ADVERTISEMENT

National Perspective

If you were to list the reasons for Painter's deepest run, how many would you get to before you got to Haarms being a different kind of 5?

That's the issue people are taking. It's a complete lack of understanding of cause and effect. Of course, in an ideal world, Purdue will have a skilled 5 who is also mobile. But suggesting Purdue made deep runs because they had mobile 5's (which is questionable) is disingenuous at best.
I don’t think Haarms at the 5 was the cause for the deep run. It was obviously mainly Carsen Edwards. However, the observation was that the deep run came with a guard leading the team and not being so reliant on playing through the post. That’s it, that’s the deal. Which makes me believe that if they are to make a deep run with Edey, that Smith, Loyer and Jones all need to ball out in a big way.

I don’t think Haarms at the 5 was the cause for the deep run. It was obviously mainly Carsen Edwards. However, the observation was that the deep run came with a guard leading the team and not being so reliant on playing through the post. That’s it, that’s the deal. Which makes me believe that if they are to make a deep run with Edey, that Smith, Loyer and Jones all need to ball out in a big way.
Would it be bad if I said.....duh. Nobody thinks we can go far without good guard play.

Our deep run that year was due to having a dynamic scoring guard who went crazy in the tourney.
But…Haarms being mobile, not being a low post scorer and not clogging the lane also resulted in Edwards being able to do what he did.
If Edey and Edwards were on the team together, would Edey still be the focus of the offense,
Also Haarms PnR absolutely obliterated Villanove that year and was a great weapon overall

I think that Purdue has dynamic guard play this year as well with Smith. Painter revamped the offense this year to be far less dependent on the post game and the Smith and Edey PnR (with the surrounding shooters that Purdue has now) is without a doubt better than the 2019 PnR with Carsen and Haarms.

That said, we don’t know what will happen. There is no team in the country that has a better than 50/50 chance of getting to the Final Four. The 2019 team barely got past Tennessee that year to get to the E8 and that is because Cline had the best game of his career by far. There will be a ton of teams with non-traditional centers who fail to make the Final Four. Regardless of what happens, this team is very well constructed and very well coached.

I think that Purdue has dynamic guard play this year as well with Smith. Painter revamped the offense this year to be far less dependent on the post game and the Smith and Edey PnR (with the surrounding shooters that Purdue has now) is without a doubt better than the 2019 PnR with Carsen and Haarms.

That said, we don’t know what will happen. There is no team in the country that has a better than 50/50 chance of getting to the Final Four. The 2019 team barely got past Tennessee that year to get to the E8 and that is because Cline had the best game of his career by far. There will be a ton of teams with non-traditional centers who fail to make the Final Four. Regardless of what happens, this team is very well constructed and very well coached.
A Sweet 16 loss would be very disappointing.

Elite 8 has to be the floor this year.

Or what? It would reinforce the legacy of Painter being a great regular season coach but not being able to get it done in the tourney.
It can be argued that anything other than a FF would be considered a disappointing tourney.
Anything other than a Natty is going to be disappointing to me. But I'll get over it and continue to support Matt and the team.

Further evidence that 2010 (with healthy Hummel)
and 2019 both having more versatile players leads to greater
March success.

Purdue had at least 1 FF with healthy Hummel and 2019 was
an Elite 8. A Sweet 16 this year is disappointing, especially
after, 2021, 2022, and 2023 results.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Or what? It would reinforce the legacy of Painter being a great regular season coach but not being able to get it done in the tourney.
It can be argued that anything other than a FF would be considered a disappointing tourney.
Sure. The perception will be there until Purdue makes a Final Four.

But life will go on and Painter will still be a great coach and Purdue will keep on competing until they get over the hump.

March success.

You don’t know that Purdue would have had a Final Four with a healthy Hummel any more than we know that Edey will have a Final Four this year.

Reactions: bonefish1
I just went outside and got wet. It's must be raining.

200w.gif

March success.

So you can say..."I told you so"? I just don't understand this need to see further evidence of anything. Painter isn't going to be fired regardless of his March results. So why keep harping on those results?

I would love to have Edwards play with Edey. With the attention Edey gets, Carsen wouldn't have had to take as many contested 28 footers because he would have been open a lot more. And he would have shot a lot of threes. Given the attention Edey gets in the lane, Carsen would've also had a lot more opportunity to break people down off the dribble and get to the rim.

One thing Matt Painter is very good at (tho some refuse to acknowledge) is adjusting his gameplan to his roster. If Edey and Edwards were playing together, I'm certain both score north of 20 ppg.
Edwards played with Haas and Haas still saw the ball and with Zach it would be even more so. Carsen had a lot of poor shooting games. Carsen had the game of his total career in the tourney and had another strong game during that run in the first game I seem to recall. His second game was good, but there Cline had the game of his career. It is much more accurate to note that two starters had the games of their careers in two different games during that run. Had the career games not happened, they wouldn't even been referenced most likely. Haarm's best game was against Villanova and in that game a couple of really hard hedges allowed him to slip.

There was time not so long ago on this board where if you pointed out that teams built around a center with undersized/unathletic guards was not a formula for success in March you were called a heretic or told to go root for IU.
Some still think our guards are not athletic enough to win.

There was time not so long ago on this board where if you pointed out that teams built around a center with undersized/unathletic guards was not a formula for success in March you were called a heretic or told to go root for IU.
Here is the problem. I can see a lot of advantages in today's game to move away from what was a desired low post play years ago. What nobody has EVER been able to explain is why it has been successful and then all of a sudden it is not? Some think the style and yet that style is also successful against teams outside the conference with different style? So the system does NOT seem to be the problem...assuming of course that a single game is more indicative of a problem than 30. I can list good reasons to not play low post and I can list good reasons to play low post, but the reality is those teams that were beat had issues outside the post. I say all this and my personal preference is two 4's playing, but by the same token there are comments made that do not explain what happens.

I'm not a zone fan, but if a team uses zone and executes it well, it can be successful. I'm not sure I ever heard a coach (not a fan, but a coach) indicate a system was a problem in the tourney, but not during the season. I'm not sure I ever heard a coach not mention matchup (which always has a flip side). Izzo who had some success in the tourney even mentioned it was a bit of a crapshoot and his best team got knocked out early (I think he mentioned 30 game winners?. Knight used to say his best team of his career was the 75 team and it didn't win. Lot of different reasons why teams get beat...or just lose...

Do we really think fans know more than Matt? Matt is not always correct, but do we not think he reflects on what has happened, but fans correctly have? Of course he has thought a lot about it, more than anyone else, and so is he too stupid to understand what seems so obvious to some fans? Matt has taken the best players he could get and has built his teams accordingly. Was not having the 49th player in JJ something Matt hasn't wanted? The conclusions drawn sometimes in "any" forum are fan reflections not coaches and although not a popular opinion coaches typically know more and highly acclaimed and successful coaches like Matt are recognized as being damn good by his peers.

See where Purdue was and see where it has been the last couple of years and then look towards the future and say Matt was stuck in anything?

Sure. The perception will be there until Purdue makes a Final Four.

But life will go on and Painter will still be a great coach and Purdue will keep on competing until they get over the hump.
Life will go on no matter what happens. But you’ll just have to accept the fact that you won’t win any sports bar or Internet forum debates about Painter’s ability to win in the tourney

I may have caught a game or two he played in since I was a student at Purdue the same time as him.

Yes, Haarms fits that description more so than McQuay. The point was it wasn’t about height, it was about athleticism and being an atypical Purdue center. Do you think McQuay was more similar to Haas and Edey?
Edey. He played under the basket. And he was a power player. He was nothing like Haarms, who used his length and agility. But neither Haarms nor McQuay was in the same discussion with Edey when it comes to complete dominance.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
So you can say..."I told you so"? I just don't understand this need to see further evidence of anything. Painter isn't going to be fired regardless of his March results. So why keep harping on those results?
No. Purdue may make the FF this year. I hope they do.
But getting bounced in the Sweet 16 would be very disappointing.
You got to build off the 2019 Elite 8 by at least getting back there.

You say Painter isn't getting fired regardless of his March results.
That is an interesting take. I don't care who the Purdue coach is
as long as he gets it done in March without cheating. Go Boilers!

No. Purdue may make the FF this year. I hope they do.
But getting bounced in the Sweet 16 would be very disappointing.
You got to build off the 2019 Elite 8 by at least getting back there.

You say Painter isn't getting fired regardless of his March results.
That is an interesting take. I don't care who the Purdue coach is
as long as he gets it done in March without cheating. Go Boilers!
a final four is hard. And we have a great shot of gettin there. And Agreed anything less than an E8 is disappointing. Hope our shooters don’t go cold.

But Why is it an interesting take about painter not being fired? He could lose to a 16 again, even though it’d be the most embarrassing thing ever, and wouldn’t get fired. He’s had Purdue ranked 1 for 3 straight years…no other big ten program has done that. He’s won 4 B1G championships in 8 years. First time it’s been back to back since 2007 and first time it’s been back to back with each year winning by multiple games since 1976. Mackeys been sold out for like what, 60 straight games? Purdue rarely loses at home too. 4 S16s and an E8 in 6 years with arguably his best recruiting class next year coming in that’s completely different than what he’s recruited in quite some time.

And you think he’d get fired after all that? Look down south for that dumpster fire of a program after they fire coaches after an average of 4ish years. I want a NC appearance bad, but not to where it destroys the program and makes it the laughing stock of the country (although FDU loss did that for this last year).

Man, I wasn’t a Big Painter fan coming into this year, but some of you guys post things and make me defend him 😂 😂

March success.

Given the uncertainty of the tournament it's really hard to say what any individual team would have done. I did a little analysis on FF participants since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985.
  • Number one seeds only make it to the FF 39% of the time.
  • Two seeds only make it 21% of the time.
  • Three and four seeds 11% and 9%.
  • Five through eleven seeds have made it 2.7% and after that zero.

Purdue has been a number one seed 4 times, this year will be our 5th. We've been a two seed 3 times in 38 years. While the odds are still against you in any given year, if you keep putting yourself in a good position, you should eventually break through.

I'm trying to recall how often I see an uber athletic 7 feet tall player. Hakeem Olajuwon might be one and there probably are a couple more, but normally uber athletes are not 7 ft tall. In the discussion about low post play, one of the things lost...not mentioned, or not known, is Zach's quickness this year where he is able to play more off the blocks. He doesn't shoot there, but the defense has to be close or he can just sit massive screens over and over if he doesn't pull the defense out and so Purdue already has effectively created driving lanes...just not going to have Zach score out there.

We don't know what Berg will provide or his endurance, but runs the court quicker than Zach and has experience before Purdue playing on the perimeter. He came to Purdue because low post play was something he needed to improve.

Jacobson will be an effective player in and on the perimeter. The kid appears to be a very good shooter. So here is a question for anyone. Is there a college team that would not take Zach if they could? Is there a team that would not get the ball to Zach in the low post if they had him?
I agree with you. What's the alternative? Not have Zach Edey on you're team?

If Painter's system is set up in such a way that gives Purdue a recruiting edge to get the best player that fits your system, why wouldn't you lean into it, especially if these types of centers are going to stick around for 4 years.

Without a dominating center, we're just another team. I don't see how people can't understand that. IU, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, MSU and now Rutgers recruit guys like Catchings and Harris all the time. That hasn't put them in position to be a number 1 seed 2 years in a row or give them a chance to go to a FF.

Why do so many people think they know it all?

Our deepest tourney runs since 1980 (1994, 2000, 2019)
all had a non-traditional starting center.

I hope Edey bucks this Purdue trend and takes us to
Phoenix this year. That is all I am saying. Pretty simple.
Those runs were because of Big Dog, Cardinal and Carsen, not because of who we had at center. If any of those teams had Edey also, we’d have 3 national titles by now.

True, but so far they've passed the test
Our guards have passed the test in the regular season for about 4 years in a row now.
That’s what people need to understand: Purdues success in the regular season is in no way indicative of their success (or lack there of) in the tourney. So yeh, this team is good, looks different, filled some needs, but that guarantees nothing when the tourney starts.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Hey ya'll, go listen to that MSU podcast I posted about. One of the hosts has a very good analysis of how Painter constructs his teams and what he sees as the problem with the team construction come March.
The podcast is called "The Final Four is not on the schedule".
The Purdue preview is spot on, very objective and accurate.
They are jealous commentators from a competitor, they have no more and probably less insight than any on here.

They are jealous commentators from a competitor, they have no more and probably less insight than any on here.
💯 💯 💯

Anyone who tries to talk college ball that’s not a Purdue fan could come up with their lazy takes and basic analysis of Purdue.

I agree with you. What's the alternative? Not have Zach Edey on you're team?

If Painter's system is set up in such a way that gives Purdue a recruiting edge to get the best player that fits your system, why wouldn't you lean into it, especially if these types of centers are going to stick around for 4 years.

Without a dominating center, we're just another team. I don't see how people can't understand that. IU, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, MSU and now Rutgers recruit guys like Catchings and Harris all the time. That hasn't put them in position to be a number 1 seed 2 years in a row or give them a chance to go to a FF.
What has having a dominant center done for Purdue in the tourny?
I’d be interested to know which FF teams over the last 5 years had a center as their leading scorer or focus of the offense.

💯 💯 💯

Anyone who tries to talk college ball that’s not a Purdue fan could come up with their lazy takes and basic analysis of Purdue.
It doesn’t make them wrong. Purdue isn’t in the same ballpark as MSU when it comes to tourney success. These guys might know something.

Our guards have passed the test in the regular season for about 4 years in a row now.
That’s what people need to understand: Purdues success in the regular season is in no way indicative of their success (or lack there of) in the tourney. So yeh, this team is good, looks different, filled some needs, but that guarantees nothing when the tourney starts.
The only thing that can't be tested in the regular season is how a player/ team reacts to playing in the biggest stage of their life. Some wilt under the bright lights, but some shine too. Will our guys wilt or shine? That's my only worry as most wilted last year.

It doesn’t make them wrong. Purdue isn’t in the same ballpark as MSU when it comes to tourney success. These guys might know something.
Not saying they’re wrong . But you pushed it as some revolutionary analysis on why Purdue isn’t successful in March and about roster construction. Everyone on this board knows more about why Purdue has failed and about Purdue’s roster construction than these guys.

Even now, we are giving you more reasons as to why we actually failed compared to just the “Purdue is center around their 5 man” and “dynamic guards”. If any of those 3 teams hits their average of 3s, so 1 more vs UNT, 2 more vs Saint P and 2 more vs FDU, there are no embarrassing losses. That’s the main reason why—Purdue had off shooting nights. The teams that were successful had nba talent on them — Big dog, Brad miller, cardinal, and Carsen (had a little window for nba but also went on an historic run). Had more to do with that than running offense through the post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT