ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson making a splash in the old transfer pool!

Exactly, I'm not sure it was Woodson's coaching vs TJD just being flat out good/great for most of his career. I personally think he played to his recruitment as a player and personally think under a better coach he should've boosted his playing ability to a first round. IMO
Whether Woodson deserves credit or not, TJD's numbers this past year were 21 points, 11 boards, 4 assists, and 3 blocks per game. The idea that a "better coach" would have boosted TJD to something greater than first team AA is laughable.

Exactly right. Edey isn't uniquely talented, but TJD is. That's why a better coach would've/could've gotten more out of TJD. He had potential to develop a mid range shot and I never seen that in his game and that is the knock on Woodson's coaching. TJD was going to be all-B1G without Woodson...so, what did Woodson do for his game that wasn't already established?
The obvious answer is the significant increase in TJD's passing ability out of the post and in transition. How many centers averaged 4 assists a game? Edey does a nice job passing out of the post and averages 1.5 per game. TJD averaged 2 per game as a junior and made that big jump in his senior season. Seems pretty far fetched to assume coaching played no part in his development as a big man distributing the ball.

As for his mid range game. That's like asking why doesn't Edey shoot from the midrange. The answer is because his value is in the post.

I think TJD was great the last third or so of the season. Whether that was a function of Woodson or a function of his nasty letter...or just realizing he needed to step it up to get to where he wanted to go I don't know.
I believe that was largely the function of recovering from a lower back injury. He tried playing with it, then missed games because of it, then trended healthier after missing games.

Reactions: Middawg and tjreese
The obvious answer is the significant increase in TJD's passing ability out of the post and in transition. How many centers averaged 4 assists a game? Edey does a nice job passing out of the post and averages 1.5 per game. TJD averaged 2 per game as a junior and made that big jump in his senior season. Seems pretty far fetched to assume coaching played no part in his development as a big man distributing the ball.

As for his mid range game. That's like asking why doesn't Edey shoot from the midrange. The answer is because his value is in the post.
Not discounting TJD’s passing abilities because he is an excellent passer. But there are two parts to an assist. If Purdue’s shooters would have made more shots I’m sure Zach‘s assists would have been close to TJD’s. IU shot a higher pct. than Purdue.

Reactions: Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT