ADVERTISEMENT

Will Painter's recruiting ever get better/consistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting Painter to recruit better and make deeper runs in the tournament makes me an IU fan? Not sure I follow that logic haha.
Not what I said. Plus Painter IS recruiting better or are you just not paying attention?

Sorry but you make a post like you did which is essentially unfounded, you're going to take some heat for it.

Wow three trolls in a row. No wonder many Purdue fans no longer post here. Circle up boys, give that last guy in line a chance.

8 3-star recruits the past 2 classes is better? (according to 247 composite).
That proves my point that I made earlier actually. You're focusing on numbers and not results on the court which is where it matters.

Additionally you purposely started a thread you knew and even admitted essentially, would stir up a hornets nest. Which is what trolls do, kinda like if I went over to peegs and said something like "will Romeo score more than 5 points a game?".

That proves my point that I made earlier actually. You're focusing on numbers and not results on the court which is where it matters.

Additionally you purposely started a thread you knew and even admitted essentially, would stir up a hornets nest. Which is what trolls do, kinda like if I went over to peegs and said something like "will Romeo score more than 5 points a game?".

Results on the court consists of 2 B1G regular season titles and 4 sweet 16s in 13 seasons. I think that's outstanding in the landscape of college basketball. I'm yearning for Painter to take that next step. That's why I started this thread, can Painter take that next step with improved recruiting?

I can understand why folks think I was trying to lay bait. I honestly wasn't. I threw in that caveat at the end because I was expecting the internet vigilantes to swarm as they seem to do so often.

Results on the court consists of 2 B1G regular season titles and 4 sweet 16s in 13 seasons. I think that's outstanding in the landscape of college basketball. I'm yearning for Painter to take that next step. That's why I started this thread, can Painter take that next step with improved recruiting?

I can understand why folks think I was trying to lay bait. I honestly wasn't. I threw in that caveat at the end because I was expecting the internet vigilantes to swarm as they seem to do so often.

There you go again ball basket....If you just joined the site July 31 2018 how can you possibly know “ how the internet vigilantes swarm so often”? You just keep stepping all over yourself. We may be “older posters” as you say but we aren’t senile quite yet....At least not on our better days.

Last edited:
There you go again ball basket....If you just joined the site July 31 2018 how can you possibly know “ how the internet vigilantes swarm so often”. You just keep stepping all over yourself. We may be “older posters” as you say but we aren’t senile quite yet....At least not on our better days.
News flash - you don’t have to be a member to read these boards.

I watched people post here for 5 years before I opened an account t.

There you go again ball basket....If you just joined the site July 31 2018 how can you possibly know “ how the internet vigilantes swarm so often”. You just keep stepping all over yourself. We may be “older posters” as you say but we aren’t senile quite yet....At least not on our better days.

Literally every interaction I've had on this site for the past month has been met with unfounded attacks and conspiracy theories by presumably older members who prefer to argue semantics and call names than engage in rational discussion. That's what I based that comment on.

Shhh you are going to confuse them with logic.

I can't wrap my head around it myself haha. I haven't seen a single one of these "gold members" contribute an ounce of actual rational thought to this board in my month of being on here. I wonder who the actual trolls are haha. They're all IU fans! That's gotta be it!

Reactions: nagemj02
I can't wrap my head around it myself haha. I haven't seen a single one of these "gold members" contribute an ounce of actual rational thought to this board in my month of being on here. I wonder who the actual trolls are haha. They're all IU fans! That's gotta be it!
I didn't know until I looked, but I'm a gold member. I don't know the criteria to become a gold member, but i'm guessing there is no weight to the intellectual scale of posts. Instead, I'm suspicious that gold member is obtained through longevity of posting or at least come totality of those posts...which probably has somewhat of a positive correlation with longevity. That said, those that have been on this board for some time are no doubt tired of beating this horse and rightfully so. That said, I'll attempt to provide a very brief synopsis of the previous understandings only because there is a chance you are sincere and truly haven't spent much time on this board...and if not sincere...perhaps there is another that is sincere?

It is my opinion that many, if not most, believe the "head" coach is as important as any other single variable (which there are hundreds?), but never accounts for the reason entirely why a player picks one school over another. The "HEAD" coach doesn't account for as much as all the other significant variables of which all weigh differently for different individuals. If you are familiar with multiple regression you may understand the model I'm suggesting and if not..perhaps you get it anyway? In any model or understanding you hope the variable you are measuring...the criteria you wish to understand is repeatable and accurate depicting the desires you wish to understand. We all may wonder why Jack the football star is with Diane, when Jim has more money, Jaxon is smart, Jesse is kind and TJ has it all, but she is...and yet Debbie has no desire for Jack, nor Dedra either. Was it because Jack had his hands between her knees that caused her to want to run off behind the shade trees and suck on chili dogs?

Star ratings are a general indicator that has a positive relationship, but the error is large as well. Anyway, there you have it...what I do not know...

Reactions: BBG

No dog in this fight. Have never put anyone on ignore since becoming a member here or earlier on OGFP (well, Don Romeo might have been ignored way back when). Staunchly defended Keady when he was taking flak on OGFP from GenevaSteve (if memory serves, if not, mea culpa). And, for the most part, I am satisfied with Painter's overall coaching/recruiting efforts. Note: for the most part.
I am a grumpy, old man who followed Purdue football/basketball well before I was a freshman in 1965. So, when ballbasket says he is a recent grad etc, I take him at his word and will continue reading his posts and all the responses they engender. If he begins to lololololololololol, then all bets are off.
In other words, as long as he is able to POTFH, he should continue to post.

I didn't know until I looked, but I'm a gold member. I don't know the criteria to become a gold member, but i'm guessing there is no weight to the intellectual scale of posts. Instead, I'm suspicious that gold member is obtained through longevity of posting or at least come totality of those posts...which probably has somewhat of a positive correlation with longevity. That said, those that have been on this board for some time are no doubt tired of beating this horse and rightfully so. That said, I'll attempt to provide a very brief synopsis of the previous understandings only because there is a chance you are sincere and truly haven't spent much time on this board...and if not sincere...perhaps there is another that is sincere?

It is my opinion that many, if not most, believe the "head" coach is as important as any other single variable (which there are hundreds?), but never accounts for the reason entirely why a player picks one school over another. The "HEAD" coach doesn't account for as much as all the other significant variables of which all weigh differently for different individuals. If you are familiar with multiple regression you may understand the model I'm suggesting and if not..perhaps you get it anyway? In any model or understanding you hope the variable you are measuring...the criteria you wish to understand is repeatable and accurate depicting the desires you wish to understand. We all may wonder why Jack the football star is with Diane, when Jim has more money, Jaxon is smart, Jesse is kind and TJ has it all, but she is...and yet Debbie has no desire for Jack, nor Dedra either. Was it because Jack had his hands between her knees that caused her to want to run off behind the shade trees and suck on chili dogs?

Star ratings are a general indicator that has a positive relationship, but the error is large as well. Anyway, there you have it...what I do not know...
Gold member means you paid for a subscription - KHC access.

Reactions: tjreese
The answer is no. Of course the people on the board who like Matt will say things like Matt only wants Purdue players, Matt is about team chemistry, Matt wants high IQ players. While I am a fan of everyone who comes to Purdue to play basketball, the facts are simple, Matt under performs in recruiting. Anyone who disagrees with this please tell me the last time in Matt's entire career where he was #1 in the conference in recruiting ? He has had enough time and we know the pattern. If going to the sweet 16 every now and then and winning the conference title about every 5-6 years is enough then he is a great coach.

Underperforms versus what benchmark?

I have some sandals...
8 3-star recruits the past 2 classes is better? (according to 247 composite).
I don’t care about recruiting stars as long as we win. All the stars do is give us something to argue about.

Biggie was a five star I believe, but might just miss the two year window. Perhaps that’s why you chose a two year horizon for your inflammatory post in the first place.

Interesting. I thought Eastern was a four star. I know Dow was completely underrated because some of the rating services did not get to scout him. Those that did gave him a higher rating. I think one service gave him a five star rating at one point. We will see. You can’t hide lack of talent for very long.

Reactions: Gary Boiler and BBG
I don’t care about recruiting stars as long as we win. All the stars do is give us something to argue about.

Biggie was a five star I believe, but might just miss the two year window. Perhaps that’s why you chose a two year horizon for your inflammatory post in the first place.

Interesting. I thought Eastern was a four star. I know Dow was completely underrated because some of the rating services did not get to scout him. Those that did gave him a higher rating. I think one service gave him a five star rating at one point. We will see. You can’t hide lack of talent for very long.

I focused on the last 2 years because Painter went from recruiting Biggie and Carsen to mainly role players. At the time, I thought Painter was about to turn a corner into bringing in maybe 2 or 3 top 100 kids per year instead of the maybe 1 and some change. His recipe has certainly worked thus far, but the point of my “inflammatory” post (don’t be soft) was to discuss whether or not Painter needs to kick it up a notch on the recruiting trail. He has proven he can do more with less. Imagine what he could do with better talent.

I never denied Nojel was a 4 star talent. 8 of 9 players the past 2 classes have been 3 Star. There, fixed it. I wish we could get 2 or 3 Nojels per class, not 1

Last edited:
I focused on the last 2 years because Painter went from recruiting Biggie and Carsen to mainly role players. At the time, I thought Painter was about to turn a corner into bringing in maybe 2 or 3 top 100 kids per year instead of the maybe 1 and some change. His recipe has certainly worked thus far, but the point of my “inflammatory” post (don’t be soft) was to discuss whether or not Painter needs to kick it up a notch on the recruiting trail. He has proven he can do more with less. Imagine what he could do with better talent.

I never denied Nojel was a 4 star talent. 8 of 9 players the past 2 classes have been 3 Star. There, fixed it. I wish we could get 2 or 3 Nojels per class, not 1
Carsen wasn't a heralded recruit at all when he signed. If you actually followed Purdue recruiting you would know that.

Carsen wasn't a heralded recruit at all when he signed. If you actually followed Purdue recruiting you would know that.

Lol here we go...

I do follow Purdue recruiting. It’s why I posted this thread to discuss.

Carsen was a 4 Star recruit and was ranked in the top 100 by most services. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Painter needs more Carsens.

Lol here we go...

Carsen was a 4 Star recruit and was ranked in the top 100 by most services. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Painter needs more Carsens.
Did you even look at the schools who recruited him? He wasn't highly recruited, he went on like one official visit and that was to Purdue. And when he committed no one was all that excited.

You posted this thread to hack at Painter. Now you say something else.

I called you post inflammatory because you presented an unfair and biased view with what you said. You admitted as much in your follow ups. I don’t hold that against you, but I know your general perspective on Painter from what you posted.

Sure, I want a class of 4 & 5 star dudes, but so does every blue blood. You don’t get them unless you recruit like UK or have a reputation like Kansas or UNC. Our story is that we do more with less and that we are an up and coming program. That doesn’t sell to everyone we would like to bring in. Also, There are also some really good players we don’t offer, for reasons we can guess.

Reactions: Gary Boiler and BBG
Did you even look at the schools who recruited him? He wasn't highly recruited, he went on like one official visit and that was to Purdue. And when he committed no one was all that excited.

I was excited as soon as I saw video of him in action for his high school and AAU teams. I don't remember if that was before or after he committed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ballbasket
I called you post inflammatory because you presented an unfair and biased view with what you said. You admitted as much in your follow ups. I don’t hold that against you, but I know your general perspective on Painter from what you posted.

Sure, I want a class of 4 & 5 star dudes, but so does every blue blood. You don’t get them unless you recruit like UK or have a reputation like Kansas or UNC. Our story is that we do more with less and that we are an up and coming program. That doesn’t sell to everyone we would like to bring in. Also, There are also some really good players we don’t offer, for reasons we can guess.
I don't know if the OP is a troll or not, but I tend to agree with him somewhat on this subject. I think we are the same tier program as schools like MSU, Michigan, IU, and OSU. We could/should recruit like them as well.

I'm not saying we should be getting multiple 5* recruits every year. I think we could pull in players ranked 50-100 consistently as well as the occasional 5*, or the occasional player 100+. Right now we are living in the 100-150 zone, with the occasional player in the 75-100 zone. CMP is great at identifying talent early and offering. We just aren't able to close the deal.

I agree with @tjreese when he says the head coach isn't the only factor in getting a recruit. We need our assistant coaches to be excellent recruiters as well. Brantley has good enough results to warrant a spot on the staff. Lutz and Gary don't do a great job on the recruiting trail IMO.

I also think we need a "Midnight Madness" type event. Recruits love that type of event, and it gives them a chance to see the fan base in action.

CMP is able to get great results with less talent. I believe with a little better talent, we could be title contenders year in and year out. However, these are just my opinions.

Lol here we go...

I don't think he was...until he committed to Purdue. I think he was a 3 star and "many" thought Xavier Simpson was the better catch. I don't think anyone argues the general direction of star power...it is the magnitude that has a lot of error. I think if you compare after the budget changes and before the budget changes you find a better quality of player today overall.

I think is will be the result of evolution as opposed to revolution for Purdue...

I don't think he was...until he committed to Purdue. I think he was a 3 star and "many" thought Xavier Simpson was the better catch. I don't think anyone argues the general direction of star power...it is the magnitude that has a lot of error. I think if you compare after the budget changes and before the budget changes you find a better quality of player today overall.

I think is will be the result of evolution as opposed to revolution for Purdue...
He for sure caught a lot of us off guard when he committed. I know we were high on Simpson and before that we were in love with CJ Walker. It is amazing how Carsen has worked out for us because he was a steal.

If I remember correctly, that was the year we were also high on Jarron Cumberland.
Yes and I really wanted him - dude is still built like a football player. He has been really good at Cincinnati.

Also that was the year we “missed” on Eron Gordon.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Yes and I really wanted him - dude is still built like a football player. He has been really good at Cincinnati.

Also that was the year we “missed” on Eron Gordon.
Funny to look back at the offers and a few others I wanted were Nick Ward - stud but man does he have maturity issues.

Barrett Benson who is a bench player at best.

Kyle Guy would have been great in our system.

Painter did a great job recruiting Carsen and developing him into his system. I'm certainly proud of that.

But for every Carsen or Boogie there are 5 or 6 role players. My larger point is I would like to see one Carsen or Boogie or similar in every single class to compliment our great core of foundational players.
You'd like to get a 1st or 2nd team All American from every class? You serious, Clark? There might be a couple schools in the entire country that can do that.

Carsen had offers from a half dozen power 5 schools. Not sure why you consider that "not highly recruited"...but that's beside the point.

Also not sure what you mean by me taking a "hack at Painter" then "say something else". If you reread my original post, I praise Painter for doing a great job with the 2014/15/16 classes, and I expected Painter to sustain or improve subsequently from that on the recruiting trail. Instead, Painter pulled in a few relatively large AND weak classes. Which is the point of my thread... Are we happy with the status quo that has been set, or should we desire Painter to take that next step? He has proven his coaching chops time and time again, the question mark is can he nab just a couple more talented players each year above what he's currently getting.

I'm confused why that's so confusing and offensive to so many folks haha. Why is it controversial to desire better players and deeper tourney runs?

I don't know if the OP is a troll or not, but I tend to agree with him somewhat on this subject. I think we are the same tier program as schools like MSU, Michigan, IU, and OSU. We could/should recruit like them as well.

I'm not saying we should be getting multiple 5* recruits every year. I think we could pull in players ranked 50-100 consistently as well as the occasional 5*, or the occasional player 100+. Right now we are living in the 100-150 zone, with the occasional player in the 75-100 zone. CMP is great at identifying talent early and offering. We just aren't able to close the deal.

I agree with @tjreese when he says the head coach isn't the only factor in getting a recruit. We need our assistant coaches to be excellent recruiters as well. Brantley has good enough results to warrant a spot on the staff. Lutz and Gary don't do a great job on the recruiting trail IMO.

I also think we need a "Midnight Madness" type event. Recruits love that type of event, and it gives them a chance to see the fan base in action.

CMP is able to get great results with less talent. I believe with a little better talent, we could be title contenders year in and year out. However, these are just my opinions.

Not stealing your thunder at all. But you masterfully and eloquently said what I've been trying to say all along.

You'd like to get a 1st or 2nd team All American from every class?
We had back to back All Americans so I guess we are becoming spoiled.

Assuming Carsen gets it again that is 3 years in a row - anyone know the record for consecutive All Americans?

You'd like to get a 1st or 2nd team All American from every class? You serious, Clark? There might be a couple schools in the entire country that can do that.

Any reasonable person would LIKE to get an AA every class. But as you also acknowledged, it’s not likely. I’m not calling for that, just a marginal increase in recruiting quality

We had back to back All Americans so I guess we are becoming spoiled.

Assuming Carsen gets it again that is 3 years in a row - anyone know the record for consecutive All Americans?
I don't know the exact record, but based on my 2 minute research Duke is on a streak of 6 in a row, and has at least one 9 out of 10 years.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT