ADVERTISEMENT

How Soon We Forget The LSU Bowl Game

Um, looks like the competition is going to be tougher than anything your hero faced.
No hero at all. I'm merely comparing coaches that were hired at different times and have showed vastly different in game decisions ...... You and others feel that CRW was the right hire, great.
With conferences adding teams and becoming more powerful, I was shocked that Purdue chose and inexperienced coach with a newly formulated coaching staff.
Not the route some would have taken considering the trend that has evolved.
I hope for nothing but success for CWR, but his inexperience as a head coach was shockingly on display in 2023......

So Brohm was a shitty coach because he couldn't choose between Jack Plummer and Aiden O'Connell for like 3 years?
Remember.. Aidan Oconnell wasn’t a Jeff Christensen throw it deep inc (Christensen has also worked with Pat mahomes amongst many other top pros) guy who walked on and moved up as Blough and sindelar graduated and so many QBs became “who?!?” Oconnell wasn’t a guy who showed that he could lead an otherwise 2-8 team to comeback victories as though it wasn’t brohm, but rather that he just had those tools.

It wasn’t that brohm has never gotten his own recruits to do much of anything (you saw last night what the best one looks like in his 6th year). It wasn’t that brohm repeatedly thought plummer was the guy only to be bailed out in two seasons by Oconnell.

This was Jeff Brohm’s da Vinci code all along lol.

No hero at all. I'm merely comparing coaches that were hired at different times and have showed vastly different in game decisions ...... You and others feel that CRW was the right hire, great.
With conferences adding teams and becoming more powerful, I was shocked that Purdue chose and inexperienced coach with a newly formulated coaching staff.
Not the route some would have taken considering the trend that has evolved.
I hope for nothing but success for CWR, but his inexperience as a head coach was shockingly on display in 2023......
Why? How do you know Bobinski didn’t want better. At the time brohm left Purdue players were pitching fits behind the scenes over no NIL coming their way. Part of that was Brohm and part of it was purdue ignoring NIL for a year.

Do you like Nic Scourton? Well if he ultimately stays, and all signs point to that happening for about 300k, you can thank Zach edey. Because without him I don’t think purdue would have been mobilized for the football off-season.

So let’s start with what coaches had to think about when Bobinski contacted them. Coaches you wanted. The ultimate question with any job that isn’t a dream job is “if this is my best offer, do I need to take this job if I’m a legit coach, or can I wait.”

Example of waiting would be luke fickell for many years.

Okay, let’s examine the purdue job:

1) in the 14 team conference, purdue is probably the 10th or so best team historically. So you’re talking about being at the bottom of a conference looking up. People cover this sport like simpletons, so no one is really going to say “yeah he was 6-6, but at purdue that’s like going 10-2 at penn state.” You take the purdue job and it’s highly likely you aren’t getting offered better jobs than before you came.

Joe tiller and Jeff brohm took the job here and succeeded anyway. Brohm was only for his last 22 games, but he didn’t fail. He was offered Tennessee after year one, so he was offered better jobs.

Two things changed after brohm arrived

2) ridiculous scheduling. An agent examining the Purdue job; you know.. taking a deeper dive for his client, is going to answer the question “do you need to take the job or can you wait” by pointing out that winning 6 games isn’t going to be nearly as easy as it was for Jeff brohm in 2017.

Sure Bobinski couldn’t control changes in the conference that amount to trading out Minnesota for Oregon on your schedule.

What he could control was not having seasons where we play multiple p5 teams in the OOC.

5-7 is going to become the new 6-6 and the simpletons who cover this sport are not gonna say “if you can go 5-7 at Purdue you can easily be 9-3 at penn state.”

3. NIL

Again, you have to go back to the end of last season where promises were made and Purdue players got zilch. Which, by the way, if that doesn’t happen.. there’s a good chance the Purdue season includes some or all of the linemen we lost.

Even if you don’t believe the above, know this. Purdue has scrambled and scraped and tried and pulled in big donations.. just to get themselves to the below average area of competitiveness with NIL. This is something Jeff brohm and joe tiller never had to deal with here.

Who comes here or rather who declines the offer knowing that if you somehow get Rondale Moore again, you have almost no chance to keep him after his freshman season. The only real chance you have is that he’s a grounded kid who will take some money to stay at a place he loves. I believe we have that in Nic Scourton by the way. That dude could wave his arms right now and generate 3-10 times what he’s getting here. He chose Purdue and if he finishes that choice, I believe the old guard will view him as a boiler for life and hopefully doors will open for him well beyond the NFL.

But many if not most would open the market. Purdue has no ability to retain top top end guys like Moore or G. karlaftis if that happens.

The dude you wanted was likely contacted and likely said no thank you

Reactions: SKYDOG
Why? How do you know Bobinski didn’t want better. At the time brohm left Purdue players were pitching fits behind the scenes over no NIL coming their way. Part of that was Brohm and part of it was purdue ignoring NIL for a year.

Do you like Nic Scourton? Well if he ultimately stays, and all signs point to that happening for about 300k, you can thank Zach edey. Because without him I don’t think purdue would have been mobilized for the football off-season.

So let’s start with what coaches had to think about when Bobinski contacted them. Coaches you wanted. The ultimate question with any job that isn’t a dream job is “if this is my best offer, do I need to take this job if I’m a legit coach, or can I wait.”

1) in the 14 team conference, purdue is probably the 10th or so best team historically. So you’re talking about being at the bottom of a conference looking up. People cover this sport like simpletons, so no one is really going to say “yeah he was 6-6, but at purdue that’s like going 10-2 at penn state.” You take the purdue job and it’s highly likely you aren’t getting offered better jobs than before you came.

Joe tiller and Jeff brohm took the job here and succeeded anyway. Brohm was only for his last 22 games, but he didn’t fail. He was offered Tennessee after year one, so he was offered better jobs.

2) ridiculous scheduling. An agent examining the Purdue job; you know.. taking a deeper dive for his client, is going to answer the question “do you need to take the job or can you wait” by pointing out that winning 6 games isn’t going to be nearly as easy as it was for Jeff brohm in 2017.

Sure Bobinski couldn’t control changes in the conference that amount to trading out Minnesota for Oregon on your schedule.

What he could control was not having seasons where we play multiple p5 teams in the OOC.

5-7 is going to become the new 6-6 and the simpletons who cover this sport are not gonna say “if you can go 5-7 at Purdue you can easily be 9-3 at penn state.”

3. NIL

Again, you have to go back to the end of last season where promises were made and Purdue players got zilch. Which, by the way, if that doesn’t happen.. there’s a good chance the Purdue season includes some or all of the linemen we lost.

Even if you don’t believe the above, know this. Purdue has scrambled and scraped and tried and pulled in big donations.. just to get themselves to the below average area of competitiveness with NIL. This is something Jeff brohm and joe tiller never had to deal with here.

Who comes here or rather who declines the offer knowing that if you somehow get Rondale Moore again, you have almost no chance to keep him after his freshman season. The only real chance you have is that he’s a grounded kid who will take some money to stay at a place he loves. I believe we have that in Nic Scourton by the way. That dude could wave his arms right now and generate 3-10 times what he’s getting here. He chose Purdue and if he finishes that choice, I believe the old guard will view him as a boiler for life and hopefully doors will open for him well beyond the NFL.

But many if not most would open the market. Purdue has no ability to retain top top end guys like Moore or G. karlaftis if that happens.

You brought up great topics.
I would love to know more about Brohm screwing players on NIL and who actually did apply for the Purdue Football Head Coaching Position......
Can answers to those questions be had with a premium subscription???
Poor pitiful Purdue.....

You brought up great topics.
I would love to know more about Brohm screwing players on NIL and who actually did apply for the Purdue Football Head Coaching Position......
Can answers to those questions be had with a premium subscription???
Poor pitiful Purdue.....
More by messaging the right people and asking. There are locals who post here and seem to know the goings on. And then those people will sometimes share that info. I have always thought that said locals are tippco and bwesty, even though I’ve never personally interacted with any of them.

You’re free to believe or disbelieve what you want, But of those who disbelieve stories of last year, I’ve seen very few say “oh yeah and we are killing it in NIL too.”

I think there’s a good chance Walters ultimately fails here because that’s what he was set up for. I think if he does, he becomes a coordinator at a few stops, does a good job and then ends up waiting to take a job where he has the resources.

Purdue had plenty of money to kick to the right candidate. And they may change the NIL narrative before the next time the job is open. For now, I think Bobinski was always either going to need to buy low on a risk or take some retread nobody wanted

PS

3. NIL

PS: After reading your post, I feel a whole lot better about Purdue's 4-8 season this year and now have a more realistic view of what's to come for Purdue Football!!

PS

PS: After reading your post, I feel a whole lot better about Purdue's 4-8 season this year and now have a more realistic view of what's to come for Purdue Football!!
I was always fair with brohm. I didn’t like things at the end. But if I woke up from a coma and he was head coach next year again and went 5-7, I’d say it is probably a job well done.

Look at Matt Rhule’s past success and all the resources of Nebraska. They are probably right up there with the big dogs in NIL. They wink wink bragged about the “bag man” visiting wanDale robinson before his “change of heart” from Kentucky.

They were 5-7 with what I thought was a much much much improved team from last year. Their OOC was colorado, northern Illinois and Louisiana tech. Good chance we also go 5-7 with that schedule preseason.

I was always fair with brohm. I didn’t like things at the end. But if I woke up from a coma and he was head coach next year again and went 5-7, I’d say it is probably a job well done.

Look at Matt Rhule’s past success and all the resources of Nebraska. They are probably right up there with the big dogs in NIL. They wink wink bragged about the “bag man” visiting wanDale robinson before his “change of heart” from Kentucky.

They were 5-7 with what I thought was a much much much improved team from last year. Their OOC was colorado, northern Illinois and Louisiana tech. Good chance we also go 5-7 with that schedule preseason.
My return comments are genuine. 4-8 is what we are and with all being what is said to be, that or less is where we will remain....

My return comments are genuine. 4-8 is what we are and with all being what is said to be, that or less is where we will remain....
Depends. Purdue paid to keep key players. If they go out and get 4-5 transfers that cost money, expectations should rise.

For reference, I doubt Indiana got Andre carter for free

K
Depends. Purdue paid to keep key players. If they go out and get 4-5 transfers that cost money, expectations should rise.

For reference, I doubt Indiana got Andre carter for free
Keep in mind who will be coaching those 4-5 stud players that could land at Purdue.
The same coach that was dumb enough to take the Purdue job.
That's using your logic of the current state of Purdue Football.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT