ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four Participants since Purdue's last appearance

Apr 1, 2019
It seems impossible for all of these teams to have made one or more appearances in the FF since Purdue's last trip in 1980, but it's true. I can't explain how Purdue's program can be as successful as it has been in that time and not by sheer luck have found it's way into the FF ONCE in 43 years. That just seems to defy the odds.
  1. Arizona
  2. Arkansas
  3. Auburn
  4. Baylor
  5. Butler
  6. Cincinnati
  7. Connecticut
  8. Duke
  9. Florida
  10. Florida Atlantic
  11. Georgetown
  12. Georgia
  13. Georgia Tech
  14. George Mason
  15. Gonzaga
  16. Houston
  17. Illinois
  18. Indiana
  19. Kansas
  20. Kentucky
  21. Loyola-Chicago
  22. LSU
  23. Marquette
  24. Maryland
  25. Memphis
  26. Miami (Florida)
  27. Michigan
  28. Michigan State
  29. Minnesota
  30. Mississippi State
  31. North Carolina
  32. North Carolina State
  33. Ohio State
  34. Oklahoma
  35. Oklahoma State
  36. Oregon
  37. Oregon State
  38. Pennsylvania
  39. Providence
  40. Saint John's
  41. San Diego State
  42. Seton Hall
  43. South Carolina
  44. Stanford
  45. St. John's
  46. Syracuse
  47. Texas
  48. Texas Tech
  49. UCLA
  50. UNLV
  51. Utah
  52. Vanderbilt
  53. Villanova
  54. Virginia
  55. Virginia Commonwealth
  56. Wake Forest
  57. West Virginia
  58. Wichita State
  59. Wisconsin

Wow. Vanderbilt?? Seriously? I’m pretty old but don’t remember Vandy ever being to a FF. Not disputing this, just surprised.
Also Stanford. No recollection of them being there either.

One that’s missing here is Louisville - they went (and won) in 1980 & 1986, and again in 2013 but that title was vacated. Still under some kind of appeal I think?

Regardless, this is a massive list - 8 Big Ten teams if you count Maryland who was still in the ACC when they won in 2002.

Good post

It seems impossible for all of these teams to have made one or more appearances in the FF since Purdue's last trip in 1980, but it's true. I can't explain how Purdue's program can be as successful as it has been in that time and not by sheer luck have found it's way into the FF ONCE in 43 years. That just seems to defy the odds.
  1. Arizona
  2. Arkansas
  3. Auburn
  4. Baylor
  5. Butler
  6. Cincinnati
  7. Connecticut
  8. Duke
  9. Florida
  10. Florida Atlantic
  11. Georgetown
  12. Georgia
  13. Georgia Tech
  14. George Mason
  15. Gonzaga
  16. Houston
  17. Illinois
  18. Indiana
  19. Kansas
  20. Kentucky
  21. Loyola-Chicago
  22. LSU
  23. Marquette
  24. Maryland
  25. Memphis
  26. Miami (Florida)
  27. Michigan
  28. Michigan State
  29. Minnesota
  30. Mississippi State
  31. North Carolina
  32. North Carolina State
  33. Ohio State
  34. Oklahoma
  35. Oklahoma State
  36. Oregon
  37. Oregon State
  38. Pennsylvania
  39. Providence
  40. Saint John's
  41. San Diego State
  42. Seton Hall
  43. South Carolina
  44. Stanford
  45. St. John's
  46. Syracuse
  47. Texas
  48. Texas Tech
  49. UCLA
  50. UNLV
  51. Utah
  52. Vanderbilt
  53. Villanova
  54. Virginia
  56. Wake Forest
  57. West Virginia
  58. Wichita State
  59. Wisconsin
It’s a single elimination tourney. It’s all luck. 🙄

Reactions: boilermaker75
Wow. Vanderbilt?? Seriously? I’m pretty old but don’t remember Vandy ever being to a FF. Not disputing this, just surprised.

One that’s missing here is Louisville - they went (and won) in 1980 & 1986, and again in 2013 but that title was vacated. Still under some kind of appeal I think?

Regardless, this is a massive list - 8 Big Ten teams if you count Maryland who was still in the ACC when they won in 2002.

Good post

Just a point of correction - Vanderbilt hasn't made a men's NCAA Tournament Final Four. It has been to the second weekend four times since Purdue's last trip to the Final Four. Louisville also made the national semi-final in 1983, losing to runner-up Houston.

Stanford has made one Final Four - 1998, ironically dispatching a very good Purdue team in the Regionals in a somewhat......how to put it......physical contest.

The point still remains - Purdue is long overdue....... I think it will happen again, sooner than some think (of course never again is a long time).....but that's perhaps Old Gold & Black vision talking. May not be this year.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Thanks for the clarification. I honestly don’t remember Stanford playing (beating) Purdue - as I said, old brain. I live very close to Louisville so easier to remember their wins.

Good post
That's what happens when you don't do things yourself and rely on AI. I had ChatGPT give me the final four by year and then combine and deduplicate the overall list. It got all of the teams by year, but effed up the compilation.

That's what happens when you don't do things yourself and rely on AI. I had ChatGPT give me the final four by year and then combine and deduplicate the overall list. It got all of the teams by year, but effed up the compilation.
So my teenager really shouldn't be using it for his homework?

• Haha
  1. Arizona
  2. Arkansas
  3. Auburn
  4. Baylor
  5. Butler
  6. Cincinnati
  7. Connecticut
  8. Duke
  9. Florida
  10. Florida Atlantic
  11. Georgetown
  12. Georgia
  13. Georgia Tech
  14. George Mason
  15. Gonzaga
  16. Houston
  17. Illinois
  18. Indiana
  19. Kansas
  20. Kentucky
  21. Loyola-Chicago
  22. LSU
  23. Marquette
  24. Maryland
  25. Memphis
  26. Miami (Florida)
  27. Michigan
  28. Michigan State
  29. Minnesota
  30. Mississippi State
  31. North Carolina
  32. North Carolina State
  33. Ohio State
  34. Oklahoma
  35. Oklahoma State
  36. Oregon
  37. Oregon State
  38. Pennsylvania
  39. Providence
  40. Saint John's
  41. San Diego State
  42. Seton Hall
  43. South Carolina
  44. Stanford
  45. St. John's
  46. Syracuse
  47. Texas
  48. Texas Tech
  49. UCLA
  50. UNLV
  51. Utah
  52. Vanderbilt
  53. Villanova
  54. Virginia
  56. Wake Forest
  57. West Virginia
  58. Wichita State
  59. Wisconsin

8 current B10 teams.

1998 and Stanford had the Collins twins and Mark Madsen and they basically beat the living crap out of Miller during that game and the refs allowed it. Seriously, Brad was battered and bloodied after that game.
That was my Freshman year at Purdue. IIRC, Stanford beat Rhode Island in the Elite 8 after the Rams knocked out Bryce Drew led Valpo in the Sweet 16. On paper, we would have clobbered that Rhode Island team. Valpo and Rhode Island opened that bracket up by beating Ole Miss (Valpo), Florida State (Valpo) and Kansas (RI).

Last edited:
That was my Freshman year at Purdue. IIRC, Stanford beat Rhode Island in the Elite 8 after the Rams knocked out Bryce Drew led Valpo in the Sweet 16. On paper, we would have clobbered that Rhode Island team. Valpo and Rhode Island opened that bracket up by beating Ole Miss (Valpo), Florida State (Valpo) and Kansas (RI).
That's correct. That was also the famous Bryce Drew buzzer-beater against Ole Miss.

Take it from a curmudgeon....we do it the old fashioned way......

We Google it.......

FdQPfJyagAE80xA.jpg

1998 and Stanford had the Collins twins and Mark Madsen and they basically beat the living crap out of Miller during that game and the refs allowed it. Seriously, Brad was battered and bloodied after that game.
I think that game was in St. Louis and I remember hearing something that the facilities manager of that building’s son played for Stanford. No idea where that originated, but that’s what I heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT