ADVERTISEMENT

Flory Bidunga

But in the NIL era, if an outside company wants to sign a kid to an endorsement contract, that's perfectly legal, whether the university's NIL collective is involved or not? Yes or No?
Therefore, in the situation of the Pack and UM, if the guy said "hey kid, I'll sign you to this $ deal, but in order to get that, you have to sign with UM. Otherwise, no deal" and this is done without the involvement of the Univ, is that legal/illegal?
Surprised you didn’t get clarification on that before you made your $1 million donation.

But in the NIL era, if an outside company wants to sign a kid to an endorsement contract, that's perfectly legal, whether the university's NIL collective is involved or not? Yes or No?
Therefore, in the situation of the Pack and UM, if the guy said "hey kid, I'll sign you to this $ deal, but in order to get that, you have to sign with UM. Otherwise, no deal" and this is done without the involvement of the Univ, is that legal/illegal?

The NCAA has made it clear that impermissible benefits (disguised as service arrangements where no requirements exist), recruiting inducements, and pay-to-play arrangements (performance-related) are prohibited.....regardless of the source. So there's that. Now, they've also claimed they will enforce the rules, so there's that on top of it.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
We would all like to believe Purdue is academically superior, but the reality is, all the Big 10 schools are pretty even academically and there are certain majors where those less academically inclined, can hide. It's the same reason about 1/2 the guys in my fraternity who started off in engineering ended up in supervision.
The school has a vested (financial) interest in keeping athletes eligible.
Yep, US News has us 18th in the US behind Michigan, TOSU, and Illinois. I'm curious about what factors are weighted most heavily because UC Davis and UCSB are both in the top ten, which I wouldn't have guessed.

I agree with this completely. I had a couple Purdue football players in my Fraternity, and while not as blatant as the UNC issue, they definitely were guided on exactly what classes to take to stay eligible. This was 20+ years ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed.
This is absolutely true. There is an academic advisor for the athletic dept as well as an academic advisor for the school (as every student has). BUT!!! That advisor has nothing to do with helping the student athlete perform in those classes. Just as the school advisors do, they make sure the student athlete is on course to gain their degree while meeting NCAA eligibility requirements.

This is absolutely true. There is an academic advisor for the athletic dept as well as an academic advisor for the school (as every student has). BUT!!! That advisor has nothing to do with helping the student athlete perform in those classes. Just as the school advisors do, they make sure the student athlete is on course to gain their degree while meeting NCAA eligibility requirements.
That’s why there are college tutors that “help teach” the college athletes *wink* *wink*

One of my kids is in a class with a current member of the men’s basketball team and you’ll be pleased to know said player attended both of the lectures this week.

One of my kids is in a class with a current member of the men’s basketball team and you’ll be pleased to know said player attended both of the lectures this week.

Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
B'ball players are a bit diff from F'ball players as basketball has games during the week. Todd Foster is the boss-man over academics for the b'ball guys and he does make sure they do their work on road trips.

My son tutored four f'ball players and was fired for being near them while they took an online test - at purdue
Sorry to hear. I’ve heard stories of tutors helping the athletes out like “are you SURE it’s not C?” Haha. But student athletes do have a demanding full time job besides school. But that’s a whole other discussion haha

Sorry to hear. I’ve heard stories of tutors helping the athletes out like “are you SURE it’s not C?” Haha. But student athletes do have a demanding full time job besides school. But that’s a whole other discussion haha
As do members of the Purdue band as do students who work 20+ hours a week while carrying a load of 18 semester hours, as do theater students and also education majors doing student teaching. But hey, athletes have it real tough with all that extra stuff they do! And they are almost required to also play pick up games at the co rec too.

As do members of the Purdue band as do students who work 20+ hours a week while carrying a load of 18 semester hours, as do theater students and also education majors doing student teaching. But hey, athletes have it real tough with all that extra stuff they do! And they are almost required to also play pick up games at the co rec too.
Come on man. Don't compare athletes on full rides to the band, theatre or people with an outside job. It's not the same game.

Come on man. Don't compare athletes on full rides to the band, theatre or people with an outside job. It's not the same game.
You are so right! Those students have to actually attend classes! If they need a tutor they have to pay for it! They arrange their classes around their jobs rather than the other way around! They pay for their fees, books, dorms, tuition and food! Do you have any idea how much time a band member spends doing their band stuff? And then practices his instrument? Band members also have to maintain a certain gpa to be allowed to participate in extra curricular activities. Band members have no time to participate in pick up games at the corec! You are so right, there is no comparison between athletes and band members who also work 20 hours a week while carrying a full load of 18 semester credit hours!

You are so right! Those students have to actually attend classes! If they need a tutor they have to pay for it! They arrange their classes around their jobs rather than the other way around! They pay for their fees, books, dorms, tuition and food! Do you have any idea how much time a band member spends doing their band stuff? And then practices his instrument? Band members also have to maintain a certain gpa to be allowed to participate in extra curricular activities. Band members have no time to participate in pick up games at the corec! You are so right, there is no comparison between athletes and band members who also work 20 hours a week while carrying a full load of 18 semester credit hours!
Band members don’t generate revenue. This is an idiotic argument.

Band members don't attend training tables, film sessions, weight room, rehab, learn playbooks, etc, etc. Band members aren't physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the day and then required to complete their class work. Nobody is going to care if the tuba player is out of key, misses a few practices or games. There's a reason athletes are given full rides and band members aren't.

Most students dont take 18 hours either.

Why are you such an obnoxious antique Wole?

I'm guessing that over the years ex-band kids have given at least 10x more to Purdue than ex-athletes. So yeah, they do indirectly generate revenue.
My kids also contribute to my household revenue with lemonade stands. While it’s nice…it’s a drop in the bucket.

Football generates $50mm+. Now there is a $250,000 scholarship fund for band that appears to be largely self/privately funded.

Reactions: mathboy
Band members don't attend training tables, film sessions, weight room, rehab, learn playbooks, etc, etc. Band members aren't physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the day and then required to complete their class work. Nobody is going to care if the tuba player is out of key, misses a few practices or games. There's a reason athletes are given full rides and band members aren't.
Bad example. Tubas are pretty heavy to carry around. Just sayin' :)

The post was about the academic issues that athletes go through! It was not about revenue generated! I believe I proved my point that band members go through just as trials as athletes do when it comes to actually getting an education at Purdue! And I believe I pointed out that band members have just as much requirements of their time as athletes do! Band practices can be just as long as sports practices are! And band members spend just as much of their time practicing their instruments on an individual basis as athletes do! The post was not about how much revenue the band generates, but rather to point out a band member spends just as much time outside of the classroom as athletes do! And the post was also to point out that while athletes have tutors provided to them, band members typically study on their own or actually pay out of their own pocket for a personal tutor!

The post was about the academic issues that athletes go through! It was not about revenue generated! I believe I proved my point that band members go through just as trials as athletes do when it comes to actually getting an education at Purdue! And I believe I pointed out that band members have just as much requirements of their time as athletes do! Band practices can be just as long as sports practices are! And band members spend just as much of their time practicing their instruments on an individual basis as athletes do! The post was not about how much revenue the band generates, but rather to point out a band member spends just as much time outside of the classroom as athletes do! And the post was also to point out that while athletes have tutors provided to them, band members typically study on their own or actually pay out of their own pocket for a personal tutor!
Full disclosure, I was never in band and this topic didn’t interest me, but now I am curious…do band members have practice and classes during the summer? Do band members wake up at 5-6am, practice for two hours, go to class, study, practice again for 2-3 hours and then repeat all week before the season, during the season and then practice after the season is done? Do band members always travel wherever the athletes go? If band members don’t pass a certain amount credit hours, are they still eligible to participate? Are band members required to show up to sign autographs, take pictures with fans or volunteer at camps or around the community? Are band practices always the same amount of time as the athletes or just can be every now and then?

I don’t doubt band members have a tough schedule and that they don’t work hard, but I’m not sold they are giving as much time as D1 athletes are at large universities.

So donate your !!!!!!!!'s to the band.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Full disclosure, I was never in band and this topic didn’t interest me, but now I am curious…do band members have practice and classes during the summer? Do band members wake up at 5-6am, practice for two hours, go to class, study, practice again for 2-3 hours and then repeat all week before the season, during the season and then practice after the season is done? Do band members always travel wherever the athletes go? If band members don’t pass a certain amount credit hours, are they still eligible to participate? Are band members required to show up to sign autographs, take pictures with fans or volunteer at camps or around the community? Are band practices always the same amount of time as the athletes or just can be every now and then?

I don’t doubt band members have a tough schedule and that they don’t work hard, but I’m not sold they are giving as much time as D1 athletes are at large universities.
This. Wole, you obviously did not prove your point.

If this has been stated earlier I apologize, but aren't we past the point of complaining about NIL and the narrative that it's a big disadvantage for Purdue. From what I've read elsewhere, last year Eddey made $800K + in NIL deals. After winning player of the year last year it may be $1 million +. I would argue it may be one of the biggest reasons he's coming back to Purdue.

I'm one that still thinks there is an outside possibility that Edey comes back for his Covid year, simply because it might be his best option from a financial standpoint. It's pretty clear the NBA just isn't into him and contrary to what many believe on this board he may not be able to make as much money oversees as he would make at Purdue or for the highest bidder from another NCAA team.

If this has been stated earlier I apologize, but aren't we past the point of complaining about NIL and the narrative that it's a big disadvantage for Purdue. From what I've read elsewhere, last year Eddey made $800K + in NIL deals. After winning player of the year last year it may be $1 million +. I would argue it may be one of the biggest reasons he's coming back to Purdue.

I'm one that still thinks there is an outside possibility that Edey comes back for his Covid year, simply because it might be his best option from a financial standpoint. It's pretty clear the NBA just isn't into him and contrary to what many believe on this board he may not be able to make as much money oversees as he would make at Purdue or for the highest bidder from another NCAA team.
It is a NCAA violation to offer a specific package to high school recruits or graduate transfers. Purdue is abiding by those rules, many other schools are not. So I think we’re in a decent place in terms of retaining players already on the roster, but we are certainly at the disadvantage in recruiting.

As others have pointed out, this is not a significant change for high school recruits as some schools have been dropping bags of money for decades but it does make it challenging to attract high profile transfers.

You talk as though Zack is a finished product........... totally ignoring the fact that he's already proven to be ONE OF THE GUYS THAT GETS BETTER EVERY YEAR. So far, dramatically better each year.
But I guess this year he won't eh?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
You talk as though Zack is a finished product........... totally ignoring the fact that he's already proven to be ONE OF THE GUYS THAT GETS BETTER EVERY YEAR. So far, dramatically better each year.
I feel like a lot of people aren’t talking about that when talking about this upcoming year. Zach has gotten better exponentially every year—due to only picking up basketball a short time ago (did you know he played baseball and hockey before basketball?! Not sure if the announcers ever mentioned that during games haha). But I’m with you, I would assume he would stay on that trajectory and be even better (skill wise) than last. Def excited to see him in action early on.

I suspect that Zach will be done after this year regardless of his financial opportunities in the NBA or overseas. I think the primary reason he came back is because he wanted another shot with the same group of guys and his teammates were generally eager to have him back regardless of the impact on their individual playing time.

After this season Mason and Ethan will likely be gone and Caleb and Trey will be ready for bigger roles. As much as I'd like to see Zach for year five as a fan, I just don't see it unless the financial package Purdue offers is substantially better than what he can get elsewhere.

I suspect that Zach will be done after this year regardless of his financial opportunities in the NBA or overseas. I think the primary reason he came back is because he wanted another shot with the same group of guys and his teammates were generally eager to have him back regardless of the impact on their individual playing time.

Interesting....
I thought he came back as Purdue presented the best COMBO of basketball situation for him and financial package. Both having a factor.

That could be the same situation next year? Return? Who knows.

Interesting....
I thought he came back as Purdue presented the best COMBO of basketball situation for him and financial package. Both having a factor.

Maybe Zach wants a DEGREE! Remember when it was about academics!

Don't you think the GM's are considering potential when making their draft selections? They aren't dumb. They've seen Edey's expediential growth and still passed on him this year. If someone thought that he could help their team over the next couple of years, Edey would have been drafted.

Reactions: bonefish1
B'ball players are a bit diff from F'ball players as basketball has games during the week. Todd Foster is the boss-man over academics for the b'ball guys and he does make sure they do their work on road trips.
I did not realize Todd was back at Purdue. Great guy

Interesting....

My view is based on Zach repeatedly stating after the season that he wanted to come back but the finances had to make sense for a return.

I can't pretend to know how Zach will feel after the season but there are several reasons why his desire to return to Purdue may be lessened after this year so the situation may flip from a case where he wants to return but needs the money to be good enough to a case where he wants to go unless the money to stay is too good to turn down.

Just speculation based on the information that's available.

My view is based on Zach repeatedly stating after the season that he wanted to come back but the finances had to make sense for a return.

I can't pretend to know how Zach will feel after the season but there are several reasons why his desire to return to Purdue may be lessened after this year so the situation may flip from a case where he wants to return but needs the money to be good enough to a case where he wants to go unless the money to stay is too good to turn down.

Just speculation based on the information that's available.
It’s very simple as has been pointed out by another poster, if Zach can get paid more while at Purdue vs a g league or Overseas contract he would swing to Purdue. If he can make more money as a Covid player at Purdue than elsewhere why wouldn’t her do it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT