a lot of credit for the defense to his offense. Not many turnovers that could lead to runouts. Obviously fantastic shooting in the 2nd half not allowing for runouts.

I thought the biggest issue defensively was Illinois' ability to get and-1s. Granted some of them were wrong or weak, but they made most of their hay that way.

It was amazing to me how they shut down TSJ & Hawkins two players putting up 21-28 pts a game over the last bunch of games. Those two were not just scoring, but of late were unstoppable.

To IL credit they shut down Edey in last 13+ minutes. But Purdue responded by other players scoring. And while doing so, allowed no scoring from anyone but Domask. Shut the water off on everyone else. Given the #2 offense, best job of D all year.
It appeared to me that those couple of falls that Zach had affected him physically and he wasn’t quite as physical after that. There were a couple of balls that he normally would have ripped the rim down that he just laid the ball in. Hopefully he took advantage of some therapy so he recovers quickly.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Agree, but the other thing that impressed was the methodical way that Purdue just kept coming when they were trailing. For pretty much the entire second half it felt like Purdue was in control and when Purdue finally caught up there was a feeling of inevitability.

Reactions: DrEss
Edey broke Hawkins with his dominant block, he was not the same on offense post the posting.
Oh man Illinois twitter still complaining that it was a foul and edey gets all the calls and should gotten a T for the stare down….

But they were quite alright with fletch getting called for a block on the and1 from TSJ when that was clearly a charge. And then they’re ok when Hawkins commits a dirty foul and body checks fletch into the ground and then stares at him. Coulda separated a shoulder with that non bball play

Reactions: RossMackey
Oh man Illinois twitter still complaining that it was a foul and edey gets all the calls and should gotten a T for the stare down….

But they were quite alright with fletch getting called for a block on the and1 from TSJ when that was clearly a charge. And then they’re ok when Hawkins commits a dirty foul and body checks fletch into the ground and then stares at him. Coulda separated a shoulder with that non bball play
LOL—- pathological myopia is a requirement to be an Illini fan….

Zach looked a bit hurt. Seemed like he was hobbling a bit. He scored only 6 of our 28 in the last 13 min.

Fletcher, Lance and Braden scored the last 13.

A fletch 3, a floater by fletch, Lance 3 (assisted by Edey off a rebound) and Braden’s back breaking, ice cold 3 from 4 ft behind the 3 in TSJs face.

I was encouraged that we could score against a team like Illinois and didn’t have to depend on Zach to close the game.

Zach was beaten up, hobbled and playing through contact . Refs decided to let everything go inside in the last ten minutes. Zach shot 4 free throws and they are complaining? I counted 3 fouls on one Zach possession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT