ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings / Cox / Jacobsen / Burgess / Benter all Signed!

I’m not convinced we’ve got him. His comments recently about GT seem like they have a lot of draw to him. Close to home, family (mom wants him to go there) friends, and he really seems to like what Stoudamire brings to the table; professional ties and successful NBA playing experience as a guard and coaching experience. I believe he’s really torn and that’s been the delay in his commitment. Purdue brings the bigger stage but less personal intangibles… we’ll soon see!
What is it that makes someone think a coach that played and maybe coached in the NBA is best for a player that wants to play in the NBA? Some think Bob Knight was a great coach, but he was a sub for Ohio State. Some think Gene Keady was a great coach, but he also didn't play in the NBA and was a football player that started coaching in high school. John Wooden has been held as a great coach and he never played in the NBA or coached there. Did Hank Iba play in the NBA? What about Mike Krzyzewski...no NBA experience either. Bill Self...NADA I believe. Sure Jerry Tarkanian was in the NBA...NO, what is going on here? Dean Smith...look at the players he put in the NBA, but he never coached there either. I know...Roy Williams,,,surely he coached or played in the NBA. No? This is not making any sense. Bo Ryan started out in high school as did John Belein. John got his coaching fame in College and only after coached a short time in the NBA. Tony Hinkle didn't coach or play in the NBA. I could go on, but there were a lot of wins and successful seasons by the previously mentioned coaches and so where does this notion that a person that coached in the NBA is a ticket to success in college and getting players to the NBA?

None of this is aimed at you...I just don't understand the weight any of that would carry with well informed families and/or players

I’m not convinced we’ve got him. His comments recently about GT seem like they have a lot of draw to him. Close to home, family (mom wants him to go there) friends, and he really seems to like what Stoudamire brings to the table; professional ties and successful NBA playing experience as a guard and coaching experience. I believe he’s really torn and that’s been the delay in his commitment. Purdue brings the bigger stage but less personal intangibles… we’ll soon see!
I certainly have no clue. Just prefer to remain optimistic until there's a real reason not too. I'm happier that way. :) I'm also confident that if somewhere else is best for him, our plan B next year will have it's own positives. Really need another young pg in there soon.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
What is it that makes someone think a coach that played and maybe coached in the NBA is best for a player that wants to play in the NBA? Some think Bob Knight was a great coach, but he was a sub for Ohio State. Some think Gene Keady was a great coach, but he also didn't play in the NBA and was a football player that started coaching in high school. John Wooden has been held as a great coach and he never played in the NBA or coached there. Did Hank Iba play in the NBA? What about Mike Krzyzewski...no NBA experience either. Bill Self...NADA I believe. Sure Jerry Tarkanian was in the NBA...NO, what is going on here? Dean Smith...look at the players he put in the NBA, but he never coached there either. I know...Roy Williams,,,surely he coached or played in the NBA. No? This is not making any sense. Bo Ryan started out in high school as did John Belein. John got his coaching fame in College and only after coached a short time in the NBA. Tony Hinkle didn't coach or play in the NBA. I could go on, but there were a lot of wins and successful seasons by the previously mentioned coaches and so where does this notion that a person that coached in the NBA is a ticket to success in college and getting players to the NBA?

None of this is aimed at you...I just don't understand the weight any of that would carry with well informed families and/or players
Lol, his words and inferences not mine.

That was interesting information in your long narrative above though. I will say that Stoudamire was a talented guard in his playing days. He then went on to get coaching experience. I could see how a player who desires to play the same position at the next level might think there could be benefits in playing for/learning from someone with his background.
Is that worth passing up playing for Painter and the Boilers on a more prominent bigger stage? We likely don’t think so but we are not who matters or the ones making that decision based or what we believe.

Lol, his words and inferences not mine.

That was interesting information in your long narrative above though. I will say that Stoudamire was a talented guard in his playing days. He then went on to get coaching experience. I could see how a player who desires to play the same position at the next level might think there could be benefits in playing for/learning from someone with his background.
Is that worth passing up playing for Painter and the Boilers on a more prominent bigger stage? We likely don’t think so but we are not who matters or the ones making that decision based or what we believe.
At the very bottom of what I wrote I said NONE of this was aimed towards you and so I was very clear that my comments were NOT directed to you and so your first sentence is misdirected. That said, "people"...some at least do feel that is important. Not just fans, but players or parents in some cases feel it is important. However, where is the empirical evidence that their feelings are correct?

I gave countless examples of coaches that had success in many positions for the players as well as many players playing after college for those non NBA coaches. Where is the evidence I'm wrong? There is none, but that doesn't stop some from feeling instead of thinking that he or she or the parents should commit to a previous NBA player or NBA coach. A lot of the really good coaches were NOT the best players in college and so they had to learn the game rather than rely on talent.

At the very bottom of what I wrote I said NONE of this was aimed towards you and so I was very clear that my comments were NOT directed to you and so your first sentence is misdirected. That said, "people"...some at least do feel that is important. Not just fans, but players or parents in some cases feel it is important. However, where is the empirical evidence that their feelings are correct?

I gave countless examples of coaches that had success in many positions for the players as well as many players playing after college for those non NBA coaches. Where is the evidence I'm wrong? There is none, but that doesn't stop some from feeling instead of thinking that he or she or the parents should commit to a previous NBA player or NBA coach. A lot of the really good coaches were NOT the best players in college and so they had to learn the game rather than rely on talent.
Relax all good! Boiler up! Hammer down! 🖤💛🏀

Reactions: tjreese
Relax all good! Boiler up! Hammer down! 🖤💛🏀
I was always good. I was trying to clarify what was a misunderstanding. For the life of me I have difficulty reconciling "why" an NBA background carries weight with some families and players. Inside every family with more than one sibling, the different siblings will have different accomplishments all under as similar environment as possible and so "getting there" has mostly to do with the individual player's work ethic and innate physical abilities. A coach can improve the player and that can be seen in growth while in college and yes, not all coaches are equally effective. So, none of this is aimed at you either. I'm just a bit puzzled in those that used the words you previously repeated unless they are just blowing smoke

On the flip side, I can't think of any examples where a former NBA star excelled at developing players and getting them to the pros. Isaiah Thomas was a perrineal NBA all-star but failed at ever level of coaching.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
On the flip side, I can't think of any examples where a former NBA star excelled at developing players and getting them to the pros. Isaiah Thomas was a perrineal NBA all-star but failed at ever level of coaching.
the flip side of the same coin as you state

Ok just to stir things up. If Harris comes to Purdue and he’s as awesome as all you posters say he is and miles is as awesome as all you posters say he is and Catchings is as awesome as all you posters say he is and Heide is as awesome as all you posters say he is and Loyer and smith are as awesome as all you guys say they are, who starts in our back court next year? And who sits on the bench. And please please please don’t say one of these really v awesome players is going to redshirt because there is just not enough playing time. I believe Catchings will play the 3 because it’s not going to be Tkr! So which one of these other awesome players is going to start? Miles? Smith? Harris? Loyer? It’s an awesome situation. But like last year and the year before a player you all hyped as being awesome will transfer.

And yes i predicted Edey may take a more supporting role much like Haas did to Carsen.

And yes I did predict that a super hyped player like tkr would transfer if he didn’t get more playing time and become a bigger factor in our offense. I never said Edey wouldn’t start! There is a difference between taking a more supporting role and not starting. I still believe if one of our back court players stepped up like ivey did, that Edey would take a more supportive role! I also believe Purdue would be a better team if we didn’t have our offense always revolve around our center!

And as for who transfers, I doubt Waddell gets any playing time this year, but I doubt he would transfer. My money on who would transfer is tkr! I can’t see him staying if he doesn’t receive a more prominent role this year. Much like wheeler, and palambizio, his game just doesn’t seem to match what painter wants from him. Tkr is not a center. Can he be a productive 4? If so, why did we recruit Jacobson and burgess ? In the past I had said his road to success at Purdue would be at the 3. I said that only because I don’t believe he would be effective as a center and we had other players like Furst and Gillis at the 4. But painter would rather have a guard play the 3 than have a small forward play the 3. Tkr just seems like a man without a position. And if you were to pick someone who plans to leave, to me it would be tkr. Unless berg has already informed painter he’s going back home to play in Europe!

Ok just to stir things up. If Harris comes to Purdue and he’s as awesome as all you posters say he is and miles is as awesome as all you posters say he is and Catchings is as awesome as all you posters say he is and Heide is as awesome as all you posters say he is and Loyer and smith are as awesome as all you guys say they are, who starts in our back court next year? And who sits on the bench. And please please please don’t say one of these really v awesome players is going to redshirt because there is just not enough playing time. I believe Catchings will play the 3 because it’s not going to be Tkr! So which one of these other awesome players is going to start? Miles? Smith? Harris? Loyer? It’s an awesome situation. But like last year and the year before a player you all hyped as being awesome will transfer.

And yes i predicted Edey may take a more supporting role much like Haas did to Carsen.

And yes I did predict that a super hyped player like tkr would transfer if he didn’t get more playing time and become a bigger factor in our offense. I never said Edey wouldn’t start! There is a difference between taking a more supporting role and not starting. I still believe if one of our back court players stepped up like ivey did, that Edey would take a more supportive role! I also believe Purdue would be a better team if we didn’t have our offense always revolve around our center!

And as for who transfers, I doubt Waddell gets any playing time this year, but I doubt he would transfer. My money on who would transfer is tkr! I can’t see him staying if he doesn’t receive a more prominent role this year. Much like wheeler, and palambizio, his game just doesn’t seem to match what painter wants from him. Tkr is not a center. Can he be a productive 4? If so, why did we recruit Jacobson and burgess ? In the past I had said his road to success at Purdue would be at the 3. I said that only because I don’t believe he would be effective as a center and we had other players like Furst and Gillis at the 4. But painter would rather have a guard play the 3 than have a small forward play the 3. Tkr just seems like a man without a position. And if you were to pick someone who plans to leave, to me it would be tkr. Unless berg has already informed painter he’s going back home to play in Europe!
Palombizio?? Geezus Wole that was 1981. What does that have anything to do with CMP and the Boilers now?

It's Myles, not miles.

With NIL and the new transfer rules it has changed how you recruit. Just get as much talent as you can and it will sort itself out. Yes, if Harris comes we will have someone leave and maybe more than one. So what? Why do we care if someone leaves? You act like someone transferring is a big deal. It isn't. There was a time where it meant something, but not anymore.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

bless your heart

Nope, pre-season last year you said Trey would be starting over Zach at some point in the season. Complete revisionist history, your claim had nothing to do with a back court player stepping up, you just said Trey would be better.

BTW,
1) Myles
2) Who has transferred that was hyped up?
3) Utter nonsense on Trey transferring when he’s likely to be featured when Zach leaves
4) Beyond utter nonsense that recruiting Jacobsen and Burgess is an indictment of Trey at the four.

I do like that you’re more actively posting and I hope you don’t take me calling you on your bullshit personally.

It's Myles, not miles.

With NIL and the new transfer rules it has changed how you recruit. Just get as much talent as you can and it will sort itself out. Yes, if Harris comes we will have someone leave and maybe more than one. So what? Why do we care if someone leaves? You act like someone transferring is a big deal. It isn't. There was a time where it meant something, but not anymore.
It will be interesting to see if MP plays six guys at the 1 through 3 this season as he said in an interview last week that he’s going to try to. If so you just swap in Catchings and Harris for Morton and Jones.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
It will be interesting to see if MP plays six guys at the 1 through 3 this season as he said in an interview last week that he’s going to try to. If so you just swap in Catchings and Harris for Morton and Jones.
That could be one outcome for sure and would be great if it happens.

My point was mainly that the way you recruit and the number of moving pieces has changed forever (or as long as we have the current rules). Just get as much talent as you can and it will sort itself out. The best players will play and the others will adapt or they will leave. Wole was acting like it is some sort of a disaster if someone leaves. I don't look at it that way at all. I have no issue with Newman at all, but is anyone missing him on this team this year? I'm sure not. Would you give up Myles or Cam to have him back? Transfers out of your program is not the same as it was before these new rules.

That could be one outcome for sure and would be great if it happens.

My point was mainly that the way you recruit and the number of moving pieces has changed forever (or as long as we have the current rules). Just get as much talent as you can and it will sort itself out. The best players will play and the others will adapt or they will leave. Wole was acting like it is some sort of a disaster if someone leaves. I don't look at it that way at all. I have no issue with Newman at all, but is anyone missing him on this team this year? I'm sure not. Would you give up Myles or Cam to have him back? Transfers out of your program is not the same as it was before these new rules.
Agree. I'd add that part of the HC's job now is managing who you prioritize to keep and who you let go or manage out. I don't have facts to back it up but there are a bunch of signs that point to Trey having been a transfer risk after last season and MP making it a priority to keep him.

I have no idea if MP will play ten guys (six at the 1-3) this year or not. I don't think he does either, he joked in the interview that he often says he will and then falls back into an 8 or 9 man rotation.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Nope, pre-season last year you said Trey would be starting over Zach at some point in the season. Complete revisionist history, your claim had nothing to do with a back court player stepping up, you just said Trey would be better.

BTW,
1) Myles
2) Who has transferred that was hyped up?
3) Utter nonsense on Trey transferring when he’s likely to be featured when Zach leaves
4) Beyond utter nonsense that recruiting Jacobsen and Burgess is an indictment of Trey at the four.

I do like that you’re more actively posting and I hope you don’t take me calling you on your bullshit personally.
Yeah but what about his Dan Palambazio analogy?

Yeah but what about his Dan Palambazio analogy?

BIZIOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

star-trek-the-wrath-of-khan-star-trek2.gif

Waddell already has gotten playing time. Not much but still.

I speculate that Gillis transfers out Next year. He has his degree and is slowly losing his spot to younger, more talented guys. If he does, I wish him the best of luck, and thank him for his time here.

Reactions: Schnelk
I speculate that Gillis transfers out Next year. He has his degree and is slowly losing his spot to younger, more talented guys. If he does, I wish him the best of luck, and thank him for his time here.
Gillis is already factored in as leaving - ie his scholarship is already taken by one of the 5 signees. An underclassman would have to transfer to make room for a 6th signee in this class.

You should try watching the game with your eyes open.
You will NOT see another guy outworking Mason.
The energy he spends getting back quickly, playing team defense, helping others, chucking the opponents big man when they cross, etc etc
He's one of the most valuable players that many fans can't see because it aint' all about scoring......
Gotta have a CLUE man ;)

Reactions: Russ Ford
The energy he spends getting back quickly, playing team defense, helping others, chucking the opponents big man when they cross, etc etc
He's one of the most valuable players that many fans can't see because it aint' all about scoring......
Gotta have a CLUE man ;)
I don't disagree with anything you're saying but I just don't see Mason coming back to Purdue for a sixth year. I expect he'll either hang it up and get on with his life or try to land an NIL deal somewhere else.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying but I just don't see Mason coming back to Purdue for a sixth year. I expect he'll either hang it up and get on with his life or try to land an NIL deal somewhere else.
Agreed! MG is a very valuable piece to this team, but definitely isn't back next year. All scholarships have been filled.

Gotta have a CLUE man ;)
I think you misread my intent. I love Mason. I just think it will be him that moves on next year, and he has told Painter that. Hence, we have an extra scholar to offer. It’s just my spider sense, not any kind of knock on Mason.

:cool:

I think you misread my intent. I love Mason. I just think it will be him that moves on next year, and he has told Painter that. Hence, we have an extra scholar to offer. It’s just my spider sense, not any kind of knock on Mason.

No extra scholarship. His is already taken.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

He’s a senior! He’s not coming back, none of them are coming back for a Covid year. Painter had that discussion pre-season.

Reactions: oldboiler52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT