ADVERTISEMENT

What has gone so wrong for Purdue this year?

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
This is for discussion, please keep it civil. If you cannot debate like an adult, keep your opinions to yourself please.

Its patently obvious that this years team is far far worse than last years team. Why?

Possible reasons:
1. changes in assistant coaches- maybe Beth Couture was really running things behind the scenes and now that she is gone, the team is without coaching leadership?

2. Maybe Hardin as "coach on the floor" really was doing a lot of coaching and was the reason this team came to play every game?

3. Even worse chemistry than last year. It was pretty clear Petree and Madison did not play well together last season, to the point they were almost exclusively subbing in and out for each otheer t times at the end of the season. Could it be this years team just not gel at all?

4. Loss of Learn and Woltman drained all the toughness from this squad and our softness inside has infected the whole squad?

Anyone got any other ideas??????

I am at a loss why 4 of the 5 returning players are playing more poorly this season than last, and the 5th is still not playing as well as she did her first two season here. I am REALLY frustrated with Madison only shooting in 1 or 2 quarters and then just taking up space the rest of the game when she is on the floor. I am resigned that Caitlyn will only show out big in big games and will fade against most other teams, especially on the road. In fact this team whole top to bottom apparently cannot get motivated to play away from home as we are 1-8 outside the friendly confines of Mackey, with some real bad performances and losses and the only win against a badly outmatched Dayton team.

Bottom line no matter what the issue is; this is a coaching failure, whatever the reason driving this performance drop, its on the coach making 600k to figure it out and fix it.

I think a hard look needs to be made by administration at the end of the season that weighs plusses and minuses of where we are for the future. But does the administration even care? And this is somewhat based on an assumption that things do not turn overly positive in the rest of the season. Just saying the way it looks with righting the ship and where we are. That said, there are glaring concerns with this team, obviously. Coaching and player desire need to mesh.
I've said before that when you hire a coach who was a popular player earlier at your school, it can cause all sorts of dilemmas when things are not good. And we have been through that before. I am the first to honor time to grow a program when strives are being made towards a good future. It looks like we have some good recruits coming in. BUT, this present look is really still on the coaches since this is their jobs and the cupboard from last year wasn't actually empty. If the players are not into the system then that is still a coaching problem to me. Players and/or the coaches need to adapt using the best of the tools they have. Will there be the same problems with the next group? Or are we still looking at the past coach's players? I do know that it is agonizing to watch this team. I would love to hear other views. I long for the old days. Go Boilers!

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelRR
Your questions are valid but you left out a big question. Are a number of the players we have the problem and not the coaches and once the so called 'old players' are gone things will improve starting next year. I don't any one of us here can have any idea what the real eason(s) are

Your questions are valid but you left out a big question. Are a number of the players we have the problem and not the coaches and once the so called 'old players' are gone things will improve starting next year. I don't any one of us here can have any idea what the real eason(s) are
Even if its the returning players just "ran out of give a damn", that is still a coaching problem to recognize and fix or move them down the bench until they start caring again. Also you have to ask WHY did they lose their love of the game, was it in fact a coaching toxicity problem? But yeah, that is a valid question to ask, and I appreciate your input.

I think a hard look needs to be made by administration at the end of the season that weighs plusses and minuses of where we are for the future. But does the administration even care? And this is somewhat based on an assumption that things do not turn overly positive in the rest of the season. Just saying the way it looks with righting the ship and where we are. That said, there are glaring concerns with this team, obviously. Coaching and player desire need to mesh.
I've said before that when you hire a coach who was a popular player earlier at your school, it can cause all sorts of dilemmas when things are not good. And we have been through that before. I am the first to honor time to grow a program when strives are being made towards a good future. It looks like we have some good recruits coming in. BUT, this present look is really is still on the coaches since this is their jobs and the cupboard from last year wasn't actually empty. If the players are not into the system then that is still a coaching problem to me. Players and/or the coaches need to adapt using the best of the tools they have. Will there be the same problems with the next group? Or are we still looking at the past coach's players? I do know that it is agonizing to watch this team. I would love to hear other views. I long for the old days. Go Boilers!

1. Bobinski doesn't care, if he did he would not have gone after Stephanie White first and Gearlds second when a lot of good options like Shea Raph now at Vandy were available.

2. KG needs 2 more years to establish whether she can do this or not. Three years is too quick to pull the plug. This season may be an aberration and we could bounce right back next year. Or this could be the harbinger of where we are headed and a change will need to be made... Will Bobinski make that change? Probably not.

1. Bobinski doesn't care, if he did he would not have gone after Stephanie White first and Gearlds second when a lot of good options like Shea Raph now at Vandy were available.

2. KG needs 2 more years to establish whether she can do this or not. Three years is too quick to pull the plug. This season may be an aberration and we could bounce right back next year. Or this could be the harbinger of where we are headed and a change will need to be made... Will Bobinski make that change? Probably not.
I think the two more years statement you make is reasonable. At that point it is clearly on her as "her team" . Though, we are fans and fans complain when things are bad, I feel we still need to endure the present, even if the pain is tough to take.

Well gee let’s look at our schedule to see why we may be sitting where we are right now at 2-6.

Sure 5 of our first 9 games may have come at home with the other 4 on the road. Unfortunately for us. 3 of the five have and against the top teams in the big ten and country, with OSU coming into Mackey Sunday.

The other 4 road games (Minnesota, PSU, MD michigan state) were always looking tough. Obviously giving away the Minnesota game due to a dumbass play excruciatingly hurts right now. PSU beat us last year at their place and are infinitely better this year returning everyone and adding Owusu who is a pro player. They are clearly a tournament team as of now. MD is down but still very talented - beating at their place is always a task especially with this team who struggles to score. MSU is the surprise team but they were not super bad last year. We barely beat them at their place and the rubber match was cancelled. They weren’t left with a barren cupboard and obviously their new coach is just taking their talent and playing the same way. And again it’s a road game,

So there ya go. I would not have blinked an eye if you told me at the beginning of the year if we would’ve lost @minny @psu @md perhaps I was thinking we’d beat MSU but they have been a big surprise and are looking like a tournament team. And then lose home matches to Iowa and Indiana. At best I was thinking we be 4-4 right now but road matches at minny and msu were always toss ups. So while hoping 4-4 - I’m not surprised at 2-6. Bummed yes - but not surprising.

And save it with the fire KG schtick. She has done nothing to warrant that and her seat isn’t even close to being warm.

I'm sure it's a multitude of issues causing this season to down spiral, but another issue may be not having a player that can consistently get a bucket to settle everyone down. Petree was able to do that somewhat last year and I think we really miss that. I'm looking forward to Amiyah and Poole coming in next year to help with not only their ability to create for themselves but to create for others. We seem to have alot of secondary players that are better playing off someone instead of being the initiator on offense. Both of them should help in this area. Defense is a whole other issue.

Well gee let’s look at our schedule to see why we may be sitting where we are right now at 2-6.

Sure 5 of our first 9 games may have come at home with the other 4 on the road. Unfortunately for us. 3 of the five have and against the top teams in the big ten and country, with OSU coming into Mackey Sunday.

The other 4 road games (Minnesota, PSU, MD michigan state) were always looking tough. Obviously giving away the Minnesota game due to a dumbass play excruciatingly hurts right now. PSU beat us last year at their place and are infinitely better this year returning everyone and adding Owusu who is a pro player. They are clearly a tournament team as of now. MD is down but still very talented - beating at their place is always a task especially with this team who struggles to score. MSU is the surprise team but they were not super bad last year. We barely beat them at their place and the rubber match was cancelled. They weren’t left with a barren cupboard and obviously their new coach is just taking their talent and playing the same way. And again it’s a road game,

So there ya go. I would not have blinked an eye if you told me at the beginning of the year if we would’ve lost @minny @psu @md perhaps I was thinking we’d beat MSU but they have been a big surprise and are looking like a tournament team. And then lose home matches to Iowa and Indiana. At best I was thinking we be 4-4 right now but road matches at minny and msu were always toss ups. So while hoping 4-4 - I’m not surprised at 2-6. Bummed yes - but not surprising.

And save it with the fire KG schtick. She has done nothing to warrant that and her seat isn’t even close to being warm.
Its not just that we are losing, its that we are getting pounded and looking like a poorly coached team while losing by 15-27 points in these contests. You predicted us going 11-7 in conference, so you OBVIOUSLY did not see us losing all those games, despite your noise to the contrary now.

Let’s compare this year with last year and see how much “worse” we are this year to last.

22-23
@Minny - 8 pt Loss
@PSU - double digit loss
Home vs MD (didn’t play away) -close loss
Home vs. IU - 20+ pt loss
@MSU - 5 pt OT win.
@iowa (didn’t play at home) - Big loss.

23-24
@Minny - 2 pt loss
@PSU - double digit loss
@MD - double digit loss
Indiana - close loss
@msu - double digit loss
Iowa - big loss

So save for the MSU game - there is very little difference between last years results and this year. Last year the rag tag spartans were playing without a head coach. We barely beat them and I didn’t feel confident we’d win the rematch had it been played.

• Haha
Its not just that we are losing, its that we are getting pounded and looking like a poorly coached team while losing by 15-27 points in these contests. You predicted us going 11-7 in conference, so you OBVIOUSLY did not see us losing all those games, despite your noise to the contrary now.

You are such a psychopath. I am never responding to your little gotchya prediction contests ever again. You make this board hell on earth. I made the assumption on a lot of toss up games in conference - games I thought could go either way. On the assumption we’d be getting 10+ ppg from Smith (considering she averaged 7 ppg last year) and meaningful contribution from Reynolds’. That clearly hasnt happened in the slightest. SHOOT LITTLE DUMB ME! I was hoping to upend MSU and Minnesota on the road - not knowing how their teams were going to respond to a coaching changes. We played Maryland tough at home a season ago - And they seemed down so i thought maybe we could pull an upset. But that obviously didn’t go as planned because it’s college basketball and playing a team tough one year at home and then the next on the road is completely different. So yes None of that happened. I knew you were using that “fun little prediction” contest to fuel your agenda.

You are so sick in the head.

• Haha
As was said earlier in this thread somewhere, I think next year will be the key year to look at the character of this team and the staff, and where we are headed in the future. Poole will be on the court from the day 1 tip, Jones will be better, Stevenson will be better, Swanson will be better. I would like a portal rebounder, pounder if that could happen. I really thought (and predicted also) we would be a step better this year than last. Some who came back are not making us better, and we are seeing that. In my opinion, last year's team was okay and still a ways from good, but was better than this year. It doesn't mean much comparing the teams though. When we are at the point of hoping for a miracle to win an away game, here and there, we are at best a mid 3rd tier team. Just the way it is with how WBB has progressed now, I guess. Obviously some schools have figured it out and we can also. I still cheer us on. Go Boilers!

As was said earlier in this thread somewhere, I think next year will be the key year to look at the character of this team and the staff, and where we are headed in the future. Poole will be on the court from the day 1 tip, Jones will be better, Stevenson will be better, Swanson will be better. I would like a portal rebounder, pounder if that could happen. I really thought (and predicted also) we would be a step better this year than last. Some who came back are not making us better, and we are seeing that. In my opinion, last year's team was okay and still a ways from good, but was better than this year. It doesn't mean much comparing the teams though. When we are at the point of hoping for a miracle to win an away game, here and there, we are at best a mid 3rd tier team. Just the way it is with how WBB has progressed now, I guess. Obviously some schools have figured it out and we can also. I still cheer us on. Go Boilers!
We are going to be very young next year. I would almost expect a losing season. Its where we go in two years that will really tell the tale on this coach and staff IMO

Even if its the returning players just "ran out of give a damn", that is still a coaching problem to recognize and fix or move them down the bench until they start caring again. Also you have to ask WHY did they lose their love of the game, was it in fact a coaching toxicity problem? But yeah, that is a valid question to ask, and I appreciate your input.
All points above are pretty good except for the get rid of CKG crap.

This team really misses Harden from a leadership standpoint. Last year the team played for her making the tournament. The seniors this year just have not stepped up. My neighbor is an usher at the games and says that the four seniors are always the last ones out on the court to start warm ups whereas harden was always first.

I think we all agree the first years should be playing way more. What happens to the off the court dynamic once the "leaders" lose their playing time to kids who are more error prone but give way more effort. Is that why the change hasnt happened yet?

The one that I'm most disappointed with is Madison Layden. To me, as one of our better shooters, her taking only 3 shots last night makes no sense. She goes 3 for 3 with 2 of them being 3 pointers. Was the MSU defense that strong she couldn't get her shot off. I missed the game as my great grandson had a basketball game. Hope to get him to a Purdue 3-day basketball camp this June on my dime. His dad is a big Ohio State fan so need for him to experience Purdue and coach Painter.

The one that I'm most disappointed with is Madison Layden. To me, as one of our better shooters, her taking only 3 shots last night makes no sense. She goes 3 for 3 with 2 of them being 3 pointers. Was the MSU defense that strong she couldn't get her shot off. I missed the game as my great grandson had a basketball game. Hope to get him to a Purdue 3-day basketball camp this June on my dime. His dad is a big Ohio State fan so need for him to experience Purdue and coach Painter.
She didn't play much in the second half. Caitlyn Harper didn't play much in the second half either. I read Coach Gearlds said she was hurt from the IU game.

She didn't play much in the second half. Caitlyn Harper didn't play much in the second half either. I read Coach Gearlds said she was hurt from the IU game.
Caitlyn was supposedly playing hurt, nothing was said about Madison being hurt, and this is not the first time she disappeared once the opponents intensity picked up.

Reactions: HoopDad317
As I’ve said, probably a great group of ladies, a group that for Purdue’s women’s hoops sake needs to move on. Not a lot of good athletes, a group capable of winning the MAC, not competing in the Big Ten. I do hope Layden returns, if she doesn’t that’s fine as well, team needs new blood, the 5th/6th year players aren’t cutting it, not a shot at them as people, just players. Hoping 2 capable players/one’s that make a difference are brought in portal wise, not girls from Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield etc, time to play big girl hoops.

As I’ve said, probably a great group of ladies, a group that for Purdue’s women’s hoops sake needs to move on. Not a lot of good athletes, a group capable of winning the MAC, not competing in the Big Ten. I do hope Layden returns, if she doesn’t that’s fine as well, team needs new blood, the 5th/6th year players aren’t cutting it, not a shot at them as people, just players. Hoping 2 capable players/one’s that make a difference are brought in portal wise, not girls from Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield etc, time to play big girl hoops.

Okay, let's say for a thought exercise that Timea Gardiner decides to go to the portal to get out of Oregon State, rats leaving a sinking ship and all. She is 6'3" a top 20 recruit out of high school from Utah, and averages around 9 points and 7 rebounds per game. She gets phone calls from Utah, IU, MSU, PSU, LSU, Iowa, Purdue and 2 dozen others all in need of a post player of her caliber. Do you really think we get a phone call back considering the competition? KG went into the portal last year for a post and came out with Alaina and Mila. What on earth makes you think after a losing season she is going fare any better? The portal is not a super market where you get to pick and choose from what's on offer. Its much more like fishing, and unfortunately the Purdue women have no bait to put on the hook for a high profile difference maker transfer. Those difference makers want a team that is loaded to go to the NCAA and make some noise and a likely deep run, not be part of a rebuilding program where they are having to lead a team of underclassmen just hoping to get back to WNIT eligibility. So expect if we do get someone from the portal its either a malcontent like Petree or Owusu on her third program, or someone from Podunk state polytechnical college.

I've listened on radio or watched almost every game that was on TV. I like the players but the there is a difference to liking and being able to perform in competition. There are a few I think give it their best every game and some you just never know from game to game. They have been hard to watch (turnovers) and even listen to the radio descriptions of our play. With a group of sophomores and freshmen how much can be expected next year. I'm not big on what people think may happen next year until I see what really happens on the floor. High expectations of certain players leads to major disappointment when the performance doesn't match. (Potts had very high expectations and we know how that turned out and I had bought into the hype.) I hope the group next year performs above expectations and we get over that 500 mark, but I am not going to speculate until I see the product on the floor. It seems some know quite a bit more about the incoming class than I and hope you are right. I will say if the group we have continues to perform poorly, I would like to see the freshmen mixed in more to gain experience. What is the difference between a 15-20 point loss with your seniors and a 15-20 point loss playing your youngsters?

I've listened on radio or watched almost every game that was on TV. I like the players but the there is a difference to liking and being able to perform in competition. There are a few I think give it their best every game and some you just never know from game to game. They have been hard to watch (turnovers) and even listen to the radio descriptions of our play. With a group of sophomores and freshmen how much can be expected next year. I'm not big on what people think may happen next year until I see what really happens on the floor. High expectations of certain players leads to major disappointment when the performance doesn't match. (Potts had very high expectations and we know how that turned out and I had bought into the hype.) I hope the group next year performs above expectations and we get over that 500 mark, but I am not going to speculate until I see the product on the floor. It seems some know quite a bit more about the incoming class than I and hope you are right. I will say if the group we have continues to perform poorly, I would like to see the freshmen mixed in more to gain experience. What is the difference between a 15-20 point loss with your seniors and a 15-20 point loss playing your youngsters?
I agree with most of this, but its a difference of a 15-20 point loss with the seniors or a 30-40 point loss with the freshmen.

Poole is rated in the top 60, and should give depth or start at point guard. Puryear is a wide body and 6'1" with decent touch around the rim but little range. McCarthy is 6'3" - 6'4" big, slow, and good shooting out to the free throw line. Neither of the incoming freshmen posts are rated and both could need a year or two to be ready for extended minutes, but with Alaina and Mila both being busts, we really need one of the freshmen posts to be game ready day 1. I expect Jones, Stevenson, and Swanson to be better and ready to play next season; the rest of the returners???????? Madison will play if she comes back. the rest are all badly flawed in one or more areas of the game and may take another 2 years to be ready for extended Big Ten minutes IMO.

I agree with most of this, but its a difference of a 15-20 point loss with the seniors or a 30-40 point loss with the freshmen.

Poole is rated in the top 60, and should give depth or start at point guard. Puryear is a wide body and 6'1" with decent touch around the rim but little range. McCarthy is 6'3" - 6'4" big, slow, and good shooting out to the free throw line. Neither of the incoming freshmen posts are rated and both could need a year or two to be ready for extended minutes, but with Alaina and Mila both being busts, we really need one of the freshmen posts to be game ready day 1. I expect Jones, Stevenson, and Swanson to be better and ready to play next season; the rest of the returners???????? Madison will play if she comes back. the rest are all badly flawed in one or more areas of the game and may take another 2 years to be ready for extended Big Ten minutes IMO.
I wouldn't suggest turning it over to the current freshmen, just rotating them in a little more with the main group. I don't want to see any 30-40 point losses. The ones we have are bad enough. Thanks for the info on the newcomers.

I wouldn't suggest turning it over to the current freshmen, just rotating them in a little more with the main group. I don't want to see any 30-40 point losses. The ones we have are bad enough. Thanks for the info on the newcomers.
I would like to see Swanson get more minutes, Jones and Stevenson are getting as many as they can handle already, and the rest are not ready for Big Ten level competition IMO, maybe in a year or two.........

I think we saw a little of it at msu with the younger layden getting more PT than her older sister(unless there was a injury I don't know about). They could still be managing swanson's minutes a tad because of her coming off the acl, and Jones/Stevenson dealt with foul issues otherwise they may have played more. I'm with you though, I'd like to see the freshman get some more minutes, but obviously not giving up completely on the seniors. Maybe Spider Jones cracks the starting lineup and gets 20+ every game from here on.

I would like to see Swanson get more minutes, Jones and Stevenson are getting as many as they can handle already, and the rest are not ready for Big Ten level competition IMO, maybe in a year or two.........
Dont forget the younger Reynolds is probably the best of the entire bunch. She will have an entire year and a half between playing games but hopefully the talent and drive is still there.

If Layden comes back I doubt the younger players rally around her like everyone did for Harden.

I think we saw a little of it at msu with the younger layden getting more PT than her older sister(unless there was a injury I don't know about). They could still be managing swanson's minutes a tad because of her coming off the acl, and Jones/Stevenson dealt with foul issues otherwise they may have played more. I'm with you though, I'd like to see the freshman get some more minutes, but obviously not giving up completely on the seniors. Maybe Spider Jones cracks the starting lineup and gets 20+ every game from here on.
Jones gets in foul trouble very easily, I am not sure starting her at this point in her career would actually help her development. I think first off the bench getting 20 minutes a night is right about where she needs to be right now. Agree on Swanson, according to Coach Gearlds she is way behind on defense because they did most of that work preseason so she is having to play catch up in the small amount of practice time she gets to work on D. If McKenna showed any offense, I would be all for her getting a lot more minutes, but she is absolutely awful on that end of the floor at this point. The best thing she does bring is she is first on the team in assist to turnover ratio. She only has 13 assists but that's against 5 turnovers. She has also shown a knack for rebounding in her few minutes.

Dont forget the younger Reynolds is probably the best of the entire bunch. She will have an entire year and a half between playing games but hopefully the talent and drive is still there.

If Layden comes back I doubt the younger players rally around her like everyone did for Harden.
I believe the one in high school is the best of the Reynolds sisters, but Amiyah was also in the top 50-60 range of the rankings. I just worry about players coming back after bad knee injuries, some show no problems, and some never get it back to where they are effective.

Jones gets in foul trouble very easily, I am not sure starting her at this point in her career would actually help her development. I think first off the bench getting 20 minutes a night is right about where she needs to be right now. Agree on Swanson, according to Coach Gearlds she is way behind on defense because they did most of that work preseason so she is having to play catch up in the small amount of practice time she gets to work on D. If McKenna showed any offense, I would be all for her getting a lot more minutes, but she is absolutely awful on that end of the floor at this point. The best thing she does bring is she is first on the team in assist to turnover ratio. She only has 13 assists but that's against 5 turnovers. She has also shown a knack for rebounding in her few minutes.
Good point on Jones. I remember hearing coach KG talk about Swanson trying to catch up defensively, and it makes you wonder how much better she might be next year with a full offseason of strength training, playbook install, and just being even farther removed from the acl injury which hasn't even been a year since she got hurt. As for McKenna, I think she just needs to see one or two shots go in. Sure, I don't think she'll ever be much of a creator on offense, but I think she's a better shooter than her numbers show. I like the quicker release and form on her shot. Like you mentioned, she has shown some ability to rebound and even drew a charge at msu. She had what, 27 minutes at msu? 15-20ish seems like a good number going forward assuming we continue to lose.

Caitlyn was supposedly playing hurt, nothing was said about Madison being hurt, and this is not the first time she disappeared once the opponents intensity picked up.

Hardin had an outgoing personality that drew people to her. Madison is socially awkward. Which is fine but I don’t see players wanting to play “for her” like it was suggested they did for Hardin. Not so sure Madison has built the relationships with her teammates that are necessary for that to happen. She clearly didn’t like Petree scoring. And frankly, I don’t think she likes Ellis because Ellis’ energy, really exposes her. I definitely could be wrong. But maybe all of that caused her to lose her love of the game? Who knows.

Problem is who would take her for one year with her current body of work? Valpo or Ball State?
Correct, lower level program would take her and hope she prospers at a different school. As for your other point, you go after the top players, if you don’t get then you don’t get them. I’m sure there’s good players out there that would love to be the player that can lead the team, I know this, this is Purdue, it isn’t a crap school. Also, you told me a few weeks ago that Penn State didn’t have portal girls. I watched yesterday, practically their whole team is lol. 3 of their top 5 that I watched were at other schools last year.

Correct, lower level program would take her and hope she prospers at a different school. As for your other point, you go after the top players, if you don’t get then you don’t get them. I’m sure there’s good players out there that would love to be the player that can lead the team, I know this, this is Purdue, it isn’t a crap school. Also, you told me a few weeks ago that Penn State didn’t have portal girls. I watched yesterday, practically their whole team is lol. 3 of their top 5 that I watched were at other schools last year.
I said they only had a couple, because I knew about Owusu. After I really dug into them I realized they had 10 and posted that correction. In fact I have mentioned it a couple of times as Kriegers home for misfits and how its really crippled her ability to get any high schoolers of note with 2/3s of her roster being transfers.

I still think you are completely wrong about there being lots of good players going into the portal that want to be a big fish in a really little pond.

Whether we are Purdue or Podunk U really doesn't matter much in the portal. If those kids were valuing education over athletics, they would stay and finish their degree at their first school, and maybe even would have chosen a higher academic school with lower basketball to begin with.

The truth will come out this spring. We won't be landing an Angel Reese type player in the portal, I'd bet the house on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT