ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Purdue: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

-12.5 big number for a conference game. Look for the Boilers to play like their hair is on fire and win this one easily.

Ben Krikke was mentioned by CMP pre game. He is a transfer from Valparaiso Univ. A nice player to keep an eye on for Iowa.

Good game to work on breaking the press as I’m sure Fran will use it quite a bit. Keep turnovers to a minimum and hit our FTs and we win going away.

Let's see if this team is different than last year and see how they respond. They're more experienced and should be able to fix some of the concerns the board has discussed (I am sure the team reads all of our posts and makes sure to address them in practice--HA).

Will be looking to see if we clean up the turnovers and hitting open shots this game, as well as hitting our FTs at a higher %

Reactions: Schnelk
Good evening ladies and gentlemen. The Most Hated Rival Iowa Hawkeyes (5-2) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #4-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (7-1; 0-1). It's the opening conference game for Iowa, while Purdue plays its second conference game after dropping a disappointing road opener last Friday to Northwestern, 92-88 in overtime. Tip is scheduled for approximately 7:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Projected Starting Line-Ups:

Iowa - Ben Krikke, Patrick McCaffery, Payton Sandfort, Dasonte Bowen, and Tony Perkins

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

The Iowa Hawkeyes head into the Big Ten opener aiming for a third straight win. Iowa has been fairly consistent so far this season - good on offense (8th in the nation - 90.7 points) and very pedestrian on defense (280th - 75.7 points). They have a game against a strong opponent - Creighton who was ranked #8 at the time. Iowa lost that one 92-84. Their other loss this season came in a 79-67 home tilt with Oklahoma. They beat Seton Hall by an 85-72 score last week and cruised to victory in a 103-78 home win against North Florida on Wednesday.

Ben Krikke, a transfer from Valpo, is having an outstanding season as a 5th year player. The senior forward has scored at least 20 points on three occasions this season including 21 points on Wednesday. Krikke is averaging 18.7 points per game. Payton Sandfort had 22 points in the win against Seton Hall. The junior forward is averaging 14.3 points per game. He is one of Iowa's long-range shooters, hitting at 32% from beyond the arc. Tony Perkins has gone for double figures in points in all but one game. He is one of Iowa's key contributors and floor leaders with 12.9 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. He has the potential to give Purdue's back-court some problems.

The Hawkeyes are ranked 38th in DI in Ken Pomeroy’s ratings and are 0-1 in their only true road game back in early November against Creighton. Although this may not be one of Fran McCaffery's best teams, if they shoot well, they are capable of hanging with Purdue and taking advantage of turnovers. The Boilers really need to have an intense defensive effort tonight from the start and not let up - they lacked some urgency and energy at Northwestern in the middle stages of that game, which really cost them along with the turnovers. I also expect Purdue to try and maintain an edge on the glass.

Zach Edey is likely to be the focus of the offense - we'll see if he can finish a little better than last game, and if Purdue tries some other options - they'll have more chances to push the pace against Iowa, but that is also the style Iowa likes, so you may see a slower pace tonight. Braden Smith, even while having a really good start to the year, has to be better with the ball and making some decisions than he was in Evanston - a big key to Purdue's chances tonight. Purdue had been shooting well from long-range until the 2nd half on Friday - they could use some timely shooting tonight. The Boilers really can't afford another slip-up and dig an early hole in the conference standings. Do they right the ship tonight heading into a big weekend game with Alabama? We shall see in a little over an hour.

Boiler Up, my friends....
i
i

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. The Most Hated Rival Iowa Hawkeyes (5-2) visit Mackey Arena to take on the #4-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (7-1; 0-1). It's the opening conference game for Iowa, while Purdue plays its second conference game after dropping a disappointing road opener last Friday to Northwestern, 92-88 in overtime. Tip is scheduled for approximately 7:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on the Big Ten Network.

Projected Starting Line-Ups:

Iowa - Ben Krikke, Patrick McCaffery, Payton Sandfort, Dasonte Bowen, and Tony Perkins

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

The Iowa Hawkeyes head into the Big Ten opener aiming for a third straight win. Iowa has been fairly consistent so far this season - good on offense (8th in the nation - 90.7 points) and very pedestrian on defense (280th - 75.7 points). They have a game against a strong opponent - Creighton who was ranked #8 at the time. Iowa lost that one 92-84. Their other loss this season came in a 79-67 home tilt with Oklahoma. They beat Seton Hall by an 85-72 score last week and cruised to victory in a 103-78 home win against North Florida on Wednesday.

Ben Krikke, a transfer from Valpo, is having an outstanding season as a 5th year player. The senior forward has scored at least 20 points on three occasions this season including 21 points on Wednesday. Krikke is averaging 18.7 points per game. Payton Sandfort had 22 points in the win against Seton Hall. The junior forward is averaging 14.3 points per game. He is one of Iowa's long-range shooters, hitting at 32% from beyond the arc. Tony Perkins has gone for double figures in points in all but one game. He is one of Iowa's key contributors and floor leaders with 12.9 points and 5.1 rebounds per game. He has the potential to give Purdue's back-court some problems.

The Hawkeyes are ranked 38th in DI in Ken Pomeroy’s ratings and are 0-1 in their only true road game back in early November against Creighton. Although this may not be one of Fran McCaffery's best teams, if they shoot well, they are capable of hanging with Purdue and taking advantage of turnovers. The Boilers really need to have an intense defensive effort tonight from the start and not let up - they lacked some urgency and energy at Northwestern in the middle stages of that game, which really cost them along with the turnovers. I also expect Purdue to try and maintain an edge on the glass.

Zach Edey is likely to be the focus of the offense - we'll see if he can finish a little better than last game, and if Purdue tries some other options - they'll have more chances to push the pace against Iowa, but that is also the style Iowa likes, so you may see a slower pace tonight. Braden Smith, even while having a really good start to the year, has to be better with the ball and making some decisions than he was in Evanston - a big key to Purdue's chances tonight. Purdue had been shooting well from long-range until the 2nd half on Friday - they could use some timely shooting tonight. The Boilers really can't afford another slip-up and dig an early hole in the conference standings. Do they right the ship tonight heading into a big weekend game with Alabama? We shall see in a little over an hour.

Boiler Up, my friends....
i
i
Small world Tex. Kim not feeling well and so I call Matt Waddell brother in law to offer a ticket and he said he had to turn 2 tickets down from his college teammate doing the game tonight since he is in Indy at a prosecutors meeting. His teammate was DJ who is doing the game tonight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT