ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Week thread

Houston looks damn good. We may have the best resume and are deserving of the #1 overall, but we are the 3rd best team right now.

They have blitzed Texas Tech in this game twice.....jumped on them early.....TT closed at the half.....then 38-14 run to open the second half. They get the winner of Baylor/Iowa State tomorrow evening - that could be epic, especially if it's the Cyclones. Bring your hard hat, folks!

IU winning today (which I think they will) should not move them into any consideration. Beating PSU (86 NET) shouldn't have done anything. If they beat Nebraska (#39 NET) we're saying that moves the needle? I don't think so, I think they would need to beat OSU/IL before they would even be in the discussion for a chance.
They are currently #94 in the NET. That would be unprecedented territory for a dance ticket.
was ironic that the supposed BIG10 D player of the year didn't box out Leal on the last shot

they talk about our games being a foul fest, that game was a foul fest bigtime

All three QF's have been extremely physical. It's like after the regular season, the officials got together and just decided......

Ok, now it's GO time; we're taking it up a notch!

46e19a01-dfa5-44be-bbfc-231e5adf8c99_text.gif

Houston looks damn good. We may have the best resume and are deserving of the #1 overall, but we are the 3rd best team right now.
Announcers of the game said if Houston wins the BXII championship then they are the overall number one.

Announcers of the game said if Houston wins the BXII championship then they are the overall number one.

Can see that - Big XII is deeper - Houston also has the most Q1 wins.....they've been impressive. IF (and it's a big IF) Purdue were to win out and beat Illinois a 3rd time, they'd have a pretty good case, too.

Usually they have the brackets set before the BTT final except if an auto-qualifier making a difference.

It's been a little while that I can remember when you had three teams like this and could make a good case for all of them being the top overall seed.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
IU winning today (which I think they will) should not move them into any consideration. Beating PSU (86 NET) shouldn't have done anything. If they beat Nebraska (#39 NET) we're saying that moves the needle? I don't think so, I think they would need to beat OSU/IL before they would even be in the discussion for a chance.
They are currently #94 in the NET. That would be unprecedented territory for a dance ticket.
I know you guys say you hate them and all … but man, I don’t know if it’s the instate thing where you’re more familiar with them or something but WHY did you think they’d win?? Somehow your fan base simultaneously hates them AND props them up to be more relevant than they are.

IU is bad, period, and Nebraska is actually good!

I know you guys say you hate them and all … but man, I don’t know if it’s the instate thing where you’re more familiar with them or something but WHY did you think they’d win?? Somehow your fan base simultaneously hates them AND props them up to be more relevant than they are.

I think too many here bought into the Woody "we're playing as good as anybody in the country right now" BS.

#1. I don't trust Neb away from home.

#2. It's pretty easy to question someone else's pick after the game has been decided. Where were you BEFORE the game?

#3. Neb was only -5.5 so not like they were a huge favorite....

#4. How am I "propping them up"? I'm the one saying they have no business even being discussed for the dance.

Weird take by you.

I still say that bonefish's crush looks like he should be a student manager and not the coach.

Top two seeds in SEC Tournament get bounced - Tennessee to Mississippi State and Kentucky to Texas A & M. And out West, Arizona flames out in the Pac-12. A prelude to next week?

You think we have free throw problems every now and then? How about Virginia? Almost blew last night's game because of it and are about to blow tonight's. Beekman missed 3 out of 4 late, and an 87% FT shooter missed the front end to ice it in regulation. Then they didn't foul up 3 and gave up a crazy banked 3 to send it to OT.

You think we have free throw problems every now and then? How about Virginia? Almost blew last night's game because of it and are about to blow tonight's. Beekman missed 3 out of 4 late, and an 87% FT shooter missed the front end to ice it in regulation. Then they didn't foul up 3 and gave up a crazy banked 3 to send it to OT.
I want to see Edey vs DJ Burns

Agree. I think UConn and Houston have separated themselves a bit. I think Purdue still has best resume (11 Kenpom top 20 wins), but they aren't dominating teams anymore like Houston and UConn do.

Does anyone think the B1G 10 might be a little better than its given credit for though? Maybe that's part of the reason Purdue has been in some closer ones too. Just the eye test, but I'm not overwhelmed by many of these other conference games. I think the B1G 12 and B1G East might be a bit overrated. The ACC is terrible other than UNC. The SEC has great depth, but a ton of inconsistency from their top teams. Overall not much separation and should be a fun March.

Big East Championship - Connecticut/Marquette - top seed and #3-seed for this tournament

Big XII Championship - Houston/Iowa State - two tournament top seeds

Will there be any intrigue?

Connecticut had two rather convincing wins in the regular season...hard to think Marquette can overcome the matchups, especially without Kolek. Good news is that he should be back for the NCAA Tournament.

Houston/Iowa State could be a good one - they split during the regular season, and this game will have some defense. A Houston win, and I think they'll be the #1 overall seed next week, but we shall see.

Big East Championship - Connecticut/Marquette - top seed and #3-seed for this tournament

Big XII Championship - Houston/Iowa State - two tournament top seeds

Will there be any intrigue?

Connecticut had two rather convincing wins in the regular season...hard to think Marquette can overcome the matchups, especially without Kolek. Good news is that he should be back for the NCAA Tournament.

Houston/Iowa State could be a good one - they split during the regular season, and this game will have some defense. A Houston win, and I think they'll be the #1 overall seed next week, but we shall see.
today is the Mountain West Champ, one of my sleepers in the Big Dance ( New Mex) is playing SDSU

There are 18 tournaments still playing. Only 9 of them still have their #1 seed playing. And 4 of those are the presumptive #1 seeds in the tournament.
Yeah, a lot of upsets this year. Don't look now, but #5 seed St. Peter's is back in the final of their conference tournament. One can only hope they wouldn't put them in our bracket again.

Yeah, a lot of upsets this year. Don't look now, but #5 seed St. Peter's is back in the final of their conference tournament. One can only hope they wouldn't put them in our bracket again.
With USF down big in the 2nd half, 3 more #1s are losing in semi-finals today. Princeton is quite the shocker.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I'm guessing Purdue gets either Iowa State or Tennessee as the #2-seed in its region. Boilers will have to play much better to even see that foe, but IF they met up - better be loaded for bear.

They are capable but need a reset and a fresh mind/focus.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
30-23 at the half....Iowa State up on Houston in the Big XII Championship.....Cyclones have the larger crowd contingent it seems.

How could that be? We were told today by "fans" the other #1 seeds were blowing out there competition.

Welp - it's 40-23 now as Iowa State has opened the second half on a 10-0 run. These two teams had played two close/fierce battles. Houston is capable of making a run with its defense, though. This result (IF it plays out) could open things up for Connecticut as the overall #1 perhaps.

Candidly, I will say that to me Houston and Connecticut had been playing slightly better than Purdue lately......some of that is being stuck in the Big Ten quagmire.

I really just want to see how focused Purdue comes out next week. Reserving judgment and no expectations.....haha.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Welp - it's 40-23 now as Iowa State has opened the second half on a 10-0 run. These two teams had played two close/fierce battles. Houston is capable of making a run with its defense, though. This result (IF it plays out) could open things up for Connecticut as the overall #1 perhaps.

Candidly, I will say that to me Houston and Connecticut had been playing slightly better than Purdue lately......some of that is being stuck in the Big Ten quagmire.

I really just want to see how focused Purdue comes out next week. Reserving judgment and no expectations.....haha.
Yep, B1G stinks. Been saying it all year. Quagmire, is being kind.

Houston has gone over 9:00 without a FG

Finally scored one on a put-back dunk.....didn't see this one being a rout.

That drought reminded me of that Purdue game in the BTT against Minnesota in 2010......it was something like 31-4, and Purdue would have had a better chance of kicking one in.

Reactions: Dryfly88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT