ADVERTISEMENT

Clown world

Boilermaker03

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2004
Valparaiso, IN

Pure insanity.

Can't be! The NYT is the most trustworthy source ever!

Rules for thee but not for me! Common guys, they're just leading by example!

🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

The NYT is absolutely garbage as a source and has been as far back as WWII , but I recently changed my mind about lowering the voting age to zero. I am all for it for a few different reasons, and actually think it is a good idea.

The NYT is absolutely garbage as a source and has been as far back as WWII , but I recently changed my mind about lowering the voting age to zero. I am all for it for a few different reasons, and actually think it is a good idea.

Lefties aren't having kids so letting parents vote for children doesn't make sense fo lr them, IMO

Reactions: pboiler18
There is NO reason at all that makes this a good idea...

Lefties aren't having kids so letting parents vote for children doesn't make sense fo lr them, IMO
It's not a "lefty" position. If anything, it's a conservative one.

edit: Put politics aside either way. If you think it through, it makes logical sense, given the current institutions we have, how they were formed, and where we are going as a country.

I had a snap-judgement about how truly horrible it was about two months ago, and then did a few hours of research and talked it out with someone and did a complete 180. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I am personally for it now. It is the probably the most recent example of a time that I have absolutely and completely changed my mind on something.

edit: Put politics aside either way. If you think it through, it makes logical sense, given the current institutions we have, how they were formed, and where we are going as a country.

I had a snap-judgement about how truly horrible it was about two months ago, and then did a few hours of research and talked it out with someone and did a complete 180. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I am personally for it now. It is the probably the most recent example of a time that I have absolutely and completely changed my mind on something.

Do you mean looking at things thru how it impacts our children? Not quite sure I follow.

Dude - On paper it may seem to make sense, but it's actually a horrible idea.

Do you mean looking at things thru how it impacts our children? Not quite sure I follow.
Basically, people that have children perhaps should have more of a say in a democracy than people who do not. Families have a vested interest in the country in which they live and bring children up in, far more so than some couple with no children. Why are those children not counted in the voting public? If you have four children, you have a family of six. If all four children are under 18, your two votes that affect the public education system, public policy and how the local and federal government are run, are worth the exact same as a couple that are living together with no children, and no plans for any children.

That doesn't make any logical sense.

Our country was founded on the idea that a person needed to be a certain age/sex/color to vote, because it was assumed that by those standards the person voting would be an educated and informed American. Even though we have shattered some of those barriers, which has been a GOOD THING!, hoping that everyone who votes is "an educated American" obviously has failed. We have a large amount of society voting that have absolutely zero understanding of complex political policy and issues (this sentence is written in a way so that everyone in this thread can say "haha yes! I have total understanding of these issues, and it is my political opponents that have no idea what they are doing!") It seems one of two ways forward are possible: either gate-keep by making exams/standards for people to pass in order to vote, or just give every single American citizen a single vote, starting at the day of their birth.

The second one makes sense to me, morally, ethically and rationally. The end result (IN THEORY) would be a more democratic (small d here) society in which all and every living generation is represented. Statistically speaking, this would give mothers far more political power in the country, based on how single-families break down.

It may turn out to be horrible in practice (a lot of ideas are), but it is something that I have rationally thought out, studied, and can justify intellectually, emotionally, factually and ethically, so I stand by it.

If anyone would like to make the case where they disagree with me, I would be happy to consider it.

Basically, people that have children perhaps should have more of a say in a democracy than people who do not. Families have a vested interest in the country in which they live and bring children up in, far more so than some couple with no children. Why are those children not counted in the voting public? If you have four children, you have a family of six. If all four children are under 18, your two votes that affect the public education system, public policy and how the local and federal government are run, are worth the exact same as a couple that are living together with no children, and no plans for any children.

That doesn't make any logical sense.

Our country was founded on the idea that a person needed to be a certain age/sex/color to vote, because it was assumed that by those standards the person voting would be an educated and informed American. Even though we have shattered some of those barriers, which has been a GOOD THING!, hoping that everyone who votes is "an educated American" obviously has failed. We have a large amount of society voting that have absolutely zero understanding of complex political policy and issues (this sentence is written in a way so that everyone in this thread can say "haha yes! I have total understanding of these issues, and it is my political opponents that have no idea what they are doing!") It seems one of two ways forward are possible: either gate-keep by making exams/standards for people to pass in order to vote, or just give every single American citizen a single vote, starting at the day of their birth.

The second one makes sense to me, morally, ethically and rationally. The end result (IN THEORY) would be a more democratic (small d here) society in which all and every living generation is represented. Statistically speaking, this would give mothers far more political power in the country, based on how single-families break down.

It may turn out to be horrible in practice (a lot of ideas are), but it is something that I have rationally thought out, studied, and can justify intellectually, emotionally, factually and ethically, so I stand by it.

If anyone would like to make the case where they disagree with me, I would be happy to consider it.

That is an interesting point of view. Will think more on this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT