ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone remember the last time...

Apr 1, 2019
a team ranked No. 2 added a Quad 1 win, making them the team with the most Quad 1 wins, fell in the rankings? I'm at a loss how Purdue dropped from 2 to 3 in the AP. Makes no sense. (I also know it's inconsequential, but it's worth asking.)

a team ranked No. 2 added a Quad 1 win, making them the team with the most Quad 1 wins, fell in the rankings? I'm at a loss how Purdue dropped from 2 to 3 in the AP. Makes no sense. (I also know it's inconsequential, but it's worth asking.)
One of many reasons why the AP poll is not used in any way in the selection process.

Thank goodness, because some of those voters are clueless.

For what it's worth Lunardi still has us as the #1 overall seed.

Don't know of any other occurrence, sports media controls the narrative here and optics are everything. UConn is winning by larger margins than use, against lesser teams imo, but those big blowouts are staying in the minds of the AP voters. They quickly forget the beatdown Creighton gave them.

Reactions: Schnelk
One of many reasons why the AP poll is not used in any way in the selection process.

Thank goodness, because some of those voters are clueless.

For what it's worth Lunardi still has us as the #1 overall seed.
No, but they use RPI which is arguably a worse metric.

Not really sure - one thing about the switch is that I think Purdue had a single point edge on Connecticut last week, so all it would take would be one voter to switch. Plus, the Big Ten now has only two ranked teams....that doesn't help with overall perception. A win over Michigan State is good (and usually is very good or great), but I think the perception for many is not there this year after the early season struggles - especially if you don't follow the Big Ten closely. JMHO.

The metrics are there for Purdue - where some years, it's a battle. Although, Purdue did slip to #3 in KenPom as well (#2 Offense, #21 defense). The Boilers will get their chance, regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEss
We were 1 total point ahead of UConn last week. They demolished Seton Hall while we didn't cover against Michigan State. They were more impressive during the week. It went from +1 to -3, which is the equivalent of 2 voters flipping the two. That isn't all that happened as we had one voter move us from 7 to 4 as well. But the point is that it was close, and it still is.

And it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT