ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Benter and more.

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
Watched Jack Play last night 11/25/2023. Kid is so much bigger and stronger than last year. He scored 33 had an all-around game that included assist, rebounds, steals and deflections. Jack it up! He was 4/8 from three each one more impressive than the one before. Three of the four he made were just as he crossed half court. Two of his missed 3's were last second heave's. Every time I watch him play I think this kid is special and clearly should start for Purdue as a freshman. I have never seen a better passer never! Many of our fans think Jack is the weak link in this class to me that is a joke! He will be one of the guys to break a press as a constant full court pressure on him last night resulted in no turnovers. He plays point guard for Brownstown. The thing is IMO there is no weak link in this class. I watched Gicarri play he totally dominated his game. He finished with 19 points, 9 assist, 8 rebounds and 4 steals. Kid is a Kenny Lowe type of defender constantly looking for a weakness and inevitably finding it and exploiting it. I don't know how you can keep him off the floor or why you would want to. Unlike Jack, Gicarri plays on a HS team that has 4 D1 scholarship starters. I watched Daniel Jacobsen play also Brewster Academy is loaded to say the least. They play him at the top of the key on offense and on the block on defense. Kid is 7'3 and can rain 3's as you would expect he is a mobile big man with guard skills. He is just so young I think it will take time for him to get his body ready for the B1G Ten. His skills will never be the issue. I have been tweeting and following recruiting for 13 years now this class is different to put it simply it is the best I have seen. You could make an argument for all of them to play right away. DON"T SLEEP ON JACK!

Watched Jack Play last night 11/25/2023. Kid is so much bigger and stronger than last year. He scored 33 had an all-around game that included assist, rebounds, steals and deflections. Jack it up! He was 4/8 from three each one more impressive than the one before. Three of the four he made were just as he crossed half court. Two of his missed 3's were last second heave's. Every time I watch him play I think this kid is special and clearly should start for Purdue as a freshman. I have never seen a better passer never! Many of our fans think Jack is the weak link in this class to me that is a joke! He will be one of the guys to break a press as a constant full court pressure on him last night resulted in no turnovers. He plays point guard for Brownstown. The thing is IMO there is no weak link in this class. I watched Gicarri play he totally dominated his game. He finished with 19 points, 9 assist, 8 rebounds and 4 steals. Kid is a Kenny Lowe type of defender constantly looking for a weakness and inevitably finding it and exploiting it. I don't know how you can keep him off the floor or why you would want to. Unlike Jack, Gicarri plays on a HS team that has 4 D1 scholarship starters. I watched Daniel Jacobsen play also Brewster Academy is loaded to say the least. They play him at the top of the key on offense and on the block on defense. Kid is 7'3 and can rain 3's as you would expect he is a mobile big man with guard skills. He is just so young I think it will take time for him to get his body ready for the B1G Ten. His skills will never be the issue. I have been tweeting and following recruiting for 13 years now this class is different to put it simply it is the best I have seen. You could make an argument for all of them to play right away. DON"T SLEEP ON JACK!
Thanks so much for the info/report, it all sounds good.

If Benter starts next year, that will be saying something. Purdue will be loaded at the 2 and 3 positions.

Love the excitement, thanks for the report, good stuff. Benter may redshirt next year even if he’s fantastic. It’s just a numbers game if the guys who are slated to return all come back.

I hope Caleb and Trey are ready to step up next year at the four and five as that team should be pretty loaded at the one through three.

Love the excitement, thanks for the report, good stuff. Benter may redshirt next year even if he’s fantastic. It’s just a numbers game if the guys who are slated to return all come back.

I hope Caleb and Trey are ready to step up next year at the four and five as that team should be pretty loaded at the one through three.
The 4 belongs to Kanon Catching IMO and there will be no competition he is now listed at 6'9" our offense without Zach will run through Kanon at the four. I would put Burgess in the mix at the 5 have to see how he emerges after the injuries sidelined him last year. But Painter switched from 5-star Flory Bidunga to Burgess for many reasons. Also Burgess started over Flory for Indiana elite. IMO 2024 team will be Kanon Catchings, we will only have him for one year he is special.

Has Jack gotten taller in your opinion or confirmed? I believe there was some thought that he wasn't done growing and maybe I'd read that his dad is 6'8"??

Has Jack gotten taller in your opinion or confirmed? I believe there was some thought that he wasn't done growing and maybe I'd read that his dad is 6'8"??
The announcers said he was 6'5" I think it's right, but his body is chiseled. I tweeted out that he was a beast because he just muscled his way around the court. He is bigger and stronger and is using it well. His game resembles Morton's HS career. Except Jack is a better shooter and passer. Extremely physical player who hunts contact he is a beast!

The announcers said he was 6'5" I think it's right, but his body is chiseled. I tweeted out that he was a beast because he just muscled his way around the court. He is bigger and stronger and is using it well. His game resembles Morton's HS career. Except Jack is a better shooter and passer. Extremely physical player who hunts contact he is a beast!

In some posters eyes, one might not be doing a recruit a favor using Morton in any kind of comparison. Lol

The rest of your comments about him are exciting.

Thanks for the report.

The 4 belongs to Kanon Catching IMO and there will be no competition he is now listed at 6'9" our offense without Zach will run through Kanon at the four.
I would be willing to take that bet. I think he'll play a lot and he'll certainly provide additional athleticism the ability to get his own shot but 1) I'd be very surprised if he's physically ready as a freshman to play more minutes at the four than at the three and 2) even if he's a one and done (I suspect he's here for at least two seasons) it would be very difficult for him to beat out players like Trey, Caleb and Cam who are both more experienced and more physically developed.

I may be wrong, it happens all the time, but I think he'd have to have a monster physical development year for your prediction to be right.

I would be willing to take that bet. I think he'll play a lot and he'll certainly provide additional athleticism the ability to get his own shot but 1) I'd be very surprised if he's physically ready as a freshman to play more minutes at the four than at the three and 2) even if he's a one and done (I suspect he's here for at least two seasons) it would be very difficult for him to beat out players like Trey, Caleb and Cam who are both more experienced and more physically developed.

I may be wrong, it happens all the time, but I think he'd have to have a monster physical development year for your prediction to be right.

With all frosh, how early & how much PT they get depends more on their ability to defend and understand team defense @ Purdue. I imagine that will not change for this class no matter how good they are on offense.

With all frosh, how early & how much PT they get depends more on their ability to defend and understand team defense @ Purdue. I imagine that will not change for this class no matter how good they are on offense.
I think you nailed it and would add that often that's as much mental a it is physical. As the OP noted, this looks to be a really gifted class. The short term questions will be 1) who will have the opportunity for early PT based on who Purdue has coming back next year and how those players do this year and 2) who can take advantage of the opportunities they have in year one by being mentally and physically ready.

Other than someone (likely Harris or Cox) needing to back up Smith and Loyer at the 1 and 2, I'm not sure sure there's another position where it's obvious that either one of the true freshmen or a transfer (unlikely given the scholarship situation) needs to log immediate minutes.

I think you nailed it and would add that often that's as much mental a it is physical. As the OP noted, this looks to be a really gifted class. The short term questions will be 1) who will have the opportunity for early PT based on who Purdue has coming back next year and how those players do this year and 2) who can take advantage of the opportunities they have in year one by being mentally and physically ready.

Other than someone (likely Harris or Cox) needing to back up Smith and Loyer at the 1 and 2, I'm not sure sure there's another position where it's obvious that either one of the true freshmen or a transfer (unlikely given the scholarship situation) needs to log immediate minutes.
Based on OB52 original post maybe Benter is a 2/3 backup/contributer and Cox is a redshirt along with maybe Jacobsen. I can see Colvin as a 2/3 Harris 1-3 Heide3/4 with Catchings able to get minutes 2-4. Who really knows lots of potential and possibilities that will need to declare themselves. Should be fun but we’re all just guessing lol!

Based on OB52 original post maybe Benter is a 2/3 backup/contributer and Cox is a redshirt along with maybe Jacobsen. I can see Colvin as a 2/3 Harris 1-3 Heide3/4 with Catchings able to get minutes 2-4. Who really knows lots of potential and possibilities that will need to declare themselves. Should be fun but we’re all just guessing lol!
Right, agree that it's all speculation, although we can play out some scenarios. A lot depends upon where Cam and Catchings play next year and whether Waddell comes back. If any of those three are taking minutes at the three (seems likely they will) in addition to Colvin then Benter needs to beat out three of the four between Colvin, Cam, Catchings and Waddell to get minutes. It could happen but just seems very unlikely, IMO.

If Cam and Catchings both play minutes at the four (seems unlikely that both will play there IMO, as at least one of Trey and Caleb are likely to log minutes at the four), then maybe Benter sneaks into some minutes at the three, needing only to edge out Colvin or Waddell.

I think we can pretty safely assume that if everyone comes back who can (excluding COVID year eligibility) then Braden, Fletch, Cam, Myles, Trey and Caleb are likely to log significant minutes. Either Harris or Cox is likely to play at least 15 mpg as a backup ballhandler, which puts the spots that are likely spoken for at 7. That leaves Waddell, Berg and the rest of the freshmen competing for 1 to 3 reserve spots (more likely 1 or 2 spots than 3).

Right, agree that it's all speculation, although we can play out some scenarios. A lot depends upon where Cam and Catchings play next year and whether Waddell comes back. If any of those three are taking minutes at the three (seems likely they will) in addition to Colvin then Benter needs to beat out three of the four between Colvin, Cam, Catchings and Waddell to get minutes. It could happen but just seems very unlikely, IMO.

If Cam and Catchings both play minutes at the four (seems unlikely that both will play there IMO, as at least one of Trey and Caleb are likely to log minutes at the four), then maybe Benter sneaks into some minutes at the three, needing only to edge out Colvin or Waddell.

I think we can pretty safely assume that if everyone comes back who can (excluding COVID year eligibility) then Braden, Fletch, Cam, Myles, Trey and Caleb are likely to log significant minutes. Either Harris or Cox is likely to play at least 15 mpg as a backup ballhandler, which puts the spots that are likely spoken for at 7. That leaves Waddell, Berg and the rest of the freshmen competing for 1 to 3 reserve spots (more likely 1 or 2 spots than 3).
I am sure I’m in the minority but I have a strong feeling that TKR transfers out next year. I really like him but I also don’t feel like he believes he fits. Especially if this year doesn’t turn a corner for him to get more meaningful minutes. If Berg leaves maybe he stays but I’m not convinced. He’s gonna have to continue to battle to prove himself against Furst, Berg, Jacobsen, Burgess and likely Heide and Catchings. That’s why I’d really like to see him put it together still this year to feel like he’s got a role/future next year. I think he’s likely frustrated having an unplanned redshirt year, limited playing time last year and working his ass of in the off season to get more time and so far it not paying off for him to play significantly more minutes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Replacing Jones successfully is going to be huge next year. He brings exactly what the team needs and I sure hope Cox and or Harris can take that role. It will not be easy for a freshman to do that. It's rare for a freshman to come in with the physical ability or the mental to do that right away.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I am sure I’m in the minority but I have a strong feeling that TKR transfers out next year. I really like him but I also don’t feel like he believes he fits. Especially if this year doesn’t turn a corner for him to get more meaningful minutes. If Berg leaves maybe he stays but I’m not convinced. He’s gonna have to continue to battle to prove himself against Furst, Berg, Jacobsen, Burgess and likely Heide and Catchings. That’s why I’d really like to see him put it together still this year to feel like he’s got a role/future next year. I think he’s likely frustrated having an unplanned redshirt year, limited playing time last year and working his ass of in the off season to get more time and so far it not paying off for him to play significantly more minutes. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’m not seeing it. Once Edey is gone, he’ll be in a great situation at Purdue. Why transfer then?

Reactions: oldboiler52
Who would you compare him to in being able to handle the ball on Purdues team now?

Reactions: Schnelk
Would Dakota Mathias be a reasonable comparison

Reactions: oldboiler52
Who would you compare him to in being able to handle the ball on Purdues team now?
I'm not an expert but have seen him play some. I'd say he's between Loyer and Colvin as a ball handler. Closer to Loyer than Colvin but not in the same neighborhood as Jones or Braden (or Harris and Cox, IMO). Really nice player, going to be really good, but definitely a 2/3, not a 1/2.

I have to believe a player has already informed Painter he is not coming back. I just can believe Painter would just give out a scholarship and say we’ll sort it out later.

With Edey leaving, I wonder who will become Purdue’s new #1 scoring option? I don’t believe it will be Smith or Loyer. Will it be TKR? Or will it be Catchings?

The reason I ask is if Catchings becomes our #1 scoring option, TKR may be the player who has already informed Painter he won’t be returning next year.

I have memories of Macy and Dan Palombizio, Martin, Eastern, stephens and Haarms. They all saw the future. They knew they would never be a star at Purdue. So they all left in hopes of becoming a star elsewhere.

Typically the guy who leaves is not the last guy on the bench, but rather it’s the player who still has dreams of being a star and reaching the pros. And he dreams that going somewhere else will make those dreams come true. Unfortunately that dream of success rarely happens by transferring elsewhere!

Replacing Jones successfully is going to be huge next year. He brings exactly what the team needs and I sure hope Cox and or Harris can take that role. It will not be easy for a freshman to do that. It's rare for a freshman to come in with the physical ability or the mental to do that right away.
Good points. It seems unlikely to me that anyone is able to replace Jones 1 for 1 but I'm optimistic that the back court will be collectively better. Braden and Fletch will be a year older and better and hopefully with more experience Cam and Myles can provide some of the open court speed and athleticism that Jones provides.

Agree that it's going to be critical and difficult for Cox or Harris to provide some of the ball handling and defense that Jones provides.

Reactions: Schnelk
Skill wise yes but not build wise. Benter is thinner and more athletic. He's not a better passer than Braden though...
No one would call Benter thinner this year kid looks like a linebacker now. I would also give Benter the nod over Smith in the passing if for nothing else the pure velocity of his passes. I was surprised at the new Benter body but he wears it well Closer to Masons size without the insane muscles.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
IDK he really had a great game playing bully ball against smaller defenders last night. He would be the best passer or at least tied with Smith.
you really think he'd be playing "bully ball" against teams like we played this past week? Maybe as an upperclassman.
i'm glad he's playing well and appreciate the updates. He's most likely a redshirt or 10th - 11th man at best next year.

you really think he'd be playing "bully ball" against teams like we played this past week? Maybe as an upperclassman.
i'm glad he's playing well and appreciate the updates. He's most likely a redshirt or 10th - 11th man at best next year.

If he shoots 40%+ from three & can D it up, there will be minutes. So let's wait and see....it's possible?

To emphatically say he can't and with be end of bench or RS you have no way of knowing. Perhaps more likely because he is a frosh.....but how about we wait and see? 👍

If he shoots 40%+ from three & can D it up, there will be minutes. So let's wait and see....it's possible?

To emphatically say he can't and with be end of bench or RS you have no way of knowing. Perhaps more likely because he is a frosh.....but how about we wait and see? 👍
I think that there will mostly likely be 2 redshirts from next year’s freshman class, simply because there won’t be enough minutes to go around.

You can put disclaimers on it, I can see why you would, but it would really be extraordinary for him to find minutes next year barring a transfer or injury. Not a knock on Jack at all, just too much talent and experience in front of him given that he's not coming in at a position of need. I'd add that expecting a true freshman to 'D it up' is asking a lot. Has anyone come in and done that since CK? RayDay, Mathias and EHJ were all league defenders and none were very good on D as freshmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
You can put disclaimers on it, I can see why you would, but it would really be extraordinary for him to find minutes next year barring a transfer or injury. Not a knock on Jack at all, just too much talent and experience in front of him given that he's not coming in at a position of needed. I'd add that expecting a true freshman to 'D it up' is asking a lot. Has anyone come in and done that since CK? RayDay, Mathias and EHJ were all league defenders and none were very good on D as freshmen.
I bet he redshirts based on who's coming back and needs.

Reactions: northside100
People who think he is the weak link are relying on how many stars are next to his name. I have several friends and family members who are IU fans and think he was a huge miss for IU. IU recruits 5-star players much better than Purdue does, but many of them said the same things about Braden Smith.

I imagine that Painter just smiles like a fox when he looks at this class and knows how underrated some of the players are.

I have to believe a player has already informed Painter he is not coming back. I just can believe Painter would just give out a scholarship and say we’ll sort it out later.

With Edey leaving, I wonder who will become Purdue’s new #1 scoring option? I don’t believe it will be Smith or Loyer. Will it be TKR? Or will it be Catchings?

The reason I ask is if Catchings becomes our #1 scoring option, TKR may be the player who has already informed Painter he won’t be returning next year.

I have memories of Macy and Dan Palombizio, Martin, Eastern, stephens and Haarms. They all saw the future. They knew they would never be a star at Purdue. So they all left in hopes of becoming a star elsewhere.

Typically the guy who leaves is not the last guy on the bench, but rather it’s the player who still has dreams of being a star and reaching the pros. And he dreams that going somewhere else will make those dreams come true. Unfortunately that dream of success rarely happens by transferring elsewhere!
I can see why you would think that MP would not be willing to 'sort it out later', I would have thought the same a year ago, but I think that's just the world we live in now. MP may be stubborn at times but he's no dummy and I'm sure that if someone has to leave before next season he'll make sure they find a good landing spot.

Beyond ridiculous to think that Catchings will be our #1 scoring option going into next season. Carsen was a Jerry West award winner as sophomore and Jaden was a lottery pick and neither were the top scoring options as freshmen (although you could argue that Jaden started stepping into that role at the end of the season). It's not unfathomable that Trey transfers if this season doesn't go well but he stayed this year to have a shot to be featured next year and is unlikely to be scared off by a four star recruit who will likely be playing the three next season. I expect Kanon to be very good but if he's our third or fourth scoring option that would be extremely impressive given who we should have coming back.

Here is my "guess". Coming out of high school it was well known that Trey wanted to play the 4 and if he could be able...the 3. Teams that want to press have better people for that than Trey. Other schools probably see Trey at least today as a really good 5. I don't see an advantage for Trey to play the 5 or 4 elsewhere unless he doesn't get enough minutes for his liking at the 4 at Purdue.

Unlike many players I tend to believe that his mother and uncle still think Matt is a really good coach and very supportive. Now if Trey's minutes dwindle does he see it as him not being a good fit at the 4 assuming his minutes dwindle at Purdue? If he does...why transfer? If he doesn't. and believes he didn't get enough of a shot. then anything is possible. I "think" (guess as well) that Matt understands the transition to expand his game more towards the perimeter takes some time. He was a 5 in the summer since Zach was not playing and so we only have a few weeks with Trey playing a 4. I think Matt rides this horse as is for a while. Matt knows his game experience to date was mostly low post and getting to his jump hook and yet Matt has not revealed a different expectation for Trey at the 4 than previous players and so Matt must see some value in Trey at the 4...perhaps given more time?

We also can't rule out the effect of the other players that may not require a Vince Edwards/Robbie Hummel 4 on this team this year to help with some of that facilitation or perimeter scoring? Matt may be thinking that Trey being effective at the 4 just makes this team much more versatile. Purdue can play quicker, be a threat on the perimeter, be a bigger threat inside on the boards as well as maybe the O & D in the lane. Then again, Matt may change his mind...but if Trey thinks he had a shot and it just isn't in the cards for him at this time...I doubt he thinks about leaving. I hope he is successful at the 4 and Matt has a LOT of ways of playing on O and D depending on how things are going.

Last edited:
You can put disclaimers on it, I can see why you would, but it would really be extraordinary for him to find minutes next year barring a transfer or injury. Not a knock on Jack at all, just too much talent and experience in front of him given that he's not coming in at a position of needed. I'd add that expecting a true freshman to 'D it up' is asking a lot. Has anyone come in and done that since CK? RayDay, Mathias and EHJ were all league defenders and none were very good on D as freshmen.
It’s all speculative and he could come in like Edey and show out so well at practices with amazing improvement and surprise everyone and deserve minutes dictating no redshirt or he may redshirt like many expect. I guess the point is he is bulking up , improving and looking like a good pickup! BTFU

It’s all speculative and he could come in like Edey and show out so well at practices with amazing improvement and surprise everyone and deserve minutes dictating no redshirt or he may redshirt like many expect. I guess the point is he is bulking up , improving and looking like a good pickup! BTFU
Keep in mind that Zach probably doesn't see the court as a freshman if Haarms doesn't transfer and he's on pace to become the greatest Boiler of all time. ;)

Jack will be just fine regardless of whether or not he plays next year.

I didn't emphatically say anything. I said it's likely. Because it is. That doesn't preclude the possibility that he does more. If he comes in ready then great. And we have no choice but to "wait and see". But we can still discuss it in the mean time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT