ADVERTISEMENT

How Soon We Forget The LSU Bowl Game

daveK-RELOADED

True Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2014
This is basically the same bunch that got whacked by LSUs 3rd string. Bunch of guys opt out and get ready for the NFL. Bunch of guys follow Brohm to Louisville. Bunch of guys enter the portal. Now, I think Walters and his staff are knee deep in do do and over their heads. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is how unprepared this team is and how fast they lose focus. But this deck isn’t even close to being half stacked. This guy has a 7 year contract and a cheap buy out after the 4th year. I think it’s going to take that long to see progress. What I don’t understand are the future schedules. 2024-2026 are meat grinders in the conference. You can’t change that. But the non-conference schedule is baffling. Next year you got ND ($$$$$) and Oregon State. Pay them the buyout money. I understand keeping ND. And no one wants to see a cupcake. But how about a MAC team and a Mountain West, Sun Belt, etc. And schedule one of those games in the middle of your conference season like the SEC does. Let’s face it. Even with talent and coaching improvements, trying to win 6 games the next few years is going to be a real challenge.

I believe the casual fan would love to see Purdue play cupcakes for non conference games! You have to understand the people who post on this forum are NOT casual fans. I believe the other 60,000 that sometimes show up to watch games, would love to see a 63- 8 blow out and would care less who it was against!! Too many die hard fans in this forum think Purdue needs to play good competition and they’d rather see us lose to a good team than blow away teams like siu and ind st! Well bowl games are not like basketball . All bowl games look at are your record not your strength of schedule! Indiana and Minnesota know what they are doing. They schedule cream puffs, win and get 6 victories and go to bowl games!! We are never going to compete with OSU and mich and usc, so shouldn’t building a schedule that would produce 6 wins be our priority? That’s what the casual fan really wants: WINS !!! The casual Iowa fan is happy. They have a very ugly offense but they win 6 games every year and go to a bowl game. That’s what Brohm is doing at Louisville. He has a cream puff schedule, wins games, gets a top 25 rating and goes to bowl games. How hard of a concept is that to grasp? To those of you that would rather lose to tough competition, we are not Ohio st! We casual fans who don’t know much about all that stuff you know would settle for a win against a cream puff! That’s how Love and Nance became first round picks - wins against cream puffs. Neither QB won a single game against a top 25 team! Yet expert fans thought they would be cuter hall of famers!

I believe the casual fan would love to see Purdue play cupcakes for non conference games! You have to understand the people who post on this forum are NOT casual fans. I believe the other 60,000 that sometimes show up to watch games, would love to see a 63- 8 blow out and would care less who it was against!! Too many die hard fans in this forum think Purdue needs to play good competition and they’d rather see us lose to a good team than blow away teams like siu and ind st! Well bowl games are not like basketball . All bowl games look at are your record not your strength of schedule! Indiana and Minnesota know what they are doing. They schedule cream puffs, win and get 6 victories and go to bowl games!! We are never going to compete with OSU and mich and usc, so shouldn’t building a schedule that would produce 6 wins be our priority? That’s what the casual fan really wants: WINS !!! The casual Iowa fan is happy. They have a very ugly offense but they win 6 games every year and go to a bowl game. That’s what Brohm is doing at Louisville. He has a cream puff schedule, wins games, gets a top 25 rating and goes to bowl games. How hard of a concept is that to grasp? To those of you that would rather lose to tough competition, we are not Ohio st! We casual fans who don’t know much about all that stuff you know would settle for a win against a cream puff! That’s how Love and Nance became first round picks - wins against cream puffs. Neither QB won a single game against a top 25 team! Yet expert fans thought they would be cuter hall of famers!
If we don't schedule 3 easy games a year. No bowl games. Look at Michigan's schedule this year and Georgia's

We’ll said

Darn you, Wole - you've activated the sweet tooth for today....definitely not heart healthy, definitely not.....

Cream-Puffs-1200x800-Culinary-Hill.jpg

il_1588xN.5312453290_j0ap.jpg

With this team, there are no cupcake games. IU is going to be a real struggle this year. They played Penn State very tight throughout the game on Saturday.

The trouble is that we have very limited talent. Thieneman has been incredible, but very few other positive surprises. Maybe it is the OC, we kept hearing how Card was a dual threat. He hardly runs. Again, could be the OC not wanting him too.

We lack depth at every position. We need to hit the Portal to revamp this team. However, the main thing we need to do is embrace the NIL, if we want to win. The top teams are getting incredible recruiting classes sure, but they are also bringing in great experienced players. I cannot believe how many games I have seen on tv for top teams that pulled major starters for their team from other schools.

I don't see Purdue playing that game. That is the current environment you live in. You play that game or you get left behind. Right now, we are getting left behind.

Reactions: z_one
With this team, there are no cupcake games. IU is going to be a real struggle this year. They played Penn State very tight throughout the game on Saturday.

The trouble is that we have very limited talent. Thieneman has been incredible, but very few other positive surprises. Maybe it is the OC, we kept hearing how Card was a dual threat. He hardly runs. Again, could be the OC not wanting him too.

We lack depth at every position. We need to hit the Portal to revamp this team. However, the main thing we need to do is embrace the NIL, if we want to win. The top teams are getting incredible recruiting classes sure, but they are also bringing in great experienced players. I cannot believe how many games I have seen on tv for top teams that pulled major starters for their team from other schools.

I don't see Purdue playing that game. That is the current environment you live in. You play that game or you get left behind. Right now, we are getting left behind.
those players that are fortunate enough to land w/ the big boys go there primarily to win championships, we seem to get players that are wanting a chance to prove they belong

Pretty sure we had a HC, OC, and DC during that game who had never held those positions or called a game from those positions.

Plus it is very, very different to take the 6ish best players off a team during the season vs having a whole off season to settle into roles.

Additionally most of our schedule is not LSU or even close.

We need to stop making excuses for this year. We all agree this is a worse team than last year. That said, we should not be this bad.

I remember we didn't have a coach that game. Similar to not having a real coach now.
Purdue had a bad good year. Nothing spectacular but we won the games we more or less should have in b1g play and had a couple late game chokes in noncon. We were put in a bigger bowl than we should have been. And half the team opted out (if memory serves me correctly) and Brian was the interim but let's be honest he knew he was going to lville too.

Reactions: pboiler18
This is basically the same bunch that got whacked by LSUs 3rd string. Bunch of guys opt out and get ready for the NFL. Bunch of guys follow Brohm to Louisville. Bunch of guys enter the portal. Now, I think Walters and his staff are knee deep in do do and over their heads. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is how unprepared this team is and how fast they lose focus. But this deck isn’t even close to being half stacked. This guy has a 7 year contract and a cheap buy out after the 4th year. I think it’s going to take that long to see progress. What I don’t understand are the future schedules. 2024-2026 are meat grinders in the conference. You can’t change that. But the non-conference schedule is baffling. Next year you got ND ($$$$$) and Oregon State. Pay them the buyout money. I understand keeping ND. And no one wants to see a cupcake. But how about a MAC team and a Mountain West, Sun Belt, etc. And schedule one of those games in the middle of your conference season like the SEC does. Let’s face it. Even with talent and coaching improvements, trying to win 6 games the next few years is going to be a real challenge.
You’ve said a whole bunch of nothing here.

Brohm has 4 of last years players or recruits on his roster and only 2 of them were transfers…and they only left after spring ball and the current staff chased them off. Brohm didn’t gut us. He did leave us in the lurch with little time…but that’s where the blame ends. With as many portal guys who we have who have played and had success elsewhere, this should not be as bad of a season as it has been.

Our OOC, VT, Syracuse and Fresno is meh. We went 1-2 vs 3 very average to below average teams. We replace any of those with somebody worse we run the risk of losing that too and getting further embarrassed.

Better scheming and coaching is the answer. Not scheduling cupcakes…that didn’t work for Hazell and it’s not going to work for Walters if he can’t put the talent he does have in a position to win.

Better scheming and coaching is the answer. Not scheduling cupcakes…that didn’t work for Hazell and it’s not going to work for Walters if he can’t put the talent he does have in a position to win.
Playing ND is a nice tradition to re-establish, but realistically we should be playing two cupcakes at home at the start of every season, along with IU during the last weekend.

The 4 new teams coming in make that even more imperative.

If nothing else, it may lower the chances of early season injuries.

LOL - what about that bowl game is worth remembering?

I’m frustrated at the lack of discernible progress so far this year, but Walters deserves the chance to put his imprimatur on the program…

LOL - what about that bowl game is worth remembering?

I’m frustrated at the lack of discernible progress so far this year, but Walters deserves the chance to put his imprimatur on the program…
I think what's worth remembering is the lack of an oline, poor QB options, no top players at WR and an overmatched secondary.

Which surprise is the same stuff we are seeing now.

Again, I’d have liked (and I expected ) to see more progress by this time, but IMO it’s pointless to remember an irrelevant holiday exhibition as something helpful or instructive for this program.

Walters has a LOT of improving to do- no one should dispute that.

Hey-Brian Ferentz is leaving Iowa after the season—-
Make it happen, Bo!! 😎
He is really leaving? I assumed they would make him strength coach or something like that so he can keep being paid. Or else say he can stay on another year since they had to start a linebacker at QB.

Or maybe associate assistant AD in charge of minority relationships.

Again, I’d have liked (and I expected ) to see more progress by this time, but IMO it’s pointless to remember an irrelevant holiday exhibition as something helpful or instructive for this program.

Walters has a LOT of improving to do- no one should dispute that.
Two things can be true:

1. Walters et al are performing horribly, badly, inexcusably, whatever moniker folks want to put on it.
2. The talent level left behind is significantly poor at almost every position save for a small handful of decent to good players, and not a single great player.

You’ve said a whole bunch of nothing here.

Brohm has 4 of last years players or recruits on his roster and only 2 of them were transfers…and they only left after spring ball and the current staff chased them off. Brohm didn’t gut us. He did leave us in the lurch with little time…but that’s where the blame ends. With as many portal guys who we have who have played and had success elsewhere, this should not be as bad of a season as it has been.

Our OOC, VT, Syracuse and Fresno is meh. We went 1-2 vs 3 very average to below average teams. We replace any of those with somebody worse we run the risk of losing that too and getting further embarrassed.

All you are doing is venting with no facts. So tell me what talent came in in a truckload. You can better scheme all you want. If you don't have the talent the scheme is worthless. The coaching has been poor. But look at the situation. This isn't Brian Kelly walking into LSU.

Two things can be true:

1. Walters et al are performing horribly, badly, inexcusably, whatever moniker folks want to put on it.
2. The talent level left behind is significantly poor at almost every position save for a small handful of decent to good players, and not a single great player.
2 very good points.

Two things can be true:

Jenkins looks like the best DE in the conference. But sure, we got nuthin!

All you are doing is venting with no facts. So tell me what talent came in in a truckload. You can better scheme all you want. If you don't have the talent the scheme is worthless. The coaching has been poor. But look at the situation. This isn't Brian Kelly walking into LSU.
or the revolving door of coaches at Oregon

Jenkins looks like the best DE in the conference. But sure, we got nuthin!
Lol really? Better than anyone at PSU, OSU, or Michigan?

This must be the Mockobee is the best RB in the last 20 years eyeballs you're using.

Lol really? Better than anyone at PSU, OSU, or Michigan?

This must be the Mockobee is the best RB in the last 20 years eyeballs you're using.
Stats wise, who’s better?

And this is while he’s asked to do things he’s not great at like cover RBs and TEs when he should just be setting the edge and getting to the QB

And this is while he’s asked to do things he’s not great at like cover RBs and TEs when he should just be setting the edge and getting to the QB
Jenkins is obviously a good player, but no one outside of this forum would say that he is the best DE in the B1G, an I'm not sure anyone here would say that but you.

He's really come on this year, though. Maybe the coach/scheme has put him in position to make plays? But your take is that the player is leading the B1G in sacks and TFL due to supreme physical talent and in spite of a total joke of a coach/scheme. I mean, he would surely be way better if Ron English was here. Right? Probably would have 12 sacks and 15 TFL by now. Right?

One thing for sure is that you have some serious delusions about the talent level of this team.

Must be good coaching huh?

Jenkins is obviously a good player, but no one outside of this forum would say that he is the best DE in the B1G, an I'm not sure anyone here would say that but you.

He's really come on this year, though. Maybe the coach/scheme has put him in position to make plays? But your take is that the player is leading the B1G in sacks and TFL due to supreme physical talent and in spite of a total joke of a coach/scheme. I mean, he would surely be way better if Ron English was here. Right? Probably would have 12 sacks and 15 TFL by now. Right?

One thing for sure is that you have some serious delusions about the talent level of this team.
No. I think he is supremely talented and overcoming being asked to play off the line of scrimmage at times.

He is beyond poor in coverage but you shouldn’t ask a 275 pound DE to cover. Those players are unicorns and barely exist in the NFL. That’s where the poor coaching comes into play.

I do think the scheme is favorable to him and Scourton to have success when they are told to rush the QB. The problem is we are running the scheme without the back 6 to back him up when he doesn’t get there.

His PFF and advanced stats #s are the best in the conference and really comparable to some of the best edge players in the country. We won’t talk about who recruited him though, I’d hate to have to hear about our old coaches.

No. I think he is supremely talented and overcoming being asked to play off the line of scrimmage at times.

He is beyond poor in coverage but you shouldn’t ask a 275 pound DE to cover. Those players are unicorns and barely exist in the NFL. That’s where the poor coaching comes into play.

I do think the scheme is favorable to him and Scourton to have success when they are told to rush the QB. The problem is we are running the scheme without the back 6 to back him up when he doesn’t get there.

His PFF and advanced stats #s are the best in the conference and really comparable to some of the best edge players in the country. We won’t talk about who recruited him though, I’d hate to have to hear about our old coaches.
Since you have all of the advanced stats, how many snaps has he been in coverage? I'm genuinely curious, but suspect that it's not as often as you'd like to think.

And I could have sworn you were adamant that we were really talented in the secondary. Really great talent, just not good enough to cover anyone if the best edge in the B1G doesn't get home. Hmm.

So now it's about who recruited him not who's coaching him, but of course in 2017 it's the opposite. Lol

Since you have all of the advanced stats, how many snaps has he been in coverage? I'm genuinely curious, but suspect that it's not as often as you'd like to think.

And I could have sworn you were adamant that we were really talented in the secondary. Really great talent, just not good enough to cover anyone if the best edge in the B1G doesn't get home. Hmm.
My point in the secondary is that Wilson and Brown are as good as we will get. Wilson is good. Brown is better than the average DB we get here and better than anything we seemingly have on the way.

We don’t help them playing a safety so deep they can’t actually help. Not many guys in the college game and certainly not ones that will come to Purdue that can lock down guys for play after play after play. Again…we have the talent…we are vastly mid-utilizing it. I’m the one all along who has said we have talent. I think we have it everywhere but LB. Half the time we don’t line up correctly, half the time we do t execute assignments correctly and most of the time our LBs, Kane and Allen struggle to do anything right.

Only takes a few weak links to derail a scheme. Especially one that is so assignment heavy and predicated on winning 1v1 matchups basically every play like ours.

Again…we are talented…just refuse to adjust to the talent we have and if we want to continue to run this Walters D we have to face the fact that we’ll NEVER have the talent to make it successful.

To answer your question…in week 3 I think we had one or both of Scourton and Jenkins in coverage like 18% of the time. I haven’t bothered to look lately. That’s 18% too much of you ask me.

So now it's about who recruited him not who's coaching him, but of course in 2017 it's the opposite. Lol
I’m not the one fighting you on Hazell vs Brohm rosters. I think every P5 team generally has enough talent to win 6 games. We are coming up short there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT