ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee rematch

BoilerDeac

All-American
Oct 21, 2014
New York, NY
Can’t lie, would be feeling much better with Creighton.

Earlier this season against Tennessee:

1) Zeigler was on a minutes restriction
2) Knecht scored 3 points in the 2nd half
3) Purdue shot 48 free throws
4) Loyer scored 27 points
5) Tenn shot 33% from the field and 26% from three

And Purdue only won by 4 points.

Ugh. This worries me. Really hope Purdue plays its best game of the season.

Separately, it’s slightly annoying to see the cupcake of a path to the final four that Duke has ended up with…13 seed, 12 seed, Houston with its All-American guard injured in game, and now an 11 seed.

Separately, it’s slightly annoying to see the cupcake of a path to the final four that Duke has ended up with…13 seed, 12 seed, Houston with its All-American guard injured in game, and now an 11 seed.
Alternatively, Edey only played 26 minutes due to foul trouble and Braden had 1 assist, 3 turnovers, and shot 2/9 from the field and we still won.

Copied my post from another thread..,

All we heard was how much better Gonzaga is versus the first time we played. Now the same about Tennessee. I don’t doubt either statement. But it turns out ( and Gonzaga found out) that Purdue is much better too. Smith was not looking to score back then vs the Vols. Lance Jones was still finding his way on a new team. Gillis was not a go to bench scorer ( he had zero) now he is a three point scorer at about 40% and an excellent post passer. Furst played 20 minutes, but Painter now says he is going with his more skilled players, Freshman Heide and Colvin, who weren’t really ready versus Tennessee ( they had zero points, rebounds and assists). Edey missed 8 free throws, Smith was 2-6. Not likely to happen again. It likely will be like a Big Ten grinder of a game. I think Purdue can compete against improved Tennessee.

Edey only played 26 minutes and was in foul trouble. Also missed a lot of FTs. Furst played 20 minutes I think TKR and Gillis taking more minutes from Furst at this time makes us better. Smith and Loyer could swap stats.

Ehhhh. Scheirerman and Alexander posed matchup problems for us and Kalk and their PG were pretty solid as well.

UT is very good and physical but we matchup better with them and I’ll very interested to see how the refs call this. Hopefully not similar to Maui, but if UT fouls like they did in Maui, hope they don’t let those go.

My biggest concern in this game is we’ve seemed to have Tennessees number lately and their fans are nuts about it. Will that be in their heads or will they be playing possessed?

Plus you can only beat the same team so many times before they break through. Worst possible time would be tomorrow

That being said. I’m rewatching the Maui game. The whole set of Maui games are crazy to watch because of how no teams really played the way they are playing now. A lot of anomalies. We were the better team then, were the better team now. Let’s just hope we show up, play our normal game and they don’t have a player that catches fire from three

Reactions: Schnelk
Rick already starting with the foul crap. Only reason he knows they can’t run with his straight up. He knows he has to play overly physical and berate the refs enough in hope they let stuff slide.

Rick already starting with the foul crap. Only reason he knows they can’t run with his straight up. He knows he has to play overly physical and berate the refs enough in hope they let stuff slide.

I’m rewatching the game now. 12 mins left in the game. There were 2 fouls called on Tennessee in the second half and tennesssee was in the bonus. They got to the double bonus before they got 5 fouls.

They called way fewer calls on them and more bs ones on us, and Edey had 4 with 8 mins left.

The game got out of control because they were flying around and running into everyone and it got fouls called on both sides even though it was mostly then

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Tennessee has to love the way this game is being called. Zach is going to get the crap beat out of him if called the same tomorrow. We better hit our 3’s.

Tennessee has to love the way this game is being called. Zach is going to get the crap beat out of him if called the same tomorrow. We better hit our 3’s.

I just commented on that in another thread. Even the announcers are surprised and amazed the contact they are letting go. Hope these aren't our refs??

23-28 because of all the contact. Way too physical.

Reactions: DrEss
Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room.

Late Lament
Graham Edge, The Moody Blues

In other word... All is nonsense. We are good. Stay Frosty.

Go Boilers!
75dfcd20-951b-44c9-9ef4-8e98e5f4b03f_text.gif

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
I just commented on that in another thread. Even the announcers are surprised and amazed the contact they are letting go. Hope these aren't our refs??

23-28 because of all the contact. Way too physical.
Contact isn’t the problem now. Illinois has a lid on the basket. Literally didn’t score for 50+ mins of real time. UConn went on 30-0 run lol

That's for sure. 6 pts in 10 minutes.

But in H1 contact on both teams was keeping score low.

H2???? Poor execution by ILL

Domask 7/12 from the field.....the rest of the Illinois team - 7/47.......ouch.

Can't recall ever seeing a 30-0 run (which carried over from the first half). And, Illinois didn't really turn it over.....plus other than Clingan, Connecticut didn't do much in the first half either.

My biggest concern in this game is we’ve seemed to have Tennessees number lately and their fans are nuts about it. Will that be in their heads or will they be playing possessed?

Plus you can only beat the same team so many times before they break through. Worst possible time would be tomorrow

That being said. I’m rewatching the Maui game. The whole set of Maui games are crazy to watch because of how no teams really played the way they are playing now. A lot of anomalies. We were the better team then, were the better team now. Let’s just hope we show up, play our normal game and they don’t have a player that catches fire from three
As a TN fan, while we wish we could have pulled out some of these recent games, I wouldn’t say it has driven us nuts. Purdue has been the better team lately. The Carsen Edwards game is the one that really sticks in our craw.

As a TN fan, while we wish we could have pulled out some of these recent games, I wouldn’t say it has driven us nuts. Purdue has been the better team lately. The Carsen Edwards game is the one that really sticks in our craw.
Still one of the all time favorites. Crazy part it wasn’t Carsen who went nuclear, it was Cline. I still grit my teeth when he knocked down the shot over Grant Williams. Pretty sure I was screaming to pass it.

Should be another fun one.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room.

Late Lament
Graham Edge, The Moody Blues

In other word... All is nonsense. We are good. Stay Frosty.

Go Boilers!
Once upon a time
Once when you were mine
I remember skies
Mirrored in your eyes
I wonder where you are
I wonder if you think about me
Once upon a time
In your wildest dreams

Tennessee could win for sure but I think we learned yesterday that Purdue has changed as much as the other teams have since Maui.
How so? We won by 10 in Maui, 12 the other day.

The only real change in the rotation is Heide basically switching roles with Morton.

Purdue lost to Wisconsin and then beat Grambling, Utah St and the same Gonzaga team by 2 more points. In my view the Gonzaga win is the only one that means anything.

We won the Maui invitational by beating Gonzaga, Tennessee and Marquette.

I think we're basically the same team. Hopefully still 4 points better than Tennessee.

The ILL game vs UConn is the exact scenario that I fear vs TN. I was stunned by how many missed open looks and layups Illinois had in H2. Was it because of a 2nd game in 3 days?
You can strategize, prepare, gameplan, and practice, as a team and coaching staff but if you cant hit the ocean from the beach......

Of course, you can say the same thing about TN. The way they play aggressive defense (if that is a factor) then we should have the fresher legs.

The only real change in the rotation is Heide basically switching roles with Morton.

Purdue lost to Wisconsin and then beat Grambling, Utah St and the same Gonzaga team by 2 more points. In my view the Gonzaga win is the only one that means anything.

I think we're basically the same team. Hopefully still 4 points better than Tennessee.
Genuine question, not trying to pick an argument, have you re-watched the Maui games? I was thinking the same as you, but we watched parts and was surprised.

That's a pretty simplistic take looking simply at the spread.

We played better this time against Gonzaga than last time, we led almost the entire way instead of a close back and forth battle into the second half and we didn't win because Gonzaga missed 17 threes.

Morton and Furst aren't playing major minutes. Smith isn't shooting like he did the first time against TN. Gillis is a completely different player too.

Last edited:
Reactions: northside100
Still one of the all time favorites. Crazy part it wasn’t Carsen who went nuclear, it was Cline. I still grit my teeth when he knocked down the shot over Grant Williams. Pretty sure I was screaming to pass it.

Should be another fun one.
Absolutely - Cline went ballistic that game, and I had no idea where that came from. Was that his best game ever?

I was on mission at Fort Dix at that time, and was watching the game in my barracks, on my cell phone, with the crappiest cell signal you can imagine. Will never forget it.

I just remember the defender breathing on Edwards when they called that foul - totally deflated after that. I’ve been watching UT BB since 1978 and I think that was our best team since that time. This years team is just behind it IMO.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Absolutely - Cline went ballistic that game, and I had no idea where that came from. Was that his best game ever?

I was on mission at Fort Dix at that time, and was watching the game in my barracks, on my cell phone, with the crappiest cell signal you can imagine. Will never forget it.

I just remember the defender breathing on Edwards when they called that foul - totally deflated after that. I’ve been watching UT BB since 1978 and I think that was our best team since that time. This years team is just behind it IMO.
I think it was one of his highest scoring games ever but don’t know.

That Tennessee team had some studs on it. Admiral Scofield - all time great name.

Side note, didn’t know Vescovi is dealing with the flu bug.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT