ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State v. Purdue (BTT Semi-Final Game Thread)

It's always fun to read what your opponent's fan boys have to say about the game. Right now the MSU boys on 24-7 are clinging to: 1. The refs favored Purdue (25-6 foul calls) because ??? various reasons. 2. Williams was throwing their players down to the floor when they went under the basket. 3. The "Giant" traveled every time he got the ball after being in the paint 6-7 seconds.

Of course some of them were telling everyone that they would have used a far different substitution pattern than Izzo and that he doesn't know what he is doing. Yep, really!

:cool:
I love that they think Hoggard is equivalent to Ivey in fouls drawn. That msu team is utterly devoid of talent and the roster construction is an embarrassment.

Good game and congrats to Purdue. Your guys played better today, and in fairness, Purdue is a much better team than msu this year. MSU would’ve had to play a perfect game and hope your guys came up flat. It’s almost impossible to guard a guy Eddy’s size down low and Ivey is the best player on the court in almost any game.

It's always fun to read what your opponent's fan boys have to say about the game. Right now the MSU boys on 24-7 are clinging to: 1. The refs favored Purdue (25-6 foul calls) because ??? various reasons. 2. Williams was throwing their players down to the floor when they went under the basket. 3. The "Giant" traveled every time he got the ball after being in the paint 6-7 seconds.

Of course some of them were telling everyone that they would have used a far different substitution pattern than Izzo and that he doesn't know what he is doing. Yep, really!

Wow.... people posting on a forum, that they know better than a highly-respected, legendary head coach.

Where have we seen that before.... *thinking* .... give me a minute .... *scratching head*....

"Izzo doesn't know how to coach!" Sounds like some of our fans!

it's nice to see purdue beat a tough team that was playing well lately. yes, we were favored to win. but we won a close game and didn't choke. and we didn't lose by a three at the buzzer. maybe a new trend is beginning.

Interesting. If you look back at MSU's recruiting, every player on their team was a four star or better except for Marble, per rivals. There should be an abundance of talent on that team, yet they don't play that way. Just looking at the raw rankings, this MSU team should be up there with some of MSU's best. Is Izzo losing his mojo or is this just a bad combination of players that are a bit dysfunctional?

Watching them in the Purdue game, I could see flashes of talent, but most of the plays were just one-on-one stuff. I didn't see the rebounding and hot passing inside that Izzo's teams usually show. Not trying to disrespect them. Just wondering.

Interesting. If you look back at MSU's recruiting, every player on their team was a four star or better except for Marble, per rivals. There should be an abundance of talent on that team, yet they don't play that way. Just looking at the raw rankings, this MSU team should be up there with some of MSU's best. Is Izzo losing his mojo or is this just a bad combination of players that are a bit dysfunctional?

Watching them in the Purdue game, I could see flashes of talent, but most of the plays were just one-on-one stuff. I didn't see the rebounding and hot passing inside that Izzo's teams usually show. Not trying to disrespect them. Just wondering.

No real leaders on this msu team, although Hoggard’s progression is very promising, but he can’t shoot. Just a group of decent role players but no alpha dogs like msu has had in the past. Mentally and physically weak at times too. Izzo is a legend, but this year hasn’t been his best work either.

They toughened up a bit the last week, but I’d say a win or two in the tournament is likely their ceiling, and no guarantee on that happening.

You put this team on the court with top tier teams, which id put Purdue in this year, and you really need a max effort and some other things to go their way to win.

Wow.... people posting on a forum, that they know better than a highly-respected, legendary head coach.

Where have we seen that before.... *thinking* .... give me a minute .... *scratching head*....
It is everywhere...politics, media, fans etc... People get "strong opinions" regardless how informed they may be on a variety of subjects.

Not something new. I’m sure the Romans did the same to Julius Ceaser.
part of humanity...although I think it may be much more prevalent today. I would link the "potential" for its growth to lie in the "child-centered" schools as opposed to the "teacher-led" schools and the effect years later. We also see this in industry and the push by third party certifications to be much more collaborative which sounds good, but involves others that have no informed opinion to have a say. Meanwhile some want more people to vote ignoring the lower tail distribution increase and diluting the more informed vote. Could you imagine the Purdue team implementing all the different takes on what Purdue needs to do? Even in a given game opinions are all over the spectrum.

Reactions: indyogb and Schnelk

Izzo’s best teams have had take charge, tough as nails backcourt leadership. This one doesn’t have that. I think we’re inconsistent there, too, and it’s Hirt us this year. They have tons of talent. They just lack a coach-on-the-floor guy that TI has come to rely on.

Speaking of a number 2 seed; I think if we win, we are guaranteed at least a 2 seed. If we lose but play well, I still think we get a 2 seed. A 1 seed would not be out of the question if we win. Right now, I think the 1 seeds are Gonzaga (meh), Arizona, Kansas, and Baylor. If we win today, I think we should be ahead of Auburn, Kentucky, Villanova, Duke and Tennessee. We beat Villanova head to head and how can winning the Big East tournament be more impressive than winning the Big Ten tournament. If we win, putting Villanova ahead of us would be a farce!

Reactions: indyogb and Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT