ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Walters first year is done - your thoughts?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I said it before and will say it again, I like Walter's youth and energy, but you can't fix his inexperience overnight.

Purdue should find a retired high-quality coach to mentor CW. I think some of these older coaches would enjoy the opportunity to come along side younger coaches, get back into the heady side of coaching, and teach.

CW has earned the opportunity to get his players in his system but will need to produce better results next year, or he can start to think about hanging out with Mr. Allen.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: DavidL and tenwest
I said it before and will say it again, I like Walter's youth and energy, but you can't fix his inexperience overnight.

Purdue should find a retired high-quality coach to mentor CW. I think some of these older coaches would enjoy the opportunity to come along side younger coaches, get back into the heady side of coaching, and teach.

CW has earned the opportunity to get his players in his system but will need to produce better results next year, or he can start to think about hanging out with Mr. Allen.

Your thoughts?
I wish we had a cream puff OOC schedule. 1 FCS and 2 low G5 would have us at 6-6 (3-5) and bowling - all else equal, of course.

Totally changes the feel of the year if that had been the case. 20-20 hindsight.

I would probably give Walters a C for his first year ---- definitely not great, but far from a Hazell-level disaster.

I said 5-7 based on talent lost, the challenging schedule, and a first-time head coach with a completely new staff. So, I guess I can't be too upset.

Early losses to Fresno and Syracuse were disappointing, though I think we have to give a new staff time to find their footing. October losses to Iowa and Nebraska were disappointing because the team simply didn't execute well. The team played better down the stretch (against more manageable opposition) but still dropped a winnable game against Northwestern.

I applaud Walters's commitment to the running game, something Brohm was either unable or uninterested in doing. I also think there's quality individual talent on the defense. Not to belabor the obvious, but the kicking game needs an immediate upgrade.

I wish we had a cream puff OOC schedule. 1 FCS and 2 low G5 would have us at 6-6 (3-5) and bowling - all else equal, of course.

Totally changes the feel of the year if that had been the case. 20-20 hindsight.
I'm not sure about the schedule. Believe it or not, Purdue has a losing record against G5 teams since Tiller retired in 2008. Laying eggs in September against manageable opposition has been a disappointingly consistent feature of this program for a decade and a half.

The season is over. I'll reserve my thoughts til we've had one more year of this staff.

In game coaching left me scatching my head head quite few times throughout the season. He also doubled down on Harrell's playcalling in several press conferences, which seemed perplexing. I'll chalk this up to CRW being a first time head coach and Purdue probably not having as much talent as my biased view led me to believe (not at all saying cupboard was bare).

With the aforementioned out of the way, it seems pretty obvious imo a lot of guys enjoy playing for him. Thought he did a fantastic job maximizing Jenkins, Scourton, and Theniman's talent. CRW is going to get guys to the League on the defensive side of the ball.

Seems to be a big uptick in recruiting (ar least compared to Brohms last couple of years).

Though I'm not high on our offense, I think overall I'm optimistic headed into next year.

Reactions: z_one and rgarlitz
I think overall it's probably ten percent less than I'd have expected with a first year coach and our talent level.

So I'm not happy but also not massively upset either.

Some good things, some not so good things.

But I'm not sure how that's not almost guaranteed with a first time and extremely young head coach.

You don't hire such a coach because they have everything on lock and will come out maximizing and getting it all right from the start.

You hire them because you hope they will grow into a good coach and you won't have to worry about them leaving to an alma mater or at the first sign of success usually, and yes they come cheap to start.

So, like others, I reserve my judgment until I see another season.

I'm not sure about the schedule. Believe it or not, Purdue has a losing record against G5 teams since Tiller retired in 2008. Laying eggs in September against manageable opposition has been a disappointingly consistent feature of this program for a decade and a half.
This is true. We have been a prime opportunity for any G5 with a pulse. Brohm losing to EMU and Nevada, Hazel getting obliterated by NIU along with Fresno this year were soul crushing.

But I mean absolute creampuff. Like Indiana state, UCONN, Ball State, UMASS. Ones that are pretty much DOA.

It isn't the way to build a program for the long term, but in hindsight would have been nice to ease in a first year HC like Walters.

In game coaching left me scatching my head head quite few times throughout the season. He also doubled down on Harrell's playcalling in several press conferences, which seemed perplexing. I'll chalk this up to CRW being a first time head coach and Purdue probably not having as much talent as my biased view led me to believe (not at all saying cupboard was bare).

With the aforementioned out of the way, it seems pretty obvious imo a lot of guys enjoy playing for him. Thought he did a fantastic job maximizing Jenkins, Scourton, and Theniman's talent. CRW is going to get guys to the League on the defensive side of the ball.

Seems to be a big uptick in recruiting (ar least compared to Brohms last couple of years).

Though I'm not high on our offense, I think overall I'm optimistic headed into next year.
That's about what I'm thinking. Some squandered chances; some interesting play calls. Hopefully, those are just the growing pains of a first-time head coach. Recruiting seems up. I guess we'll see.

I'd have to say I'm neither encouraged nor discouraged. Right in the middle. There were several head-scratching moments. But we had a good finish to the season. Could have won the NW game with Card the way he played his last 2 games. The schedule, loss of 5+ really key guys, and a brand new staff was going to result in a sub-.500 record.

Next year will be important. Does Walters improve in situational football? Can he squeeze out a win that he shouldn't? I hold judgement for another year.

you won't have to worry about them leaving to an alma mater
Agree with your post, this does make me a little queasy thinking about Prime either hitting the wall quickly or moving on to bigger and better things if he succeeds (it's one or the other, IMO) and the "Call of Colorado" coming back for coach.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I guess ultimately I am disappointed because I believe a bowl game was there for the taking this year. Offensively we left a ton of meat on the bone.

Having said that there are positives. Defensively we got better as the year progressed. This is as good a pass rush as I have seen at Purdue. I thought we got better in coverage as well although we still gave up key plays to slot receivers and quick backs trying to cover them with Allen and Kane. Walters finding his type of guys hopefully fixes this going forward. I though Karlaftis was coming into his own by the end of the year as well.

Offensively Card looked more decisive running the ball his last couple starts. Our running game was good other than in short yardage situations. Considering the injuries I was pleased with the Oline especially in the run game. TE seems to be a bright spot.

Special teams were anything but special. Lot of improvement needed here.

Like I said, overall disappointed but there are some reasons to be hopeful. Keep this good recruiting class together, plug some key holes with transfers, and lets get back into a bowl game for next year! Boiler up!

Your thoughts?
You want an old guy to tell Walters you need straight up mfing cash to buy talent? I’ve never seen an Indiana front seven that physical and talented. They bought Andre carter. We got guys where the fans of the schools they departed said the following

“Was invisible at Florida and invisible at vandy.”
“A human pancake”
“Has amazing raw talent but it just never materialized at all here. I was hoping for more.”

I would probably give Walters a C for his first year ---- definitely not great, but far from a Hazell-level disaster.

I said 5-7 based on talent lost, the challenging schedule, and a first-time head coach with a completely new staff. So, I guess I can't be too upset.

Early losses to Fresno and Syracuse were disappointing, though I think we have to give a new staff time to find their footing. October losses to Iowa and Nebraska were disappointing because the team simply didn't execute well. The team played better down the stretch (against more manageable opposition) but still dropped a winnable game against Northwestern.

I applaud Walters's commitment to the running game, something Brohm was either unable or uninterested in doing. I also think there's quality individual talent on the defense. Not to belabor the obvious, but the kicking game needs an immediate upgrade.
The Northwestern game was my biggest disappointment, second to Fresno State. We dominated NW statistically and were not able to to convert to points. Many of the failures were due to poor play calling based on the talent we have. Any other team would have been able to convert on the short-and-goal situations. We just didnt have it.

May the portal be our friend this season!

I think Walters was ok.I believe he is a very hard worker and will grow into a good head coach.The schedule was tough and the team was hit hard by injuries,especially in the offensive line.If this team can hang on to their remaining committments and bring in some good portal players,Purdue may surprise some people in 2024.

Of course, we could have done better this last year, but the past is past. Coach Walters seems to have good connections with the players and seems to be able to attract good recruits. The team played for him when there was nothing left to play for but pride. Hopefully any mistakes he made being a first-year head coach will have been dealt with. If key members of the team remain healthy, there should be improvement in play during the games. I like him as the head-coach, and wish him success unlike some others. Only the unpredictable future will tell us what we've got. Being Purdue, just having a competitive team that's fun to watch may be all we have to look forward to with the new BIG10, and hopefully the Ws will also come.

This team could have easily been 6-6. By the end of the year they didn’t have many receivers wide open (though Steptoe allowed one yesterday) like brothers did against Fresno state and Syracuse. Also, if you notice the option runs by Indiana yesterday they were tracked down with ease. The whole “being where you’re supposed to be” thing wasn’t really something brothers was into. So Syracuse’s ridiculous QB runs make sense. Those would would not happen now

I thought the hire was pretty far from what we expected or needed, and we got a mediocre at best product as a result. Nothing could be more disappointing, given the leverage we should have utilized and the offensive mindset needed in the head coach that succeeds at Purdue. I was hoping to be disproven and that the AD knew something brilliant that nobody else could see, but the results gave me nothing to question my initial concerns. As far as Harrell, that seemed like an attempted nod towards a fanbase who wanted an experienced, proven passing offense genius at HC but it seemed that promise was a hope based in his playing days and assistant experience, and seems like a feeble move in hindsight.

I thought, “OK, we’ve got a defensive minded HC, maybe we’ll have one of the best D’s in the country and we’ll forget for a few seasons that it’s always taken a brilliant passing attack for Purdue to succeed when generally outclassed by the level of athleticism, speed and size across rosters of the upper eschelon conference teams.” But with the exception of a couple individual contributors, we’ve had a horrid D. We are the only team in the Big to allow opponents to average over 30 points/game. So that really leaves me wondering what the AD was expecting with this hire, and absolutely has me questioning their competence.

the team could have easily gone 6-6 with wins in two of three games against Fresno St, Syracuse or northwestern. Fumbles killed us in the first two losses. Inability to score killed us against Northwestern.

most fans liked Walters' original recruiting class as it happened. That class brought in some talented players. But now the fans all use the same old excuse he didn't have enough time to build a class. I doubt if he had 3 more months to recruit that his first class would have changed. most coaches , when hired, bring with them the players they were recruiting at their former school. Brohm brought at least 10+ players from WKU or players he was recruiting when he came to Purdue. hazell brought 0 players he was recruiting . No matter what your former college was, surely you were recruiting players before you got the Purdue job. For me it's hard to believe Walters didn't bring more Illinois recruits with him. he did bring a few. when I look at the overall size of the last recruiting class, and the transfers, I have to say Walters had enough time to build a solid class. His biggest problem with his first class and this year's class was that many of the better recruits shied away and took a wait and see approach before committing to Purdue. Walters could have had 5 months with his first class, and he would have received the same results.

so now Walters is recruiting his second class. he's had an entire year . You cannot say he didn't have enough time to build a class. Once again, recruits have sort of taken a wait and see approach. His job now is to evaluate the talent he has, keep the good players, replace the bad ones, and recruit some talented players. he has to be able to recruit both high school and the portal athletes. I'm unsure if what we are seeing is a mass exodus or this is what the new college football is like with double digit amounts of players entering the portal and decommitting. Prime time is experiencing the same issues at Colorado. his novelty is wearing thin. . So it's not a walters issue. However, as a coach, he has to be able to recruit both markets.

a lot of fans like to rate a coach by their w/l performance on the field. To me, a season is won in the off season via recruiting and strength and conditioning and practice. . now we have entered the recruiting portion of the year. the Spring provides practice. the Summer is putting it all together.

with the portal, the evaluation period for a coach has shortened from 4-5 years to 2-3 years. you can now plug those holes with experienced players. you no longer have to red shirt and develop players. the player either has it or he doesn't - especially the grad transfers. Looking at Shaffield and Rice, they are not going to develop any more than what they currently are. it's the same with the players Purdue will be recruiting.

Looking forward, what should we as fans expect from Walters? I don't see Purdue ever being better than the 4 new teams joining the conference. they were not added to the conference to provide the existing BIG 10 teams somebody to beat. and if/when the BIG 10 adds 2 more teams, they will not be pushovers. as I look to the future I don't see much success in Purdue's future regardless of who the coach is. winning 6 games could be thought of as an awesome season.

I don't want to fire Walters after one bad year. Looking forward, I don't see next year being any better. I do believe next year will be an indicator of what to expect in the future. if Purdue only wins 4 games next year, then that is what i expect to see for the next decade. Replacing the coach is not going to change that.

winning ball games is important, but you also have to win the off the court battles

If it wasn't for Harrels terrible play calling in offense we would have been bowling easily. So I would give him a B-. Players do seem to play hard for him and like him a lot.
This.

The schedule will again be a beast next year— ideally, with a better approach to playcalling, having more of “his people” on the field, and developing a real sense of direction for the program — CRW will begin to deliver on the promise Purdue saw in him.

I thought the hire was pretty far from what we expected or needed, and we got a mediocre at best product as a result. Nothing could be more disappointing, given the leverage we should have utilized and the offensive mindset needed in the head coach that succeeds at Purdue. I was hoping to be disproven and that the AD knew something brilliant that nobody else could see, but the results gave me nothing to question my initial concerns. As far as Harrell, that seemed like an attempted nod towards a fanbase who wanted an experienced, proven passing offense genius at HC but it seemed that promise was a hope based in his playing days and assistant experience, and seems like a feeble move in hindsight.

I thought, “OK, we’ve got a defensive minded HC, maybe we’ll have one of the best D’s in the country and we’ll forget for a few seasons that it’s always taken a brilliant passing attack for Purdue to succeed when generally outclassed by the level of athleticism, speed and size across rosters of the upper eschelon conference teams.” But with the exception of a couple individual contributors, we’ve had a horrid D. We are the only team in the Big to allow opponents to average over 30 points/game. So that really leaves me wondering what the AD was expecting with this hire, and absolutely has me questioning their competence.
You know why it was?

Purdue always was historically at the bottom of the conference looking up

Then you add delusional scheduling like we are Georgia

With one of the worst NIL programs

If you get your wish and Walters goes, how much do you want to bet that those interested in the job will be shocking?

Who wants to go to Purdue with very little nil funds to play a murderers row schedule. Who did you think we were getting

If you say the Georgia OC I’ll laugh my ass off

the team could have easily gone 6-6 with wins in two of three games against Fresno St, Syracuse or northwestern. Fumbles killed us in the first two losses. Inability to score killed us against Northwestern.

most fans liked Walters' original recruiting class as it happened. That class brought in some talented players. But now the fans all use the same old excuse he didn't have enough time to build a class. I doubt if he had 3 more months to recruit that his first class would have changed. most coaches , when hired, bring with them the players they were recruiting at their former school. Brohm brought at least 10+ players from WKU or players he was recruiting when he came to Purdue. hazell brought 0 players he was recruiting . No matter what your former college was, surely you were recruiting players before you got the Purdue job. For me it's hard to believe Walters didn't bring more Illinois recruits with him. he did bring a few. when I look at the overall size of the last recruiting class, and the transfers, I have to say Walters had enough time to build a solid class. His biggest problem with his first class and this year's class was that many of the better recruits shied away and took a wait and see approach before committing to Purdue. Walters could have had 5 months with his first class, and he would have received the same results.

so now Walters is recruiting his second class. he's had an entire year . You cannot say he didn't have enough time to build a class. Once again, recruits have sort of taken a wait and see approach. His job now is to evaluate the talent he has, keep the good players, replace the bad ones, and recruit some talented players. he has to be able to recruit both high school and the portal athletes. I'm unsure if what we are seeing is a mass exodus or this is what the new college football is like with double digit amounts of players entering the portal and decommitting. Prime time is experiencing the same issues at Colorado. his novelty is wearing thin. . So it's not a walters issue. However, as a coach, he has to be able to recruit both markets.

a lot of fans like to rate a coach by their w/l performance on the field. To me, a season is won in the off season via recruiting and strength and conditioning and practice. . now we have entered the recruiting portion of the year. the Spring provides practice. the Summer is putting it all together.

with the portal, the evaluation period for a coach has shortened from 4-5 years to 2-3 years. you can now plug those holes with experienced players. you no longer have to red shirt and develop players. the player either has it or he doesn't - especially the grad transfers. Looking at Shaffield and Rice, they are not going to develop any more than what they currently are. it's the same with the players Purdue will be recruiting.

Looking forward, what should we as fans expect from Walters? I don't see Purdue ever being better than the 4 new teams joining the conference. they were not added to the conference to provide the existing BIG 10 teams somebody to beat. and if/when the BIG 10 adds 2 more teams, they will not be pushovers. as I look to the future I don't see much success in Purdue's future regardless of who the coach is. winning 6 games could be thought of as an awesome season.

I don't want to fire Walters after one bad year. Looking forward, I don't see next year being any better. I do believe next year will be an indicator of what to expect in the future. if Purdue only wins 4 games next year, then that is what i expect to see for the next decade. Replacing the coach is not going to change that.

winning ball games is important, but you also have to win the off the court battles
You think one season of recruits is all it takes? This isn't basketball where frosh start and star and you can add one or two pieces and be right back on top.

I liked Walters portal gets

Before I looked at their pff at their previous spot. After that I liked card and Wilson

Not as good as I hoped(6-6) but not as bad as I feared (3-9). Looking forward to what Coach Walters can do with a full year under his belt. He was saddled with a subpar first class and little time to change it. He has a huge challenge ahead with the portal and NIL. Fingers crossed for better days ahead.

he is just another hazell,akers and colletto. tiller came in after years of horrible teams and won right away. brohm followed the dumpster fire of hazell and won right away. with walters we can expect more losing seasons.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
he is just another hazell,akers and colletto. tiller came in after years of horrible teams and won right away. brohm followed the dumpster fire of hazell and won right away. with walters we can expect more losing seasons.
Hazell left more behind for brohm than brohm for Walters. Want to ditch your bs opinion and go player for player per pff?

Markus Bailey was better than anyone brohm left Walters. Ditto jawhan Bentley

Brohm was left a better roster and two starter quality quarterbacks(Blough and Sindelar). Walters inherited 0 starting quality quarterbacks.

Last edited:
There's a big difference, there are 4 cherry picked teams from the upper half of the PAC12 entering next year so the competition is getting much worse. Not having a losing season becomes much harder for the current bottom of the BIG10, depending now probably on how many nonconference patsies you play.

There's a big difference, there are 4 cherry picked teams from the upper half of the PAC12 entering next year so the competition is getting much worse. Not having a losing season becomes much harder for the current bottom of the BIG10, depending now probably on how many nonconference patsies you play.
To this end.. this is how stupid our scheduling is.

In 1998 joe tiller was 8-4

6-0 against non Bowl teams
2-4 against bowl teams

We played 3 non bowl teams this year. I have no idea why we still play Notre Dane or ole miss or North Carolina. If you’re ballers in the NIL game sure. We are quite the opposite

This.

The schedule will again be a beast next year— ideally, with a better approach to playcalling, having more of “his people” on the field, and developing a real sense of direction for the program — CRW will begin to deliver on the promise Purdue saw in him.
You think one season of recruits is all it takes? This isn't basketball where frosh start and star and you can add one or two pieces and be right back on top.
Actually that’s all Brohm needed! Brohm recruited high school players, signed a few jucos, Signed a few transfers, And transformed Hazell’s team into a Bowl Game winner in his first year at Purdue!

The days of we need to give a coach 4 years to build a program are OVER!

WAlters should be able to sign 15 transfers via the portal with experience to fill any hole on his roster. If he can build a winner in 2 years, he never will.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
You don’t need to red shirt a player to develop them when you can find one already with 3-4 years of experience! This is no longer the 1990’s.

Last edited:
Hazell left more behind for brohm than brohm for Walters. Want to ditch your bs opinion and go player for player per pff?

Markus Bailey was better than anyone brohm left Walters. Ditto jawhan Bentley
Spot on. The roster Brohm inherited was much better than the roster Walters took over.

Reactions: z_one
If it wasn't for Harrels terrible play calling in offense we would have been bowling easily. So I would give him a B-. Players do seem to play hard for him and like him a lot.
If Walters is good with the play calling, is it just execution? Purdue averaged 23.9 ppg in 2023, 6th in the BIG (26.6 ppg in 2022, 6th in the BIG). How many points did the special teams miss out on this year? 13 points or more brings the avg up to 25 ppg.

Defensively, 30.3 ppg in 2023 LAST IN THE BIG. In 2022, 24.6 ppg.

Yes the offense left a lot of points on the field, but the defense was horrid.

100%. If he was truly a defensive savant, he would have used his system but schemed it up for the players he had. For the most part, he stubbornly refused. Adjust or lose.

the team could have easily gone 6-6 with wins in two of three games against Fresno St, Syracuse or northwestern.

Good observation. I agree wins will be harder with the +4 and division less football. (The WEST was so winnable!) I would say 7 wins before a bowl would be a pretty good season.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT