ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Purdue (BTT Championship Game Thread)

This... This is the best Purdue team that has done absolutely nothing in the history of the basketball program... CMP always puts too much faith in certain players and has too short of a leash on others. IMO Newman and Furst needed more playing time this season but didn't get it because they ended up with too short of a leash. 1 mistake and they're pulled from the game. Meanwhile you play IT and he turns the ball over like 4 times in a minute 30... Honestly shocked he hasn't put any weight on at all and still looks like a freshman. Would be different if he could handle the ball but he can't. Honestly anytime I see full court pressure and either of the PG's have the ball I'm fully prepared for a TO. This team is a first round exit waiting to happen... A poor quality of CMP teams since he took over is those times when the team looks like deer in headlights... They bleed points through TO's and just really really poor play and can't seem to correct those issues quickly enough on the fly... Not sure why that has been permeated through the program for so long but it is a consistent problem. It's why they won't see a final 4 or B1G tourney championship for a while... I really like CMP and don't think anyone else would be able to come in and then STAY with any success to the program... Just have to hope, in time, a "Drew Brees" type player can come in and will the team through those issues...
You a quitter in life?

If I was you I would not watch Purdue anymore, Matt is going to be here another 20 years or so.
He isn't wrong on his assessment. We had the most TO's within the span that those 2 were on the court. I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I wish he was totally wrong, but he's not. I hate to say it, but these NC programs are winning with bigger, aggressive guards and we don't have that besides Ivey.

Painter's stubbornness in continuing to play SS and IT is really killing this team.
Along with not changing up defense. Absolutely on Painter. SS has been pretty bad overall for the past 2 months as well. Yet Painter keeps playing him. If we play like this in the tournament it will be another first weekend getting knocked out. If that happens it's time for a big change.

Reactions: Purdue0023
Bridesmaid Boilers again. Terrible substitutions. Sasha is a wreck and offers nothing and IT is a disaster that is a big net negative. Newman needs to take most of those minutes. Morton needs to play pg with Hunter. But of course this wont happen because Matt Painter is a genius coach above reproach on everything...except he himself said he should have been playing Newman more btw.

I'm happy Painter puts us in these positions but its just heartbreaking not getting over the hump. 2nd in the BIG ten conference standings, 2nd in the BIG tournament...probably will get to the sweet six and lose so basically a 2nd place to expectations in the tournament (minimum elite 8).

Just a repeat of the Mathias/Haas/Edwards senior year where it was silver medal in the university games, 2nd place in the conference, 2nd place in the BIG tournament and a sweet sixteen loss.

Hoping for a deep tournament run and will be rooting like crazy but don't see it with the way team is being coached right now.

And better D that both have a higher gear too
Newman was really good against PS, but was terrible offensively against MSU, and did pretty much nothing today. I like the kid, but expecting him to play better than others (that aren't playing well) sems like wishful thinking.

Newman was really good against PS, but was terrible offensively against MSU, and did pretty much nothing today. I like the kid, but expecting him to play better than others (that aren't playing well) sems like wishful thinking.
Newman played good D against MSU and good D today when he was in and the refs weren't screwing him with phantom fouls. He tied the game with a pull up after a long Purdue drought which is a lot more than I can say Stefanovic was doing. I am sorry but the way Stefanovic plays away from Mackey you might as well leave him home! Most people see the solution that Painter refuses to implement. Painter never should have buried Newman on the bench for all those weeks to begin with.

Newman played good D against MSU and good D today when he was in and the refs weren't screwing him with phantom fouls. He tied the game with a pull up after a long Purdue drought which is a lot more than I can say Stefanovic was doing. I am sorry but the way Stefanovic plays away from Mackey you might as well leave him home! Most people see the solution that Painter refuses to implement. Painter never should have buried Newman on the bench for all those weeks to begin with.
Sasha was bad, no doubt. I'm hoping Newman comes up gold in the tournament, but I'm not holding my breath.

Funny reading this junk. 1. It is always the kid on the bench that should have been on the court. Obviously the bench rider wouldn’t have missed that last shot, right? 2. There is always that one kid that caused the loss (scape goat). If we had only not subbed him in we would have won, right?

So funny, so unaware, so stupid.

Then there’s the guy that makes it all about them. Too tragic.

I really disliked this game, but Iowa won it more so than we lost it.

:cool:

Reactions: PurdueDave
Funny reading this junk. 1. It is always the kid on the bench that should have been on the court. Obviously the bench rider wouldn’t have missed that last shot, right? 2. There is always that one kid that caused the loss (scape goat). If we had only not subbed him in we would have won, right?

So funny, so unaware, so stupid.

Then there’s the guy that makes it all about them. Too tragic.

I really disliked this game, but Iowa won it more so than we lost it.

:cool:
Completely wrong. 17 TO's most just stupid passes. That's on us not Iowa.

Iowa got their hands on a lot of passes and swatted at a lot of players making moves. Their got damned few fouls for all the hands on arms. They played the way the refs were calling the game. Not blaming refs. Iowa was just faster and more aggressive with their defense. When I say they won it, that’s what I’m talking about.

Yep, we made some bone head passes, but to Iowa’s credit, they got in our faces and played better defense than they had previously.

Glad I threw the cool aid out a few weeks ago. That, along with Old Forester 1920 and now severely tempered expectations, these recent and upcoming games are/will be easier to watch. May even have some Miles Davis on in the background.

Reactions: Schnelk
If you're going to turn the ball over 17 times, you're going to have to do everything else right. We didn't hit free throws and we didn't hit threes. If we haven't learned to take care of the ball by now, we're not going to.

It's disappointing that this team missed out on a Big Ten Championship because they couldn't beat Wisconsin and they missed out on a Big Ten Tournament Championship because they couldn't beat Iowa. We have more talent than both, but we're just far less disciplined (which is a rarity for Purdue teams; usually it's the other way around).

I really hope Stefanovic's finger heals quickly. We're going to have to outscore everyone in the tournament or we'll have the expected Purdue quick exit.
If SS is too hurt to play he should sit. Does a hurt finger make you slow on defense?

Reactions: SKYDOG and Poprudy
Iowa got their hands on a lot of passes and swatted at a lot of players making moves. Their got damned few fouls for all the hands on arms. They played the way the refs were calling the game. Not blaming refs. Iowa was just faster and more aggressive with their defense. When I say they won it, that’s what I’m talking about.

Yep, we made some bone head passes, but to Iowa’s credit, they got in our faces and played better defense than they had previously.
And they change up their defenses and apply full court pressure. I guess that's just really good players not coaching.

Glad I threw the cool aid out a few weeks ago. That, along with Old Forester 1920 and now severely tempered expectations, these recent and upcoming games are/will be easier to watch. May even have some Miles Davis on in the background.
Given your sensible approach "Shhh/Peaceful" seems like a good choice.

And they change up their defenses and apply full court pressure. I guess that's just really good players not coaching.
You bring up an interesting subject. Over Fran's watch, nobody in the BIG plays more variety of defenses. Yet, Iowa typically is said to be a poor defensive team. Why is that?

Reactions: mathboy
Don’t get me wrong. I think Fran out coached Painter for this round. 1 out of 3 times. That why they say beating a team three times is difficult.

go w/ Traffic's Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

It just amazing that only you can see where Painter’s blind spots are. Shocking in fact. If we had only known before the game. I mean your 20-20 hindsight might not be a factor. :cool:
Lol you should read my posts before the game that said Newman should start instead of Sasha but carry on being the room mother of the CMP Mothers Club

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler
I think it was Bohannon that said a couple of years ago that Iowa never practices defense. Hard to believe but true.

Reactions: BSIT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT