Heide
Colvin
Cox
Bentor
Harris
Catchings
Waddell

9 guys that can play the 1, 2 or 3. Three start and five play,

My guess. Smith, Loyer, Heide are probably locks. Waddel and Cox won't see the floor next year.

One might say either Heide or Cummings could play the 4 but then you have a lot of bodies at the 4 and 5.

TKR
Furst
Berg
Catchings/Heide
Burgess
Jacobson

2 start. 4 play.

If they choose to stay I believe Furst and TKR will get minutes. Jacobsen will RS. Berg has shown enough to get minutes.

My guess at an 8 man rotation:
Smith
Loyer
Heide
TKR
Furst
Berg
Catchings
Harris (over Colvin only because he can presumably play some point)

Fighting for 8 to 10 minutes per game 1 of the following 3
Colvin
Bentor
Burgess

I don't see how Cox, Waddell or Jacobson play in a game for Purdue next year unless two or three of the guys mentioned above transfer.
For the record Catchings is a four he's 6'9 and has actually been playing some five and dominating at it. Three players I see as a lock are Smith, TKR and Catchings. I would not redshirt Cox he is a pure PG and a damn good one. I personally don't consider Harris a PG he is a good ball handler and will probably guard the best guards. He is the 3rd option at PG for his HS team that should tell you something. That leaves 11 players for 2 spots all of which could start IMO!

For the record Catchings is a four he's 6'9 and has actually been playing some five and dominating at it. Three players I see as a lock are Smith, TKR and Catchings. I would not redshirt Cox he is a pure PG and a damn good one. I personally don't consider Harris a PG he is a good ball handler and will probably guard the best guards. He is the 3rd option at PG for his HS team that should tell you something. That leaves 11 players for 2 spots all of which could start IMO!
I’ll be surprised if Loyer doesn’t start next year. I understand that there will be more athletic options, but there is already a guard spot opening up to replace Jones and it is hard to imagine two players crowding out Loyer at this point.

I really don’t see the benefit of redshirting in college basketball. If a player is good he will contribute as a freshmen. If a player is not good enough to contribute as a freshman, he will most likely be recruited over in 1-2 years anyway and will either leave via the portal or become a role player. The likelihood that any player stays at Purdue for 5 years is remote. So in redshirting a player, what you are basically doing is giving him an extra year to play somewhere else when he leaves.

I look at Heide and I look at his future at Purdue. How much did he really benefit from red shirting verses being the last man on the bench last year? This is his second year at Purdue. He has made just as much progress as any other second year player at Purdue has made. I don’t see any difference in his game made by redshirting verses playing a few minutes. Is he starting this year? Will he start in the future? Or will he be recruited over and be a role player for his next three years at Purdue?

I look at Myles. He had a choice of redshirting verses playing. He chose to play. Would he be any better next year if he had chosen to red shirt this year instead of playing? I doubt it. Is he going to beat out Loyer or smith and start next year? Doubtful. Now, look to the future, look down the road 4 years from now. Will Myles be better for having played this year? Or will he better in 4 years if he redshirted this year? I believe he will be the same .

Next year we will have Harris and Benter. It’s going to be crowded at the guard position. Sure, we could redshirt someone. But the truth is Smith and Loyer will also still be here. As will Myles and Hyde and Catchings. The reality is someone will play and someone will not.

Looking at Furst, he didn’t redshirt. Would he be better this year if he did? No.

When I look at redshirting , I also look at the portal. If a player doesn’t play, he leaves. Look at the two WRs that left Ga to play for Purdue. Look at all the players who left Mich and OSU. Look at Purdue basketball players in the last 5 years.

Look at our legacy player who decided not to redshirt. He had to realize his playing time would be minimal this year. But looking forward, his playing time is not going to increase. And looking forward, the reality is his playing time would not have increased next year if he had redshirted this year. He will be better next year simply because of the practices and coaching by Painter this year. But he received that regardless if he redshirted or not.

I’ve never played for a college basketball team. If a player redshirts, is he not expected to still attend every game? Does he sit with the team at games? Does he wear a uniform? Does he join the team in the locker room? Or does he just sit with the fans and not associate with the team?

So what’s the real difference between redshirting and being the last man off the bench and playing 1-5 minutes? The only difference and benefit I see is that the player has an extra year when he transfers to become a grad transfer somewhere else

I really don’t see the benefit of redshirting in college basketball. If a player is good he will contribute as a freshmen. If a player is not good enough to contribute as a freshman, he will most likely be recruited over in 1-2 years anyway and will either leave via the portal or become a role player. The likelihood that any player stays at Purdue for 5 years is remote. So in redshirting a player, what you are basically doing is giving him an extra year to play somewhere else when he leaves.

I look at Heide and I look at his future at Purdue. How much did he really benefit from red shirting verses being the last man on the bench last year? This is his second year at Purdue. He has made just as much progress as any other second year player at Purdue has made. I don’t see any difference in his game made by redshirting verses playing a few minutes. Is he starting this year? Will he start in the future? Or will he be recruited over and be a role player for his next three years at Purdue?

I look at Myles. He had a choice of redshirting verses playing. He chose to play. Would he be any better next year if he had chosen to red shirt this year instead of playing? I doubt it. Is he going to beat out Loyer or smith and start next year? Doubtful. Now, look to the future, look down the road 4 years from now. Will Myles be better for having played this year? Or will he better in 4 years if he redshirted this year? I believe he will be the same .

Next year we will have Harris and Benter. It’s going to be crowded at the guard position. Sure, we could redshirt someone. But the truth is Smith and Loyer will also still be here. As will Myles and Hyde and Catchings. The reality is someone will play and someone will not.

Looking at Furst, he didn’t redshirt. Would he be better this year if he did? No.

When I look at redshirting , I also look at the portal. If a player doesn’t play, he leaves. Look at the two WRs that left Ga to play for Purdue. Look at all the players who left Mich and OSU. Look at Purdue basketball players in the last 5 years.

Look at our legacy player who decided not to redshirt. He had to realize his playing time would be minimal this year. But looking forward, his playing time is not going to increase. And looking forward, the reality is his playing time would not have increased next year if he had redshirted this year. He will be better next year simply because of the practices and coaching by Painter this year. But he received that regardless if he redshirted or not.

I’ve never played for a college basketball team. If a player redshirts, is he not expected to still attend every game? Does he sit with the team at games? Does he wear a uniform? Does he join the team in the locker room? Or does he just sit with the fans and not associate with the team?

So what’s the real difference between redshirting and being the last man off the bench and playing 1-5 minutes? The only difference and benefit I see is that the player has an extra year when he transfers to become a grad transfer somewhere else
I've had pretty well the same exact thoughts about redshirting, especially after the portal was introduced.

Reactions: oldboiler52

Trey Kaufman-Renn and Mason Gillis say "Hold my Beer," Wole.

Granted, it doesn't work for everyone, and I see where you're coming from. The transfer portal does further complicate things, yes. But, there is also the value in being in the program and being able to adjust to ALL of college life without the pressure of playing - that does work well for some cases. Painter lets the player choose with whatever input his parents want as well.

JMHO

I assume you are talking about Waddell? He already has used his red shirt.

I’ll be surprised if Loyer doesn’t start next year. I understand that there will be more athletic options, but there is already a guard spot opening up to replace Jones and it is hard to imagine two players crowding out Loyer at this point.
You can't discount the experience that Loyer will have next year, which will be a huge advantage over newcomers. 2-year full time starter on #1 ranked teams and who is a focus of oppenent's defense, and automatic at the FT line. Sometimes people get too enamored with high school accolades.

For one, we are overcommited by one, so somebody is either transferring or prep school for one of the freshman. Likely a transfer, maybe multiple.
Not saying that Jacobson won't redshirt, but I don't really understand a player reclassifing and then redshirting. He does need to work on strength, but he has a lot of talent. May depend on if Furst and TKR are both back.
I think Colvin gets more than 10 mins a game next yr, but may split some time with Harris and Heide both at the 3. Harris could play some 2 as well. Heide can play some 4. Benter could be in that 6-8 mins at the 2 or 3 if he doesn't RS.
I disagree a little on the Jacobsen thought, maybe he wanted to get a head start on college, redshirting and playing with his college teammates won’t hurt him, 5 years to play 4 sounds great to me, we’ll see how he feels I guess.

Fletcher like Smith starts all 4 years.

FWIW it is easy to see that Catchings at a 4 probably fills the "team" the best. However, depending on a need...a particular game or time in a game I don't think I would have any problem with Catchings having the ball at the top of the key (or anywhere) and him getting where he wants with a big and slower defender OR a smaller and quicker defender when things got tight. The kid has a unique skill set combined with his athletic ability to be quite a load. I see him as a 4 due more to what helps the team better than where he must play. I think he could play the 2 and 3 just fine, but Purdue doesn't need him there. I've only got to see him live two games, but he offensively has got the tools. I can't speak to his vision, passing or D in particular, but with his length and quickness he could be quite good on D as well. I do know that he is a basket about to happen...

Trey Kaufman-Renn and Mason Gillis say "Hold my Beer," Wole.

Granted, it doesn't work for everyone, and I see where you're coming from. The transfer portal does further complicate things, yes. But, there is also the value in being in the program and being able to adjust to ALL of college life without the pressure of playing - that does work well for some cases. Painter lets the player choose with whatever input his parents want as well.

JMHO
Add to that Matt Waddell and Cam this year(he is on video stating such) off the top of my head.

I disagree a little on the Jacobsen thought, maybe he wanted to get a head start on college, redshirting and playing with his college teammates won’t hurt him, 5 years to play 4 sounds great to me, we’ll see how he feels I guess.
I can see both sides of this one. Development of big men at Purdue being the biggest advantage. At a school like IU, hard to see the value. I just think in a lot of cases, staying and playing 4 years of HS is better, but like Jacobson's case being at Brewster, maybe not.

I can understand a big man wanting to get to Purdue as soon as possible just for the practices and coaching verses staying in high school. I believe the recent recruiting issues have proven that Painter and his staff do a lot more than just Coach basketball games. He’s also sort of a GM of basketball operations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT