ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rondale Come Back??

We didn't get to enjoy him as long as we like, as Big Ten fans, but to obtain a degree and move onto NFL, as he plans, is impressive.

He is a professional, with a great head on his shoulders.

Only time will tell, if his plan bears fruit.

Good luck, I hope he finds success in NFL!

His average receiving yards per game were fairly similar but his average catches per game and touchdowns per game were both down (1.5 and 0.5 per game, respectively) and his drops were up. Of course, part of that was teams having a season of tape and defending him differently and having put up great stats his freshman year, but the trend was down and annualized for the remaining 8 games would have resulted in a meaningful decline (e.g. 12 TDs v 6 TDs and ~10% reduction in catches). So, yes, his numbers were down. Sample size is small so it potentially skews the outcome, but he mostly missed B1G season where competition would have been better and with injuries QB play dropped off in the back half of the year so it is reasonable to assume the numbers were not going to make a huge leap.
This is just not a very good post. 1st , Moore was hurt early in game 4. Wasn’t able to put stats up in that game. So to base his averages on the year on 4 games is a bit disingenuous. And you probably should check your facts. He had his biggest games in 2018 vs BIG competition (NW, OSU, IU and etc). So again to say his numbers would of dropped during BIG play is WRONG. There is another error in your post. QB play actually got better as the season progressed just ask David Bell. You really think he plays a full season and ends up with only 6 TDs? Common man seriously !! LOL.

This is just not a very good post. 1st , Moore was hurt early in game 4. Wasn’t able to put stats up in that game. So to base his averages on the year on 4 games is a bit disingenuous. And you probably should check your facts. He had his biggest games in 2018 vs BIG competition (NW, OSU, IU and etc). So again to say his numbers would of dropped during BIG play is WRONG. There is another error in your post. QB play actually got better as the season progressed just ask David Bell. You really think he plays a full season and ends up with only 6 TDs? Common man seriously !! LOL.
I would disagree that QB play picked up in the 2nd half. iirc, Plummer generally had to play against better defenses than AOC did.

I want to start off by reiterating that Rondale not returning for you guys is a loss to college football fans writ large. It's just a double-tough hit for you guys because you not only get to see electricity on the field, but it gets to directly affect your team's fortunes.

Whether he comes back for this fall really just comes down to his level of risk aversion. Could he come back, go gangbusters, and get top 10 pick money? Sure. It's nice work if you can find it. Could he also come back, suffer some fluke injury and get 4th round money? Sure, still not a bad paycheck. Could he come back, suffer a career ender and get no money? Sure, and best wishes on future endeavors.

If I'm his parents, I'm telling him to cash in if he's got that mid to late 1st round projection. It's a year where people in his position can pack it in and probably not suffer too much in the draft.(**footnote)

I would compare it to the Scottie Pippen contract highlight in The Last Dance. He was offered a long term lower pay contract that he took against his agent's advice. Where the agent felt he should take a shorter term contract & cash in when it was over. Scottie took the sure thing and ended up being unhappy with where he was on the pay scale at the end of it. But Scottie was being risk averse. He got a boatload of money still that was guaranteed. And to do so he gave up the opportunity of staying healthy/productive and getting 10 boat loads, but he also mitigated the risk of getting hurt and only getting that short term money.

Rondale is presumably in a similar situation. He can take his NFL chances (which are never a sure thing for even the highest rated college players) with 1st round money, even possibly not pan out, and still retire rich at 25. Or he could roll the dice, maybe do better, maybe do worse, but it's an unknown.

In the words of Jay-Z, "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man." Rondale Moore is in the business of Rondale Moore and he needs to do what he feels is best for his life, whether or not that life involves a lengthy NFL career.

**Footnote: I do wonder whether kids that opt out of the NCAA season will face locker room blowback once they reach the NFL. I can see there being some hard feelings or questioning of toughness among the veterans in the locker room; I have no evidence of it, it's just a gut feeling.

Rashod Bateman is now trying to come back too but he already signed an agent and will require an NCAA waiver. Going to be a wild month or so.

Rashod Bateman is now trying to come back too but he already signed an agent and will require an NCAA waiver. Going to be a wild month or so.

Bateman has a lot more to lose than Rondale by coming back. He'll be a first or second round draft pick regardless of whether he plays or not. And he doesn't have much to gain, from a draft perspective, by playing. Rondale, on the other hand, does.

Bateman has a lot more to lose than Rondale by coming back. He'll be a first or second round draft pick regardless of whether he plays or not. And he doesn't have much to gain, from a draft perspective, by playing. Rondale, on the other hand, does.

Not sure 1 way or the other, but it seems guys come out of nowhere and jump up the draft boards every year. That's why I dont think sitting out 3rd years will ever become a trend for college football.

Not sure 1 way or the other, but it seems guys come out of nowhere and jump up the draft boards every year. That's why I dont think sitting out 3rd years will ever become a trend for college football.
I was entirely supportive of the decisions to opt out, but now with the current situation and everyone opting back in, it’s a bad look to sit out.

I was entirely supportive of the decisions to opt out, but now with the current situation and everyone opting back in, it’s a bad look to sit out.
Yeah, I actually think the pressure will be on Rondale to come back and play. It'll look bad after Wade at OSU and Bateman at Minny have decided to opt back in. He needs to come back to play for his 2nd/3rd year (second year was only 3 games).

is rondale still enrolled at purdue and does this matter concerning opting back in?

I support Moore either way. We dont know all that went into his decision. I think we're good no matter what with what we have in the WR room.

Reactions: Inspector100
I agree with the last post, if he stays I think he falls in the draft because if you sit out almost 2 years and the initial reason you sat out was because of injury. How do NFL GMs know you will handle game day and game time pressure and contact?

Perhaps “just getting drafted and getting the chance to make a roster“ is what matters to him because maybe he believes that his skill set will give him the opportunity to be a star in the NFL.

But it really will probably cost him a lot of “guaranteed money and signing bonus” so that may be the advice he gets is to play this season so that he has a solid first round draft choice and picks up much more guaranteed money in the event that he gets hurt. Hurt in the NFL that is

I support his decision whether to return or stay out. My only concern if he did return was that he was actually enrolled at Purdue. And it appears he is! As some have pointed out, it’s much harder to elevate your game to a higher level once teams have played against you and reviewed the tapes and know how to defend you. If Rondale can improve on his freshman year, he is deserving of being a first round pick. I know mfl scouts would love to see him in live competition before the draft! Not every nfl team based their draft solely on the nfl combine results

Just some additional things on Rondale. There is not much new in this article. I did find this quote interesting though.

If Moore continues to train for the pros, where could he be selected in the April 29-May 1 2021 NFL draft?

“My gut feeling says he's probably an early two, maybe a late one,” said the NFL scout.

Any knocks on Moore?

“His lack of size, length and not having a distinct position for the NFL will create some questions marks,” the NFL personnel executive said.

I don't know who this NFL scout is. He is probably the same one that thought the Colts should select Leaf over Manning years ago. They are knocking his size of course. That is to be expected. That is why Rivals only had him as a 3 star, but not a distinct position question. The NFL is still using slot receivers and kickoff returners if I remember right. Love to know what team this person is a scout for.

Reactions: Purdue85
Just some additional things on Rondale. There is not much new in this article. I did find this quote interesting though.

If Moore continues to train for the pros, where could he be selected in the April 29-May 1 2021 NFL draft?

“My gut feeling says he's probably an early two, maybe a late one,” said the NFL scout.

Any knocks on Moore?

“His lack of size, length and not having a distinct position for the NFL will create some questions marks,” the NFL personnel executive said.

I don't know who this NFL scout is. He is probably the same one that thought the Colts should select Leaf over Manning years ago. They are knocking his size of course. That is to be expected. That is why Rivals only had him as a 3 star, but not a distinct position question. The NFL is still using slot receivers and kickoff returners if I remember right. Love to know what team this person is a scout for.

In fairness, there were a LOT of people scratching their heads over the Leaf/Manning pick, and which to take.

Just stop and think, that Michael Jordan was the 3rd pick in the NBA draft... or that Larry Bird went 6th...!

Your/our advantage is you/we have hindsight!

Reactions: Poprudy and njm8845
In fairness, there were a LOT of people scratching their heads over the Leaf/Manning pick, and which to take.

Just stop and think, that Michael Jordan was the 3rd pick in the NBA draft... or that Larry Bird went 6th...!

Your/our advantage is you/we have hindsight!
You could consider it 6th in 1978 when he was drafted or as coming in ahead of the #1 pick in 1979 when he actually came into the NBA.

Red Auerbach was a genius.....drafting a kid when he wasn't even coming into the NBA for year.

This is awesome... This duo at receiver will be incredible this year. Awesome that Moore is back in, will allow Bell to get 1 on 1 all the time. I guess this is relevant againt. Our dynamic duo of receivers is UP THERE...

I'd rather see them both on the same side some to be honest.

last years starting lineup had Sparks on the left, Anderson on the right (or maybe I have that backwards) with Moore in the slot. This year I predict Bell on the right with Moore in the slot...someone between Sparks, Anderson, Wright, Carr etc on the left

Can't wait to see him make some of those Walter Payton dead leg moves. Great stuff happens when he has the ball. 3 minute mark even Herbie was excited.

Oh HELL yeah!!!
I haven’t been on here all day but just got a funny feeling I needed to check in for this exact reason...

Best WR core in the B1G and possibly the country. Don't sleep on the D as well....Neal is going to make GK and Barnes better...and that's scary.

Reactions: Purdue85
Time for us to make some noise this football season. Basketball on grass 2.0 getting ready to start!!

BT secondary coaches going to be developing ulcers on thinking how they are going to stop our WR corp!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT