ADVERTISEMENT

2022/2023 Team Roster

I think the general consensus is that you need at least 2 NBA guys on the floor to be a FF or NC team. Sure, there are exceptions, but in general, you need at least a couple of guys to be that level of talent. And Purdue had that last year, including a Top 5 pick.
So, did Painter not utilize his talent properly in the tourney? Was he out coached? Fail to adjust?
Yup, agree that last year's team had enough talent.

MP has been very explicit in saying that he wasn't able to get as much out of that team as he should have. To me, that's not only on Matt, players like Tre and Jaden need to be accountable as well, but that's certainly a failure on Matt's end.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
Wrong. You need a lottery, or near lottery-pick guard/wing to win a NC. That's not consensus, that's fact over the last 20 or so years.

Having a top 5 pick doesn't guarantee that spot... good Lord. Markelle Fultz was picked #1 overall and didn't even make the NCAAT, how many UK/Duke guys go in the lottery and they don't make the FF?

I would say stop being dense... but...
Every NC in the last 20 years had a lottery pick? You serious Clark?

Unwad your panties before you burst a blood vessel.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Every NC in the last 20 years had a lottery pick? You serious Clark?

Unwad your panties before you burst a blood vessel.

That's a phrase you have to have at the ready when you get called stupid by nearly everyone?

You didn't even comprehend my post correctly. It must be awesome being you.

That team that lost to Kansas was flat loaded, and, they did not just lose...they got run out of the building.

And, genuinely great coaches have the ability to overcome talent issues.

Purdue may not have been the more talented teams at times, but, it still had talent...enough talent in multiple cases.
That Kansas team had way more NBA talent than we did. Including bought and paid for Josh Jackson.

In fact, we just discussed this back in March:

Post in thread 'SI article'
https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/si-article.228523/post-3411130

Last edited:
We had 3 guys drafted from that team, and another who would later go on to play in the NBA. We weren't lacking talent.
Allow me to cut and paste what I said 7 months ago:

That Kansas team was just more talented than ours. 5 NBA players, and 4 of them are still in the NBA. (No one currently in the NBA from the Purdue team)

That Kansas team was just more talented than ours. 5 NBA players, and 4 of them are still in the NBA. (No one currently in the NBA from the Purdue team)
I was going to suggest we compare number of NBA minutes between those 2 team. Pretty sure it will be massively in favor of Kansas.

Purdue played a superiorly talented Kansas team with Hummel and nearly beat them...should have for that matter.

That Purdue team had way more than enough talent to compete in that game, if not win it...what happened was incredibly disappointing...borderline embarrassing.

Moot point now obviously.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I was going to suggest we compare number of NBA minutes between those 2 team. Pretty sure it will be massively in favor of Kansas.
Purdue played a superiorly talented Kansas team with Hummel and nearly beat them...should have for that matter.

That Purdue team had way more than enough talent to compete in that game, if not win it...what happened was incredibly disappointing...borderline embarrassing.

Moot point now obviously.
Legit NBA players:
Kansas 4
Purdue 0

Kansas was unquestionably far more talented, and also much better compensated.

Legit NBA players:
Kansas 4
Purdue 0

Kansas was unquestionably far more talented, and also much better compensated.
I may be wrong, but, did they not get hammered pretty good in their very next game...Oregon maybe?

That Purdue team was hands down the most talented that Painter has had, and, while Kansas was obviously very talented as you have pointed out, I still am at a loss as to how Purdue was not able to compete in that game.

I may be wrong, but, did they not get hammered pretty good in their very next game...Oregon maybe?

That Purdue team was hands down the most talented that Painter has had, and, while Kansas was obviously very talented as you have pointed out, I still am at a loss as to how Purdue was not able to compete in that game.
That Oregon team had at least 4 legit NBA players also… Dillon Brooks, Pritchard, Dorsey, Bell…they would have smoked us.

We're never going to be the most talented team. Painter simply doesn't recruit well enough. So he's eventually going to have to step up and pull some upsets against a Kansas type team if we ever want to reach a FF/win a championship. Lesser teams never seem to have a problem pulling the upset against Painter...

I think we have been the most talented team in a lot of games. Maybe the more accurate statement would be that we often aren’t the most athletically gifted team when facing certain schools.

Hey.....what about basketball IQ? :D

bully-boo.gif

I think the "IQ" will pay dividends this year compared to some other teams talent, but again time will tell. I am sooooo ready for basketball!
I'll take talent over 'basketball IQ" all day, every day and twice on Sundays. You can have really smart Bball players who know the game, but if their opponent can run, jump and shoot better, it doesn't matter.

I’m honestly not trying to convince you of anything because 1) I don’t care (no offense) 2) I think your mind is pretty made up.

I asked a super simple question, which I think you sort of answered, because to me the skill set that any of those three bring is very different to Eric. Whether you or I understand the full story of what happened with Eric (we don’t and can’t) or agree with the outcome is irrelevant. I can and have given my thoughts on why they may have wanted to go a different direction, none of which relate to Eric not being ‘good enough’ but my thoughts are pure speculation based on trying to read the tea leaves. I actually have no idea.
Not to dredge up an old topic, but, I did get some additional information...there definitely was more to the story.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle of what we had discussed or gone back and forth on. In the end, I think it is fair to say that Eric did not want to return any more than Purdue did not want him to...for several reasons.

Ultimately, it is irrelevant obviously in that he is not here...I am still a little puzzled...on both sides actually...but, the ship has sailed regardless.

Not to dredge up an old topic, but, I did get some additional information...there definitely was more to the story.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle of what we had discussed or gone back and forth on. In the end, I think it is fair to say that Eric did not want to return any more than Purdue did not want him to...for several reasons.

Ultimately, it is irrelevant obviously in that he is not here...I am still a little puzzled...on both sides actually...but, the ship has sailed regardless.
Dude, I like dredging up old topics but don’t come and say that you have more information and then not share it 😉

Dude, I like dredging up old topics but don’t come and say that you have more information and then not share it 😉
Eh, not worth delving into...I just finally had a chance to get some more information on the matter, as, I admittedly was still hung up on the idea that Painter/Purdue did not want him back as it just did not make sense to me (as you know...all too well).

There was more there that I was not aware of...on both sides.

It probably worked out for the best for Hunter, and, it may have even worked out for the best for Purdue...I had a hard time understanding how Purdue would be better off without a known commodity at the position, given the need, but, he had his own thoughts and wishes, and, Purdue/Painter was ok with the idea of his moving on.

Eh, not worth delving into...I just finally had a chance to get some more information on the matter, as, I admittedly was still hung up on the idea that Painter/Purdue did not want him back as it just did not make sense to me (as you know...all too well).

There was more there that I was not aware of...on both sides.

It probably worked out for the best for Hunter, and, it may have even worked out for the best for Purdue...I had a hard time understanding how Purdue would be better off without a known commodity at the position, given the need, but, he had his own thoughts and wishes, and, Purdue/Painter was ok with the idea of his moving on.
Amazing what we don’t know. I do know that Matt Painter thinks Braden Smith is salty af and I’m sure that played a part. Best wishes to EHJ.

Amazing what we don’t know. I do know that Matt Painter thinks Braden Smith is salty af and I’m sure that played a part. Best wishes to EHJ.
I don't know that THAT was a factor, as, Purdue/Painter were still looking for someone at the position at the time and ultimately got Jenkins. If it was, it was a minimal one.

I don't know that THAT was a factor, as, Purdue/Painter were still looking for someone at the position at the time and ultimately got Jenkins. If it was, it was a minimal one.
You could not be more wrong. They were looking for an first team all conference type player in Pack and the Hunter kid from ISU. If you get that level of kid then Smith can play backup minutes. MP had no intention for Braden and Loyer to play backup minutes to EHJ. Jenkins has nothing to do with it, they brought him in as an insurance policy.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, you certainly don't have to agree with me, but if you don't see that Painter's enthusiasm for the freshmen played a major role in how hard he pushed (or didn't push) EHJ to come back it's because you choose not to.

You could not be more wrong. They were looking for an first team all conference type player in Pack and the Hunter kid from ISU. If you get that level of kid then Smith can play backup minutes. MP had no intention for Braden and Loyer to play backup minutes to EHJ. Jenkins has nothing to do with it, they brought him in as an insurance policy.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, you certainly don't have to agree with me, but if you don't see that Painter's enthusiasm for the freshmen played a major role in how hard he pushed (or didn't push) EHJ to come back it's because you choose not to.
How do you know Painter had no intention of Braden or Loyer backing up Hunter?

ADVERTISEMENT