ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

"but I see talent never displayed"

Psychic!!!;)
no what that means is that there is talent that hasn't been used in the discussed or displayed settings. This is a new team and there will be some new roles for most players...zach being the least if any modified. The team has talent, but the actual season has not been displayed and so guessing that a talented team is somehow already defined as not very good and/or roles already defined is not something we are capable. It actually has nothing to do with being psychic, but more to do with the blending of the talent we haven't seen. Is that more clear?

P

I agree with your overall assessment, i.e. some young or unproven guys will have to really step up and do things they haven't before for Purdue to be a real contender.

In my opinion the performance and statistical view that you provide on individual players above is at such a high level as to be of no use at all. This guys does a great job of breaking down Bandon and Zach in much more detail:
Thanks for posting. I found his entire analysis bith informative and interesting.

Reactions: northside100
P

I agree with your overall assessment, i.e. some young or unproven guys will have to really step up and do things they haven't before for Purdue to be a real contender.

In my opinion the performance and statistical view that you provide on individual players above is at such a high level as to be of no use at all. This guys does a great job of breaking down Bandon and Zach in much more detail:
A couple of points.

I like Newman and if he doesn't start and isn't our 2nd or 3rd leading scorer, I'll be really disappointed. But I quite honestly don't know what we're going to get from him.

First of all In the analysis, the guy totally discounts Newman's sophomore year. His entire analysis is on his freshman year. But lets add some context to his freshman year. Newman had some huge games but I think we all remember him kind of fizzling out near the end of the year. I always attributed it to Ivey coming back from injury. That was part of it, but he still started 5 of the last 10 games. If you look at his stats that year after the 29 point game he averaged 4.4 points on 29% shooting (25% from 3). That wasn't just a couple of games. That was over a third of the season (10 games). It wasn't like Painter said "nice 29 point game, but Ivey's back so your not playing anymore". Newman kind of played himself out of minutes at the end of his freshman year. Then there was last year.....

Bottom line I don't know what to expect from Newman this year. I'm hoping to see the guy that showed flashes of brilliance his freshman year but we haven't seen it on a consistent basis since the middle of his freshmen year.

A couple of points.

I like Newman and if he doesn't start and isn't our 2nd or 3rd leading scorer, I'll be really disappointed. But I quite honestly don't know what we're going to get from him.

First of all In the analysis, the guy totally discounts Newman's sophomore year. His entire analysis is on his freshman year. But lets add some context to his freshman year. Newman had some huge games but I think we all remember him kind of fizzling out near the end of the year. I always attributed it to Ivey coming back from injury. That was part of it, but he still started 5 of the last 10 games. If you look at his stats that year after the 29 point game he averaged 4.4 points on 29% shooting (25% from 3). That wasn't just a couple of games. That was over a third of the season (10 games). It wasn't like Painter said "nice 29 point game, but Ivey's back so your not playing anymore". Newman kind of played himself out of minutes at the end of his freshman year. Then there was last year.....

Bottom line I don't know what to expect from Newman this year. I'm hoping to see the guy that showed flashes of brilliance his freshman year but we haven't seen it on a consistent basis since the middle of his freshmen year.
Some of his "fizzling out" that you reference had to do with minutes, and, his being taken out of the starting line-up...there is no doubt that it played with his mind/weighed on him...the same happened with Isaiah last year.

Part of that was more minutes for Ivey, and, then the fact that Sasha was put back into the starting line-up after his return from COVID.

Like you, it is impossible to know what to expect...he is talented...he works incredibly hard...he is a good teammate...he certainly wants to succeed...he obviously wants to succeed at Purdue...and, he is capable...hopefully it happens...I would argue it is probably the most critical thing going in for Purdue in terms of almost arguably needing it to happen.

A couple of points.

You're missing or choosing to ignore context. I agree that the Minnesota game was an outlier and would argue that it may have been the worst thing that happened to Brandon.

The context you're missing is that 1) the UM game before the Minnesota game was the last game of the year that Brandon started alongside Sasha, who was out starting the UM game (I believe with COVID) 2) Brandon struggled with the change in circumstances, first with playing alongside Ivey (I hypothesize that this was aggravated by Brandon 'shot hunting' after his big game vs Minnesota) and then coming off the bench.

Again, where the article's analysis is far superior to what you're doing is that it takes into account the types of shots that Brandon is successful in taking. Brandon is good on offense when he's taking good shots. When he forcing tougher shots he's not nearly as efficient. Can / will he play within himself this year and not force bad shots? I hope so, but as you said, we don't know at this point.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
This has been a good discussion on Brandon. Let me add a couple thoughts. First, regarding his freshman year, every freshman I’ve watched through the years has hit a “wall” about 2/3 of the way through their first season. I think it has to do with conditioning. Certainly not surprised that Brandon’s last few games as a freshman had him struggling. I caution against using those games as an accurate measure. I might add that many of the games he came into late, after the game had been decided. His role was not to score on jump shots, but to feed the post in that situation.

Second, basketball at this level is as much a psychological game as a physical game. Jaden Ivey was an intimidating player to compete against. Along with losing his starting role, Brandon had to get past Ivey’s ball dominant talent. I think he will come into this year with a completely reworked psyche and attitude. Give him the starters role and he won’t give it up. At least, I sure hope that is the case.

:cool:

If I had to answer, I'd still project Newman as our second leading scorer this year. With this team there are just so many questions and I don't mean that in a negative way. I trust Painter to put the pieces together but until the season starts, I think we'll all be guessing what the rotation will look like.

If I had to answer, I'd still project Newman as our second leading scorer this year. With this team there are just so many questions and I don't mean that in a negative way. I trust Painter to put the pieces together but until the season starts, I think we'll all be guessing what the rotation will look like.
no solid thoughts on Brandon's scoring. Zach will be in double figures and a few will avg between 5 and 9 I imagine. Like you...until we see them a few times we are guessing more than usual... ;)

no solid thoughts on Brandon's scoring. Zach will be in double figures and a few will avg between 5 and 9 I imagine. Like you...until we see them a few times we are guessing more than usual... ;)
Totally agree. Beyond Zach I have no idea who the leading scorers will be. Seems likely that Brandon is in the top 2 or 3 but there are the a lot of players (Brandon, Caleb, TKR, maybe even Mason) who have the talent to potentially see their scoring really blow up. It's possible that we have a bunch of players at 5 to 9 ppg but it also wouldn't surprise me to see one or two players (outside of Zach) in the 12 ppg range.

Totally agree. Beyond Zach I have no idea who the leading scorers will be. Seems likely that Brandon is in the top 2 or 3 but there are the a lot of players (Brandon, Caleb, TKR, maybe even Mason) who have the talent to potentially see their scoring really blow up. It's possible that we have a bunch of players at 5 to 9 ppg but it also wouldn't surprise me to see one or two players (outside of Zach) in the 12 ppg range.
It would surprise a bit if Purdue had 3 players average double figures just because I think there is some depth to share some minutes. Who knows...we are all guessing now having not seen them play recently. I do think there are a lot of players that might score double digits in a given game, but unsure of averaging that????/

I realize it's just unorganized practice, but that defensive effort will get you pine time once real games start. Any idea who the defender wa?
Guessing Terry Johnson maybe working on Cam attacking the defenders foot if slightly opened up or just being up high when he has the ball. They were working on him driving the ball

Reactions: Schnelk
Guessing Terry Johnson maybe working on Cam attacking the defenders foot if slightly opened up or just being up high when he has the ball. They were working on him driving the ball
Ah, that's better...I thought maybe one of the newer guys just giving weak effort.

Reactions: tjreese
I think Newman will average around 15 per game, if we all rally around him and give him the confidence I think he needs. Throughout the game, the crowd needs to shout, Let's go Brandon! And I bet we will get most of the opposition joining that shouting too.

Heide had a quick first step in his HS videos. I am glad to see his foot has healed.
Not sure I have ever seen one of his videos. If he can handle the ball a bit he could be a great 3 for Purdue

Reactions: TX4GB
A couple question marks answered with Smith dribble drive and TKR from deep :D
Good news and bad news for Purdue:
  • Kaufman-Renn's jumper looks freakin' beautiful,
  • Smith made a nice pass,
  • Smith is really little,
  • Furst's weak side help consisted of running the other way.
  • Loyer (I think that's him guarding Smith) has some really slow feet on ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: mediaexpert
Edey was in the right position to protect the basket. The guard rightly chose to cover the player in the corner, but the other defender should have slid over to guard TKR. He stayed with his man and that would have been a tough plass.

Watch it again and you will see Mason screen on Loyer and Furst holding Smith until Loyer catches up and then furst recovers to Mason the player he was defending around the FT line. He was not running the other way but recovering to his man. Zach is big and everyone next to him is small. I'm not a fan of jumping in the air to pass generally, but when you see a few frames ahead and know where you are going and can get by with it...then it works. I'm "guessing since we know where Caleb was that Zach had Trey and went to help on Smith who hit Zach's man...Trey for 2

Watch it again and you will see Mason screen on Loyer and Furst holding Smith until Furst until Loyer catches up and then recovers to Mason the player he was defending around the FT line. He was not running the other way but recovering to his man. Zach is big and everyone next to him is small. I'm not a fan of jumping in the air to pass generally, but when you see a few frames ahead and know where you are going and can get by with it...then it works. I'm "guessing since we know were Caleb was that Zach had Trey and went to help on Smith who hit Zach's man...
I was kind of joking about Furst. He recovered instead of hedging toward the ball but that happens. He’ll be a fine defender.

That kind of effort and foot speed by Loyer though? Imagine that kind of stuff would be featured in a film session with him. That’ll get you put on the bench.

I was kind of joking about Furst. He recovered instead of hedging toward the ball but that happens. He’ll be a fine defender.

That kind of effort and foot speed by Loyer though? Imagine that kind of stuff would be featured in a film session with him. That’ll get you put on the bench.
I think playing D for freshman with the NEW intensity expected is many times tiring...particularly for players that were high scorers. None of us know what all took place before this segment relative to fatigue. I expect Loyer to play as well as a lot of new faces and we know he can shoot the ball. There will be a LOT of learning for this youthful team early, but I think they will be pretty solid in January. Lot of pieces to like. Can play low post and high... a 4 and 5 or two 4's that interchange or could. Team will have a couple of great passers in Morton and Smith and shooters on the perimeter. I will be shocked if offense is an issue. Dribble containment is my concern as it is every year. Last years team had so much offensive talent that it would take minutes off and wander off into lala land at times and just go through the motions..and on offense sometimes that led to poor play that caused D efficiency to go down. This team will play smarter as it matures and it will mature. It is young and there will be spills, but it is going to be fun watching them grow.

I think passing is a key to being good and the most under appreciated skill for many that watch basketball

TJD just missed another 15 footer but still impressed with his flexing.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
I think playing D for freshman with the NEW intensity expected is many times tiring...particularly for players that were high scorers. None of us know what all took place before this segment relative to fatigue. I expect Loyer to play as well as a lot of new faces and we know he can shoot the ball. There will be a LOT of learning for this youthful team early, but I think they will be pretty solid in January. Lot of pieces to like. Can play low post and high... a 4 and 5 or two 4's that interchange or could. Team will have a couple of great passers in Morton and Smith and shooters on the perimeter. I will be shocked if offense is an issue. Dribble containment is my concern as it is every year. Last years team had so much offensive talent that it would take minutes off and wander off into lala land at times and just go through the motions..and on offense sometimes that led to poor play that caused D efficiency to go down. This team will play smarter as it matures and it will mature. It is young and there will be spills, but it is going to be fun watching them grow.

I think passing is a key to being good and the most under appreciated skill for many that watch basketball
Good analysis. I really appreciate when you post. You are one of the most basketball knowledgeable people on the forum. I agree that this is going to be entertaining watching this team get better every game. I think they are going to be much better than some C. Little’s predict.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
TJD just missed another 15 footer but still impressed with his flexing.
You're so mean! ;) Still, the flexing does get a bit old. I imagine TJD is not where he thought he would be coming out of high school. Kid is a really quick jumper, a dominant lefty that is good around the rim and Jekyll and Heide at the line it seems. IU should make the tourney this year and will be in the fight for the Big I imagine

Good analysis. I really appreciate when you post. You are one of the most basketball knowledgeable people on the forum. I agree that this is going to be entertaining watching this team get better every game. I think they are going to be much better than some C. Little’s predict.

Thank you. That was kind, even if undeserving. When I post I realize there are people all over the place that love Purdue basketball and their understandings are all over the place. If I can be of value to someone with some answer or explanation from my perspective that gives them any insight, then I'm happy to have helped even if I bore others that already may know.

How are things in Michigan, Math? Making a quick trip to son's place in White Lake in a couple weeks.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about our guard’s ability to create for themselves, but I think the bright side for this team is that we have a clear centerpiece in Edey and a bunch of people that fit well around him. Everyone can shoot, and someone like Loyer who has defensive flaws has extra value playing with Edey as a knockdown. Excited to see how the team grows Jan-Mar

Reactions: northside100
Or, the most likely, he hates his role as it stood at Purdue...and, it was not because his playing time was going to be reduced, but rather, that he was a scoring guard playing out of position for the better part of his career and doing little more than throwing post entry passes, and, he did not want to do it for his last year.

The collective management of the position a year ago (Newman included in such) was not great, and, it led to 2 guys transferring...one having lost the better part of the year...no proven PG...and, a ton of questions at the position(s).
Just fyi, I’m not saying I’m right but Brian doubled down on this yesterday, saying that if the coaching staff had wanted Hunter back this season, he’d be here.

How are things in Michigan, Math? Making a quick trip to son's place in White Lake in a couple weeks.
We've been having a great summer of those sparkly Michigan summer days. Low humidity, clear skies and moderate temps. This week it has suddenly turned a bit colder with highs dropping into the 60's instead of the 80's. However, still great convertible weather. White Lake is not far from me. Nice area.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Just fyi, I’m not saying I’m right but Brian doubled down on this yesterday, saying that if the coaching staff had wanted Hunter back this season, he’d be here.
But does that not raise some concern or questions? That the guy that largely started at the position for the better part of the past 3 years is suddenly not wanted back by the staff, at a/the time that there is a pretty glaring need at the position? Like say, it just does not make any sense...and, as such, is incredibly difficult to reconcile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT