ADVERTISEMENT

Who is #2 seed in our bracket? Guesses?

seminolesboilers

Sophomore
Oct 8, 2011
I think with Iowa State’s big win over Houston that the Cyclones will be the highest ranked #2 seed. Therefore…Iowa State will not be paired with Connecticut…the overall #1 seed. The Cyclones cannot be in the South Region w/Houston. This leaves the Midwest or West region for the Cyclones. I think the selection committee will want to keep AZ out west as a #2 seed leaving the Iowa State Cyclones as a #2 seed in the Midwest Region with Purdue.

Having beaten a #1 seed 2 out of 3 times during the season…Iowa State has a notch on the belt over the other competition (AZ, Marquette and TN) for the best #2 seed.

I just realized Purdue was 3-0 against the probable #2 seeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaBoiler78
I think it's debatable as to who is the best 2-seed, but it's conceivable that it's Iowa State. That being said, it's not obvious that they wouldn't go to the East because of UConn being the #1 overall. It would be because they are physically closer to Detroit, so they would get the advantage of playing the regional closer to home.

Arizona will stay in the West. Clear.

So if we're going with ISU in the MW, then Marquette has to go South and not East, so Tennessee would have to go East.

Could Iowa State receive a #1 seed out in West Regional if North Carolina loses? Again…the Cyclones have beaten a #1 seed twice this season.

Newman just basically iced it for WKY with FTs.

Good for Brandon Newman - wish him well.

main-qimg-f341c788d7c0b22c5eb8184732882773

With how many upsets and #1 seeds losing in conference tournaments…it might be one of or the most difficult seedings in the NCAA Tournament history. The selection committee will be burning the midnight oil tonight sorting it out…

With how many upsets and #1 seeds losing in conference tournaments…it might be one of or the most difficult seedings in the NCAA Tournament history. The selection committee will be burning the midnight oil tonight sorting it out…
I don't think so. I think they've got most of it done already. There aren't even any contingencies for tomorrow. Both the A10 and American are winner-only, along with adding Dayton and FAU already.

One minor contingency may be from the Ivy League actually. If Brown wins, they're in a PIG. If Yale wins, they might be a 14.

Lunardi showing UT, Creighton and KU as 2-4 seeds in Midwest. I am ok with that…I mean any team is gonna be tough at the 2-4 line so bring it on…hope the boys can prove they belong on that 1 line!

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I am down to needing 3 of these 5 to get into the PIG games with Michigan State:

Mississippi St
St. John's
Oklahoma
Pitt
Colorado St

We (fans) always put way more stock in conference tournament results than the committee does. One game generally doesn't swing a seed like that. If they were a 1 seed yesterday they are a 1 today.
Agree to an extent, but Iowa St has a lot of quality wins and generally has good losses. NC State objectively is a pretty bad loss and Houston/Baylor are excellent wins for Iowa St. I think it may be enough.

Agree to an extent, but Iowa St has a lot of quality wins and generally has good losses. NC State objectively is a pretty bad loss and Houston/Baylor are excellent wins for Iowa St. I think it may be enough.
I guess it's possible they had them rated that closely but if NC State is a baddish loss then beating them wouldn't have been much of a resume boost. Plus bad or not they were hot this week. No shame in losing to a hot team (maybe we will see that today if wiscy beats illinois)

We (fans) always put way more stock in conference tournament results than the committee does. One game generally doesn't swing a seed like that. If they were a 1 seed yesterday they are a 1 today.

Generally agree, yes - the fact that it's the WEST bracket might make a difference....what wins out in the balance? better seed-line or geographical concerns?

Think it will still be North Carolina on the 1-line out WEST.

Lunardi showing UT, Creighton and KU as 2-4 seeds in Midwest. I am ok with that…I mean any team is gonna be tough at the 2-4 line so bring it on…hope the boys can prove they belong on that 1 line!
That’s fine with me, I got some throw back but I sure don’t want to see KY as a 4 in a sweet 16 matchup, I’ll take Kansas over them anyday.

Got to play 3 great games before we see ..... possibly a #2, who many times don't make the E8 game anyway. Rarely goes scratch. Thus likely doesn't matter who is our #2.

Our great play is more important than who we face.

All that said hope it's not TN. Lol

Got to play 3 great games before we see ..... possibly a #2, who many times don't make the E8 game anyway. Rarely goes scratch. Thus likely doesn't matter who is our #2.

Our great play is more important than who we face.

All that said hope it's not TN. Lol
With you on this one.

When the bracket comes out, I'm going to be much more concerned about the 8/9 seeds in our region.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
As good as Iowa State looks, I'd still prefer to play a team we have not played earlier this year. Zach Edey is tough to prepare for and, if you have played us already, you at least have that experience for the next time. That's why WI, MSU, and NW play us so close. The B1G have so well scouted each other, that it will be great to play a team outside the conference again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT