ADVERTISEMENT

Butler v. Purdue Game Thread (Crossroads Classic 2021)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Today, it's the 11th and last rendition of the Crossroads Classic for Purdue, as the Boilermakers (9-1, ranked #3) take on the Butler Bulldogs (7-3, unranked) in Gainbridge Fieldhouse (formerly Bankers Life) in Indianapolis. Tip-off scheduled for 12:00 noon (Eastern) with television coverage on FOX. Purdue is 3-7 in this event but has won three of its last five after dropping the first five editions. Butler is 6-4 in the Crossroads Classic and 4-1 against Purdue, with the Boilers' lone victory coming in 2017. Butler has won four straight and will be facing its second ranked opponent (having lost to Houston earlier this season), although they did play Michigan State who was unranked at the time and now ranked 12th.

Purdue is led by senior Trevion Williams and sophomore Jaden Ivey. Big Tre Williams is averaging 14.2 points and 9.3 rebounds, and Jaden Ivey is putting up 16.4 points and 5.4 rebounds per game. Butler is led by Chuck Harris and Jair Bolden. Harris has averaged 10.4 points, and Bolden has put up 11.4 points per game.

Purdue is a decided favorite in this game, but outside of a couple of instances, the Boilers have really struggled this time of year and particularly in this event, which often feels like a road game. The Bulldogs aren't as talented as the Boilers, but Butler has some advantages. Butler is holding opponents to just 28.0 percent three-point shooting this season, and the Bulldogs are securing more than 77 percent of available defensive rebounds. Butler is also above-average in preventing free throw attempts on defense and creating them on offense. Purdue leads the country in adjusted offensive efficiency and scores 87.4 points per game, good for third. The Boilers rank in the top ten in offensive rebound rate (38.8 percent), two-point shooting (59.2 percent) and three-point shooting (40.3 percent), with a top-20 mark in free throw creation.

Purdue's offense is as balanced and efficient as it's been in many years, especially when the long-range shooting is on.....in the recent stretch where the Boilers have struggled, it's been poor decision making and inconsistency on the defensive end that's held them back. I'll be interested to see how they play today, especially defensively, where some breakdowns have lingered. On offense, I expect they'll try to establish Zach Edey a little early on to get him a little more in rhythm - he's been held somewhat in check as of late. Ethan Morton's minutes have been up as well - we'll see if that continues and if Brandon Newman can get untracked.

From Coach Matt Painter - "We know it's going to be physical; we know it's going to be tough......They have guards that can dribble, make plays....they've got guards that can make plays defensively." "They've got a lot of pieces, and it seems like it's a different guy every night."

On
what he wants from his team "just having better focus, being sharper.....running our stuff and really being detailed across the board." "Just trying to be better at what we do more than anything."

Can the Boilers put forth a better/more focused performance today and regain a little more momentum for the rest of December before conference play heats back up in the new calendar year? It would be fitting and a great way to end the Crossroads.......we shall see shortly.

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT