ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rondale Come Back??

I know it is highly unlikely, but how great would it be to see Rondale come back. Sounds like Bhrom is going to talk to him about his plans and see if he will think about it.

Most of us thought a Fall Season was done, and look what happened. Maybe Rondale will decide to play. We can dream can't we??!!

In the ESPN article they mention Him as a possibly trying to get a waiver. “So you say there’s a chance “. LOL

Reactions: bonefish1
If his only reason for opting out was due to Covid concerns there’s no reason not to play at this point. Big 10 football players are going to be among the most protected people on the planet this fall.

Why would he have to get a waiver? He's still on scholarship, they haven't filled it with someone else to the best of my knowledge. He's just choosing not to play.

But I can't see him returning.

Why would he have to get a waiver? He's still on scholarship, they haven't filled it with someone else to the best of my knowledge. He's just choosing not to play.

But I can't see him returning.
Guessing he may have hired an agent

Would it be permissible for a bunch of Purdue supporters to pledge money to a charity if Rondale returns for another season?

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
One injury, one missed game could cost him millions. As much as I'd love to see him play I think he should stick with his plan.

Its not a question of fragility, but one of risk. He's risking millions of dollars if he plays. Of course, there is a significant risk if he doesn't because his stock could slide, but the risks in playing are greater.

Reactions: DGJRieman
I know it is highly unlikely, but how great would it be to see Rondale come back. Sounds like Bhrom is going to talk to him about his plans and see if he will think about it.

Most of us thought a Fall Season was done, and look what happened. Maybe Rondale will decide to play. We can dream can't we??!!

With these guys it's not about team, but it is about the money. He won't be back.

Pretty sure he has to be enrolled in classes this semester since he's planning to graduate in 2.5 years. Deinhart's article today did say that he's training in Louisville, so maybe all his classes are remote.

Normally in these situations, I emphatically say “go get your money”. But by the draft he won’t have played in 1.5 years.

If I was an NFL team, I’d want to see him play in an actual game before giving him millions. Prove he’s healthy. It’s quite different than posting eye popping combine numbers.

Reactions: purduepat1969
There was an article a while back out of Louisville in which Moore worked out his remaining classes with his professors and he'd be able to complete them remotely.

The guy is all business, which I can appreciate. I've maintained his main (or 1 of them) worry was/has been/is whether or not the season will actually be played out. In a scenario in which he'd have to be quarantined, can he accept not working out for 2-3 weeks or longer if he had to be quarantined again? I dont know the answer to that, but it seems like any disruption to Moore's approach isnt going to fly well with him.

I do think with the fall season, other leagues having success, more&better testing, brings Moore and others in his situation back to or at least closer to coming back.

With an outstanding year, Moore could move up in draft potentially passing up those who opted out.

I might regret saying this as a college football fan i would love to see him play as a Hoosier fan I will not miss him. He is a great player and would be awesome to see him and Bell on the field at the same time. Maybe not in Bloomington.

I would have loved to see the two Moores playing together along with Bell as receivers. Imagine having to cover all of them!

I would say it's 70% likely he won't be back, unless he believes he needs to prove he's past his injury and show he's not fragile. That alone could mean $ millions. I would say one of the main reasons he decided not to play originally was due to a spring season and the timing of the draft not making it worthwhile. Now it might be more interesting for him to play. Remember, he didn't opt out until the season got postponed, likely until spring.

Reactions: neiln820
Most projections I have seen have him as a late first rounder. If he comes back and leads Purdue to a conference championship or has another magical year, I could see his draft stock rising, which means more $$$ not less. Shortened season, great opportunity for stats, etc. would make the case for him coming back.

Most projections I have seen have him as a late first rounder. If he comes back and leads Purdue to a conference championship or has another magical year, I could see his draft stock rising, which means more $$$ not less. Shortened season, great opportunity for stats, etc. would make the case for him coming back.
What if he has another injury, will that make his stock go up or down????

What if he has another injury, will that make his stock go up or down????

Also, before his injury, Rondale's stats were on pace to be worse than his freshman year. If you are getting a late first round grade based on one year and four games, you would be silly to come back in this disjointed season where even teams who have had a more traditional off-season than teams in the B1G have looked disjointed to start the season. If he was grading out as a 3-4 rounder, okay, take the risk and play, but he realistically has more room to go down than up and with the NFL's slotting system and new rookie scale, unless he jumps to the very top of the draft the difference is not going to be that material if he has a successful pro career. Plus, keep in mind there was something a bit strange with Brohm saying he might play pretty much every week toward the end of the season and him not coming back. Sure, some of that is psy-ops but after a couple times it looses its value. I think Rondale likely held himself out last year to avoid injury when we were not really going anywhere. If that is the case, hard to see him take the same risk in this environment. Covid just gave him a reason to bounce on the season that he would not have had without it.

One injury, one missed game could cost him millions. As much as I'd love to see him play I think he should stick with his plan.
When did the conversation shift to injury risk? His stated reason for opting out was due to Covid concerns. If we're talking injury risk, why would ANY highly rated draft prospect, in ANY season return to play? With only 9 games, there is actually less injury risk for him than anyone in last year's draft class who chose to play.

Reactions: Purdue85
When did the conversation shift to injury risk? His stated reason for opting out was due to Covid concerns. If we're talking injury risk, why would ANY highly rated draft prospect, in ANY season return to play? With only 9 games, there is actually less injury risk for him than anyone in last year's draft class who chose to play.

In a normal season, I am sure plenty of highly rated prospects would sit out and wait to get paid if they could get away with it (obviously not everyone), but without Covid or some other really good reason it would almost certainly hurt their draft stock. Not saying sitting out this year for Covid will not, but it at least gives a much more plausible reason. Plus, Rondale's second season looked like it was going to have less eye popping stats than his freshman year, and the NFL is known for picking guys apart and falling in love with combine guys that have not shown on tape. I'd love to see him play, but as focused as he has been on getting to the NFL since day 1 on campus I don't expect him to if he is going to be a first rounder without playing.

I would say it's 70% likely he won't be back, unless he believes he needs to prove he's past his injury and show he's not fragile. That alone could mean $ millions. I would say one of the main reasons he decided not to play originally was due to a spring season and the timing of the draft not making it worthwhile. Now it might be more interesting for him to play. Remember, he didn't opt out until the season got postponed, likely until spring.

He made the announcement August 6, a day after the B1G announced a 10-game conference season for the fall. The postponement didn't come until the 11th. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall though.

He made the announcement August 6, a day after the B1G announced a 10-game conference season for the fall. The postponement didn't come until the 11th. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall though.
Yeah, you're right, I missed that. I still think COVID was his reasoning though.

Some things I saw on this thread which I thought I'd make mention of:

1) Moore opted out before the postponement.

2) Moore's catches and Rec yards were greater thru 3 games in 2019 vs 2018. He was hurt early in the 4th game.

3) if he stays out, he will not have played a game in ~22 months (hurt on 9/28). That is a long time without a game. Not a scout, but that would concern me. Unless he gets hurt, I dont see how he wouldn't move up in the draft. Hes been spectacular. 8-10 games this year with some highlight reel plays, could see him being top 15, top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder

2) Moore's catches and Rec yards were greater thru 3 games in 2019 vs 2018. He was hurt early in the 4th game.

3) if he stays out, he will not have played a game in ~22 months (hurt on 9/28). That is a long time without a game. Not a scout, but that would concern me. Unless he gets hurt, I dont see how he wouldn't move up in the draft. Hes been spectacular. 8-10 games with some highlight reel plays, could see him being top 15, top 10.
With him not playing a game for nearly two years, I’d be very surprised if he is picked in the first round. Hopefully you turn out to be right, but sitting out will not help him IMO.

With him not playing a game for nearly two years, I’d be very surprised if he is picked in the first round. Hopefully you turn out to be right, but sitting out will not help him IMO.

I meant 8-10 games this year. Sorry, that wasnt very clear in my post.

Also, before his injury, Rondale's stats were on pace to be worse than his freshman year. If you are getting a late first round grade based on one year and four games, you would be silly to come back in this disjointed season where even teams who have had a more traditional off-season than teams in the B1G have looked disjointed to start the season. If he was grading out as a 3-4 rounder, okay, take the risk and play, but he realistically has more room to go down than up and with the NFL's slotting system and new rookie scale, unless he jumps to the very top of the draft the difference is not going to be that material if he has a successful pro career. Plus, keep in mind there was something a bit strange with Brohm saying he might play pretty much every week toward the end of the season and him not coming back. Sure, some of that is psy-ops but after a couple times it looses its value. I think Rondale likely held himself out last year to avoid injury when we were not really going anywhere. If that is the case, hard to see him take the same risk in this environment. Covid just gave him a reason to bounce on the season that he would not have had without it.
His stats were actually on pace to be the same or better than his freshman year. He was already close to 400 receiving yards before the injury, and had a 13.2 yrd avg per catch, which was over 2 yards more than freshman than his freshman year. I believe he was top 5 in the nation in a few receiving categories too.

3) if he stays out, he will not have played a game in ~22 months (hurt on 9/28). That is a long time without a game. Not a scout, but that would concern me. Unless he gets hurt, I dont see how he wouldn't move up in the draft. Hes been spectacular. 8-10 games this year with some highlight reel plays, could see him being top 15, top 10.

I’m convinced Moore caught wind cancellation and that’s why he opted out.

i hadnt heard about wade back in.... I would think the more high profile players do that, the more likely Moore will as well.

His stats were actually on pace to be the same or better than his freshman year. He was already close to 400 receiving yards before the injury, and had a 13.2 yrd avg per catch, which was over 2 yards more than freshman than his freshman year. I believe he was top 5 in the nation in a few receiving categories too.

His average receiving yards per game were fairly similar but his average catches per game and touchdowns per game were both down (1.5 and 0.5 per game, respectively) and his drops were up. Of course, part of that was teams having a season of tape and defending him differently and having put up great stats his freshman year, but the trend was down and annualized for the remaining 8 games would have resulted in a meaningful decline (e.g. 12 TDs v 6 TDs and ~10% reduction in catches). So, yes, his numbers were down. Sample size is small so it potentially skews the outcome, but he mostly missed B1G season where competition would have been better and with injuries QB play dropped off in the back half of the year so it is reasonable to assume the numbers were not going to make a huge leap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT