ADVERTISEMENT

National Perspective

Those runs were because of Big Dog, Cardinal and Carsen, not because of who we had at center. If any of those teams had Edey also, we’d have 3 national titles by now.
And because Purdue wasn't feeding the post as option #1.
Those mobile 5 men allow the players you mentiond to shine
by scoring in a variety of ways besides shooting open 3's.
Those mobile 5 men were not camped out in the paint, clogging
the lane. Hence 94, 00, and 19 being our deepest runs since 1980.

Edey has a chance to change that narrative in 2024 by taking us
to the Elite 8 or more. I hope he does. Time will tell.

Last edited:

I don’t think that you’ve been paying attention to how Edey is used this year. He is setting ball screens all game.

As much as you deny it, your posts come across like you are complaining about having Zach Edey at center this season.

Maybe what you are really saying is that you like having Zach Edey, but you wish his teammates would feed the post less. I suppose I can sort of see that, but I also can see what an advantage Edey gives Purdue, so I have to disagree with that as well. What I have seen this year is that Edey is doing a much better job of passing out of double teams and his teammates are making opponents pay by hitting 41% from 3. Purdue’s offense has been ridiculously good this season and has been very consistent against all styles of defense. Personally, I think that Painter is putting Purdue in a great position to make a March run. I’m not saying that I know what will happen, but Purdue is in a great position. Only Houston and UConn are positioned similarly in the whole country.

Last edited:

I do agree with most of this and have said the same many times. The narrative that you can't win it all with an elite big is patently false. The narrative that you can't win it all with an elite big without high level to elite players around him has been consistently true.

I suspect that this Purdue team's success in March and into April will hinge as much or more on the play of those around Zach than it will on Zach himself, who is consistently excellent.

I agree with you. What's the alternative? Not have Zach Edey on you're team?

If Painter's system is set up in such a way that gives Purdue a recruiting edge to get the best player that fits your system, why wouldn't you lean into it, especially if these types of centers are going to stick around for 4 years.

Without a dominating center, we're just another team. I don't see how people can't understand that. IU, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, MSU and now Rutgers recruit guys like Catchings and Harris all the time. That hasn't put them in position to be a number 1 seed 2 years in a row or give them a chance to go to a FF.
If Purdue was not beating good teams and then winning against bad teams someone might point out talent, coaching or system can't beat the good teams. However, when you beat the best in the land with the system you currently have and then lose, where would anyone come up with the idea of the system being the issue? It is NOT my desired style day in and day out, but it does not seem very logical with some of the takes. What happens over the course of the season is other teams and probably 50-100 different coaches study the team and the players and try to figure out weaknesses. Some try this and others look at that and think maybe they can do that. Now, the other teams are a lot harder to beat and that is before your players don't take the next time as serious since they already beat them. Purdue this year has fewer weaknesses than some teams in the past that were good, but more vulnerable. Any team that gets really hot from the perimeter can be a problem for any team and all teams have weaknesses.

Now, I've said a few times that I expect Purdue to get up and down the court a bit more next year, but in saying that I also know or believe Trey finds time on the blocks some of the time...and then Purdue will use him like Zach, Haas, Haarms (a little) and AJ and even JJ found some time on the blocks even though he spent a lot of time at mid post and above...

I don’t think that you’ve been paying attention to how Edey is used this year. He is setting ball screens all game.

As much as you deny it, your posts come across like you are complaining about having Zach Edey at center this season.

Maybe what you are really saying is that you like having Zach Edey, but you wish his teammates would feed the post less. I suppose I can sort of see that, but I also can see what an advantage Edey gives Purdue, so I have to disagree with that as well. What I have seen this year is that Edey is doing a much better job of passing out of double teams and his teammates are making opponents pay by hitting 41% from 3. Purdue’s offense has been ridiculously good this season and has been very consistent against all styles of defense. Personally, I think that Painter is putting Purdue in a great position to make a March run. I’m not saying that I know what will happen, but Purdue is in a great position. Only Houston and UConn are positioned similarly in the whole country.
Well if you listen to the msu podcast that bonefish was pushing they say edey doesn’t screen really…which is false.

Anyways, I agree with what you have said 😆

Not saying they’re wrong . But you pushed it as some revolutionary analysis on why Purdue isn’t successful in March and about roster construction. Everyone on this board knows more about why Purdue has failed and about Purdue’s roster construction than these guys.

Even now, we are giving you more reasons as to why we actually failed compared to just the “Purdue is center around their 5 man” and “dynamic guards”. If any of those 3 teams hits their average of 3s, so 1 more vs UNT, 2 more vs Saint P and 2 more vs FDU, there are no embarrassing losses. That’s the main reason why—Purdue had off shooting nights. The teams that were successful had nba talent on them — Big dog, Brad miller, cardinal, and Carsen (had a little window for nba but also went on an historic run). Had more to do with that than running offense through the post.

If you were to analyze it, there's probably a very high correlation between a team having an off shooting night statiscally and losing. Sure, you can have an off shooting night and still win, but I doubt it happens very often where a team shoots it's avg from the floor, 3 and the FT line and still loses.
So, you can't just say "if you didn't have an off shooting night, then we win", because every losing team can say that.
Meaning, there's probably to it than that. Why did you have an off shooting night? Did the opposing team have a great game plan and force tough shots? Did they force you to do something you don't normally do?
It's not just bad luck and bad shooting.

Reactions: tjreese
If you were to analyze it, there's probably a very high correlation between a team having an off shooting night statiscally and losing. Sure, you can have an off shooting night and still win, but I doubt it happens very often where a team shoots it's avg from the floor, 3 and the FT line and still loses.
So, you can't just say "if you didn't have an off shooting night, then we win", because every losing team can say that.
Meaning, there's probably to it than that. Why did you have an off shooting night? Did the opposing team have a great game plan and force tough shots? Did they force you to do something you don't normally do?
yeah it is a mixture. Did the opposition have you playing too fast or were there just wide open shots with plenty of time that were missed? Sometimes the opposition is physically superior and makes it hard to score. Other times it is lack of detail in the little things that do not create good shots. Mentally focused with an edge, but not fear or overconfident is the goal. Soooooooo very much about the players and the balance between good choices and confidence.

I’ve been told it’s actually because we focus our offense around a center and not bad shooting.

I’ve been told it’s actually because we focus our offense around a center and not bad shooting.
In the last 3 years Purdue didn't have people to drive the ball. Jaden could, but he was never under control and he was it. This team has two (3?) that can drive on anyone in Braden, Lance and Fletcher if not bounced around. That was not prevalent in the three losses. Mason can now put the ball on the floor to relieve pressure and Cam just needs a step in an opening as well. Shooters...Braden, Lance, Fletch, Mason as regulars with the potential in a given game for Cam and Myles. None of this mentions how Zach plays different than previous low post players since he is much quicker this year. This team is much more versatile and capable. Purdue can beat a LOT of teams, but Purdue if not sharp can get beat by a lot of teams

In the last 3 years Purdue didn't have people to drive the ball. Jaden could, but he was never under control and he was it. This team has two (3?) that can drive on anyone in Braden, Lance and Fletcher if not bounced around. That was not prevalent in the three losses. Mason can now put the ball on the floor to relieve pressure and Cam just needs a step in an opening as well. Shooters...Braden, Lance, Fletch, Mason as regulars with the potential in a given game for Cam and Myles. None of this mentions how Zach plays different than previous low post players since he is much quicker this year. This team is much more versatile and capable. Purdue can beat a LOT of teams, but Purdue if not sharp can get beat by a lot of teams
Haha it was in response to bonefish pushing his podcast and him always saying we don’t have dynamic guards and the formula for being post focused doesn’t work in March.

Yep agree 💯 with ya, per usual 😂

Our recent data (94, 00, and 19 Elite 8s) says a post-centered
offense does not work in March at Purdue. Here's to hoping
Zach (and his shooters) destroy this trend in 2024 by taking
us to the Elite 8 or more.

Except for when it is. I know people hate luck and randomness but the worse of a shooting team you are the more luck plays a role in the individual shooting performance in any single game. This year's team doesn't only shoot a higher percentage, there is much less variability in their shooting percentage versus last year. That's not because teams are doing a worse overall job of defending them this year.

Except for when it is. I know people hate luck and randomness but the worse of a shooting team you are the more luck plays a role in the individual shooting performance in any single game. This year's team doesn't only shoot a higher percentage, there is much less variability in their shooting percentage versus last year. That's not because teams are doing a worse overall job of defending them this year.
People still refuse to acknowledge that last year's Purdue team was playing like an 8 seed the last month of the season. We just did enough early to still get a 1 seed. That team was not great going into the tourney. Both freshmen and Gillis were banged up and it showed.

And the year before was a porous defensive team with a flawed roster construction and a talented but immature alpha.

People still refuse to acknowledge that last year's Purdue team was playing like an 8 seed the last month of the season. We just did enough early to still get a 1 seed. That team was not great going into the tourney. Both freshmen and Gillis were banged up and it showed.

And the year before was a porous defensive team with a flawed roster construction and a talented but immature alpha.
Was the team in 2022 running its offense through the post ? I feel like it was more motion and through Jaden.

Haha it was in response to bonefish pushing his podcast and him always saying we don’t have dynamic guards and the formula for being post focused doesn’t work in March.
when has a post focused offense worked for Purdue in March?
Our only 3 E8 runs in the last 40 yrs were lead by Big Dog (inside/outside player) Cardinal/Cunningham, and Edwards (dynamic guard).
When has a post player ever been the focus?

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
when has a post focused offense worked for Purdue in March?
Our only 3 E8 runs in the last 40 yrs were lead by Big Dog (inside/outside player) Cardinal/Cunningham, and Edwards (dynamic guard).
When has a post player ever been the focus?
I don’t know how to tell you in any more ways that Purdue shot poorly in all 3 of those games they lost. Didn’t matter much about the post. Shot under their average…last 2 were a pretty good amount.

Was 2022 super focused on post or did it focus more on Jaden?

On the whole people with large feet know more than people with small feet from 0 10 16 years old, but foot size has nothing to do with knowledge. It is linked to knowledge as ALL real life data can mathematically calculate a Pearson Product Moment correlation and plotting on the X axis shoe size and the Y axis knowledge, but shoe size in spite of the "appearance" does NOT mean that a 10 year old boy with a big foot has more knowledge than a 16 year old girl with a smaller foot. Linkage never means a relationship is causal whereas, no linkage does.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Also in years past if Purdue didn't hit the outside shot or score the ball at the 5 they were limited. Today, Purdue has a few players that can score inside the arc outside the 5 spot

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I don’t know how to tell you in any more ways that Purdue shot poorly in all 3 of those games they lost. Didn’t matter much about the post. Shot under their average…last 2 were a pretty good amount.

Was 2022 super focused on post or did it focus more on Jaden?
Every team usually shoots poorly in the games they lose. That's not something unique to Purdue.

Why did they shoot poorly is the question. And no, it's not because every player happens to go into a funk on the same night.

The 22 team was probably about evenly split in terms of offense. In the St. Pete game alone, the guard position took approx 24 shots (Ivey, Sash, Hunter) and the 5 position (Williams, Edey) took 22.

Here is the struggle. I, nor anyone state with certainty that those that believe what they believe they have seen in the recent past will not be correct in the future. Matt has discussed a bit about the games being different, but he too could be incorrect. The issue is the logic used to grab 3 games with different circumstances...teams...players...age of players...and so forth and LUMP them together for a single data point and say that data point is important, but the other data points under the same considerations of which there are many times more is not important.

I think they are wrong, but they could be correct. It is just that logic (and whatever flaws may be embedded) is not used in creating the stance...unless you are unaware of all the variables in play. It is as though everything is inconsequential...all the variables in play other than the ball going into the post...even if the ball is passed out or a handoff occurs and I'm unaware of how many times other players not a 5 passes the ball back out or a handoff occurs. The same action even at the same spot with another player can and does take place and so we already see overlap in the 5 with other players and yet the 5 is centric and the same action with another is not counted when it happens

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Here is the struggle. I, nor anyone state with certainty that those that believe what they believe they have seen in the recent past will not be correct in the future. Matt has discussed a bit about the games being different, but he too could be incorrect. The issue is the logic used to grab 3 games with different circumstances...teams...players...age of players...and so forth and LUMP them together for a single data point and say that data point is important, but the other data points under the same considerations of which there are many times more is not important.

I think they are wrong, but they could be correct. It is just that logic (and whatever flaws may be embedded) is not used in creating the stance...unless you are unaware of all the variables in play. It is as though everything is inconsequential...all the variables in play other than the ball going into the post...even if the ball is passed out or a handoff occurs and I'm unaware of how many times other players not a 5 passes the ball back out or a handoff occurs. The same action even at the same spot with another player can and does take place and so we already see overlap in the 5 with other players and yet the 5 is centric and the same action with another is not counted when it happens
Exactly. The sample size is painfully small and it's a very lazy position to suggest a single data point in such a small sample size is the ultimate arbiter of success.

What is fascinating is how recent history is being ignored. Who attempted the most shots for UConn in the Final Four last year? Who attempted the most shots in the 2nd weekend for UConn last year? Who attempted the most shots in the first weekend for UConn last year? The answer to all three questions is this guy, who is very much a traditional post player:

adama-sanogo.jpg

Exactly. The sample size is painfully small and it's a very lazy position to suggest a single data point in such a small sample size is the ultimate arbiter of success.

What is fascinating is how recent history is being ignored. Who attempted the most shots for UConn in the Final Four last year? Who attempted the most shots in the 2nd weekend for UConn last year? Who attempted the most shots in the first weekend for UConn last year? The answer to all three questions is this guy, who is very much a traditional post player:

adama-sanogo.jpg
They have a much stronger stance discussing theory than using selective March data on Purdue and ignoring all that other data. Inside the data they could say not being post centric puts the ball in better ball handling players...people that are more a threat away from the rim many times. They could discuss more backdoor openings as a result of countering pressure with nobody down low...they could discuss more driving lane. The could say the player only needs to be effective in preventing the rim and always playing out on offense.

Essentially, they could describe the vast majority of teams that play today of which almost all will also lose. There are many more teams that play the way they want that will lose than those that have more off ball screens and use the 5 to score just due to the number of teams. Additionally, in a game where someone has to win...when two of the teams that are not post centric...one team advances and does so the next game. Is it a numbers game rather than a theory game? Logic would say that a numbers game is a reasonable hypothesis. Theory...well there are reasons for both. Neither style will do well if they miss shots and neither style will do well if they can't put it on the floor and neither style will do well if they miss at the rim. Their style in theory should be able to play more pressure D individually since they are more athletic, Purdue's style is more positional and team defense than individual defense. There are pluses and minuses in all styles of play, but it will always come down to execution. Both can be successful, but using 3 games in trying to isolate the cause due to post centric has much less support than approaching a theory on styles IMO

Last edited:

TIME HAS TOLD US THAT EDEY DOES TAKE US TO THE FINAL FOUR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT