ADVERTISEMENT

Flory Bidunga

Politically and fiscally, I'm conservative, but when it comes to college athletics, I say, spend money like a drunken sailor!
You're telling Purdue to spend it? But we are talking NIL. Purdue can't. Why aren't you spending yours? It's your opportunity to change history.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Isn’t it a state law in Kansas that no one shall be denied admission from their state universities on the grounds of academic ability? And that all students that apply for admission will not be turned away from their chance at higher education? Essentially, they have no admission requirements?

As for Auburn they have a couple of alumni who financially run their athletic programs. They dictate to the AD what he can and cannot do. If they don’t like someone they buy him out. Even after winning a national championship a certain alumni wanted Tommy Bowden fired because he wouldn’t kiss his as. After a bad year, Tommy was gone. The alumni who owns the Auburn athletic department also owns a prominent bank in Alabama. He has a lot of money to spend and a lot of puppets at Auburn under his control! There was no amount of money he wouldn’t spend if it led to a victory over Alabama and Georgia. I loved their philosophy of if a player flunked out the first quarter, he could still play in a bowl game if it happened before the start of the next quarter. I’m not sure if that man is still alive. I’m quite confident a new donor has taken his place. I was just a lowly educator who listened, observed and took notes ! Maybe I’ll write a book one day. I’m not saying anything that isn’t already public knowledge in Alabama.

Kansas drops bags of cash....we have none of that...big difference....Kansas has been cheating since before time...we have nothing set up like that....self welcomes blatant cheating....Painter refuses to sell his soul....that's why flory went there....

Isn’t it a state law in Kansas that no one shall be denied admission from their state universities on the grounds of academic ability? And that all students that apply for admission will not be turned away from their chance at higher education? Essentially, they have no admission requirements?

Can I say something here? I don't know what you know about college admissions, Wole.....but I mean Bob Dole didn’t grow up with a 150-foot yacht, didn’t have the convertible for graduation, the sterling silver cocktail shaker, or the machine that serves the tennis balls at you....

You see, Bob Dole grew up in Kansas in a small farm town, he didn’t have the prep school education, or the sterling silverware, or the bumper pool table in the basement.. didn’t have the shower & massage with five-way adjustable heads.. or the sit-down lawnmower. Bob Dole didn’t have these things!

So what if Bill Self is dirty.....hard work in the mud is dirty......no surprise there if you're going to get things done like Bob Dole did in Washington.....so don't worry about it in the Big Ten or Big 18 or 20, whatever it is these days......just go watch your Buckeyes and your Spartans, the Wolverines and the Boilermakers.....hell, you can even watch the Hoosiers and the Gophers......but let me tell you one thing......

I know it, you know it, and the people here tonight know it.. the American people know it, we all know it....Bill Self and the University of Kansas Jayhawks are going to be NCAA Champions again......

eZizlSJMoxDUDzUq.jpg

Depends on what you define as success?

Enslaved? For me, a simple conservative debt free life, with Jesus and my Boiler family (6 grads and more coming) with a chance to root for a top 5 Purdue this year and last, well I find enjoyment & happiness in all that. So count me as a poster boy for that enslaved over conservative mindset, I guess? But works for me.
This isn’t a Conservative thing at all, silly stuff really. One can’t tell me Alabama/Auburn aren’t full of conservatives. Some just put a ton of emphasis on athletics and winning at those universities.

This isn’t a Conservative thing at all, silly stuff really. One can’t tell me Alabama/Auburn aren’t full of conservatives. Some just put a ton of emphasis on athletics and winning at those universities.

Just responded to the poster that said it was a conservative problem. Perhaps your comments need directed at the original post?

Can I say something here? I don't know what you know about college admissions, Wole.....but I mean Bob Dole didn’t grow up with a 150-foot yacht, didn’t have the convertible for graduation, the sterling silver cocktail shaker, or the machine that serves the tennis balls at you....

You see, Bob Dole grew up in Kansas in a small farm town, he didn’t have the prep school education, or the sterling silverware, or the bumper pool table in the basement.. didn’t have the shower & massage with five-way adjustable heads.. or the sit-down lawnmower. Bob Dole didn’t have these things!

So what if Bill Self is dirty.....hard work in the mud is dirty......no surprise there if you're going to get things done like Bob Dole did in Washington.....so don't worry about it in the Big Ten or Big 18 or 20, whatever it is these days......just go watch your Buckeyes and your Spartans, the Wolverines and the Boilermakers.....hell, you can even watch the Hoosiers and the Gophers......but let me tell you one thing......

I know it, you know it, and the people here tonight know it.. the American people know it, we all know it....Bill Self and the University of Kansas Jayhawks are going to be NCAA Champions again......

eZizlSJMoxDUDzUq.jpg

And sad, pathetic fans with no moral conscience will defend it on fan boards.
Wtf does Bob Dole have to do with anything?

Reactions: Heads up BOILER

eZizlSJMoxDUDzUq.jpg
My point was simply in the past Purdue had issues recruiting players because of the University’s policy that all students entering Purdue must have 4 years of high school math. Kansas and many other universities don’t have that same requirement. Even Michigan and Northwestern do not have that requirement! Kansas has zero admission requirements as they say all people are deserving of a college education. This provides players with the intention of only being a one and done player a huge incentive to attend a school where they only have to maintain a decent GPA for their first semester!

Flory going to Kansas is fine, he’s likely a 1 and done, Purdue will be fine at the Center position next year. Also, if Dickinson comes back for his Covid year I don’t see those two a match in playing together, guessing Dickinson leaves after this year.

My point was simply in the past Purdue had issues recruiting players because of the University’s policy that all students entering Purdue must have 4 years of high school math. Kansas and many other universities don’t have that same requirement. Even Michigan and Northwestern do not have that requirement! Kansas has zero admission requirements as they say all people are deserving of a college education. This provides players with the intention of only being a one and done player a huge incentive to attend a school where they only have to maintain a decent GPA for their first semester!
With all the resources provided to an athlete in order to keep them eligible (regardless whether they major in engineering or supervision), you have to really try not to maintain eligibility. The idea that Purdue is more academically strenuous and therefore creates is a challenge in recruiting is not true.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
With all the resources provided to an athlete in order to keep them eligible (regardless whether they major in engineering or supervision), you have to really try not to maintain eligibility.
True for many athletes, certainly not true for all. I don't know personally but it has been posted by people who know first hand that the type of support that Purdue provides to athletes may be different and less "hands on" than what some other schools provide.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
True for many athletes, certainly not true for all. I don't know personally but it has been posted by people who know first hand that the type of support that Purdue provides to athletes may be different and less "hands on" than what some other schools provide.
We would all like to believe Purdue is academically superior, but the reality is, all the Big 10 schools are pretty even academically and there are certain majors where those less academically inclined, can hide. It's the same reason about 1/2 the guys in my fraternity who started off in engineering ended up in supervision.
The school has a vested (financial) interest in keeping athletes eligible.

Reactions: mathboy
We would all like to believe Purdue is academically superior, but the reality is, all the Big 10 schools are pretty even academically and there are certain majors where those less academically inclined, can hide. It's the same reason about 1/2 the guys in my fraternity who started off in engineering ended up in supervision.
The school has a vested (financial) interest in keeping athletes eligible.
Agree across Big Ten schools. Agree that Purdue has a vested interest. I'm fairly confident that the school (and in general its Big Ten counterparts) have limits to what they'll do to protect those investments that our friends to the far south often do not.

Kansas drops bags of cash....we have none of that...big difference....Kansas has been cheating since before time...we have nothing set up like that....self welcomes blatant cheating....Painter refuses to sell his soul....that's why flory went there....
Flory is 6'8" great athlete, who can't shoot beyond 8 feet. He is not going to be the reason for winning a Natty. He will be a good college player but not Great.

He bulks up and he may have a dramond green type of career. It’s funny, first time I seen him play as a FR, he was 6’10”. He’s been 6’9” on his profile for about a year now. I see you have him at 6’8”. When he gets to KS, they better figure out what’s making him shrink. 🤣

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Flory is 6'8" great athlete, who can't shoot beyond 8 feet. He is not going to be the reason for winning a Natty. He will be a good college player but not Great.
Correct...he is very raw. Now, if you add him with a very fluid big like Hunter with more offensive skills. Those 2 are total opposites but would compliment each other very well. IMO

My point is not that Purdue is academically better than any school. But rather, like Michigan, it actually has admission requirements! Whereas, by state law, Kansas does not ! Anybody can go to Kansas regardless of their high school GPA, act/st or high school graduation. If a player is majoring in AAU basketball in high school, they can gain admission to Kansas. They actually have to study a little and graduate to gain admission to Purdue! And once at Kansas, much like Kentucky, their major is basketball!

Reactions: mathboy

State Law.

RIP

What I take from this is that Painter saw the writing on the wall early with Flory and hedged his bets. He landed a very skilled big in Burgess and might pull in Burns, as well. I am very happy with where the 2024 class stands right now, but the players that I am interested in are the 3 commits, plus Harris, Perry, and Burns.

So Painter is lying about not offering NIL money during the recruiting process?
Can you show me a direct quote from Painter where he says he won't help get a recruit an NIL deal.
I know that when NIL first became a thing, he made some negative comments about it, but that was over a year ago. Has he maintained that stance?
I just find it hard to believe that if a top recruit tells Painter that NIL will be part of his decision process on where to attend, that Painter isn't going to get him connected with those who control the NIL deals for Purdue.

My point is not that Purdue is academically better than any school. But rather, like Michigan, it actually has admission requirements! Whereas, by state law, Kansas does not ! Anybody can go to Kansas regardless of their high school GPA, act/st or high school graduation. If a player is majoring in AAU basketball in high school, they can gain admission to Kansas. They actually have to study a little and graduate to gain admission to Purdue! And once at Kansas, much like Kentucky, their major is basketball!
Do you really care what our players major in? As long as they're winning, nobody cares what they're doing academically as long as they stay eligible.
Academically, schools like UM, Duke, UNC, hell, even Miami, are tough academically. But, they all, including Purdue, are going to make it easier on athletes because of the time commitment for their sport.

Can you show me a direct quote from Painter where he says he won't help get a recruit an NIL deal.
I know that when NIL first became a thing, he made some negative comments about it, but that was over a year ago. Has he maintained that stance?
I just find it hard to believe that if a top recruit tells Painter that NIL will be part of his decision process on where to attend, that Painter isn't going to get him connected with those who control the NIL deals for Purdue.
Enticing a recruit with NIL money is still not allowed by the NCAA. It is one of two or three rules they actually have about the NIL process. There are quite a few schools who are blatantly ignoring this (Miami is the most obvious in Bball), but it is still a rule and I can't see Purdue breaking this rule until the NCAA clarifies that it is ok.

All of the NIL deals have been after the player has signed and is playing for Purdue which is within the NCAA guidelines.

Do you really care what our players major in? As long as they're winning, nobody cares what they're doing academically as long as they stay eligible.
Academically, schools like UM, Duke, UNC, hell, even Miami, are tough academically. But, they all, including Purdue, are going to make it easier on athletes because of the time commitment for their sport.
I agree with this completely. I had a couple Purdue football players in my Fraternity, and while not as blatant as the UNC issue, they definitely were guided on exactly what classes to take to stay eligible. This was 20+ years ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed.

Enticing a recruit with NIL money is still not allowed by the NCAA. It is one of two or three rules they actually have about the NIL process. There are quite a few schools who are blatantly ignoring this (Miami is the most obvious in Bball), but it is still a rule and I can't see Purdue breaking this rule until the NCAA clarifies that it is ok.

All of the NIL deals have been after the player has signed and is playing for Purdue which is within the NCAA guidelines.
This is it. Purdue will talk about NIL opportunities and what current players are making but won't come to the table with an 'offer', which is an NCAA violation.

There’s a difference between that, and what Kansas/Miami basketball (HDick/Pack) did, or what USC Football (Addison) did, which is promise a specific amount of NIL money upfront to get a kid to sign.

There’s a difference between that, and what Kansas/Miami basketball (HDick/Pack) did, or what USC Football (Addison) did, which is promise a specific amount of NIL money upfront to get a kid to sign.
But in the NIL era, if an outside company wants to sign a kid to an endorsement contract, that's perfectly legal, whether the university's NIL collective is involved or not? Yes or No?
Therefore, in the situation of the Pack and UM, if the guy said "hey kid, I'll sign you to this $ deal, but in order to get that, you have to sign with UM. Otherwise, no deal" and this is done without the involvement of the Univ, is that legal/illegal?

But in the NIL era, if an outside company wants to sign a kid to an endorsement contract, that's perfectly legal, whether the university's NIL collective is involved or not? Yes or No?
Therefore, in the situation of the Pack and UM, if the guy said "hey kid, I'll sign you to this $ deal, but in order to get that, you have to sign with UM. Otherwise, no deal" and this is done without the involvement of the Univ, is that legal/illegal?
No idea in those scenarios and don't think the NCAA has that figured out either so now we will have congress step in to solve this..... insert whatever analogy about inept politicians you see fit

Reactions: bonefish1
Still illegal per NCAA rules. Deals cannot be contingent on playing for a certain team. There are workarounds to it, but you cannot say “I’ll give you this money if you play for UM”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT