ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Walters first year is done - your thoughts?

If Walters is good with the play calling, is it just execution? Purdue averaged 23.9 ppg in 2023, 6th in the BIG (26.6 ppg in 2022, 6th in the BIG). How many points did the special teams miss out on this year? 13 points or more brings the avg up to 25 ppg.

Defensively, 30.3 ppg in 2023 LAST IN THE BIG. In 2022, 24.6 ppg.

Yes the offense left a lot of points on the field, but the defense was horrid.

100%. If he was truly a defensive savant, he would have used his system but schemed it up for the players he had. For the most part, he stubbornly refused. Adjust or lose.

Good observation. I agree wins will be harder with the +4 and division less football. (The WEST was so winnable!) I would say 7 wins before a bowl would be a pretty good season.
The players he had who blew games weren’t good in the 4-2-5 either. Disagree? Give me a name and we will check the pff. Sanoussi Kane had one of the worst coverage grades in america in 2022. Cam Allen’s tackling was rated 29.7. Oc brothers in 2022 got a 40.6. Purdue didn’t have a single defender returning who got more than 70 per pff in 2022

This season was slightly better than I expected. Several on here disagreed with me, but here we are.

Was thinking the opposite, but I realize my error in the evaluation.

I was right in the schedule - it was difficult in the fact that there were no easy games, but outside of OSU and Michigan (and I will throw in Wisconsin until we actually beat them), every game was against a team Purdue could beat.

I was wrong in the defense, our pass rush was pretty good but our total lack of speed at LB hurt and not having more than 2 or 3 DBs who were decent hurt as well.

OL was not as good as I was hoping for either, injuries derailed it a bit (again). Card, who played behind an excellent OL at Texas, did not handle pressure well. He did get better at it later in the year and the OL
started to play better as well.

Basically there were a lot of new faces to the program and I should have not assumed a smooth start to the year, but did. I would say it's a C+.

Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington. You do the math. We will always be hoping to beat the rest. This is reality, we are not armed for this fight probably never.

According to some on here Purdue hasn’t ever and won’t ever have a good football team, to me if Purdue gets the right coach and he stays long term, Purdue will have a good team . Gets old reading comments that Purdue is never good in Football. Might as well scrap the program according to some.

If Walters is good with the play calling, is it just execution? Purdue averaged 23.9 ppg in 2023, 6th in the BIG (26.6 ppg in 2022, 6th in the BIG). How many points did the special teams miss out on this year? 13 points or more brings the avg up to 25 ppg.

Defensively, 30.3 ppg in 2023 LAST IN THE BIG. In 2022, 24.6 ppg.

Yes the offense left a lot of points on the field, but the defense was horrid.

100%. If he was truly a defensive savant, he would have used his system but schemed it up for the players he had. For the most part, he stubbornly refused. Adjust or lose.

Good observation. I agree wins will be harder with the +4 and division less football. (The WEST was so winnable!) I would say 7 wins before a bowl would be a pretty good season.
I don't think Walters was calling the offensive plays. That would be Harrell. Our defense kept us in a bunch of games honestly.

Actually that’s all Brohm needed! Brohm recruited high school players, signed a few jucos, Signed a few transfers, And transformed Hazell’s team into a Bowl Game winner in his first year at Purdue!

The days of we need to give a coach 4 years to build a program are OVER!

WAlters should be able to sign 15 transfers via the portal with experience to fill any hole on his roster. If he can build a winner in 2 years, he never will.
Brohm inherited from Hazell,
An NFL QB, a second near NFL QB, two very good running backs, multiple future NFL or near NFL players on defense, a future NFL TE, and quality at WR. What Brohm did was bring in better players on the oline which was definitely needed and he coaching and coaching schemes that were light years better than what Hazell did. JUST like Tiller, he walked into a team with talent to go to a bowl game but poor coaching and scheming. He also poached some of his best talent from his prior team which certainly helped, especially on the oline.

Walters inherited nothing at QB and had to go find one last minute, turned a WR into our best performing RB, quite frankly had very little at WR, oline and on defense. Now, since he wasn't a head coach coming from another school, he couldn't poach his best players to follow him over.

The deification and rewriting of history over Brohm is hilarious.

Reactions: krf3632 and z_one
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT