ADVERTISEMENT

Will Painter's recruiting ever get better/consistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reasonable person would LIKE to get an AA every class. But as you also acknowledged, it’s not likely. I’m not calling for that, just a marginal increase in recruiting quality
For me I look at it like this. The jury is still out on what we have, as few of them have had a chance to show us what they have. It’s being reported that this may be Painters most athletic team to date. It’s been obvious since the two consecutive down years recently, that Painter has made adjustments in both in game philosophy and recruiting. The results to date are somewhat impressive and in the very least, represent a positive trend.

We can debate how many stars players have that we are getting all day. But, it’s the end results that really matters, for everyone I assume. We are sitting on a ceiling of sweet 16’s, but I see no reason to think we can’t break that ceiling, especially when considering the upward trend Painter has us currently.

We have an all American on the squad now. We may want to enjoy that and see what these other kids have to offer now that the opportunity to play is available.

For me I look at it like this. The jury is still out on what we have, as few of them have had a chance to show us what they have. It’s being reported that this may be Painters most athletic team to date. It’s been obvious since the two consecutive down years recently, that Painter has made adjustments in both in game philosophy and recruiting. The results to date are somewhat impressive and in the very least, represent a positive trend.

We can debate how many stars players have that we are getting all day. But, it’s the end results that really matters, for everyone I assume. We are sitting on a ceiling of sweet 16’s, but I see no reason to think we can’t break that ceiling, especially when considering the upward trend Painter has us currently.

We have an all American on the squad now. We may want to enjoy that and see what these other kids have to offer now that the opportunity to play is available.
You make a great point. We don't know what we have yet.

People who praise the previous classes are recalling how they played their upper class years. I bet there were similar comments about those lasses from the less informed crowd. Maybe we need to give the classes of 2017 and 2018 a chance to show us how good they are before making comments about the "drop off in recruiting" (to paraphrase) or "not enough stars" (paraphrase).

Sometimes you jut gotta' have some faith brother ! :cool:

But for every Carsen or Boogie there are 5 or 6 role players. My larger point is I would like to see one Carsen or Boogie or similar in every single class to compliment our great core of foundational players. It's the only way Painter will have the ability to get past the sweet 16.
"Carsen or Boogie"?!

Do you think they are different players? Please stop.

Lol here we go...

I do follow Purdue recruiting. It’s why I posted this thread to discuss.

Carsen was a 4 Star recruit and was ranked in the top 100 by most services. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Painter needs more Carsens.
AND BOOGIES, TOO!

I thought Painter hit a low point with the fallout of the 2013 class, then hit a homerun with the 2014 and 2015 classes... I was expecting a really solid class for this season to re-load, but I feel the cupboard is a little bare after our projected starting 5.

Why wasn't Painter able to sell more recruits on tons of potential playing time and the B1G championship after graduating 4 starters? Not to be pessimistic, but seems Purdue won't break through until Painter can string together 2 or 3 strong classes. 2018 and 2019 (so far) don't seem to be going in that direction, just seems to be more of the same.

Tear me a part for my view, but looking for a discussion on if Painter will ever have the ability to break through on the recruiting trail and in the tournament.

No

The answer is no. Of course the people on the board who like Matt will say things like Matt only wants Purdue players, Matt is about team chemistry, Matt wants high IQ players. While I am a fan of everyone who comes to Purdue to play basketball, the facts are simple, Matt under performs in recruiting. Anyone who disagrees with this please tell me the last time in Matt's entire career where he was #1 in the conference in recruiting ? He has had enough time and we know the pattern. If going to the sweet 16 every now and then and winning the conference title about every 5-6 years is enough then he is a great coach.

Painter eliminates about 20-25 of the top 50 each year because they have their hands out looking for a pay day.

Hoping this FBI investigation opens things up for coaches playing by the rules. When we lose players to MSU, iu, Louisville, Xavier etc you have to wonder if it was on the up and up.

Reactions: Gary Boiler and BBG
Painter eliminates about 20-25 of the top 50 each year because they have their hands out looking for a pay day.

Hoping this FBI investigation opens things up for coaches playing by the rules. When we lose players to MSU, iu, Louisville, Xavier etc you have to wonder if it was on the up and up.
There is no more evidence that iu, MSU, or Xavier pay players than there is that Purdue does. Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that those three programs are better at recruiting.

Reactions: boilersallthewaynow
There is no more evidence that iu, MSU, or Xavier pay players than there is that Purdue does. Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that those three programs are better at recruiting.
I'm not going to disparage IU or X, but Izzo cheats like crazy. How does a kid from five hours or so away spend so may unofficial visits? Plus the smell around that program is worse than a port o let at the Speedway on race day.

Haas , Carsen , eastern, trevion, hunter, ed, and wheeler were all 4 stars on different recruiting sites. Who are the 8 three stars in the last three classes?

Reactions: LionBulldog83
I personally feel the 2017 class will go down as a tremendous class.

HAARMS
Eastern
Wheeler
Sasha

The 2019 class could end up a monster as well

IT
Gillis
Franklin?
Newman?
Hall?

Reactions: LionBulldog83
Basketball recruiting is a tough business.

1. Your classes are small - your room for error is little. The examples of bad team chemistry, or a couple spots not panning out/going awry are plentiful across college basketball.

2. The lack of options. There are very few very high quality recruits - roughly around 100 a year? And 5 stars are under 30 a year? There are 80 programs in power conferences alone (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC) and 347 Division 1 programs. Look at football - you may have 15-20 WRs you are looking at for one class - and can narrow them down as time goes on. With basketball, there may be 3 or 4 of a position in a class that you need one of. The chances of landing "the one" is a lot better in football than basketball. There's simply more options.

3. The power schools dominate. Because talent is so spread thin - you get "bunches" at a few select programs, and those programs accumulate a lot of it. These kids want to play with other good players. There's more 4/5 star recruits on a Kentucky team than there is in 3/4 of the SEC conference.

4. A combination of sustained success and/or a signature achievement is helpful. Look at Gonzaga - Gonzaga really came on the map in 99 with a couple upsets in the tournament. We played them the next year in the tournament - and beat them. Between 2000 (when we beat them) and 2015 - they were in the tournament every year, but they only made the Sweet 16 four times (and never advanced). That's 15 straight years of only getting past the first or second round. Matt Painter hasn't even been coach at Purdue 15 years (and has been to Sweet 16 four times).

But that sustained success paid off. Gonzaga finally got over that hurdle and made an Elite 8, and then a Final Four the next year.

Eventually you'll have that breakthrough moment. It's certainly not easy. Gonzaga has the benefit of being in a much weaker conference - a "down year" for them can still be a relatively easy NCAA Tournament bid. A down year in the Big 10? No chance you're in the tournament.

Haas , Carsen , eastern, trevion, hunter, ed, and wheeler were all 4 stars on different recruiting sites. Who are the 8 three stars in the last three classes?
IDK but if we go by the 247 aggregate which is the most common one, Carsen and Eastern are both 4s but the rest aren't

you could argue guys a day one stud like haarms deserves better (and I would personally take day 1 evaluations over recruiting rankings)

So I see 6 and the Juco tranfer Ewing

What an utterly worthless thread and yeah the OP and anyone really supporting him is showing trollish behaviors.

I can't blame them though, the peegies don't have much to do until basketball season starts.
I am quoting myself here because this post of mine didn't help much with the discussion, so I'll fix that.

So to answer the question at hand, Painter's recruiting already HAS gotten better. All you need to do is look at not only who he has landed but who he is getting just to LOOK at Purdue. That hasn't happened in ages and is a result of him getting more money to actually recruit for a change.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter the stars next to a name, it's the results on the court. You need consistency to get to the promised land (and some luck) and we are seeing that with Painter.

He isn't perfect by any stretch, but he is easily one of the top 20 coaches in the country. We never have to worry about a scandal coming around and he has a great sense of humor.

I know people want him to do certain things like run-a-defense-that-shall-not-be-named and he hasn't gotten to a Final Four yet and that angers some because of the timeline. But folks, we could do far...... far ... far... worse.

Sure I expect the "but Ignacious, isn't it worth the risk? Coach X is doing well and might come here" and my answer to that question is a resounding HELLS TO THE NO! Why? Two words... Darrell Hazell. Sure it's a different admin, but if we're looking for a new coach that means we essentially are not paying Matt for what he is worth and who would come here for that money and come close to what Matt has done? Right, the basketball version of DH.

I'll end this post with some wise words from the hair band Cinderella: "Don't know what you got, till it's gone"

Last edited:
I am quoting myself here because this post of mine didn't help much with the discussion, so I'll fix that.

So to answer the question at hand, Painter's recruiting already HAS gotten better. All you need to do is look at not only who he has landed but who he is getting just to LOOK at Purdue. That hasn't happened in ages and is a result of him getting more money to actually recruit for a change.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter the stars next to a name, it's the results on the court. You need consistency to get to the promised land (and some luck) and we are seeing that with Painter.

He isn't perfect by any stretch, but he is easily one of the top 20 coaches in the country. We never have to worry about a scandal coming around and he has a great sense of humor.

I know people want him to do certain likes like run-a-defense-that-shall-not-be-named and he hasn't gotten to a Final Four yet and that angers some because of the timeline. But folks, we could do far...... far ... far... worse.

Sure I expect the "but Ignacious, isn't it worth the risk? Coach X is doing well and might come here" and my answer to that question is a resounding HELLS TO THE NO! Why? Two words... Darrell Hazell. Sure it's a different admin, but if we're looking for a new coach that means we essentially are not paying Matt for what he is worth and who would come here for that money and come close to what Matt has done? Right, the basketball version of DH.

I'll end this post with some wise words from the hair band Cinderella: "Don't know what you got, till it's gone"

One of the best posts Ive read on this board in a long, long time.

You dont fire a coach who keeps popping out KenPom top 20 teams with regularity just because some of his best players have missed the tournament. I used to have my doubts as well but he is a tremendous coach and no doubt one of the best 20 coaches in the nation.

One of the best posts Ive read on this board in a long, long time.

You dont fire a coach who keeps popping out KenPom top 20 teams with regularity just because some of his best players have missed the tournament. I used to have my doubts as well but he is a tremendous coach and no doubt one of the best 20 coaches in the nation.
Thanks. And you are so right on your last part.

I have little doubt we all want a Final Four but will our lives end if he doesn't? No and when he gets one our lives really won't be any different the day after either to be honest. We'll have bragging rights on the internet for a bit, but that is all it truly will get us here.

Some will call me a "settler" but that is far from the truth, I am just realistic and don't wrap my Purdue existence up in a sport I can't even play.

Thanks. And you are so right on your last part.

I have little doubt we all want a Final Four but will our lives end if he doesn't? No and when he gets one our lives really won't be any different the day after either to be honest. We'll have bragging rights on the internet for a bit, but that is all it truly will get us here.

Some will call me a "settler" but that is far from the truth, I am just realistic and don't wrap my Purdue existence up in a sport I can't even play.

I don't get all this talk, clamoring for a "Final Four." As soon as Painter reaches the FF, the goal posts will be moved (mixing sports metaphors) to demand a NC.

What's more, I've never understood the "settler" comment. It doesn't matter one whit what we as fans want. All the "settler" charge does (for the people making that claim), is to say "I'm better than you, because I want MORE."

I don't get all this talk, clamoring for a "Final Four." As soon as Painter reaches the FF, the goal posts will be moved (mixing sports metaphors) to demand a NC.

What's more, I've never understood the "settler" comment. It doesn't matter one whit what we as fans want. All the "settler" charge does (for the people making that claim), is to say "I'm better than you, because I want MORE."
Good post. I don't get most of the back and forth on here anymore to be honest. It's like if you don't agree with someone (the obvious troll posts excluded of course) or try and counter their statement with one of your own, it's like you killed their cat... ran over their dog and stole their spouse.

I mean... it's just a sport for crying out loud who really cares what happens? I enjoy watching Purdue play... win or lose.

Overall, setting up arbitrary goals mainly just sets you up for disappointment. It's not like people say, oh we've reached the Sweet 16 - let's stop trying to go further!

This past year is a great example. What happened with Haas - particularly with the timing of it where the team had no time to adjust - took what very well could have been at least an Elite 8 team, maybe further, and really took it out of the equation. There were still people "disappointed" when we lost to a very good Texas Tech team because in their heads we were supposed to make an Elite 8 and an injury was an excuse. That's just dumb.

Making an Elite 8 is half luck, half skill. I've done the research before - Purdue's bracket has RARELY busted and Purdue's played the highest seed possible in each of their rounds except like two games. Part of the luck is that during a grueling tournament - you get a break. Part of it is just matchups - we have such a solid first round tournament success because we've been able to take advantage of matchups (half coaching, half being the team you get to play and their style). The two times we've lost in the first round? Both were bad matchups (not saying we should have lost, but they presented challenges that the NCAA Tournament often presents to all sorts of teams). But going back to this year, in the Sweet 16 - Texas Tech was a terrible match up for not having Haas given how good they were defensively. Having Haas would have given guys like Vince, Dakota, etc. more space to work with - instead, they struggled offensively. There was no other team as good defensively.

Overall, college sports are just not worth getting angry about when you win. Basketball is a brutal sport - everyone ends on a loss except one team. In college football, half the teams end on a win. Can it be disappointing? Sure. Is it life altering? No.

An interesting discussion. My take. You can talk about recruiting all day long if you say great things and keep it positive. But if you dare to criticize it, you will be labeled a troll by "old people".

The same goes for posters with under 100 posts. They must be troll unless 99% of their posts praise Purdue. If you are not a rah rah person, you must be a troll. You MUST never offer objective or constructive commentary or discussion to this board. If you try, you MUST be a troll.

And then once you are labeled as a troll, you are placed on ignore, but they take you off ignore only to dis and attack you, and when you try to respond to their personal attacks, you are called out as being a troll and they encourage others to also place you on ignore.

Am I right?

I followed Carsen's recruitment. When Painter first started recruiting him, he was a quality unheralded 3star player. He was good, but was under the radar as far as national rankings go. When Painter first started recruited him, Purdue was by far the best offer he had received. After narrowing his choices, his ranking also significantly increased his Senior year. His ranking may have even climbed to be a 4star by the day he signed. But the reality is that he was a 3 star when Painter first targeted him and first started recruiting him. Should we give Painter credit for recruiting a 4 star player which he eventually became? Or should we admit He was a 3 star player when Painter first recruited him?

If IT becomes a 4 star player by the end of his senior year, do we give Painter credit for recruiting him as an elite 4 star player? Or do we admit he was a 3 star player when Painter recruited him and sold him on coming to Purdue?

You should not mix recruiting with development or accomplishments at Purdue. What a player accomplishes at Purdue should be reflected against a coach's coaching skills, not his recruiting ability. Coach Painter is a great coach at developing talent. It's very obvious. Carsen became an All American, because he developed into one, not because he was an all American before he arrived at Purdue.

I believe Painter's recruiting has become very consistent. Before the year starts, you could take a Rivals 300 list, and say with somewhat success and predict these are the 20-30 players he will target to recruit. They all seem to fit a mold. That's not bad or good, but is rather predictable. However, the same could be said about U.K., Duke and Kansas, and to some degree MSU and UCLA. My question is why doesn't Painter recruit the same players Duke and U.K. And Kansas recruits? Very rarely when I look at Duke's targeted players, do I see an offer also made by Purdue. When I was on the AAU circuit watching my son play, I saw all the BIG name coaches watching the elite athletes play. So I have to believe both Calipari and Painter were watching the same players. Yet those elite players would receive offers from U.K. But not Purdue. I never understood that.

And that remains the biggest question in my mind. While we curse at other programs like MSU, the reality is the NCAA believes they run a clean program. The same is true for Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and U.K. So why doesn't Painter recruit the same players they do? Painter recruits a certain type of player to fit his style and his system. I can accept that. What I can't understand is that he rarely targets or even tries to recruit the any of the top 25 players in the nation. I know he watches them play, but he never goes after them. Is it because he knows they won't fit into that square peg he has already created? To me Painter is more about finding players to fit his system, rather that adapting his system to match the talents of potential players. Who was Biggie's real recruiter? Painter or Barnes? Why doesn't Painter try to recruit more MCDonalds all Americans? You can't tell me he doesn't know who they are. But at times, it appears he doesn't even try, and instead sets his sites on the next tier of players and then tries to develop them.

Painter is a tremendous coach and developer of talent. However, I doubt we will ever see what he could do if he ever recruited the level of talent Duke recruits. Is Coach K a great coach? Or is he just a great recruiter? The same could be asked of Calipari. I've never really watched U.K. play, so I don't know if he actually coaches his players, or just lets the players coach themselves.

The one thing Painter is, is consistent. Whether he signs a player or not, they all fit a certain mold. Sometimes I wish he'd change that mold and change his style and go after different types of players. But I've learned to accept that he won't and the players he signs are the players he wants. I never expected Romeo to be the type of player Painter would recruit or the type of player who would want to play for Painter. The same could be said for the trio of players who signed to play for Duke. I can understand losing to Duke in a recruiting war. But I can't understand. Why Painter didn't at least try and make an offer to them. In the past 10 years, how many top 10 high school players has Painter even given an offer?

And I realize there are always reasons, and it's a two way street. Many top players don't want to come to Purdue or play for Painter. And for those players, I ask, what can we do to change that? Even if Painter wins an NCAA championship, I seriously doubt he would change the type of player he recruits, or that any top 10 athlete would change their mind about wanting to play at Purdue.

I'm not sad, mad or frustrated. I've come to the realization that it is what it is with very little change forthcoming. The same could be said about Keady and Knight. They were consistent and found players they wanted to fit their style of play. Who was the better coach? Was Keady a bad coach because his teams never reached the final 4? Was Michigan's and UW and Butler and Loyola's coach a great coach because they did?

An interesting discussion. My take. You can talk about recruiting all day long if you say great things and keep it positive. But if you dare to criticize it, you will be labeled a troll by "old people".

The same goes for posters with under 100 posts. They must be troll unless 99% of their posts praise Purdue. If you are not a rah rah person, you must be a troll. You MUST never offer objective or constructive commentary or discussion to this board. If you try, you MUST be a troll.

And then once you are labeled as a troll, you are placed on ignore, but they take you off ignore only to dis and attack you, and when you try to respond to their personal attacks, you are called out as being a troll and they encourage others to also place you on ignore.

Am I right?

I followed Carsen's recruitment. When Painter first started recruiting him, he was a quality unheralded 3star player. He was good, but was under the radar as far as national rankings go. When Painter first started recruited him, Purdue was by far the best offer he had received. After narrowing his choices, his ranking also significantly increased his Senior year. His ranking may have even climbed to be a 4star by the day he signed. But the reality is that he was a 3 star when Painter first targeted him and first started recruiting him. Should we give Painter credit for recruiting a 4 star player which he eventually became? Or should we admit He was a 3 star player when Painter first recruited him?

If IT becomes a 4 star player by the end of his senior year, do we give Painter credit for recruiting him as an elite 4 star player? Or do we admit he was a 3 star player when Painter recruited him and sold him on coming to Purdue?

You should not mix recruiting with development or accomplishments at Purdue. What a player accomplishes at Purdue should be reflected against a coach's coaching skills, not his recruiting ability. Coach Painter is a great coach at developing talent. It's very obvious. Carsen became an All American, because he developed into one, not because he was an all American before he arrived at Purdue.

I believe Painter's recruiting has become very consistent. Before the year starts, you could take a Rivals 300 list, and say with somewhat success and predict these are the 20-30 players he will target to recruit. They all seem to fit a mold. That's not bad or good, but is rather predictable. However, the same could be said about U.K., Duke and Kansas, and to some degree MSU and UCLA. My question is why doesn't Painter recruit the same players Duke and U.K. And Kansas recruits? Very rarely when I look at Duke's targeted players, do I see an offer also made by Purdue. When I was on the AAU circuit watching my son play, I saw all the BIG name coaches watching the elite athletes play. So I have to believe both Calipari and Painter were watching the same players. Yet those elite players would receive offers from U.K. But not Purdue. I never understood that.

And that remains the biggest question in my mind. While we curse at other programs like MSU, the reality is the NCAA believes they run a clean program. The same is true for Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and U.K. So why doesn't Painter recruit the same players they do? Painter recruits a certain type of player to fit his style and his system. I can accept that. What I can't understand is that he rarely targets or even tries to recruit the any of the top 25 players in the nation. I know he watches them play, but he never goes after them. Is it because he knows they won't fit into that square peg he has already created? To me Painter is more about finding players to fit his system, rather that adapting his system to match the talents of potential players. Who was Biggie's real recruiter? Painter or Barnes? Why doesn't Painter try to recruit more MCDonalds all Americans? You can't tell me he doesn't know who they are. But at times, it appears he doesn't even try, and instead sets his sites on the next tier of players and then tries to develop them.

Painter is a tremendous coach and developer of talent. However, I doubt we will ever see what he could do if he ever recruited the level of talent Duke recruits. Is Coach K a great coach? Or is he just a great recruiter? The same could be asked of Calipari. I've never really watched U.K. play, so I don't know if he actually coaches his players, or just lets the players coach themselves.

The one thing Painter is, is consistent. Whether he signs a player or not, they all fit a certain mold. Sometimes I wish he'd change that mold and change his style and go after different types of players. But I've learned to accept that he won't and the players he signs are the players he wants. I never expected Romeo to be the type of player Painter would recruit or the type of player who would want to play for Painter. The same could be said for the trio of players who signed to play for Duke. I can understand losing to Duke in a recruiting war. But I can't understand. Why Painter didn't at least try and make an offer to them. In the past 10 years, how many top 10 high school players has Painter even given an offer?

And I realize there are always reasons, and it's a two way street. Many top players don't want to come to Purdue or play for Painter. And for those players, I ask, what can we do to change that? Even if Painter wins an NCAA championship, I seriously doubt he would change the type of player he recruits, or that any top 10 athlete would change their mind about wanting to play at Purdue.

I'm not sad, mad or frustrated. I've come to the realization that it is what it is with very little change forthcoming. The same could be said about Keady and Knight. They were consistent and found players they wanted to fit their style of play. Who was the better coach? Was Keady a bad coach because his teams never reached the final 4? Was Michigan's and UW and Butler and Loyola's coach a great coach because they did?
I like this post. However you do see rather overly hurt by people disagree with you and internet labels.

I haven't posted here in ages, but have read the forums a lot and your entry statements sort of cloud the rest of your post. Let it go man, I mean really who cares what people on a forum think because you are never going to change the internet.

Back to your questions, I think Painter does a very good job of recruiting people for his system and that doesn't always fit those blue chip recruits. Also I don't think Painter should change to just land someone because once you do, the next recruit may not fit that change and you're in the same boat all over again and you have no identity.

That being said, there certainly is a change in the type of player Painter is going after. We are hands down more athletic now than we have been probably ever. Once recruits see more of that, more will start to come here.

Also it's only been a short time since Painter had the funding and support of the administration so he is playing "catch up" as it were. He has always seemed to have a eye for talent too hence why so many schools try and come in and grab players from us *cough* izzo *cough*.

But ultimately I think this will always be an ongoing thing and it is what it is. There is no "one size fits all" solution here which is why I think you stick the system you want to play, then go get the players that fit that system. It's worked pretty well for Painter so far and it's only a matter of time IMO until he gets that Final Four.

Last edited:
Jack Owens saw Carsen at a AAU event he went to out west. It was Owens who convinced Painter to recruit him. Now most of that info came from reading Brian but we already know many on here think they know more and then just make up fiction to cover their lack of real knowledge. Wolgib is right, he was a lightly recruited kid that turned out to be a huge blessing.

Jack Owens saw Carsen at a AAU event he went to out west. It was Owens who convinced Painter to recruit him. Now most of that info came from reading Brian but we already know many on here think they know more and then just make up fiction to cover their lack of real knowledge. Wolgib is right, he was a lightly recruited kid that turned out to be a huge blessing.
So you are saying the guy that should get credit for Carsen is no longer with the program?... got it.

I personally feel the 2017 class will go down as a tremendous class.

HAARMS
Eastern
Wheeler
Sasha

The 2019 class could end up a monster as well

IT
Gillis
Franklin?
Newman?
Hall?

If we could get just 2 of the last 3 listed for the 2019 class, I think we would have an awesome class that would rival some of Painter's best recruiting classes for sure. Although I see the value in getting a 5-star recruit, it's not always so wonderful if they leave after 1 year. I would rather have 3-star and 4-star guys who are going to stick around for 3 or 4 years. To me, a bunch of 3-star and 4-star recruits with maybe one 5-star recruit sounds about right. I mean if I were a Kentucky fan, how excited can you get about having practically a complete new team every year with a bunch of rented one and dones? Sure it is better than not making the tournament, but I like the way Purdue does things better. I really loved last year's team because we had team chemistry with players that had played together for a long time. Without sprained ankles and a broken elbow who knows what might have been. I really think Painter's recruiting is on the right track and if he keeps his nose to the grindstone on his recruiting efforts, I think we are going to have some great teams in the coming years!

So you are saying the guy that should get credit for Carsen is no longer with the program?... got it.

I don't take Heller's post to mean that. He might have meant that, but I take it a different way. I credit the coaching staff and team members for the recruiting effort and results, and give the head coach the credit. Many people do that, including people from other teams. Just my way. I like this approach because the other members of the staff can offer a validation or differing opinion that weighs a lot when the offers are made and scholarships awarded. The staff also plays a huge factor in recruiting with their personal one on one actions and developed relationships with the players being recruited. Additionally, current team members have influence here and can nix taking a recruit in a heart beat. That is why our beloved Boilermaker basketball team is a family that most times hold those friendships for decades after their playing days have expired.

But, lastly, the shoe companies have a ton of influence over recruiting. We probably will never know the entire level of influence, but I believe it to be much more than sending a player, his family, or his favorite charity a check. I believe this to be a large factor related to the players CMP has won and lost in the recruiting battles. So when CMP backs off a player early in recruiting, I always give the shoe companies credit. There may be other reasons, but I always give them the credit.

Reactions: Heller

Am I right?

I think this is quasi-BS. You have to be rah rah? Not exactly.

The problem is this: You are labeling everyone either as 100% rah rah....when the other option is basically 100% poop on Painter.

I am realistic in my approach - for example, I've stated multiple times that I think people are overhyping this upcoming team. However, that doesn't mean I want to fire Painter and I am grumpy about Purdue basketball.

People who complain about recruiting never actually have actual solutions or suggestions. It's not like Purdue's unique in recruiting challenges. And where Purdue has challenges, we also have advantages over other programs. And most people just go to we need a different coach when the time fits their agenda.

For example, we've lost good assistant coaches along the way. Sometimes you will just have that - Cuonzo Martin was not going to stay an assistant coach forever. However, I certainly recognize that we're not really giving them much pause when they do have offers elsewhere.

Historically, we've also reacted late. The Mackey Renovation came way too "after the fact". And quite frankly, Purdue's new facility was a good facility 15 years ago, not today (i.e. most schools were building practice facilities with 2 full practice courts for men's and women's teams when we were building 1.5 - to which both teams can't practice at the same time unless they can also use Mackey). The Mackey weight room? It's better than what we had - but compare it to others, it's not exactly leading the way - it played catch up to what schools had done in the 10 years prior, while at the same time schools were doing something better when we were playing catch up.

Mackey's renovation also didn't include video/sound upgrades....and we're still working on getting sound to an adequate spot in Mackey.

You look at Ross-Ade - the south end zone - almost 20 years after the renovation started - is still incomplete. 20 years!

So yes, we have a new athletic director - which is the driver for these things. But you can only do so much at one time, especially when you have a tight budget. What I don't want to see happen is we try to spend our way out of things - like Maryland did - and end up in a bad spot overall.

I've said it time and time again, Purdue has to be creative and work harder and smarter than other schools. This goes from the coaching staff to support staff, to marketing/promotions to fundraising, to facility planning.

I think Purdue's done a good job on social media for men's basketball. I was happy to see something outside of Mackey that talks about leading the Big Ten in championships - that sort of branding had been MIA for 30+ years.

A school like Purdue can't be elite without being bold. Until Purdue fully realizes this across the board (not just an individual sport here or there), it's not going to rise to the top. We don't have some things built in, but that doesn't mean we just sit back and resign ourselves to it. I've never seen Purdue operate boldly....

Painter finds out early who has their hands out looking for a Payday. These are the players the teams you mention are offering. He quickly removes them from his recruiting targets

Painter finds out early who has their hands out looking for a Payday. These are the players the teams you mention are offering. He quickly removes them from his recruiting targets
Painter doesn't offer most 5*, because most 5* players have no interest in coming to Purdue. It's that simple. He offers the 5* players that have a chance of getting away from the Dukes and Uks of college basketball (ie JJJ, Louis King, TJD, Brooks, Stewart). He isn't going to waste his time offering/recruiting the big time names (ie. Bagley, Barrett, Reddish, Ayton).

I would not be surprised to learn that ALL of the 5* recruits have heard from the shoe companies and are at risk for the Purdue team. Example only has to go as far as UofL. If you are suggesting that Purdue enter that part of the recruiting picture and risk getting stuck in a similar situation facing UofL, that would be another discussion that I predict would be "never ending" on this board.

Painter doesn't offer most 5*, because most 5* players have no interest in coming to Purdue. It's that simple. He offers the 5* players that have a chance of getting away from the Dukes and Uks of college basketball (ie JJJ, Louis King, TJD, Brooks, Stewart). He isn't going to waste his time offering/recruiting the big time names (ie. Bagley, Barrett, Reddish, Ayton).

Shoe companies!

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I would not be surprised to learn that ALL of the 5* recruits have heard from the shoe companies and are at risk for the Purdue team. Example only has to go as far as UofL. If you are suggesting that Purdue enter that part of the recruiting picture and risk getting stuck in a similar situation facing UofL, that would be another discussion that I predict would be "never ending" on this board.

Would venture to say a large majority of the kids in the Rivals top 150 are steered by their AAU coach (via apparel company) to attend a college of the same sponsorship. This isn't uncommon at all, has been happening for years, and in no way breaks any NCAA violation. No Painter may not want to engage in any of that, and that is his prerogative, but to insinuate a recruit isn't clean because he's getting guidance from his AAU program to attend one school (based on that colleges shoe sponsorship) isn't an NCAA violation.

Am I right?

I hate it when people generalize. I also hate posts that seem like I’m reading a poorly done term paper. All I can say is grow up and get a thicker skin Get more concise for heavens sake.

Am I right?

It must be depressing being you. I read the first 3 paragraphs of whining and had to stop. I tried to scroll down to the next post and it took me almost 20 minutes. Change your name to Wolstoy.

You mean players with their hands out like Aytom Bagley etc etc

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt

since the scandals are in the open & far less likely going forward...
we might see more top players getting recruited/offered by painter.

plus painter having a lot more $$/university support at his disposal too.

Last edited:
you may not have noticed, but I didn't feel compelled to post until I was forced to read through your 2 pages of immature posts of you're a troll; am not; are too; am not; yes you are; no I'm not !

And then you criticize my post and also harass me and call me names?

I guess if that's all you can do, and you feel good dissing people and calling others names, then I say, so be it.

you may not have noticed, but I didn't feel compelled to post until I was forced to read through your 2 pages of immature posts of you're a troll; am not; are too; am not; yes you are; no I'm not !

And then you criticize my post and also harass me and call me names?

I guess if that's all you can do, and you feel good dissing people and calling others names, then I say, so be it.
To whom are you responding?

If it was me, I understand. I was pretty curt with you, but your pages of posting wandering all over multiple subjects actually got me rustled. This is a message board which does imply sussinct and coherent postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT