ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings / Cox / Jacobsen / Burgess / Benter all Signed!

Great class and glad everyone signed who committed. I have to give blockhead Painter credit. He has set us up with talent for years to come.

Next year will be down some due to Zach leaving and integrating the huge freshman class but the team should still be fun to watch.
The year after expectations should be another BIG title and final 4 with Smith/Loyer/Renn senior class and the freshman class now being experienced sophomores. Heide and Colvin will be battle tested juniors.

Still hope we can get Big dog's son but I don't know who would be leaving to avoid the scholarship limit? Maybe Berg or Furst with all potential 4/5's we will have on the team.

Great class and glad everyone signed who committed. I have to give blockhead Painter credit. He has set us up with talent for years to come.

Next year will be down some due to Zach leaving and integrating the huge freshman class but the team should still be fun to watch.
The year after expectations should be another BIG title and final 4 with Smith/Loyer/Renn senior class and the freshman class now being experienced sophomores. Heide and Colvin will be battle tested juniors.

Still hope we can get Big dog's son but I don't know who would be leaving to avoid the scholarship limit? Maybe Berg or Furst with all potential 4/5's we will have on the team.
Doesn't look like anyone needs to leave:

Hopefully, he's talking about Gi'Carri and that we are still in the mix!

Wow thats a crazy quote from Painter. Looking at the scholly grid, I see we would oversign by 1 if we took G. Currently have 5 spots for 5 recruits (Edey/Morton/Jones/Gillis leaving +1 open scholly). I don't know if rules have changed about oversign or Painter already plans to "Paint" one additional non-senior this year.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Wow thats a crazy quote from Painter. Looking at the scholly grid, I see we would oversign by 1 if we took G. Currently have 5 spots for 5 recruits (Edey/Morton/Jones/Gillis leaving +1 open scholly). I don't know if rules have changed about oversign or Painter already plans to "Paint" one additional non-senior this year.
Yeah no clue how it would work at all…I wish someone could explain haha. But either way we are still in the running for GiCarri so hopefully he wants to join the 2024 class.

Reactions: Schnelk

As cryptic as "Paint" can be, even for slow pokes like me, I'd say he was telegraphing his pass. :)

From Matt Painter in the linked article:

"We've got a bit of everything with this class and can still take one more player. We still need some help in our backcourt with what we are losing this year. We feel like if we can get one more guard that it will really help our case next season and moving forward. We're excited about this class and where we are going with our program. This is a class that has a lot of skill and high basketball IQ."

We shall see......

As cryptic as "Paint" can be, even for slow pokes like me, I'd say he was telegraphing his pass. :)

From Matt Painter in the linked article:

"We've got a bit of everything with this class and can still take one more player. We still need some help in our backcourt with what we are losing this year. We feel like if we can get one more guard that it will really help our case next season and moving forward. We're excited about this class and where we are going with our program. This is a class that has a lot of skill and high basketball IQ."

We shall see......
🤞

He clearly knows something we don't.

Is it possible a player may be leaving at the end of the first semester? Or plans on giving his scholarship up and Harris signs in the later signing period? Is it possible a player like Edey may play as a walkon? With his NIL money, he really doesn’t need a scholarship!

I haven't thought of this before, but with money to be made overseas, is it just possible that Berg goes back to Sweden and plays professionally now that he has grown his game in 2 years?

Is it possible a player may be leaving at the end of the first semester? Or plans on giving his scholarship up and Harris signs in the later signing period? Is it possible a player like Edey may play as a walkon? With his NIL money, he really doesn’t need a scholarship!
Edey is gone after this year unless he comes back for Covid year. However, he is being factored in as leaving after this year. I’m not sure if anyone has to leave…but I can’t say with certainty how we are able to over sign until someone can explain it.

I haven't thought of this before, but with money to be made overseas, is it just possible that Berg goes back to Sweden and plays professionally now that he has grown his game in 2 years?
Sure it’s always possible. But how would you guarantee that? What if he were to change his mind? Who knows though….I NEED ANSWERS!!!! 😂 😂

Like the rest of us, I'm hoping we get Harris. We are still in the running (likely in the lead) and Painter still wants him. Not sure how the scholarship numbers play out, but Painter will make it work. Do 1 of the guards in this class go to prep school instead of enrolling in Purdue? Is that an option to free up a scholly? Not sure how that would work if they already signed an NLI...

Reactions: Boiler Buck
So to be clear, in order for harris to sign, somebody currently on scholarship has to either willingly leave or willingly give back his scholarship and become a walkon. Right?

So to be clear, in order for harris to sign, somebody currently on scholarship has to either willingly leave or willingly give back his scholarship and become a walkon. Right?
I’m not sure how it works so I can’t say “no” at 100%, but according to the article, it says we can over sign still.

Reactions: Schnelk
Either painter is super dumb and can’t count or he is sneaky smart and has something up his sleeve. He had to know this and had a plan when giving out that last scholarship.

As for Edey could he come back as a walk on and use his Covid eligibility or would that only apply to athletes on scholarship?

I’m looking for loopholes

Either painter is super dumb and can’t count or he is sneaky smart and has something up his sleeve. He had to know this and had a plan when giving out that last scholarship.

As for Edey could he come back as a walk on and use his Covid eligibility or would that only apply to athletes on scholarship?

No, you're looking for a fantasy. Edey is not coming back.

Good questions Wol. To clarify, no one would need to leave prior to next season.

Matt can be over signed, he just needs it resolved before next fall. I don't know that he 'has anything up his sleeve' but some things will shake out this season and for a player that he wants as much as Harris he's willing to live with some uncertainty for the next six months or so, knowing that it may take care of itself (someone elects to leave) or he'll otherwise need to resolve.

Very much enjoying all the speculation/suggestions on how we could make it work and be over signed 😂

Good questions Wol. To clarify, no one would need to leave prior to next season.

Matt can be over signed, he just needs it resolved before next fall. I don't know that he 'has anything up his sleeve' but some things will shake out this season and for a player that he wants as much as Harris he's willing to live with some uncertainty for the next six months or so, knowing that it may take care of itself (someone elects to leave) or he'll otherwise need to resolve.
The problem as I see it isn't the number of scholarships. A nice sit down telling someone they aren't going to get minutes at Purdue would solve the over signing situation. Not every guy who had that conversation would leave but many would.

The problem is that we're already going to have a lot of guys back at the 2 and 3. I'm not sure a guy like Harris is good enough to come in and earn minutes from day one given the make-up of our roster but he's probably too good to accept that he's not going to get much time as a freshman.

At the one through three we'll have the following guys on the roster next year:
Smith
Loyer
Colvin
Heide
Catchings
Waddell
Cox
Benter

I think a guy like Harris would be confident he could beat out everyone other than the top 5 on the list for minutes but after that nothing would be guaranteed, In fact going into the season he might land 6th on the list and knowing Painter it's highly unlikely he would start or be the first guy off the bench.

The problem as I see it isn't the number of scholarships. A nice sit down telling someone they aren't going to get minutes at Purdue would solve the over signing situation. Not every guy who had that conversation would leave but many would.

The problem is that we're already going to have a lot of guys back at the 2 and 3. I'm not sure a guy like Harris is good enough to come in and earn minutes from day one given the make-up of our roster but he's probably too good to accept that he's not going to get much time as a freshman.

At the one through three we'll have the following guys on the roster next year:
Smith
Loyer
Colvin
Heide
Catchings
Waddell
Cox
Benter

I think a guy like Harris would be confident he could beat out everyone other than the top 5 on the list for minutes but after that nothing would be guaranteed, In fact going into the season he might land 6th on the list and knowing Painter it's highly unlikely he would start or be the first guy off the bench.
I would think Harris would be backing up Braden at the 1 his first year. Then possibly being a third starting guard the following year in 2025 (assuming Colvin and Catchings head to NBA).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT