ADVERTISEMENT

Will Painter's recruiting ever get better/consistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2018
I thought Painter hit a low point with the fallout of the 2013 class, then hit a homerun with the 2014 and 2015 classes... I was expecting a really solid class for this season to re-load, but I feel the cupboard is a little bare after our projected starting 5.

Why wasn't Painter able to sell more recruits on tons of potential playing time and the B1G championship after graduating 4 starters? Not to be pessimistic, but seems Purdue won't break through until Painter can string together 2 or 3 strong classes. 2018 and 2019 (so far) don't seem to be going in that direction, just seems to be more of the same.

Tear me a part for my view, but looking for a discussion on if Painter will ever have the ability to break through on the recruiting trail and in the tournament.

I thought Painter hit a low point with the fallout of the 2013 class, then hit a homerun with the 2014 and 2015 classes... I was expecting a really solid class for this season to re-load, but I feel the cupboard is a little bare after our projected starting 5.

Why wasn't Painter able to sell more recruits on tons of potential playing time and the B1G championship after graduating 4 starters? Not to be pessimistic, but seems Purdue won't break through until Painter can string together 2 or 3 strong classes. 2018 and 2019 (so far) don't seem to be going in that direction.

Tear me a part for my view, but looking for a discussion on if Painter will ever have the ability to break through on the recruiting trail and in the tournament.

It's a valid view, although we aren't getting the "stars" Painter is quietly putting together not only quality, but high IQ basketball players that fit his system. The guys we've been bringing in are a great core group of players. I do agree that it will take a 5* or a couple of top 50 players to finally break through, but Painter has done a pretty good job recruiting guys that are a necessary foundation for any team.

It's a valid view, although we aren't getting the "stars" Painter is quietly putting together not only quality, but high IQ basketball players that fit his system. The guys we've been bringing in are a great core group of players. I do agree that it will take a 5* or a couple of top 50 players to finally break through, but Painter has done a pretty good job recruiting guys that are a necessary foundation for any team.

I agree with you. But that's exactly my point. It seems like every year we bring in great/solid core players without the ability to attract the top 50 guy every other year or so to break through.

Reactions: nagemj02
I agree with you. But that's exactly my point. It seems like every year we bring in great/solid core players without the ability to attract the top 50 guy every other year or so to break through.

Hall and Timme could be a huge boost. Not getting my hopes up on Timme, but I think we have a very legitimate shot at landing Hall.

Hall and Timme could be a huge boost. Not getting my hopes up on Timme, but I think we have a very legitimate shot at landing Hall.

I agree. I think this 2019 class is going to be a turning point for Painter if he can get Hall to commit in addition to Newman and/or Franklin. I think we have 3 scholarships still available for 2019, 4 if Carsen makes the jump to the NBA. We could be deadly in '19-'20

Really???? A total of 31 posts and we aren't suppose to be suspect of your only negative threads???

I assume you meant to direct this at me?

I haven't started any negative threads. Only threads to try and spur discussion. I never said anything false or derogatory. I'm a recent purdue grad and never really engaged in online forums as a student. You gotta start somewhere, just as you did whenever you first joined.

I assume you meant to direct this at me?

I haven't started any negative threads. Only threads to try and spur discussion. I never said anything false or derogatory. I'm a recent purdue grad and never really engaged in online forums as a student. You gotta start somewhere, just as you did whenever you first joined.

If you really are who you say you are then my apologies, but your mother should have taught you it is best to be gracious and friendly when you first visit someone's home. Not sure your criticism of CMP so soon after joining this site fits that category. Sorry but your posts just fall so easily into that Troll category mentioned above.

If you really are who you say you are then my apologies, but your mother should have taught you it is best to be gracious and friendly when you first visit someone's home. Not sure your criticism of CMP so soon after joining this site fits that category. Sorry but your posts just fall so easily into that Troll category mentioned above.

Oh, well in that case...

Matt Painter is the greatest coach to ever live.

There. Can we go back to the discussion now?

Can't help but think that having an All-American in each of the last two years might say something about a coach's recruiting ability.
The last four classes are easily his best consecutive four he’s ever had. And if we get Hall, next year we will be able to say the same. Recruiting is fine. We’ve all seen this year how unseemly the whole process is. I’m proud of our recruiting in lieu of that alternative.

The last four classes are easily his best consecutive four he’s ever had. And if we get Hall, next year we will be able to say the same. Recruiting is fine. We’ve all seen this year how unseemly the whole process is. I’m proud of our recruiting in lieu of that alternative.

The answer is no. Of course the people on the board who like Matt will say things like Matt only wants Purdue players, Matt is about team chemistry, Matt wants high IQ players. While I am a fan of everyone who comes to Purdue to play basketball, the facts are simple, Matt under performs in recruiting. Anyone who disagrees with this please tell me the last time in Matt's entire career where he was #1 in the conference in recruiting ? He has had enough time and we know the pattern. If going to the sweet 16 every now and then and winning the conference title about every 5-6 years is enough then he is a great coach.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Okay, where do you rank the recruiting of the Jerry West award winner? Top 50 isn't magic.

Painter did a great job recruiting Carsen and developing him into his system. I'm certainly proud of that.

But for every Carsen or Boogie there are 5 or 6 role players. My larger point is I would like to see one Carsen or Boogie or similar in every single class to compliment our great core of foundational players. It's the only way Painter will have the ability to get past the sweet 16.

In simpler terms, Painter needs to be able to nab 2 top 100ish kids per year, not just 1. That'll put us over the edge. I'm just getting a little tired of maybe winning a B1G reg season title every so often then maybe making a run to the sweet 16. Seems we've been stuck in limbo since '06-'07

Painter did a great job recruiting Carsen and developing him into his system. I'm certainly proud of that.

But for every Carsen or Boogie there are 5 or 6 role players. My larger point is I would like to see one Carsen or Boogie or similar in every single class to compliment our great core of foundational players. It's the only way Painter will have the ability to get past the sweet 16.

In simpler terms, Painter needs to be able to nab 2 top 100ish kids per year, not just 1. That'll put us over the edge. I'm just getting a little tired of maybe winning a B1G reg season title every so often then maybe making a run to the sweet 16. Seems we've been stuck in limbo since '06-'07
You are a recent Purdue grad who followed the teams since before 06-07? You outed yourself troll.

Reactions: BoilerGal74

Troll carefully...they are on to you.

I don't dispute that, but it doesn't change that fact that Painter's recruiting classes don't even scratch the top 50 in the nation most years. If you're saying recruiting is fine, then do you also think coaching ability is the cause for us not being able to break through in the tournament? I think Painter is a top 15 coach in the nation, and he has ramp up recruiting a notch or two to reach that next level.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
You are a recent Purdue grad who followed the teams since before 06-07? You outed yourself troll.

Lol was I not allowed to watch Purdue sports before going to college? this is just ridiculous! I started watching purdue basketball at the tail end of Gene Keady's tenure and the beginning of Painter. does that make me a troll?

Reactions: DavidBoiler
Lol was I not allowed to watch Purdue sports before going to college? this is just ridiculous! I started watching purdue basketball at the tail end of Gene Keady's tenure and the beginning of Painter. does that make me a troll?
No, being a troll makes you a troll. Talking Painter's recruiting is always a telltale sign. It's been done.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
What an utterly worthless thread and yeah the OP and anyone really supporting him is showing trollish behaviors.

I can't blame them though, the peegies don't have much to do until basketball season starts.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Do yourself a favor and add him to your ignore list.

It will save you a lot of frustration when his entire premise of an argument is “you don’t agree with me therefore you are a troll”.

What an utterly worthless thread and yeah the OP and anyone really supporting him is showing trollish behaviors.

I can't blame them though, the peegies don't have much to do until basketball season starts.

according to the old coots around here, you're likely a troll as well since you only recently joined and have a low post count. better watch out for the thought police

I don't dispute that, but it doesn't change that fact that Painter's recruiting classes don't even scratch the top 50 in the nation most years. If you're saying recruiting is fine, then do you also think coaching ability is the cause for us not being able to break through in the tournament? I think Painter is a top 15 coach in the nation, and he has ramp up recruiting a notch or two to reach that next level.
Painter has done phenomenal considering that up until recently, he lacked the financial backing by the administration.

Further he still made it consistently, save a couple years, deepish in the tourney which makes him consistently one of the best coaches in the country. You don't make a Final Four if you don't make the tourney consistently and don't win a few games while there.

Wrapping so much around things like recruiting rankings when ignoring the results is something an IU fan would do and hence why you are being called out for being one.

Do yourself a favor and add him to your ignore list.

It will save you a lot of frustration when his entire premise of an argument is “you don’t agree with me therefore you are a troll”.
No it isn't about agreement it's about being a troll, like you. I figured you would show up,sometime to prop up another troll.

Painter has done phenomenal considering that up until recently, he lacked the financial backing by the administration.

Further he still made it consistently, save a couple years, deepish in the tourney which makes him consistently one of the best coaches in the country. You don't make a Final Four if you don't make the tourney consistently and don't win a few games while there.

Wrapping so much around things like recruiting rankings when ignoring the results is something an IU fan would do and hence why you are being called out for being one.

Wanting Painter to recruit better and make deeper runs in the tournament makes me an IU fan? Not sure I follow that logic haha.

No it isn't about agreement it's about being a troll, like you. I figured you would show up,sometime to prop up another troll.
Go away old man. I create and add more content to this board than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT