ADVERTISEMENT

Gasoline up 30%, natural gas up 150% in Biden's climate change fiasco

First move Biden made was reducing US oil production. At that point in time Biden should have been increasing US oil production. He knew demand was going to increase
I've seen this claim here a lot and have tried to verify it with no luck. It seems to be based on the January executive order that temporarily suspended new oil/gas leasing on federal lands and on the cancellation of the Keystone XL pipeline. However, neither of these policies would affect oil production in the short term:

1. Keystone XL pipeline extension had not been completed and, thus, was not moving any oil. It should also be noted that the existing Keystone pipeline is still functioning. It's only the XL extension on which construction was cancelled and, since only about 8% of it had been completed at the time of cancellation, it would've still been several years before it had any impact. Existing pipelines also appear to be able to handle increased volume even without the XL extension, and, oh yeah, Keystone brought in imported Canadian oil anyway, not US oil. SOURCE

2. The executive order was similarly forward-looking. It prevents NEW leases to drill on federal lands. All existing leases are still in effect and, in fact, the Biden administration is on pace (or at least they were as of July) to approve more new drilling permits (these are different than leases) this year than in any since GW Bush was president. SOURCE

"Because vast fossil fuel reserves already are under lease, those actions did nothing to slow drilling on public lands and waters that account for about a quarter of U.S. oil production."

3. Also noted in the above source, drilling on federal lands and waters makes up only about a quarter of US oil production. 75% of US oil production takes place on state or private land and has not been affected in any way by Biden administration policies regarding federal lands. If you include natural gas, production on federal lands is only about 9% of the total. SOURCE

"Holding back new drilling permits would gradually reduce production on federal land, since oil-and-gas wells pump less over time and companies have to drill new wells to sustain production.

But many companies have already obtained approvals to drill additional wells on U.S. lands, so they would be able to keep drilling for years, even if no additional permits are granted."

4. While US oil production is, in fact, down a bit in 2021 as compared to 2020, the total change in output is estimated to be about 160,000 barrels per day, or only about 1.5% less. The drop in production appears to be more the result of pandemic-related demand issues than any government policy. It's also expected to rise 650,000 bpd (about 5.8% compared to 2021) in 2022. SOURCE

While it's accurate to say that Biden's long-term goal is to reduce US oil production in combination with a move to renewable energy sources, it is not accurate to say his policies have affected oil production in 2021. Should the suspension of leases remain, then, yes, years down the road, there would be less production on federal lands as the currently-active wells dry up and there becomes no more room for new drilling on existing leases. It is, of course, perfectly valid to disagree with the long-term goal, but there seems to be no link between higher gas prices in 2021 and Biden administration policies regarding US oil production (rather, it seems increased demand and higher prices have spurred increased production as the year has gone on), unless there are other policies of which I'm unaware.

Edit: @BuilderBob6 German'd be by one minute...guess I should've typed faster 😂

Last edited:
Just like Joe Biden we have some that don't understand the concept, some decisions have long term consequences. This same writer says in another article Biden is not responsible for gas prices today. But his policies will have implications in the longer term, that will lead to higher prices. Hence the reason I have consistently said one can argue on the exact time, it leads to higher prices. As the writer points out we already have seen this play out in California. Europe is moving too fast as well. Unfortunately Biden is too dumb to think about long term implications. And Kamala wants to repeat the same mistakes California made for the entire country. Dumb and dumber.

Lol "As the White House sought to comply with a court order". Courts are trying to help old Joe out with his idiotic energy policies and idiotic border policies.

Just like Joe Biden we have some that don't understand the concept, some decisions have long term consequences. This same writer says in another article Biden is not responsible for gas prices today. But his policies will have implications in the longer term, that will lead to higher prices. Hence the reason I have consistently said one can argue on the exact time, it leads to higher prices. As the writer points out we already have seen this play out in California. Europe is moving too fast as well. Unfortunately Biden is too dumb to think about long term implications. And Kamala wants to repeat the same mistakes California made for the entire country. Dumb and dumber.

You could have just said you’re moving the goalposts. Would have been a lot less for you to type out.

The discussion of how quickly we should change over from fossil fuels to renewables is a worthy one with many aspects to consider. However, the premise of this thread is that gasoline and natural gas prices are up RIGHT NOW because of Biden's policies and you claimed, twice, that one of Biden's first moves was to reduce US oil production, which simply doesn't seem to be true. Your claim that reducing production will necessarily lead to higher prices at some undefined point in the future due to reduced supply might turn out to be true, but it is also possible that reduced supply will coincide with reduced demand. It's also possible that reduced production on federal lands (the only ones Biden's policies so far would affect) will be offset by increased production on state and/or private lands and the overall supply wouldn't drop.

Even this Forbes article you've posted supports the overall goal of eliminating fossil fuels from our energy mix as much as possible and simply advocates moving slower. As I suggested in my first post, this is a reasonable position to take, but it doesn't support the idea that Biden reduced oil production "on day one" or that Biden's policies are the cause of the current higher energy prices.

Lol "As the White House sought to comply with a court order". Courts are trying to help old Joe out with his idiotic energy policies and idiotic border policies.
Biden wants to switch from oil, gas and coal to windmills and solar panels with no nuclear power plants. He and his administration simply lack the scientific and engineering knowledge to understand that this cannot be done.

The discussion of how quickly we should change over from fossil fuels to renewables is a worthy one with many aspects to consider. However, the premise of this thread is that gasoline and natural gas prices are up RIGHT NOW because of Biden's policies and you claimed, twice, that one of Biden's first moves was to reduce US oil production, which simply doesn't seem to be true. Your

I have not made the claim gas prices are up today because of Biden's policies. I have consistently said you can debate the exact time his policies will impact gas prices. The article I linked explains why Biden policies will eventually cause an increase in prices

The thread started with an article pasted from liberal New York Times. Biden first actions in office were taken were to reduce oil production in the U.S. The courts over ruled Biden action, so now he has to comply with court order.

Biden was too dumb to understand he needed oil/energy friendly policies at this point in time. If you also want to dual track alternate sources of energy that is fine.

Biden was too dumb to understand long term policy implications of 1.9 trillion stimulus package, immigration policy, Afghanistan withdrawal, executive orders related to oil. It's a consistent pattern with him. And now despite inflation red lights flashing he wants 3.5 trillion more in government spending.

I have not made the claim gas prices are up today because of Biden's policies.
"First move Biden made was reducing US oil production" would seem to indicate that you do indeed think this is the case, considering the context of the thread in which it was posted, but I'm happy to chalk it up to a misunderstanding on my part.
I have consistently said you can debate the exact time his policies will impact gas prices. The article I linked explains why Biden policies will eventually cause an increase in prices
If your only point is that you disagree with Biden's policies and are concerned about their long-term impact, that's fine. Your article doesn't describe anything about what WILL happen, it expresses a concern about what COULD happen:

"If we prematurely discourage investment in fossil fuels — and then our dependence doesn't decline as rapidly as the Biden Administration envisions — that is a recipe for shortages, higher prices, and greater dependence on foreign nations for our energy.

I understand that the Keystone XL cancellation is more about messaging than anything else. It is a signal to the world that we are serious about combatting climate change. But if our message is undermined by our actions (e.g., failing to replace fossil fuels with renewables quickly enough), what have we accomplished?"

Notice the use of the word "IF" a couple of times and the use of the word "risk" in the article title and in the text. The author's concern is that if we reduce supply without also reducing demand, we're in for trouble, and that Biden's policies pose a RISK that this could happen. He doesn't, at any point, say that this will necessarily happen, as you seem to believe. On this point, I agree with the author, hence I support significant public investment in renewables, nuclear, energy storage, grid improvement, etc.

I jumped into the thread only to disprove the notion that Biden was the cause for currently-observed higher energy prices. Since you agree with me that's true, there's nothing left to discuss.

[/CENTER]
Notice the use of the word "IF" a couple of times and the use of the word "risk" in the article title and in the text. The author's concern is that if we reduce supply without also reducing demand, we're in for trouble, and that Biden's policies pose a RISK that this could happen. He doesn't, at any point, say that this will necessarily happen, as you seem to believe. On this point, I agree with the author, hence I support significant public investment in renewables, nuclear, energy storage, grid improvement, etc.
Now paste in the quote, where the writer says this isn't just theoretical. We already have seen what happened in California.

Any president at this point in time should have come into office with oil friendly policies. Even if your goal long term is to get rid of fossil fuels, all the more reason to have oil friendly policies during the transition. Biden and progressives are too dumb to understand this.

Now paste in the quote, where the writer says this isn't just theoretical. We already have seen what happened in California.

Any president at this point in time should have come into office with oil friendly policies. Even if your goal long term is to get rid of fossil fuels, all the more reason to have oil friendly policies during the transition. Biden and progressives are too dumb to understand this.
Liberals are just plain and simply complete idiots

Reactions: SKYDOG
I have not made the claim gas prices are up today because of Biden's policies. I have consistently said you can debate the exact time his policies will impact gas prices. The article I linked explains why Biden policies will eventually cause an increase in prices

The thread started with an article pasted from liberal New York Times. Biden first actions in office were taken were to reduce oil production in the U.S. The courts over ruled Biden action, so now he has to comply with court order.

Biden was too dumb to understand he needed oil/energy friendly policies at this point in time. If you also want to dual track alternate sources of energy that is fine.

Biden was too dumb to understand long term policy implications of 1.9 trillion stimulus package, immigration policy, Afghanistan withdrawal, executive orders related to oil. It's a consistent pattern with him. And now despite inflation red lights flashing he wants 3.5 trillion more in government spending.
You have consistently said Biden reduced oil production when he came into office. He did not. You want to argue now about what you believe will happen in the future? You want to argue with me about what I believe will happen when trump loses in '24 but still claims he won? We just had a rehearsal on 1/6.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
They deal so much in theory. Usually don't think through the real world consequences. We saw/seeing this with the war on cops, border, energy policy, stimulus package/inflation, trying to create Bernies welfare state, "only raising taxes on corporations & wealthy".
Meanwhile, this entire response is nothing but theory, but go off, BF.

You have consistently said Biden reduced oil production when he came into office.
And he did. See his executive orders in first week or so. Court overturned some of it.

Why any president wouldn't want to have an energy friendly at this point in time is simply bizarre.

I'll take that as a "no". Don't blame you for trying with the old predictable goal post line. I don't know how one would even try to defend Biden policies.
I wouldn’t have to use the goalpost line if you didn’t quit moving then. When called to the table about policies, you moved them. Then you went on a rant about things that haven’t even happened. You save a seat at the table for every bogeyman send your way. Bah bah bah be the scared sheep you’re told to be.

I wouldn’t have to use the goalpost line if you didn’t quit moving then. When called to the table about policies, you moved them. Then you went on a rant about things that haven’t even happened. You save a seat at the table for every bogeyman send your way. Bah bah bah be the scared sheep you’re told to be.

Educate yourself. Don't take my word for it.

And he did. See his executive orders in first week or so. Court overturned some of it.

Why any president wouldn't want to have an energy friendly at this point in time is simply bizarre.
Then fcking post it. What's the problem?

Federal judges granted a preliminary injunction on his pause for new leases on federal land. Are you going to keep acting like this is a decision to decrease oil production? Or is a decrease in future oil production the same as a decrease in current oil production.

Energy friendly? You mean friendly to the oil companies? You mean keep digging holes wherever possible and ignore any consequences?

I don't know what "at this point" means. Whether you agree with it or not, Biden has been clear about addressing climate change. It's bizarre that you apparently haven't heard about it.

Federal judges granted a preliminary injunction on his pause for new leases on federal land. Are you going to keep acting like this is a decision to decrease oil production? Or is a decrease in future oil production the same as a decrease in current oil production.

Energy friendly? You mean friendly to the oil companies? You mean keep digging holes wherever possible and ignore any consequences?

I don't know what "at this point" means. Whether you agree with it or not, Biden has been clear about addressing climate change. It's bizarre that you apparently haven't heard about it.

Educate yourself. Don't take my word for it.

This article was already posted. It doesn’t address gas prices. At all. Which was what this thread was about. This article is about environmental policies. That’s fine and can be debated…. In another thread since this one is about gas prices. You’re just sitting here chasing your tail.

This article was already posted. It doesn’t address gas prices. At all. Which was what this thread was about. This article is about environmental policies. That’s fine and can be debated…. In another thread since this one is about gas prices. You’re just sitting here chasing your tail.
In the long term energy policy impacts oil prices. Really not a difficult concept to grasp for most. You are struggling with it, for whatever reason, no matter how many different articles one links.

Bob,
Do you drive an electric car?

Biden wants to switch from oil, gas and coal to windmills and solar panels with no nuclear power plants. He and his administration simply lack the scientific and engineering knowledge to understand that this cannot be done.
They are still looking for the root cause of the 400,000 illegal immigrants that came across the border in September. They need the root cause to determine what to do about the huge surge in illegals.
Um, finish the wall, keep the stay in Mexico order in place.
But the surge is all Trump's fault.
We were NOT energy independent during the final 2 years of the Trump adm. lol
So US oil production at $38 per barrel, was enough to keep a booming US economy going without the need to buy OPEC oil.
Now that oils is $78 per barrel these same companies can't find the means to double their income. lol.
And Biden begs OPEC to increase production to keep the current Covid slowed economy satisfied.

They are still looking for the root cause of the 400,000 illegal immigrants that came across the border in September. They need the root cause to determine what to do about the huge surge in illegals.
Um, finish the wall, keep the stay in Mexico order in place.
But the surge is all Trump's fault.
We were NOT energy independent during the final 2 years of the Trump adm. lol
So US oil production at $38 per barrel, was enough to keep a booming US economy going without the need to buy OPEC oil.
Now that oils is $78 per barrel these same companies can't find the means to double their income. lol.
And Biden begs OPEC to increase production to keep the current Covid slowed economy satisfied.
We imported almost as much oil as we exported in 2020.

Are we energy independent?

• Haha
  • Haha
In the long term energy policy impacts oil prices. Really not a difficult concept to grasp for most. You are struggling with it, for whatever reason, no matter how many different articles one links.
🎶moving the goalposts, moving the goalposts 🎶, sung to a jaunty tune.

I've seen this claim here a lot and have tried to verify it with no luck. It seems to be based on the January executive order that temporarily suspended new oil/gas leasing on federal lands and on the cancellation of the Keystone XL pipeline. However, neither of these policies would affect oil production in the short term:

1. Keystone XL pipeline extension had not been completed and, thus, was not moving any oil. It should also be noted that the existing Keystone pipeline is still functioning. It's only the XL extension on which construction was cancelled and, since only about 8% of it had been completed at the time of cancellation, it would've still been several years before it had any impact. Existing pipelines also appear to be able to handle increased volume even without the XL extension, and, oh yeah, Keystone brought in imported Canadian oil anyway, not US oil. SOURCE

2. The executive order was similarly forward-looking. It prevents NEW leases to drill on federal lands. All existing leases are still in effect and, in fact, the Biden administration is on pace (or at least they were as of July) to approve more new drilling permits (these are different than leases) this year than in any since GW Bush was president. SOURCE

"Because vast fossil fuel reserves already are under lease, those actions did nothing to slow drilling on public lands and waters that account for about a quarter of U.S. oil production."

3. Also noted in the above source, drilling on federal lands and waters makes up only about a quarter of US oil production. 75% of US oil production takes place on state or private land and has not been affected in any way by Biden administration policies regarding federal lands. If you include natural gas, production on federal lands is only about 9% of the total. SOURCE

"Holding back new drilling permits would gradually reduce production on federal land, since oil-and-gas wells pump less over time and companies have to drill new wells to sustain production.

But many companies have already obtained approvals to drill additional wells on U.S. lands, so they would be able to keep drilling for years, even if no additional permits are granted."

4. While US oil production is, in fact, down a bit in 2021 as compared to 2020, the total change in output is estimated to be about 160,000 barrels per day, or only about 1.5% less. The drop in production appears to be more the result of pandemic-related demand issues than any government policy. It's also expected to rise 650,000 bpd (about 5.8% compared to 2021) in 2022. SOURCE

While it's accurate to say that Biden's long-term goal is to reduce US oil production in combination with a move to renewable energy sources, it is not accurate to say his policies have affected oil production in 2021. Should the suspension of leases remain, then, yes, years down the road, there would be less production on federal lands as the currently-active wells dry up and there becomes no more room for new drilling on existing leases. It is, of course, perfectly valid to disagree with the long-term goal, but there seems to be no link between higher gas prices in 2021 and Biden administration policies regarding US oil production (rather, it seems increased demand and higher prices have spurred increased production as the year has gone on), unless there are other policies of which I'm unaware.

Edit: @BuilderBob6 German'd be by one minute...guess I should've typed faster 😂

If you are interesting on Biden's effect on oil and natural gas industry, you can read it here....

The Biden Administration's impact on oil and gas | Insights | DLA Piper Global Law Firm

Of course all you really need to do is check your natural gas bill, or fill up ar the pump.
7 year high prices!
Of course the President 7 years ago......Obama.
It's no coincidence these high prices occur under recent DEM rule. It is part of their carbon strategy. Trouble is the middle, lower class and especially retirees can't flat out afford their strategy.

What is funny here is the DEMs here and elsewhere bending over backward & turning somersaults trying to say Biden admin has nothing to do with the high energy prices.....when the proof is right at the pump, visible to all. LoL.

If you are interesting on Biden's effect on oil and natural gas industry, you can read it here....

The Biden Administration's impact on oil and gas | Insights | DLA Piper Global Law Firm

Of course all you really need to do is check your natural gas bill, or fill up ar the pump.
7 year high prices!
It's no coincidence these high prices occur under recent DEM rule. It is part of their carbon strategy. Trouble is the middle, lower class and especially retirees can't flat out afford their strategy.

What is funny here is the DEMs here and elsewhere bending over backward & turning somersaults trying to say Biden admin has nothing to do with the high energy prices.....when the proof is right at the pump, visible to all. LoL.
Interesting article. Even more interesting is that it doesn’t reference any kind of impact on energy prices. How about that.

7 year high prices!

Sounds like you need to take some personal responsibility and drive less.

You don't give a flying fack about facts.......and prove it everytime you post.

In 2020, the United States imported about 7.86 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from about 80 countries.
In 2020, the United States exported about 8.50 MMb/d of petroleum to about 174 countries and 4 U.S. territories.

That’s not what your post said. Just for your failing memory you posted; “we imported almost as much oil as we exported in 2020.“ Almost as much is less than what was imported in case your struggling with your grammar. That by addition and subtraction would make us energy independent per your question. Hope this helps you understand your post and question.

Copied from the rabid liberal NY Times Oct 4th:

HOUSTON — Americans are spending a dollar more for a gallon of gasoline than they were a year ago. Natural gas prices have shot up more than 150 percent over the same time, threatening to raise prices of food, chemicals, plastic goods and heat this winter.

The energy system is suddenly in crisis around the world as the cost of oil, natural gas and coal has climbed rapidly in recent months. In China, Britain and elsewhere, fuel shortages and panic buying have led to blackouts and long lines at filling stations.

The situation in the United States is not quite as dire, but oil and gasoline prices are high enough that President Biden has been calling on foreign producers to crank up supply. He is doing so as he simultaneously pushes Congress to address climate change by moving the country away from fossil fuels toward renewable energy and electric cars.

U.S. energy executives and the Wall Street bankers and investors who finance them are not doing anything to bolster production to levels that could bring down prices. The main U.S. oil price jumped nearly 3 percent on Monday, to about $78 a barrel, a seven-year high, after OPEC and its allies on Monday declined to significantly increase supply.
GD climate change scam is going to kill thousand and thousands of people.

Interesting article. Even more interesting is that it doesn’t reference any kind of impact on energy prices. How about that.

For those with low levels of understanding & deductive reasoning........just fill your gas tank and you perhaps you will start to comprehend all this. Good luck.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
For those with low levels of understanding & deductive reasoning........just fill your gas tank and you perhaps you will start to comprehend all this. Good luck.
You and your fellow dolts keep bleating that Biden policies are directly responsible for the rise in gas prices. When asked for proof of this, none of you have it. When called out for it, all you can say is “well look at what it costs to fill your tank now”. You guys suck at this.

ADVERTISEMENT