ADVERTISEMENT

Floor To Ceiling

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
I don't think this season's team will win 30 games like last season's. I can nearly guarantee that. However, they could get close if things fall into place nicely.

Anyway, what do you believe is this team's floor and what is its ceiling, in terms of their win-loss record and winning percentage?

I don't think this season's team will win 30 games like last season's. I can nearly guarantee that. However, they could get close if things fall into place nicely.

Anyway, what do you believe is this team's floor and what is its ceiling, in terms of their win-loss record and winning percentage?
16-24 wins.

16-24 wins.
Ceiling elite 8 guard play wins championship villinanova Kansas Loyola and Michigan all had good guard play I’m reaching for the stars I have high confidence in this team and has nothing to do with youth or inexperienced has everything to do with what the returning players bring to the table more experience than many giving them credit for. I was right last year about the roster totally confident in this years roster as well these guys are ready to ball and ball hard. Athleticism speed size skilled positions shooting and straight toughness I see this team brings to the table. They no the media and scouts are counting them out but they are not counting themselves out they believe in themselves and they got lots to prove. They gonna be better than what many think. Mr eastern watch out he’s back.

The Robbie Hummel-DJ Byrd-Ryne Smith team got 22 wins. There is no way we dip near into the 16-win range a la DJ Byrd/Terone Johnson.

I think the combination of matured Carsen, Haarms, Eastern, Cline, Boudreaux is superior to any rebuilding team we've had. I look for 24 wins to be the ceiling and 20 wins to be the floor.

Floor: 15 wins (injuries to more than one key contributor) <edited...my apologies>
Ceiling: 28 wins and 2nd place B1G regular season and BTT Champs with E8 appearance

Likely: 24-7 3rd place B1G (13-5) Sweet 16

Last edited:
Floor: 15 wins (Carsen and Haarms both injured)
Ceiling: 28 wins and 2nd place B1G regular season and BTT Champs with E8 appearance

Anyone else you want to call out getting injured for our floor? Maybe someone gets a nasty communicable disease? Someone might get kidnapped by the Russians?

Let’s not specifically describe scenarios where our key players are getting seriously injured.

Floor: 15 wins (Carsen and Haarms both injured)

Why say that they get injured sure is heck a lot of other reasons you could of think of than say they get injured. I watched my son go through that and it’s something I hope to god that never ever happens again to my son or any players for that fact. Hope you didn’t mean that

I interpret JDB's post to mean that injuries to key players is the only way this team will only win 15 games. Not sure what is so offensive about that. By definition floor is worst case scenario.

It is also a compliment to those specific players, i.e. the only way they perform that poorly is due to injury.

I interpret JDB's post to mean that injuries to key players is the only way this team will only win 15 games. Not sure what is so offensive about that. By definition floor is worst case scenario.

It is also a compliment to those specific players, i.e. the only way they perform that poorly is due to injury.
JDB is a great poster but it’s poor form to call out specific players to be injured. I’m not offended by it but did think it warranted giving him a hard time about it.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
JDB is a great poster but it’s poor form to call out specific players to be injured. I’m not offended by it but did think it warranted giving him a hard time about it.
Meh. Injuries happen. It's a real part of the game and can make or break a season. Fair game to mention the mere possibility in a worst case scenario. And the source/poster def plays in IMO. Would read completely different coming from a troll.

I like this team alot. It'll take a little time for them to gel and adjust during the regular season. They don't have the experience playing together that last year's squad did. But I think the raw talent is better. With that said, there will be growing pains early in the season. My guess is:

Floor of 19 wins
Ceiling of 25 wins

I thought the names used added credibility to his worst case scenario. I cannot count the amount of times Hummel's name and his injuries have come up on this board as the reason Purdue didn't make the final 4. We saw last year that injuries to Taylor didn't affect the outcome of any game. However injuries and sickness to other players did.

As a lifetime Milwaukee Bucks fan and asked the same question, my reply in the 70's would have been if Kareem is injured, the floor is last place. If Kareem is healthy, a championship contender. The same is true today. The Bucks' success will be determined by the health of one player. If injured, last place is the reality. The same was true for the Packers without Rogers.

I don't wish injuries on any person, but the reality is they do happen. And that leads to a worst case scenario. It's much like if Edwards decides to quit school early and concentrate on his pro career. That happened at Minnesota when Pryzabilla just abruptly quit in the middle of their season to concentrate on turning pro. Their season went from title contender to disaster. The same could be said about many other teams. What is the floor for Cleveland without LeBron?

My son suffered his own injuries. He qualified for state in 4 track categories, but blew out his leg in his last race at his sectional meet and could not compete at state. Without competing at state, all his scholarship offers disappeared.

While some here may not like discussing injuries, they do happen and I believe they should be addressed. They also point out our lack of depth and/or bench strength. Certain players are a key to our success. When addressing a worst case scenario, I believe you must also address possible injuries to key players. Look at the Brewers, Dodgers, and Cubs. Good teams are able to overcome injuries to key players. Bad teams don't . How successful would Purdue be if they had season ending surgery to two key starters? Do they have the depth to overcome it? Or would They be looking at a 10 win season?

Reactions: nagemj02
16-24 wins.
As far as expectation, I have us at 22-9 for the regular season.

9 Losses:

1 Loss in Charleston (Most likely Virginia Tech)
At FSU
AT Texas
At Michigan
At IU
At MSU
At Wiscy
At Ohio State
At Nebraska

I'm sure we will win some of the games above, but undoubtedly will have a couple head scratchers as well to even it out. I believe we squeak into the tournament and lose in the round of 32. This is just an opinion.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre

9 Losses:

At FSU
AT Texas
At Michigan
At IU
At MSU
At Wiscy
At Ohio State
At Nebraska

I'm sure we will win some of the games above, but undoubtedly will have a couple head scratchers as well to even it out. I believe we squeak into the tournament and lose in the round of 32. This is just an opinion.
Pretty realistic prediction. Frankly if we actually do achieve this, I will consider this season a success.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Why say that they get injured sure is heck a lot of other reasons you could of think of than say they get injured. I watched my son go through that and it’s something I hope to god that never ever happens again to my son or any players for that fact. Hope you didn’t mean that
Ahhh, I never meant for my post to seem as though I was hoping or calling for injuries to players on the team! I apologize if it came across that way and understand that it probably did. I’ll alter my post to reflect a better understanding by saying ‘injuries throughout the season.’

My apologies everyone.

i hope our previous history and you reading my posts would understand the very last thing I would hope for is an injury to anyone. I wouldn’t wish injury on any player, even from IU...just that they are utterly embarrassed in every athletic contest they ever compete in.

i hope our previous history and you reading my posts would understand the very last thing I would hope for is an injury to anyone. I wouldn’t wish injury on any player, even from IU...just that they are utterly embarrassed in every athletic contest they ever compete in.
I misunderstood your post I actually get your point in that post after reading it again.

Floor: 15 wins (injuries to more than one key contributor) <edited...my apologies>

. You a fair poster and I actually understood what you meant b4 You altered your comment but looking at your ceiling and floor I like it and I can see this team being just that good reaching those goals. The one thing my son has told me that this summer has done for them brought them close as a unit and to me that’s key to the success of this years team how they get alone off the court will be crucial to the success on the court. Can’t wait to see this team show they not as inexperienced as some think they are but more ready experience wise considering what’s returning Nojel Cline Haarms with super junior carsen with grad transfer with college experience not junco experience that’s plenty to get season started plus 2 red shirts who now gain an advantage of getting games under there belt that would help team as well. What this team need is to play some games once they do that they will start learning each other strengths and weaknesses and get a good feel of one another. Once they get them games under there belt they start meshing together gonna be a fun bunch to watch.

9 Losses:

At FSU
AT Texas
At Michigan
At IU
At MSU
At Wiscy
At Ohio State
At Nebraska

22-9 shouldn't "squeak" into the tournament. That's 7-9 range depending on quality/location of wins and timing of losses.

22-9 shouldn't "squeak" into the tournament. That's 7-9 range depending on quality/location of wins and timing of losses.
If we lose the games I mentioned, our quality wins will be very scarce. Whether we are an 8 seed or an 11 seed, my prediction remains losing in the round of 32.

I could see Purdue being a bubble NCAA tourney team. they will need some early wins over key opponents in non -conference games. last year, several BIG 10 teams were worthy of going to the dance, but for some reason were passed over.

I mention this because I believe Painter will be doing a lot of line-up experimenting early in the season which may lead to losses to quality teams. I believe Purdue will be strong at the end of the year with 20+ wins, but after a look at last year, sometimes 20 wins isn't enough. I'm not a huge fan of the automatic bids, but with that said, I'd also like to see the tourney narrowed down to at most 64 teams as well. I prefer quality over making money.

I think their floor is 15 wins and their ceiling is 27 wins. Point guard depth might be a concern with Eastern being the closest thing to a true PG. Also, Boudreaux might be their closest thing to a true 4 man.

9 Losses:

At FSU
AT Texas
At Michigan
At IU
At MSU
At Wiscy
At Ohio State
At Nebraska

Unlikely we go undefeated at home. Also unlikely we lose that many road games. Will be an interesting season that imo will really show how much painter has grown as a coach.

I think their floor is 15 wins and their ceiling is 27 wins. Point guard depth might be a concern with Eastern being the closest thing to a true PG. Also, Boudreaux might be their closest thing to a true 4 man.
Closest thing to a Point guard? You’re kidding right?

No, I'm not. Do you believe that Edwards, Eastern, or Hunter are considered "true" point guards?

No, I'm not. Do you believe that Edwards, Eastern, or Hunter are considered "true" point guards?
Absolutely they are all 3 bring something different all 3 can handle the ball all 3 can make decisions and pass the ball all 3 can create their own shot and get to the basket all 3 are quick and all 3 can defend. Being 6”7 at the PG position may not be prototypical bcuz of his size but he thinks and pass and see the floor like a PG he gets his teammates like a PG he’s a leader what PG offers so yes Nojel is a PG that can obviously play more than the PG position bcuz of his 6”7 and 220 pound size. Answering your question they got 3 PGs just all bring different things to the team

Reactions: jimsil13 and BBG
Ceiling is similar to last year's regular season in my opinion. The difference is, last year had a key injury in the post season and they weren't built athletically to make a lot of noise outside of Carsen, who is back. I think 22-30 wins is reasonable expectation, finishing 1-3 in the conference with an elite 8 run. So ceiling imo would be 30 wins, win the conference and an elite 8 (but as we saw last year, luck and matchups can get a team into the championship so that's always a possibility).

Worst case scenario, and that is if everything goes wrong (let's call this the less than .01% chance), 18 wins, no post season.

I would say this team lands much closer to the ceiling. Carsen, Improved Eastern, improved Haarms, EB, and Wheeler should have this team in contention for the Big and in the top 25 (or very close) all year. By the end they should be clicking and that is exactly when you want to be clicking.

Reactions: nagemj02
Let me put your mind at ease last season was and incredible one my son waited his turn now it’s his turn don’t judge him off of last season judge him on what he do this season trust and believe he is a true PG and much more 12 min a game no way you could gage what he is capable of 25+ min he gonna look like a totally different player believe that offensively especially. He is ready to take on that role and more but so is carsen and Eric all 3 unique but yet all 3 has something in common all can handle the ball pass the ball and create their own shots and off the dribble. Add Sasha into the mix bcuz he I believe can play some point the 2 and even the 3 bcuz his ability to shoot make decisions and handle the ball so Purdue got options at that position they all just need games under their belt

18 and 29, with even distribution

Hmmm, Ceiling...28 wins with a competitive Elite 8 loss. Floor...21 wins with a 2nd round exit. Hoping for the former! Super excited to see how the returning players have developed over the summer and to see what this team can do! Only 94 days until the opening tip! Can't wait!

"Do you think you could guard him?" I guess if a 50 something poster couldn't guard him, he must be a true point guard. You win.
Yeah, that was my “wtf?” reaction to another “not good enough” take by him.
I am still curious however of why he isn’t a true point? Anybody???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT