ADVERTISEMENT

Edey and Smith exceeding their recruiting rankings

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
I think that pretty much everyone would agree at this point that Purdue is led by two tremendous players in Zach Edey and Braden Smith.

Edey is averaging 24.8 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks through 10 games. Smith is averaging 13.2 points, 7.2 assists, and 5.9 rebounds. Both players are highly efficient when you dig into the numbers. These guys are box score stuffers and winners.

The crazy thing is that Edey was the 436th ranked recruit in the composite rankings while Smith was 198th. I remember viewing Edey as a bit of a consolation prize after missing out on Dickinson and Kalkbrenner and I certainly remember a lot of complaining on this board about Smith’s lack of other high major offers.

I guess I have to draw a few conclusions. First, I have to credit Painter for recognizing the potential in these two. Second, I need to look at recruiting rankings with a grain of salt, even as I am excited about the 2024 class. But, most of all, I tip my hat to these two in how they have overcome the odds and are excelling at such a high level.

What Purdue has right now is special. We should all enjoy the moment.

Last edited:
I admit, I wanted Dickinson. However at the same time, Edey was selected to play on the Canadian national team that played in the same global tournament that Painter was helping coaching. So my take was that Painter had some inside recruiting knowledge about Edey that many other coaches and rating services didn’t have. And as for developing big men, Painter is the best, so we don’t really need to recruit some 5 star center for him to be successful. I recall Joe Barry committing to Purdue before any recruiting service even knew he was alive. And then he blew up his senior high school year! But he had already signed an LOI. I recall Tre was a 4/5 star before his injury and Heidi was a 4 star before his injury. And Painter was one of the first coaches to recruit/offer Holman. Before he became the #1 prospect in the nation. So I trust Painter’s eye for talent over a player’s recruiting ranking.

As for Smith, his media rankings were low. His high school stats were good but not awesome. But he won the Indiana Mr. Basketball over several other players with much better stats and ratings. So to win that award over other players with better stats, the coaches and media who saw him play must have thought he was something special.

I’ve said many times what Purdue has lacked is a true point guard that can control the tempo, distribute the ball and be a floor general/coach on the floor! smith is that guy!

I said yesterday Smith reminds me a lot of Scotty Skiles . U.S. old timers remember Skiles almost came to Purdue.

Painter has shown in the past he is not afraid to start freshmen if they prove they are worthy! Last year, Purdue was on a championship run, and they started two freshmen guards, and those 2 guards played a lot of minutes! Despite what some may say about their shortcomings, To start as freshmen for Painter, they both must be something special.

And a little something that people forget, Smith and Loyer are so good that 3 veteran Purdue guards entered the portal because they knew they couldn’t compete for their positions. And Purdue didn’t skip a beat with their departures.

I think that pretty much everyone would agree at this point that Purdue is led by two tremendous players in Zach Edey and Braden Smith.

Edey is averaging 24.8 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks through 10 games. Smith is averaging 13.2 points, 7.2 assists, and 5.9 steals. Both players are highly efficient when you dig into the numbers. These guys are box score stuffers and winners.

The crazy thing is that Edey was the 436th ranked recruit in the composite rankings while Smith was 198th. I remember viewing Edey as a bit of a consolation prize after missing out on Dickinson and Kalkbrenner and I certainly remember a lot of complaining on this board about Smith’s lack of other high major offers.

I guess I have to draw a few conclusions. First, I have to credit Painter for recognizing the potential in these two. Second, I need to look at recruiting rankings with a grain of salt, even as I am excited about the 2024 class. But, most of all, I tip my hat to these two in how they have overcome the odds and are excelling at such a high level.

Well said.

Edey is averaging 24.8 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks through 10 games. Smith is averaging 13.2 points, 7.2 assists, and 5.9 steals. Both players are highly efficient when you dig into the numbers. These guys are box score stuffers and winners.

I remember Edey playing his first year. He came in and packed the stat sheet. I thought this kid may be good.
This is a good bunch of guys playing. I was at our last FF and hope to see these guys get there. They represent Purdue well and I hope all the hard work rewards them.

One of the advantages of having Painter as a coach is that he is part of the selection and coaching of several of the U.S. teams and he can see a player perform before they receive the media hype and attention. He is often the first coach in many instances to offer a player a scholarship!

Edey is averaging 24.8 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks through 10 games. Smith is averaging 13.2 points, 7.2 assists, and 5.9 rebounds. Both players are highly efficient when you dig into the numbers. These guys are box score stuffers and winners.

So what I hear you saying is they are a little better than expected 🤔 😁

I admit, I wanted Dickinson. However at the same time, Edey was selected to play on the Canadian national team that played in the same global tournament that Painter was helping coaching. So my take was that Painter had some inside recruiting knowledge about Edey that many other coaches and rating services didn’t have. And as for developing big men, Painter is the best, so we don’t really need to recruit some 5 star center for him to be successful. I recall Joe Barry committing to Purdue before any recruiting service even knew he was alive. And then he blew up his senior high school year! But he had already signed an LOI. I recall Tre was a 4/5 star before his injury and Heidi was a 4 star before his injury. And Painter was one of the first coaches to recruit/offer Holman. Before he became the #1 prospect in the nation. So I trust Painter’s eye for talent over a player’s recruiting ranking.

As for Smith, his media rankings were low. His high school stats were good but not awesome. But he won the Indiana Mr. Basketball over several other players with much better stats and ratings. So to win that award over other players with better stats, the coaches and media who saw him play must have thought he was something special.

I’ve said many times what Purdue has lacked is a true point guard that can control the tempo, distribute the ball and be a floor general/coach on the floor! smith is that guy!

I said yesterday Smith reminds me a lot of Scotty Skiles . U.S. old timers remember Skiles almost came to Purdue.

Painter has shown in the past he is not afraid to start freshmen if they prove they are worthy! Last year, Purdue was on a championship run, and they started two freshmen guards, and those 2 guards played a lot of minutes! Despite what some may say about their shortcomings, To start as freshmen for Painter, they both must be something special.

And a little something that people forget, Smith and Loyer are so good that 3 veteran Purdue guards entered the portal because they knew they couldn’t compete for their positions. And Purdue didn’t skip a beat with their departures.
Skiles was bigger than Smith physically if I remember correctly. Smith reminds me more of Bobby Hurley.

I remember Edey playing his first year. He came in and packed the stat sheet. I thought this kid may be good.
This is a good bunch of guys playing. I was at our last FF and hope to see these guys get there. They represent Purdue well and I hope all the hard work rewards them.
If you saw the last FF, you must be old. That was back when I was at Purdue.

One of the advantages of having Painter as a coach is that he is part of the selection and coaching of several of the U.S. teams and he can see a player perform before they receive the media hype and attention. He is often the first coach in many instances to offer a player a scholarship!

If they have been selected to try out for one of those teams, rest assured that they have already been discovered. Unknown players do not get invited to any tryouts.

If they have been selected to try out for one of those teams, rest assured that they have already been discovered. Unknown players do not get invited to any tryouts.
My point was Edey was on a Canadian national team when Painter first saw him actually play ! No other U.S. college coaches were actually following him or scouting his Canadian high school games. Painter as part of coaching that national U.S. team was one of the first U.S. coaches to actually see Edey play. And even then, he didn’t start or play much for that Canadian team! And this was before Edey went to that prep academy in Florida! Due to being involved with the national team, Painter had an advantage over many other coaches. That same was true for Berg and a couple of other European players Painter saw play. The biggest advantage Painter has is that he sees many international players actually play in person that many other coaches and scouting services don’t. He gets a jump start on many players due to the many national positions he holds.

I really don’t know how Braden flew so much under the radar. Purdue wasn’t even recruiting him that much and he was indiana mr basketball. I heard he was much shorter when he was recruited and someone knew his dad who was a late bloomer and suggested Braden would shoot up his junior and senior year which I think he did.

Last edited:
I really don’t know how Braden flew so much under the radar. Purdue wasn’t even recruiting him that much and he was indiana mr basketball. I heard he was much shorter when he was recruited and someone knew his dad who was a late bloomer and suggested Braden would shoot up his junior and senior year which I think he did.

Painter has mentioned a couple of times I think that people didn't see him as much because of COVID restrictions.

Reactions: Schnelk
Painter has mentioned a couple of times I think that people didn't see him as much because of COVID restrictions.
This was also a factor. He shot up 3” his sophomore year. Bruce Parkinson lives close to Westfield high school and would watch their games and helped not only recruit Braden but also helped convince Purdue he could play.

Reactions: Schnelk

While we did not recruit him early, say sophomore year. I know I read an @oldboiler52 report on here Sept of 2021. That would be before the start of his Senior year I think? That would indicate we were on him at least his junior year, & summer to get a report preseason of his sr yr.

Last edited:
You guys are youngsters! I remember watching Billy Keller, Herm Gilliam and Rick Mount play together! If John Garrett hadn’t put his Corvette in a ditch somewhere along the way…that would have been the 1st NC…imhko!

You guys are youngsters! I remember watching Billy Keller, Herm Gilliam and Rick Mount play together! If John Garrett hadn’t put his Corvette in a ditch somewhere along the way…that would have been the 1st NC…imhko!

Great. Can you compare/contrast Billy Keller to the Braden Smith we have seen the last few games?

I remember seeing the ranking for Edey and thinking “why is painter going after players ranked that low are we a MAC team”? It just confirms that I know little about basketball. lol.
Don't feel bad. We've all done it and come to this free board for validation. This just informed us CMP's ability to find diamonds.

Reactions: Ajas0810
John Garrett or Chuck Bavis?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT