ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Diaco

Watch #9 get washed out on EVERY play. He and I are both 50 lbs overweight and can’t hold our ground.
What are some examples of you not being able to hold your ground, for comparison purposes?

Not sure how you can call the offensive line "great." They are horrible. I am sure some of the limited play calling has a lot to do with the offensive line not having a strength. Run blocking....nope. Pass blocking....nope. What else is left??? Nebraska rushes 4, there are 5 offensive linemen, and 2 or 3 defenders get to the QB. A couple of times they rush 3 and we couldn't get more than 4 seconds.
Go back and watch the game. Focus on the offensive line. I watched a 2nd time and couldn't make it past the 1st quarter because the o-line was so bad!!

Everyone keeps commenting on the OL like they aren’t missing a bunch of guys. Yes, Hermanns and the four backups he is playing with are pretty “meh” just like last year when McCann was out.

Hermanns, CRAIG (yes Craig not Holstege... Craig .. you know two different people.. one is pretty good, the other may be good but isn’t there), Hartwig (were he playing center), JORNIGAN (way more imposing at guard than Hartwig) and Bramel were pretty good together

Reactions: Riveting
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I thought that I would offer some perspective from a ND fan on Diaco.

He was considered a success at ND because the defensive staff that preceded him was so atrocious that the bar for success was practically nonexistent. Additionally, he was the architect of the defense that got ND to the national championship game in 2012.

His defense was straight vanilla, so much so that ND always kept its base personnel on the field, rarely if ever using nickel, and not even having a dime package available to use. He had incredible talent on that defense, including guys like Manti Teo and Louis Nix, and designed a bend-but-don't-break defense that kept everything in front of them, would allow yards between the 20 yard lines, and then firm up in the red zone. Basically, they out-talented opponents, which was all well and good until they ran into a team in Alabama that they couldn't out-talent.

You can probably still dig up interviews from Alabama's players after the game where they say that they knew everything that ND's defense was going to do on every play. Thats right...40 days to prepare for the game, and Diaco added no wrinkles or anything. He let the best team in the nation have 40 days to dissect video of his defense and they got trampled during the game.

One more thing to add. After the 2012 season, Diaco stopped recruiting. He was a pretty average recruiter to begin with, but what I have been told by people who had insider knowledge is that he flat-out told Brian Kelly that he wasn't going to recruit, and then he bolted for UCONN.

To this day, there are still plenty of ND fans who look at him fondly for his part in getting ND to a title game, but I guarantee you that not a single one of them would want him back at ND if you asked them.

Bob Diaco is a fraud. He does not deserve more time. The sooner that you get rid of him, the better off that you'll be.
That’s a ringing endorsement compared to what my Nebraska buddies say about him...

Honestly...why not cut him loose now and let someone else call the shots against IU.
Because he apparently tries/works hard during the week and wants the team to play well and compete in their game on Saturday...something along those lines is what I got from like the last 10 press conferences. Oh, and, if/when they (the defense) apparently align right and do what they are supposed to, they are not as bad as they are otherwise.

I would be fine if they did so, but, obviously not going to happen...personally, more concerning and bothersome that Biagi remains, as, there is no excuse in the world for him to remain as it is next to impossible to be less effective.

Because he apparently tries/works hard during the week and wants the team to play well and compete in their game on Saturday...something along those lines is what I got from like the last 10 press conferences. Oh, and, if/when they (the defense) apparently align right and do what they are supposed to, they are not as bad as they are otherwise.

I would be fine if they did so, but, obviously not going to happen...personally, more concerning and bothersome that Biagi remains, as, there is no excuse in the world for him to remain as it is next to impossible to be less effective.
We probably picked the worst year ever to change both our DC and special teams coach.

Reactions: DAG10
We probably picked the worst year ever to change both our DC and special teams coach.
That said, it was a conscious decision to do so, and, while the timing looks bad certainly...the decisions do as well...I am not sure if either would be a good hire any year, but, together...this year...hard to do worse than that.

Purdue is ranked 72nd for points scored and 71st for points allowed. Both sides of the ball need a lot of improvement.

Reactions: NVboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT