ADVERTISEMENT

Will team make NCAA tournament

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
I hope team turns it around quickly, cause wins in the Big aren't gonna come easy and not sure Purdue will be in NCAA tournament. Wish team had won those close games.

There isn’t any way this team makes the tournament unless they are 13-7 in Big Ten play. Find at least 4 Big Ten road wins. Ain’t going to happen

Reactions: DAG10
I hope team turns it around quickly, cause wins in the Big aren't gonna come easy and not sure Purdue will be in NCAA tournament. Wish team had won those close games.

If Purdue makes the tournament, they are a team that could knock off a real good team. They shot 9-32 from 3, only went to the line 7 times, and on the road. Meanwhile Texas went buck wild from three and the FT line. Still they took it to the wire and Carsen was a grown man. If Purdue shoots 35%, they win.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
I’ll be the outlier, I think they are fine, watched a lot of Big teams....Michigan is not a fair comparison...we will make the tourney...to date, no bad losses...just a bunch of missed opportunities.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
I always want them to but if they dont maybe we can get a better coach next year. It sounds terrible but something has to change

Reactions: bonefish1
I’ll be the outlier, I think they are fine, watched a lot of Big teams....Michigan is not a fair comparison...we will make the tourney...to date, no bad losses...just a bunch of missed opportunities.
A bunch of missed opportunities will keep them out of the tourney......NO signature wins in non-conf play! they will probably finish no better than .500 in Conf play. That will not get you in the tourney.......Probably looking at about a 17-12 record heading into Big Ten Tourney.

You kinda need a signature win or two to make it. Who's that gonna be? We have zero non-conf signature wins...

Reactions: boilerblake32
missed opportunities are becoming the norm. just not enough offense to get over the hump, IMO. they seem a step slower than most of our competition (except Carsen). better ball movement obviously would go a long way to offset our lack of speed.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
ya.....somet
missed opportunities are becoming the norm. just not enough offense to get over the hump, IMO. they seem a step slower than most of our competition (except Carsen). better ball movement obviously would go a long way to offset our lack of speed.
YA.....anything is better than the front court weave we continue to run.....Painter needs to look at game film of MICH on ball movement and spacing...

You kinda need a signature win or two to make it. Who's that gonna be? We have zero non-conf signature wins...
Still got ND on the schedule next weekend.

And half of the Big Ten is ranked it seems like. So plenty of opportunities for quality wins at home too. Going .500 in league play + a ND win might earn an invite this year.

Last edited:
A bunch of missed opportunities will keep them out of the tourney......NO signature wins in non-conf play! they will probably finish no better than .500 in Conf play. That will not get you in the tourney.......Probably looking at about a 17-12 record heading into Big Ten Tourney.

any other year, maybe. But the Big is packed with ranked teams. Plenty of opportunities. A win over Maryland at least gives them one top 25 team. Having a contender for the national player of the year will give them the edge if they end up on the bubble.

ND is not a "signature" win. Sorry.
If ND doesn’t count, then you could’ve posted the same thing 5 days ago because Texas wouldn’t be a real signature win either. I’d argue a neutral site W against ND is better than a road win at Texas. But yes, ND is not “signature” if by that you mean “top 15” quality.

Reactions: purduepat1969
If ND doesn’t count, then you could’ve posted the same thing 5 days ago because Texas wouldn’t be a real signature win either. I’d argue a neutral site W against ND is better than a road win at Texas. But yes, ND is not “signature” if by that you mean “top 15” quality.
@ Texas would be a Q1 win. Notre Dame neutral court is Q2 at best.

Still got ND on the schedule next weekend.

And half of the Big Ten is ranked it seems like. So plenty of opportunities for quality wins at home too. Going .500 in league play + a ND win might earn an invite this year.
ND ......not a signature win.....they are not that good this year and probably wont make tourney this year either......Our conference is well balanced...but as time goes on....maybe 4 teams will be ranked by season end......500 in conf play will not get us a bid...

If Purdue makes the tournament, they are a team that could knock off a real good team. They shot 9-32 from 3, only went to the line 7 times, and on the road. Meanwhile Texas went buck wild from three and the FT line. Still they took it to the wire and Carsen was a grown man. If Purdue shoots 35%, they win.
UT went 93.8% from the line. Their team average this season is 65%. Not gonna see that kind of differential again this season.

If there are a bunch of ranked teams to beat in conference, show me where Purdue has shown an ability to win those games this year....

At this point in time you are what your record says you are...and Purdue is 6-4. That’s not going to cut it when there are likely 7-8 teams that would beat Texas right now (MSU, UM, IU, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, PSU, Maryland, and OSU). Texas likely finishes mid pack in a weak Big 12 imo. They won’t finish ahead of Kansas, TT, TCU, WVU, or Kansas St...

Sorry, but this team doesn’t look like an NCAA team at this point and the season is 1/3 of the way over.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think it’s kind of odd that, according to this board, every time Purdue loses a game it’s because the other team does something it won’t do again that season. Tonight it’s Texas’ free throw shooting, other times it’s players who don’t score having their career games, “they ran into a buzzsaw”, it was finals week, or some another anomaly. It’s weird, Purdue always catches teams at the wrong time otherwise they’d be undefeated.

I think it’s kind of odd that, according to this board, every time Purdue loses a game it’s because the other team does something it won’t do again that season. Tonight it’s Texas’ free throw shooting, other times it’s players who don’t score having their career games, “they ran into a buzzsaw”, it was finals week, or some another anomaly. It’s weird, Purdue always catches teams at the wrong time otherwise they’d be undefeated.

Good teams win games and play with consistency. Texas was easily beatable with contributions from someone other than Carsen. This is not a good team.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
If Purdue can’t beat a Texas or FSU team on the road...where can they win on the road in conference that would lead to an NCAA bid? These are honest questions I am having a tough time answering right now...

1-1 currently with the next 11 games being:

#18 Iowa
@ #10 MSU
@ #12 Wisconsin
Rutgers
Indiana
@ #19 OSU
#10 MSU
@PSU.
Minny
#24 Nebraska
@ #23 Maryland

Right now, where would you put Purdue’s conference record at? I’d be optimistic at 5-8

Not trying to bash players but I’ve been pretty disappointed with point guard play...what’s up with Hunter? I really expected a lot more from him! it’s like he’s scared to shoot when he’s open and never creates for himself off the dribble and that has carried over to his piss poor defense with keeping his guy in front of him and for Eastern, his defensive is great but when it comes to anything else......I won’t even go there because he’ll be the first person to tell you he can do a lot better! Seems like the only way this team stands a chance is when everyone is clicking on defense and hitting the shots they are suppose to hit because when we’re not our help side defense/switching has been horrible with leaving WIDE OPEN 3s!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I've said before. This year's Team is the same as Big Dog's First year. He averaged around 24 a game and I don't believe anyone else averaged double figures. He also had a ton of TOs. We were an 8/9 seed and lost to mighty rhode island in the First round. The difference with that Team is the best player returned the following year. Don't see that happening.

On another note, Haarms at least gave us somewhat of a threat. Looks to be staying somewhat aggressive. Still can't stand how the ball slips through his figures though.

Not trying to bash players but I’ve been pretty disappointed with point guard play...what’s up with Hunter? I really expected a lot more from him! it’s like he’s scared to shoot when he’s open and never creates for himself off the dribble and that has carried over to his piss poor defense with keeping his guy in front of him and for Eastern, his defensive is great but when it comes to anything else......I won’t even go there because he’ll be the first person to tell you he can do a lot better! Seems like the only way this team stands a chance is when everyone is clicking on defense and hitting the shots they are suppose to hit because when we’re not our help side defense/switching has been horrible with leaving WIDE OPEN 3s!
nojel isn’t playing well he need time away from basketball to get his mind right good thing they have a break coming up soon hopefully being home he can find himself again.

nojel isn’t playing well he need time away from basketball to get his mind right good thing they have a break coming up soon hopefully being home he can find himself again.

Isn't he doing what his role is on the team? Be the stopper on D and rebound and get some "garbage buckets"? He wasnt expected to score a bunch for this team just do what i stated. And get away from basketball its a month into the season. I know he is your son but you always state things like they need to run plays for him and he will show everyone. Im not knocking your son but your excuses just dont make sense along with you constantly bringing up Michigan's offense.

The kid has all the physical tools in the world to do it...he knows it, you know it, other people know it and I think that’s why people are frustrated because this team is better than their record shows. Nojel showed it a little tonight too by being aggressive towards the hoop (need more of that). He just needs play the game he loves to the level that got him here while having fun without putting pressure on himself and that goes for everyone else on the team! I know it sounds easier said than done but having fun = less pressure!

Isn't he doing what his role is on the team? Be the stopper on D and rebound and get some "garbage buckets"? He wasnt expected to score a bunch for this team just do what i stated. And get away from basketball its a month into the season. I know he is your son but you always state things like they need to run plays for him and he will show everyone. Im not knocking your son but your excuses just dont make sense along with you constantly bringing up Michigan's offense.
I’m not gonna respond bcuz I stand on what I say, good day sir you want a debate I’m not going there. He needs time away period that is all

The kid has all the physical tools in the world to do it...he knows it, you know it, other people know it and I think that’s why people are frustrated because this team is better than their record shows. Nojel showed it a little tonight too by being aggressive towards the hoop (need more of that). He just needs play the game he loves to the level that got him here while having fun without putting pressure on himself and that goes for everyone else on the team! I know it sounds easier said than done but having fun = less pressure!
Agreed which is all the more reasons he needs time off to find his identity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT