ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana v. Purdue (Game Thread)

I have 0 issues with a disagreement on the topic. Like if I say "we need a new coach because...". Then someone disagrees for whatever reason they give. It's when the troll, Losier, IUFan and etc. Comments start flying. Those are the issues I have. Again people can say whatever they want to. It's just distasteful in my opinion.
It can be, but so can some of the really borderline criticisms.

Reactions: BBG
You're taking it too personally, when you look at disagreement with an opinion as not being on the same team.

I get what you're saying, and "being on the same team" is some of the responses which have irritated you.

It's all good. Have a great Sunday.
I find this hilarious. If you respond to an opinion with the other person being the subject, YOU are taking it personal. From this point forward, any response made to my comments that is directed at me, I will not point it out, I will respond in kind. I will respond making the other person the subject. Can't beat em, join em.
You have a great Sunday as well. Gonna have few brews and watch some NASCAR!

I find this hilarious. If you respond to an opinion with the other person being the subject, YOU are taking it personal. From this point forward, any response made to my comments that is directed at me, I will not point it out, I will respond in kind. I will respond making the other person the subject. Can't beat em, join em.
You have a great Sunday as well. Gonna have few brews and watch some NASCAR!
It's a smoking some meat and running some electrical day for me.

• Love
Reactions: boiler-deuce
Neither does anyone else's thoughts on here

I would rather win 20 games a year and have tournament success honestly. Look at the Dallas Cowboys in the last 20 years. Lots of season success but not in the playoffs. Are they just keeping the same coach and players? No. They are making changes to try to get post season championship.
and how is that working for them?

They still suck. They are trying at least. Their owner doesn't help. I'm not a cowboys fan by the way.

They've improved somewhat because Jerruh has relinquished some to his son, Stephen. Jerruh's ego ran off Jimmy Johnson, and that was a huge mistake they've never really corrected....not sure how much longer McCarthy will last.

Disclaimer - NOT a cowboys' fan either.

WHY ARE WE INTENTIONALLY FOULING INSTEAD OF HAVING LAST POSESSION
Being at the game and not wanting to go through all the comments I just came back to the 12th page to start and so I hopefully understand the context of what is going on. Just prior to this I think Purdue was going for a 2 for 1 trying to score early and have the last shot should IU score again. Purdue didn't score and so now we see some deliberate fouls and the question is why?

First, as we all saw each foul reset the shot clock to 20 until IU had all the remaining clock and the possible 2 for 1 could not happen. That was an obvious issue as what I believe your post depicts, again not being part of this thread.

Like you and others I have no idea what was the instruction context. It may have been that the players knew the fouls they had to give and were instructed to use a few quickly to make it manageable to send IU to the line "IF" needed later? There was one foul by Eric fouling Johnson off the screen from TJD??? where he was about to get beat and so if the team knew they had fouls to give and thought they were at some disadvantage, fouling to prevent a possible score may have been a decision made in light of losing the time to score for Purdue.

Hard to say what the decisions were and how nuanced the players were about the scenario at hand relative to the instruction. Obviously players views of situations at hand, many times differ than what the coaches want "if" that was in play. All we know is that Purdue had fouls to give to stop IU from scoring if needed and in the process of doing such eliminating Purdue's last possession in the process...and it did make things very tight.

I wish I would have thought to ask Terry Johnson this since I caught him later than night for a few watching Braden Smith. However, my mind was about Braden and Westfield at that time. My day lasted a bit over 11 hours in from the time I left for Purdue and when I returned from the Westfield/Carmel game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
Being at the game and not wanting to go through all the comments I just came back to the 12th page to start and so I hopefully understand the context of what is going on. Just prior to this I think Purdue was going for a 2 for 1 trying to score early and have the last shot should IU score again. Purdue didn't score and so now we see some deliberate fouls and the question is why?

First, as we all saw each foul reset the shot clock to 20 until IU had all the remaining clock and the possible 2 for 1 could not happen. That was an obvious issue as what I believe your post depicts, again not being part of this thread.

Like you and others I have no idea what was the instruction context was. It may have been that the players knew the fouls they had to give and were instructed to use a few quickly to make it manageable to send IU to the line "IF" needed later? There was one foul by Eric fouling Johnson off the screen from TJD??? where he was about to get beat and so if the team knew they had fouls to give and thought they were at some disadvantage, fouling to prevent a possible score may have been a decision made in light of losing the time to score for Purdue.

Hard to say what the decisions were and how nuanced the players were about the scenario at hand relative to the instruction. Obviously players views of situations at hand, many times differ than what the coaches want "if" that was in play. All we know is that Purdue had fouls to give to stop IU from scoring if needed and in the process of doing such eliminating Purdue's last possession in the process...and it did make things very tight.

I wish I would have thought to ask Terry Johnson this since I caught him later than night for a few watching Braden Smith. However, my mind was about Braden and Westfield at that time. My day lasted a bit over 11 hours in from the time I left for Purdue and when I returned from the Westfield/Carmel game.
How did Braden look?

Yeah I was curious on the fouls too. I thought it was a good idea at first. Not to let them get a 3 point shot. But then after noticing the clock and they would have the last shot I thought it was a terrible idea. Especially with how things have transpired this year.

Why are we passing the ball to Tre??
They did this the last game and maybe the game before. Obviously he is a safety valve and "what should be" the third or fourth look by the triggerman...but was he the third or fourth look?????? I don't recall exactly where Mason was. In spite of the concerns of Trevion's FT shooting and THAT is legit, you do want to get teh ball inbounds. This could be as simple as the triggerman just hitting the most open player, but we all have concerns when teh games are tight and Trevion "could" be sent to the FT line.

What I don't know and what rarely occurs is your big (Trevion) being the triggerman because you usually can't trust them to make a good decision and if a good decision to put the ball where it needs to be. However, If Trevion "could" do that, he would unlikley get fouled once in play and the team would have four legit people to handle the ball a bit. BTW, I'm starting to see Mason handle the ball a bit more . It would be great if he could play the 3 and the 4 next year.

I struggle with the whol press offense...or just getting the ball inbounds. I prefer two players at half court or at least one and maybe the other farther back and two players around the FT line/lane area. Rather than flashing to the ball, I prefer screening first, then flashing in space. I struggled when Gene used to put 4 players FT extended, just because I like space on teh court. Yeah, I hope passing to TRevion in those situations don't bite Purdue.

How did Braden look?
I believe Braden will be fine on O and maybe fine on D...just that D at college requires so much more effort. I say that not because I don't think he can play D, but because of that being a new step for him. Every time I see Braden I realize that not only were my very first impressions accurate, but that I get a bit more impressed with him.

If there are any Westfield parents reading this I don't mean this as a knock to them, but Westfield does NOT have near the size, depth and overall talent as Carmel and yet Westfield won...and a lot of that was due to Braden.

It is rare...really rare to see a player that directs traffic, understands the situation, knows where everyone is on the court that passes the ball as well as Braden. This is NOT hyperbole. I've tried not to hype him up too much since some posters recall me mentioning that I knew his dad and his dad through coaching years ago and presenting what some may take as a favorable bias towards him, but now that some are seeing him in action I'm not so worried that my view is biased.

Braden is the closest to Carson as far as range and getting a shot off when defended. Braden is a fine shooter. Night before he was putting them in from 5-10 feet behind the arc. As good as he is shooting the ball THAT is not his best attribute. It is his vision, awareness of the situation, and VERY quick processing in where and who to pass the ball...his overall court savvy is rare in that regard. Combine that with his scoring ability, his mental toughness and that giant killer or Carmel in this case mentality and he will not only bring "toughness" to Purdue, but an uncanny floor game. The only concern and I don't know that it will be a concern is his size and how he will like all college players have to expend a lot more energy on D than in high school. Still, he plays a lot bigger than 6' and has a 36" vertical and can dunk two handed.

Last night I saw Terry Johnson come in to the gym (unmarked in Purdue attire) and told Kim I thought that was Terry and I'm going to see if that was him since I caught him a bit from behind when I saw him. Seeing he headed to the top where you find people scouting games even though he wasn't scouting I knew the empty space was indicative of a coach. ;) I went up and congratulated him and told him I would try to leave him alone (knowing they get flooded for things), but asked if he had seen Braden the last couple of games and he said no. I then talked about how well Braden had shot the ball and that most people talk about his shooting, but THAT was not the best things Braden did...and he smiled and said passing and controlling the game and I knew we were on the same page. If you have the ability to stream his sectional games you will find that the really good things he does...are very common.

Lastly, as Braden would make a pass here or there I would tell Kim ...did you see what he did...and she was more interested in her phone as I would comment on how good that was... ;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT