ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm leaves if....

Chitownboiler15

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2018
I’ve been reading more and more articles about the possibility of Louisville abandoning Petrino and going all in on Brohm as early as mid-year.

If this happens, are we 100% sure he leaves for Louisville? Is there a point of no return for Jeff, say at the end of year 3, where he won’t leave even if Louisville does offer due to recruiting? Does Louisville have the money to pay Petrino’s remaining contract, buyout Brohm, and still give him a salary?

The new G&B days also tweaked me out when they spent a third of the show talking about how much Louisville means to the Brohms.

With all that being said, I hope to god Louisville wins a national championship and Petrino becomes indispensable.....

Absolutely right. I’m definitely still stuck in old school culture. Let’s say this is the last thing that is holding back from full blown, new culture savage as I love every single thing this man has brought to the school. Probably the reason why I’m worrying so much...

Reactions: jam55
Absolutely right. I’m definitely still stuck in old school culture. Let’s say this is the last thing that is holding back from full blown, new culture savage as I love every single thing this man has brought to the school. Probably the reason why I’m worrying so much...
Come join the new culture we even have some swag..
Louisville Athletics is a mess and Petrine has a monster contract through 2023.
Purdue is the better job and it’s not really close...

I’ve been reading more and more articles about the possibility of Louisville abandoning Petrino and going all in on Brohm as early as mid-year.

If this happens, are we 100% sure he leaves for Louisville? Is there a point of no return for Jeff, say at the end of year 3, where he won’t leave even if Louisville does offer due to recruiting? Does Louisville have the money to pay Petrino’s remaining contract, buyout Brohm, and still give him a salary?

The new G&B days also tweaked me out when they spent a third of the show talking about how much Louisville means to the Brohms.

With all that being said, I hope to god Louisville wins a national championship and Petrino becomes indispensable.....
You have a smell about you!! Like IU S*^T

I’m tired of these threads. Brohm likes what he has at Purdue and so does his family. Purdue is a better job, is in a better league and Purdue’s in the BIG West, has a better AD, better facilities, and better academics to sell.

Louisville is a literal train wreck right now. The athletic department is in shambles. Petrino is signed through 2023. Brohm isn’t going to Louisville anytime soon, if ever.

Get that defeatist attitude out of your head.

Let's see - guy creates a Purdue message board handle and his first post is about reading all sorts of articles (without linking any of them) about Brohm leaving. Pretty obvious the fans of the other B1G schools sure are fearful of what Brohm is building here.

I live in Louisville. I have a lot of UL and UK friends, and I have not heard anything about Petrino leaving Louisville from any of them. I have not heard that from local news sources either.

Well if he were to leave someday we could hire the second most successful living ex Ben Davis football coach...

Which would be one spot above IU.

As much as I hate to say it, if the Louisville job opens, he will take it. I truly believe that he loves Purdue but his blood is Louisville red and that is the one place that I think is a no brainer in his mind. His whole family played there, its in a great power 5 conference, has a huge budget and unfortunately he would go back in a minute if it was offered. We all need to root for the Cards success this year so Patrino stays.

As much as I hate to say it, if the Louisville job opens, he will take it. I truly believe that he loves Purdue but his blood is Louisville red and that is the one place that I think is a no brainer in his mind. His whole family played there, its in a great power 5 conference, has a huge budget and unfortunately he would go back in a minute if it was offered. We all need to root for the Cards success this year so Patrino stays.

You have no idea. I don't see it happening. They're sports program is in shambles. They probably won't be receiving any more money from Papa. And right now Brohm is recruiting better to Purdue than Louisville is. Why would he leave for Louisville when he has an AD and President who are supporting him as well as they are.

You do realize Brohm's buyout RIGHT NOW is to the tune of about $20 million, right? There aren't a lot of programs outside of Columbus, Ann Arbor, Alabama, or Florida that can afford that kind of buyout.

Purdue is able (and willing from my accounts) to be able to pay Brohm to the tune of $6.5-$8 million per year if it needs to with the help of donors and a very generous former player who loves that Brohm is coaching at Purdue (make your own connection here). If Purdue is willing to pony up that kind of money, which obviously entails increased salaries for assistants, I doubt he leaves anywhere in the immediate future.

If Brohm is successful like nearly everyone believes he can be at Purdue, the UofL job will be available literally at any point he wants it. Who is to say Brohm doesn't stay at Purdue for 10-15 years and then takes the Louisville job as a job he'll take until retirement?

I guarantee you that money will not be a factor. Louisville would pay him as much or more than Purdue, and cover any buyout. If he was not a Louisville guy I would agree with you - Purdue offers everything (and quite possibly more) than Louisville does but none of that matters if your heart is in Louisville. Louisville has the 22nd largest athletic budget in NCAA at $120 million. Purdue is 46th at $84 million. Once again, I hope that I'm wrong but it seems that whenever a coaches dream job, or home school, becomes available they take it - no matter how good their current situation is.

You do realize Brohm's buyout RIGHT NOW is to the tune of about $20 million, right? There aren't a lot of programs outside of Columbus, Ann Arbor, Alabama, or Florida that can afford that kind of buyout.

Purdue is able (and willing from my accounts) to be able to pay Brohm to the tune of $6.5-$8 million per year if it needs to with the help of donors and a very generous former player who loves that Brohm is coaching at Purdue (make your own connection here). If Purdue is willing to pony up that kind of money, which obviously entails increased salaries for assistants, I doubt he leaves anywhere in the immediate future.

If Brohm is successful like nearly everyone believes he can be at Purdue, the UofL job will be available literally at any point he wants it. Who is to say Brohm doesn't stay at Purdue for 10-15 years and then takes the Louisville job as a job he'll take until retirement?

Buyouts and guaranteed money are not one in the same.

ESPN has it at about $4 million: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-give-jeff-brohm-two-year-contract-extension

This is the breakdown from a different source (HERE):

Buyout if Brohm leaves before:

Dec. 5, 2018: $4.4 million

Dec. 5, 2019: $3.3 million

Dec. 5, 2020: $2.2 million

Dec. 5, 2021: $1.1 million

Dec. 31, 2024: $1 million

Note: Buyout would also include the remaining balance of an interest-free loan given to Brohm by Purdue to terminate his contract with Western Kentucky. The original $900,000 loan is reduced by $150,000 each year.​

Those amounts aren't going to scare off a P5 school if they want Brohm.

I guarantee you that money will not be a factor. Louisville would pay him as much or more than Purdue, and cover any buyout. If he was not a Louisville guy I would agree with you - Purdue offers everything (and quite possibly more) than Louisville does but none of that matters if your heart is in Louisville. Louisville has the 22nd largest athletic budget in NCAA at $120 million. Purdue is 46th at $84 million. Once again, I hope that I'm wrong but it seems that whenever a coaches dream job, or home school, becomes available they take it - no matter how good their current situation is.

Covering a massive buyout could be tough. You'd be paying 3....you'd be paying Petrino, Brohm and then Brohms buyout.

I'm not worried about him taking off TBH. If he does...he didnt want to be here longterm anyhow. You can always worry a guy wants to go back to his alma mater. In this case, I really don't think the timing lines up with Petrino leaving and Brohm being in a place to leave.

I do think he will coach there at some point in the next 10 years. I dont think him being there is that close to happening though and I'm not super worried about it.

Reactions: Frankie611

ESPN has it at about $4 million: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-give-jeff-brohm-two-year-contract-extension

Note: Buyout would also include the remaining balance of an interest-free loan given to Brohm by Purdue to terminate his contract with Western Kentucky. The original $900,000 loan is reduced by $150,000 each year.​

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Check #31 under Brohm. USA Today has his school buyout currently at $15.8 million. Got his numbers confused with Harbaugh's based on a conversation I was having with a friend (Does Brohm leave willingly before Harbaugh is fired). I would guess if there is success this season, we'll hear about another restructuring of Brohm's deal that puts him in the top 15 of paid coaches in the country at roughly $4.5 million per year. As I stated previously, I have some people say that Bobinski along with major donors would be willing to go as high as $6.5 million if need be with another individual kicking in an additional amount for a short amount of time. If that doesn't show a commitment to the program, I'm not sure what would.

And let's be honest...if Brohm is able to pull in a recruiting class that will only get better as the season goes on if the success is there and 2020 starts off good as well...Brohm will be deserving of Top 10-15 money in the country, if only to show commitment to the program for the next hire.

I'm not worried about losing Brohm once he is here for 4 years for the simply fact the hiring pool for coaches has expanded exponentially after he has proved you can recruit and win at Purdue. My first choice would be Tee Martin since UT seems to have burned that bridge by not even really considering him for their latest hire.

Reactions: TheGunner

I’m sure that's what you’re hoping.

Does he leave after winning the $500 million power ball.

Does he leave to travel the world with his family.

Does he leave from eating too much XXX and having triple bypass surgery.

Who knows !

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Check #31 under Brohm. USA Today has his school buyout currently at $15.8 million. Got his numbers confused with Harbaugh's based on a conversation I was having with a friend (Does Brohm leave willingly before Harbaugh is fired). I would guess if there is success this season, we'll hear about another restructuring of Brohm's deal that puts him in the top 15 of paid coaches in the country at roughly $4.5 million per year. As I stated previously, I have some people say that Bobinski along with major donors would be willing to go as high as $6.5 million if need be with another individual kicking in an additional amount for a short amount of time. If that doesn't show a commitment to the program, I'm not sure what would.

And let's be honest...if Brohm is able to pull in a recruiting class that will only get better as the season goes on if the success is there and 2020 starts off good as well...Brohm will be deserving of Top 10-15 money in the country, if only to show commitment to the program for the next hire.

I'm not worried about losing Brohm once he is here for 4 years for the simply fact the hiring pool for coaches has expanded exponentially after he has proved you can recruit and win at Purdue. My first choice would be Tee Martin since UT seems to have burned that bridge by not even really considering him for their latest hire.

That's what Purdue would owe Brohm if he were fired (i.e. severance payment), which isn't the same number as if he leaves for another job (i.e. buyout).

This is from the methodology at the bottom of the link you posted:

"Buyout Owed" figures are the amount a school would owe coach if it fired him without cause on Dec. 1, 2017. Many of these amounts are expressly subject to coach's duty to make good-faith efforts to find another job, with income from that employment offsetting the amount owed. If mitigation and offset are not addressed in contract, coach still may have obligation to make efforts in that regard. Amounts do not take into account per-day pro-rating for a partial contract year. Does not include longevity and/or retention payments.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

I think the amounts will be a bigger hurdle than some think. Part of RichRods woes at Michigan was an inability to get his buyout lowered from 4 million to 2.5 million. That was with Michigan not paying Lloyd Carr any buyout since he was retiring.

For Louisville to get Brohm they would have to be willing to put up 12-14 million dollars to get him. (Petrinos buyout, Brohms buyout, and Brohms first year salary at Louisville)

Reactions: ejs1111
That's what Purdue would owe Brohm if he were fired (i.e. severance payment), which isn't the same number as if he leaves for another job (i.e. buyout).

This is from the methodology at the bottom of the link you posted:

"Buyout Owed" figures are the amount a school would owe coach if it fired him without cause on Dec. 1, 2017. Many of these amounts are expressly subject to coach's duty to make good-faith efforts to find another job, with income from that employment offsetting the amount owed. If mitigation and offset are not addressed in contract, coach still may have obligation to make efforts in that regard. Amounts do not take into account per-day pro-rating for a partial contract year. Does not include longevity and/or retention payments.

Thanks for the clarification.

Still doesn’t change my thoughts on Brohm not leaving for another two years after this one...at minimum. If he doesn’t leave after year 4/5, he likely sticks around for an extended amount of time. Again, the UofL job will always be there and would welcome him with open arms at literally any age he would decide to go.

It's not Louisville that should concern Purdue fans regarding Coach Brohm. Let's just say it would be wise to root like hell for coach O to have a big year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT