ADVERTISEMENT

Bye Little Archie

I think it will be another mid-major coach.
iu

Beard's wife is from Texas and her entire family is there. I don't see him leaving that state.

I know Scot Drew has been a popular name too, but I believe his contract at Baylor is fully guaranteed and it automatically extends every time he makes the NCAA tournament, so it would take some serious money to get him out of Baylor.
The Drew family is as close geographically now as they have been since Scott left Valpo for the Baylor job...Bryce is at GCU, his brother-in-law is one of his assistants, and, Homer/Janet are there as well. So for all of these national pundits waxing about a homecoming by Scott returning to the state, they apparently fail to recognize that for the first time in a very long time, they are all finally back together as a family, and, I have to think that matters...I know it matters way more than Scott returning to the state of Indiana simply because he was born and raised here.

Bryce left a great situation for a "better opportunity" at Vanderbilt...did not turn out well at all...have to think that is a consideration also.

Finally, the fact that Bob Knight did not like Scott...as ridiculous as it is, that matters to people at IU.

That is funny in that it is almost verbatim what I had said last night in discussing the matter with family.

Who has $10m just lying around? And, if so, it can hardly be considered a philanthropic gesture if they had $10m lying around and rather than truly use it for something philanthropic they instead reached out to IU to let them know that they wanted the basketball HC fired so much that they would pay for it...at the cost of $10m?

Even for the very wealthy, $10m is not a drop in the bucket...regardless, to think that this is the best thing that they could do with it is a great example of why IU basketball is the fiasco that it is presently.

If I had to guess one name, I’d say Chris Beard. He’s a good coach and Knight disciple who I think would take the job.

Why leave an established program that you helped build that will never fire you for a program in disarray that fires a coach every 4 years?

The idea that an established elite coach would leave his safe already strong well paid program to try to put out a dumpster fire is hilarious.

That is not a shot at you. It is a shot at IU fans fantasizing that they are still a big deal.

Last edited:
Its kinda like waiting for Dinosaurs to reappear! If they were smart they would let their Lady coach coach them, at least she is a Purdue Grad!

Reactions: Schnelk
How fitting that yesterday was the Ides of March. Arch getting the dagger from Dolson.

Maybe they go the Purdue route again and hire Cuonzo.

That is funny in that it is almost verbatim what I had said last night in discussing the matter with family.

Who has $10m just lying around? And, if so, it can hardly be considered a philanthropic gesture if they had $10m lying around and rather than truly use it for something philanthropic they instead reached out to IU to let them know that they wanted the basketball HC fired so much that they would pay for it...at the cost of $10m?

Even for the very wealthy, $10m is not a drop in the bucket...regardless, to think that this is the best thing that they could do with it is a great example of why IU basketball is the fiasco that it is presently.

to a billionaire, 10mil isn't much. That's 1%. If people are dumb enough to spend $70mil on digital artwork, surely some dip$hit wealthy iu fan is willing fund a bball coach buyout.

Reactions: Schnelk
to a billionaire, 10mil isn't much. That's 1%. If people are dumb enough to spend $70mil on digital artwork, surely some dip$hit wealthy iu fan is willing fund a bball coach buyout.
Spot on in that I too said it would have to be essentially a billionaire, but, that being the case, how many IU billionaires are just hanging around out there that are unknown...more so if they are willing to drop $10m to fire Archie? That is someone not only making poor decisions seemingly (which makes one wonder how they are a billionaire to begin with), but, someone who if involved at that level, is not someone just anonymous on the periphery either likely.

Spot on in that I too said it would have to be essentially a billionaire, but, that being the case, how many IU billionaires are just hanging around out there that are unknown...more so if they are willing to drop $10m to fire Archie? That is someone not only making poor decisions seemingly (which makes one wonder how they are a billionaire to begin with), but, someone who if involved at that level, is not someone just anonymous on the periphery either likely.

Lucky for IU they have at least one such billionaire alum. There is a reason that the character Russ Hanneman in Silicon Valley on HBO was based on Cubes.

Doesn't mean the new coach hasn't been chosen. Might be a show of respect to the new coaches current situation.
Agree...I think the new coach has been chosen, just not announced. I assume that is due to their current coaching situation.

Agree...I think the new coach has been chosen, just not announced. I assume that is due to their current coaching situation.
Wouldn’t they have to ask permission from the school that said coach was working for first? I would assume that something like that would be shot down if their team was in the tournament. I don’t think the school would want the distraction.

This is the first line of the article where Dolsen talks about the search.

“Scott Dolson went out of his way to say that he hasn’t already picked his next coach and that no one else has picked it for him.”

He could be lying but it appears to me that he hasn’t found the new coach yet.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

“Scott Dolson went out of his way to say that he hasn’t already picked his next coach and that no one else has picked it for him.”

Well of course he hasn't. He's waiting to see who applies. When it's everyone's dream job, you don't go try to get them, they came to you.

Wouldn’t they have to ask permission from the school that said coach was working for first? I would assume that something like that would be shot down if their team was in the tournament. I don’t think the school would want the distraction.
I don’t think so because this is all through back channels - IMO. Whoever Dolson has in mind is because he contacted an intermediary to get a pulse check. He knows what he can spend and he has to deliver.

Reactions: Poprudy
IU’s reps could in theory reach out to another coach’s reps. That wouldn’t technically be them communicating directly.

This is done in recruiting pretty frequently.

Reactions: Indy_Rider

He better not mess this up because there will be a separate “charity fund” raised to pay his unemployment benefits

He is either lying, or, he is as big a clown as his predecessor...and, many that surround him.

I would be completely shocked if Archie were fired without a successor already known...that is what happened with Crean and led to them settling on Archie the last time this happened.

No way he fires Archie without already knowing who the successor is.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don't know that permission must be sought and/or granted...not aware of any requirement of such.

Regardless, very easy to conduct everything behind the scenes.

I would think if a school was asked permission and declined, there could be ramifications of that from the Coach.

He is either lying, or, he is as big a clown as his predecessor...and, many that surround him.

I would be completely shocked if Archie were fired without a successor already known...that is what happened with Crean and led to them settling on Archie the last time this happened.

No way he fires Archie without already knowing who the successor is.
That may be true but he went out of his way to make it clear that the new coach had yet to be chosen. I tend to believe along the lines that he feels having all of the tourney coaches in state that they would come running asking to be the new coach at IU. That would fit the IU mentality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT