ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant center is not Edey?

Typically players who don’t get to play a lot look to score a lot of points in their limited action just to generate some stats. They are also playing against the other team’s third string players. The philosophy of I gotta get some points in my 2 minutes of play is contagious for the other players who also took shots to get their 2 points. This typically way overinflated their points per minutes stats.

Basically the philosophy to use is not stats, but rather if his performance dictated more playing time, he’d receive more playing time. There is a reason why he’s not getting very many minutes.

When Catchings arrives, Berg is still not going to start, contrary to your stupid points per minutes stats.

Typically players who don’t get to play a lot look to score a lot of points in their limited action just to generate some stats. They are also playing against the other team’s third string players. The philosophy of I gotta get some points in my 2 minutes of play is contagious for the other players who also took shots to get their 2 points. This typically way overinflated their points per minutes stats.

Basically the philosophy to use is not stats, but rather if his performance dictated more playing time, he’d receive more playing time. There is a reason why he’s not getting very many minutes.

When Catchings arrives, Berg is still not going to start, contrary to your stupid points per minutes stats.
Thanks Mr. Obvious, that was a great review.

But Wadell’s ppm stats were even more impressive! Surely Wadell should be considered for all American status!

But Wadell’s ppm stats were even more impressive! Surely Wadell should be considered for all American status!
Possibly, can you break down his per 40 stat line for us? Maybe we should change the post name to “Purdue has 4 all-Americans on the roster?”

Last edited:

Did you really miss the sarcasm that badly?

That was the joke, Wole

Reactions: Zaphod_B

What does Berg have to do with Catchings?

You didn't watch the game?

Reactions: z_one
Berg next year can easily be a 15-20
Minute a night player next year I’m guessing, hopefully, he sticks around. As of now I would think Furst and TKR man the 5-4 spots when next season opens.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Berg next year can easily be a 15-20
Minute a night player next year I’m guessing, hopefully, he sticks around. As of now I would think Furst and TKR man the 5-4 spots when next season opens.
I'm not so sure. If you have a 7' 2" guy with skills, you play him. In fact, Painter talked about is being a bummer that Berg is stuck behind Edey because Berg will be productive at Purdue.

I'm not so sure. If you have a 7' 2" guy with skills, you play him. In fact, Painter talked about is being a bummer that Berg is stuck behind Edey because Berg will be productive at Purdue.

Maybe, guessing at least early Furst the Sr gets first crack at it, I think it’s fair unless Berg is dominate in preseason.

Thru all the sarcasm, I think Berg has more mobility, more natural reaction at this point in his career than Zack had. I had the same feelings about Zack when everyone was poo-pooing him and look at him today. He plays defense, he rebounds, and he dunks every shot....give him encouragement not sarcasm.

Thru all the sarcasm, I think Berg has more mobility, more natural reaction at this point in his career than Zack had. I had the same feelings about Zack when everyone was poo-pooing him and look at him today. He plays defense, he rebounds, and he dunks every shot....give him encouragement not sarcasm.
Don’t let the sarcasm confuse you, i did say it was impressive what he does in a short amount of time. He definitely gets in the game with the mentality to dominate.

Will is the next big thing! You can remove Zach and insert Will without changing your play calling. IMO TKR replaces Zach early, but Will is the next big thing. Daniel Jacobsen rejects the 5 and really is a stretch 4 or even the 3. Think Chet Holgrem or Victor Wimbanyama. Kid doesn't belong in the post with his guard ready game. Raleigh Burgess is another story he is a low post banger and shot blocker. I wouldn't be shocked to see both Daniel and Will on the floor at the same time in the near future. AJ, Isaac, Matt, Zach and next up is Will.

Did you really miss the sarcasm that badly?
No! but you truly missed my sarcasm! I was just posting in the same manner! Based on those stats Wadell is a superstar! But when I post, people think I’m serious!

Unfortunately there are many posters here that actually use those stats and believe they are meaningful . I’ve seen people in the past use those stats to try to justify why a player should start or deserve more playing time. I’ve also seen people use those stats to predict what a player would accomplish if allowed to play 30-40 minutes.

On the other side of the coin, if a player plays 5-10 minutes like Morton and doesn’t score, people who use those same meaningless stats are all over his case and saying he’s worthless.

If you use those type of meaningless stats, surely Myles should replace Loyer ASAP. Myles per minute stats were far superior to Loyer’s.

But in the reality world there is a reason players play the amount of time they play.

I feel sorry for people who are stats driven. They play too many fantasy games and believe stats are the basis of everything. I also get annoyed at people who abuse stats. I once had a season with a 100% FT percentage. I scored 2 points the entire season in the last game of the year in the last 30 seconds of the game. But based on my per minute stats, I should have been starting and would be averaging 80 points a game.

Should we use stats from this game to predict future success for Berg? Isn’t that what people here did to predict the future success of TKR? He looked good in limited minutes . I remember those European games where Wadell scored some points and posters here claimed he would be a significant contributor this year. Where are those posters now?

Who’s better? Tkr, Furst or Gillis? I know what their stats say.

A little tip for those fantasy crazed stats fans. To win your fantasy leagues, it’s more important. To always have 5 good players playing every night for your team than to have 3 superstars that only play 3 games a week. I’ve upset many a fantasy player creating a team based on schedule and availability than on player stats . You are much more successful if you have players playing on teams that play on those off nights.

Berg is a superstar! Morton is a total bust. Just look at their per minute stats! We should bench Loyer and Edey now.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
No! but you truly missed my sarcasm! I was just posting in the same manner! Based on those stats Wadell is a superstar! But when I post, people think I’m serious!

Unfortunately there are many posters here that actually use those stats and believe they are meaningful . I’ve seen people in the past use those stats to try to justify why a player should start or deserve more playing time. I’ve also seen people use those stats to predict what a player would accomplish if allowed to play 30-40 minutes.

On the other side of the coin, if a player plays 5-10 minutes like Morton and doesn’t score, people who use those same meaningless stats are all over his case and saying he’s worthless.

If you use those type of meaningless stats, surely Myles should replace Loyer ASAP. Myles per minute stats were far superior to Loyer’s.

But in the reality world there is a reason players play the amount of time they play.

I feel sorry for people who are stats driven. They play too many fantasy games and believe stats are the basis of everything. I also get annoyed at people who abuse stats. I once had a season with a 100% FT percentage. I scored 2 points the entire season in the last game of the year in the last 30 seconds of the game. But based on my per minute stats, I should have been starting and would be averaging 80 points a game.

Should we use stats from this game to predict future success for Berg? Isn’t that what people here did to predict the future success of TKR? He looked good in limited minutes . I remember those European games where Wadell scored some points and posters here claimed he would be a significant contributor this year. Where are those posters now?

A little tip for those fantasy crazed stats fans. To win your fantasy leagues, it’s more important. To always have 5 good players playing every night for your team than to have 3 superstars that only play 3 games a week. I’ve upset many a fantasy player creating a team based on schedule and availability than on player stats . You are much more successful if you have players playing on teams that play on those off nights.

Berg is a superstar! Morton is a total bust. Just look at their per minute stats! We should bench Loyer and Edey now.
tumblr_mi9t7sDXoQ1r48bg7o1_500.gif

This has to be on the short list of most classic Wole posts!

You should just stop. Think more, write less.

I'll trust Painter on this one. I was impressed with Berg's quickness and reaction time. What little I saw, he looked quicker than Zack.

As an aside, that dunk off the pass from Barrett was ESPN Highlight worthy. Beautiful play for a walk-on and a bench player.
To be clear, "no thank you" was in reference to running the same plays, not any slight on Berg.

I'll trust Painter on this one. I was impressed with Berg's quickness and reaction time. What little I saw, he looked quicker than Zack.

As an aside, that dunk off the pass from Barrett was ESPN Highlight worthy. Beautiful play for a walk-on and a bench player.
Barrett's play was the highlight of the game. I don't know much about him, but I am sure he feels honored to be on the squad. I imagine he is a great locker room addition who always tries to do anything for the team. And now he has a memory that will last a lifetime. I hope someone can make a ten-second video that he can keep on his social media.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
To be clear, "no thank you" was in reference to running the same plays, not any slight on Berg.
I think Berg and Edey will have different styles of play. Edey is a giant hockey player who dominates with combined power and agility. Berg came in with more of a mid-range game wanting to learn from the best to play in the post. When Zack comes outside on offense, it's almost always to set screens and for pick-and-roll plays. I hope we'll see Berg come out for the same, but also to move outside for his own offense.

Reactions: Gemini95
Barrett's play was the highlight of the game. I don't know much about him, but I am sure he feels honored to be on the squad. I imagine he is a great locker room addition who always tries to do anything for the team. And now he has a memory that will last a lifetime. I hope someone can make a ten-second video that he can keep on his social media.
He's one of the multiple legacy players on the team. His dad played PG for the Boilers. It was good to see him play.

I think Berg and Edey will have different styles of play. Edey is a giant hockey player who dominates with combined power and agility. Berg came in with more of a mid-range game wanting to learn from the best to play in the post. When Zack comes outside on offense, it's almost always to set screens and for pick-and-roll plays. I hope we'll see Berg come out for the same, but also to move outside for his own offense.
I am surprised Edey doesn't make more of his offense. He finally took a near three, but IMO he should be doing that much more often when he gets the ball fifteen feet from the basket. He just needs to face the basket, and most times his man is sloughing off. He should easily nail sixty-plus percent of those shots. He can also drive for a closer shot or even go for the lay-up.

I am surprised Edey doesn't make more of his offense. He finally took a near three, but IMO he should be doing that much more often when he gets the ball fifteen feet from the basket. He just needs to face the basket, and most times his man is sloughing off. He should easily nail sixty-plus percent of those shots. He can also drive for a closer shot or even go for the lay-up.
Well, it takes away from his huge advantage to be able to easily hit higher % shots closer in more than anyone else. Why have the most dominant player around the basket go out and shoot a lower % shot?

I get what you’re saying and would love to see that type of game from him, but his huge advantage is to be near the basket and score from close in.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
There were a couple of times he was wide open on the free throw line during the Arizona game. All he had to do was turn and shoot, and he never looked at the hoop either time. Hopefully that was discussed during film session, and Edey starts popping that shot.

• Love
Reactions: mediaexpert
There were a couple of times he was wide open on the free throw line during the Arizona game. All he had to do was turn and shoot, and he never looked at the hoop either time. Hopefully that was discussed during film session, and Edey starts popping that shot.
Why would he pop it tho? It doesn’t make sense for him to do that in the college game. He could pass it, re-establish himself on the low block, and then take a 2-4 footer for a higher % shot.

I really want him to shoot it to, but his advantage is taken away.

I can hardly wait for people to get a good look at Daneil. He is a guard in a 7'2 big man suit. Kid can move and stay with 6'2 guard or beat them down the court on a fast break. No one to compare him to from Purdue maybe a bigger version of Aaron Wheeler. He is going to play I'm not sure where, but he will play. Heads up on his younger brother! Kid is a 6'9" mobile big at 14 playing in New Mexico.

Well, it takes away from his huge advantage to be able to easily hit higher % shots closer in more than anyone else. Why have the most dominant player around the basket go out and shoot a lower % shot?

I get what you’re saying and would love to see that type of game from him, but his huge advantage is to be near the basket and score from close in.
I like reading your posts. However, we disagree. Edey, IMO will shoot the same percentage since he is a 70%+ foul shooter. And it will stop the opposing centers from hedging our guards, and the worst case scenario is that it gives the other team more to think about.

However, the more important factor is that I think Edey can do this, and as the season progresses, he will do it better and better. To your point, maybe he shouldn't be doing this when the game is on the line. but I think he will have two to three scenarios during the game where he will do it and do it well. Most importantly, when the NBA scouts see this, they should move him into the first round. And dare I hope, the lottery?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT