ADVERTISEMENT

He's not Jacking around!

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
I watched Jack score 39 points last night. He had 22 at the half I think he had 8 threes and 15 rebounds maybe 4 blocked shots. In a blowout win. By my count he now has 2335 points moving him to 18th all time. Kid scored the first 14 points and held a 14 to 3 advantage before Jack decided to show off his passing. Mason Gillis 2.0 IMO I think he will play the 3/4 he also had 4 turn overs, all while playing the one he is not a one when it comes to ball handling at 6'6 and 220 the 5'7" kids give him problems. Kid can shoot it like Gillis unlike Gillis he doesn't need to be open to make his shots. He is the best long-range shooter I can recall maybe DJ Byrd was as good in HS. Much like Gillis Jack is a 5 in a 6'6" body IMO he will play the 4. And that will be a crowded position for the foreseeable future. Not one of the 2024's dominate a game anywhere close to Jack. I just don't see him not playing while knowing he probably won't. IMO he is the hands down winner for MR. Basketball. When you need a basket there is none better than Jack. Kid made a pass last night thru 4 defenders 3/4 court to teammate who hit a wide open 3 the crowd erupted not for the shot but for the pass. He is clearly the best passer I can recall, and they are from behind the back between his legs backwards over his head and nearly all are no look passes. What he does is score on you because he can't be stopped. When he has built a big lead, he becomes this crazy passing machine, and his teammates get open looks because they are triple teaming Jack. This kid is a Mason Gillis/Robby Hummel combo big strong and talented. I always watch Jack's game first because he simply dominates every aspect of the game. I doubt he is a next level player but he will be a great college player IMO.

I watched Jack score 39 points last night. He had 22 at the half I think he had 8 threes and 15 rebounds maybe 4 blocked shots. In a blowout win. By my count he now has 2335 points moving him to 18th all time. Kid scored the first 14 points and held a 14 to 3 advantage before Jack decided to show off his passing. Mason Gillis 2.0 IMO I think he will play the 3/4 he also had 4 turn overs, all while playing the one he is not a one when it comes to ball handling at 6'6 and 220 the 5'7" kids give him problems. Kid can shoot it like Gillis unlike Gillis he doesn't need to be open to make his shots. He is the best long-range shooter I can recall maybe DJ Byrd was as good in HS. Much like Gillis Jack is a 5 in a 6'6" body IMO he will play the 4. And that will be a crowded position for the foreseeable future. Not one of the 2024's dominate a game anywhere close to Jack. I just don't see him not playing while knowing he probably won't. IMO he is the hands down winner for MR. Basketball. When you need a basket there is none better than Jack. Kid made a pass last night thru 4 defenders 3/4 court to teammate who hit a wide open 3 the crowd erupted not for the shot but for the pass. He is clearly the best passer I can recall, and they are from behind the back between his legs backwards over his head and nearly all are no look passes. What he does is score on you because he can't be stopped. When he has built a big lead, he becomes this crazy passing machine, and his teammates get open looks because they are triple teaming Jack. This kid is a Mason Gillis/Robby Hummel combo big strong and talented. I always watch Jack's game first because he simply dominates every aspect of the game. I doubt he is a next level player but he will be a great college player IMO.
do you think he shirts?

I
have a friend who has watched both he and Catchings play. he thinks Benter is better. (fixed)

Last edited:
I

have a friend who has watched both he and Catchings play. he thinks Bender is better.
I haven't seen him, but I'm pretty confident his best won't be as good as Kanon's best. That said...if Kanon needs a bit of motivation for every game he may very well be better day in and day out. I know over a year ago Dustin told me he was better than a lot of people think and would surprise some Purdue people with how good he can be

I haven't seen him, but I'm pretty confident his best won't be as good as Kanon's best. That said...if Kanon needs a bit of motivation for every game he may very well be better day in and day out. I know over a year ago Dustin told me he was better than a lot of people think and would surprise some Purdue people with how good he can be
Exactly. I’m sure he will be good but put Kanon in jacks place and pretty sure Kanon lights it up too. If Benter is Better than a projected first round pick then we are going to be really good, but let’s pump the brakes a little bit here on Benter. If he’s playing the 4, I need to see him guard a TKR/Furst/Burgess/Gillis before declaring he’s the best.

I think jacks going to be pretty good and turn heads like “why didn’t we recruit him?!” But not sold yet that he will see mins right away. Would be happy to be wrong (as long as we are winning and he’s not seeing the floor because we are losing)

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Sarcastic The Breakfast Club GIF

I

have a friend who has watched both he and Catchings play. he thinks Benter is better. (fixed)
He is probably right but if you look at how they project the taller longer Catchings would seem to have an advantage I could argue both sides. Benter is a coaches kid they always workout or seem too. Good post

Exactly. I’m sure he will be good but put Kanon in jacks place and pretty sure Kanon lights it up too. If Benter is Better than a projected first round pick then we are going to be really good, but let’s pump the brakes a little bit here on Benter. If he’s playing the 4, I need to see him guard a TKR/Furst/Burgess/Gillis before declaring he’s the best.

I think jacks going to be pretty good and turn heads like “why didn’t we recruit him?!” But not sold yet that he will see mins right away. Would be happy to be wrong (as long as we are winning and he’s not seeing the floor because we are losing)
He could hold his own it's a good point they could school him. But what would any of them do to stop Jack, Burgess maybe the other 3 ROTFL he would score every time he touched the ball which he pretty much does now. A lot of Damen Bailey in him. I have seen every kind of defense tried on him big, small, doubled, tripled and the whole team. He scored either 31 or 33 the game before. This was against New Albany a bigger school who had a 6'8 kid Limpkin? Jack dropped 14 on him in 90 seconds to start the game and blocked his only shot. He could have scored 50 last night only played about 3 quarters and didn't really force anything. If you score 39 in a 36 minute game yeah/

I have no idea if he is a 3 or a 4, but I have seen Kanon when he was good and he was very impressive and so he has the ability to be really good. AS far as a college player Jaden didn't merit lottery with his play, but by his speed and athletic ability potential. He was a good college player, but not near lottery level player

I have no idea if he is a 3 or a 4, but I have seen Kanon when he was good and he was very impressive and so he has the ability to be really good. AS far as a college player Jaden didn't merit lottery with his play, but by his speed and athletic ability potential. He was a good college player, but not near lottery level player
Yeah he could play 2 or 3 with no problem. I went with the four on body size mainly he is a good post defender and rebounder as well. They are different types of players I like them both still hate OTE. It's beyond crazy to me to have this much talent in one class. They say it's a good problem to have.

He is a good ball handler for his size but he won't be confused for Cox.
No didn't expect that and probably won't be as good as Harris as far as handling the ball, but would think he would come in a bit better than Mason is today...and Mason has improved that area a lot since he really didn't handle it in high school. Not that Mason is good at it, but much better than a couple of years ago. My previous comment was responding to whether he could dribble like Mason?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
No didn't expect that and probably won't be as good as Harris as far as handling the ball, but would think he would come in a bit better than Mason is today...and Mason has improved that area a lot since he really didn't handle it in high school. Not that Mason is good at it, but much better than a couple of years ago. My previous comment was responding to whether he could dribble like Mason?
Jack does everything well. He is your typical wing handling the ball except few can pass like him. He generally doesn't dribble he shoots and passes. No recruit I have watched dribbles less. I know he can, but he will beat you from passing and shooting. In fact, Brownstown is built for the ball not to stick in any one's hand. I would guess that they have few possessions over 15 seconds. And many less than 5 seconds. Every player on their team shoots threes and shoots it extremely well. Fun team to watch the best coached team I have watched this year. Grayson is a close second (Harris). As far as Harris no contest Harris is a step above even Cox. My refence to Gillis was their bodies and the outside shot. Other than that, nothing more. I know you know this, but you can tell who a winner is and who is just playing the game. Jack is a winner! The same thing can be said for all six it's a Painter requirement. I want to give Burgess his props his desire to win is infectious his team is not great, yet they win because he refuses to lose. It's all consuming to watch him love the game so much it hurts. Think Lance Jones when he can't stop enjoying the game to the point of dancing on the court. If I had to pick who would be dancing, I pick Burgess.

I have been using Cuonzo Martin. Yes Sandfort would be less of a reach.

Counzo is one of my favorite Boilers of all time. I was a student during those years, and just loved him. If he played today, his shooting 45% from 3 gets him into the league. A 6'6 SF who can defend and shoot? just 20 years too early, lol I know not what the thread is about, but had to give a shout out to one of my favorites.

Jack does everything well. He is your typical wing handling the ball except few can pass like him. He generally doesn't dribble he shoots and passes. No recruit I have watched dribbles less. I know he can, but he will beat you from passing and shooting. In fact, Brownstown is built for the ball not to stick in any one's hand. I would guess that they have few possessions over 15 seconds. And many less than 5 seconds. Every player on their team shoots threes and shoots it extremely well. Fun team to watch the best coached team I have watched this year. Grayson is a close second (Harris). As far as Harris no contest Harris is a step above even Cox. My refence to Gillis was their bodies and the outside shot. Other than that, nothing more. I know you know this, but you can tell who a winner is and who is just playing the game. Jack is a winner! The same thing can be said for all six it's a Painter requirement. I want to give Burgess his props his desire to win is infectious his team is not great, yet they win because he refuses to lose. It's all consuming to watch him love the game so much it hurts. Think Lance Jones when he can't stop enjoying the game to the point of dancing on the court. If I had to pick who would be dancing, I pick Burgess.
would Burgess be comparable to Owen Freeman?

would Burgess be comparable to Owen Freeman?
I will stick with Caleb Furst shave their heads and it would be hard to differentiate between them. Their HS results are similar brothers from another mother. If you watched Caleb in HS then you have seen Raleigh. Zero percent chance I get this one wrong.

Reactions: Russ Ford
I will stick with Caleb Furst shave their heads and it would be hard to differentiate between them. Their HS results are similar brothers from another mother. If you watched Caleb in HS then you have seen Raleigh. Zero percent chance I get this one wrong.
I wonder if Furst will transfer. His career at Purdue has been underwhelming. I still believe he has the talent.

Define "great" college player...like Hummel? Hummel was a great college player.

DJ Byrd was not a "great" college player IMO.

It is somewhat surprising that he can shoot and pass so well and dribble so little. You would think other teams would belly up on him and leave no space to make him dribble to be able to pass and shoot. Anyway, he is a Boiler and I look forward to watching all the pieces go together down the road

Counzo is one of my favorite Boilers of all time. I was a student during those years, and just loved him. If he played today, his shooting 45% from 3 gets him into the league. A 6'6 SF who can defend and shoot? just 20 years too early, lol I know not what the thread is about, but had to give a shout out to one of my favorites.
he had a cup of coffee in the league. Knees were shot by that point.

It is somewhat surprising that he can shoot and pass so well and dribble so little. You would think other teams would belly up on him and leave no space to make him dribble to be able to pass and shoot. Anyway, he is a Boiler and I look forward to watching all the pieces go together down the road
Wait till you see him pass. I know he can dribble as well as most 6'6" players he chooses not to. Or his Dad who is old school type of coach that misses nothing and never stops coaching star or not. Has taught the futility of dribbling where you want to go. No worries from about any aspect of his game.

Define "great" college player...like Hummel? Hummel was a great college player.

DJ Byrd was not a "great" college player IMO.
I wish I knew. I could see him being a legend or a role player. Extreme athletes are a lot easier to predict than the players with skill sets. They have perfected with hours upon hours of work. DJ was a beast in HS his game just didn't translate to Purdue. He was destined to be a coach. My nephew played HS basketball with DJ he was a wrecking ball that could shoot. Loved his parents.

I wish I knew. I could see him being a legend or a role player. Extreme athletes are a lot easier to predict than the players with skill sets. They have perfected with hours upon hours of work. DJ was a beast in HS his game just didn't translate to Purdue. He was destined to be a coach. My nephew played HS basketball with DJ he was a wrecking ball that could shoot. Loved his parents.
Great 4-H family. Showed cattle I believe at Montgomery County fair. Had to give it up for Bball

Thanks, I dont remember that, Longer or shorter cup of coffee than Hummel? lolo
RkPlayerYearRdOverallFromToG
MPFGFGA3P3PAFTFTAORBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSFG%3P%FT%MPPTSTRBAST
1Brad Miller19992012868245373446717420161026313273170861992470639592136723839724.480.330.80428.311.27.12.8
2Joe Barry Carroll19801119811991705228385021105830132413323216905404126468711211964221212455.474.000.74732.417.77.71.8
3Glenn Robinson19941119952005688253465571121296201823247230161027418918798263892147184714234.459.340.82036.820.76.12.7
4Terry Dischinger1962210196319736521784134576836209827683646115120559012.506.75827.413.85.61.8
5E'Twaun Moore20112552012202159812564192742365561432333449282120810553951315349464743.455.388.74221.07.92.01.8
6Jerry Sichting1979482198119905981273217893531481775156011968171962439196579404141.507.271.85721.36.91.43.3
7Herm Gilliam1968, 196913, 1163, 81970197757815026269661208601086257217522253694915196252.441.79226.010.83.83.8
8Bill Keller196978719701976556136092440574050614951202137851513491980155119709036588.425.338.87224.511.82.43.6
9Kyle Macy1979122198119875511424621754339192569717821311121421986314971210815259.501.337.87325.99.52.24.0
10Carl Landry200723120082016513115242086389893013601732994253335521620360312085541.535.300.78522.510.84.90.7
11Brian Cardinal200024420012012456647766416282436535376242861050465295693308902108.408.372.86114.24.62.31.0
12Paul Hoffman19475194819553175130113933549561415112991111383234.340.67628.710.25.12.9
13Rick Mount19708132197119752836386129829961213826137481674756765584286533330.433.317.82022.611.81.72.4
14Steve Scheffler1990239199119971749181212171588116811802630834131331.558.200.7595.31.91.00.1
15Jaden Ivey202215202320241253719684158919956941455913947757297463613871981.430.350.74129.815.83.84.6
16Bill Franklin19727110197319761071264262631281312181744006565146210657.415.250.60111.86.13.70.6
17Bulbs Ehlers19471319481949992861000228369177211800.286.6188.11.8
18Robbie Hummel2012258201420159813971463494814039456626650321128143379.418.343.86714.33.92.70.5
19Keith Edmonson19821101983198487931206460021101536612756371381124522.448.000.71910.76.01.50.6
20Jimmy Oliver19912391992199978856135332175044571880552733366331.407.340.77211.04.21.00.7
21Caleb Swanigan201712620182020756557016021727445921856141173127169.438.118.6148.72.32.90.7
22Doug Lee1987235199219957341561148185828401742321752064168.412.310.7005.72.30.60.4
23Dave Schellhase19661101967196873513872493460766070208.349.5677.02.81.00.8
24Carsen Edwards20192332020202272706982694615525331179522152763267.364.297.7589.83.71.10.7
25Jake Weber19471947505920255794111173.292.6963.50.1
26Russell Cross1983161984198445354641120038913582221271958166.571.4187.93.71.80.5
27Tom Scheffler1977611719851985392682151001020187611811154852.412.5006.91.31.90.3
28Everette Stephens198823119891991382152575210192411233994292271.333.200.7925.71.90.61.0
29JaJuan Johnson20111272012201236298541210069205865141425114.446.6678.33.21.60.2
30Walter Jordan197848419811981302072975001017234211115173568.387.5886.92.31.40.4
31Frank Kendrick1974347197519752412131771822193661132280.403.8185.03.31.50.3
32Todd Mitchell1988243198919892435343970037641850211623351123.443.57814.75.12.10.9
33Jim Rowinski1984486198919902312715360027321834512101957.417.8445.52.51.50.2
34A.J. Hammons2016246201720172216317425109208364113102148.405.500.4507.42.21.60.2
35Dakota Mathias202120221413921541032261914231854.389.313.3339.93.90.61.0
36Mel McCants19901990136582600681623111122.308.7505.01.70.50.2
37Bob Ford197257419731973974517004521244814.294.8008.21.61.30.4
38Cuonzo Martin199525719961997732312350223310229.250.600.0004.61.30.40.4
39Vince Edwards20182522019201921614140012000003.250.2508.01.51.00.0
40Carl McNulty195231955195511416000012.16714.02.00.00.0

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT