ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

On paper and according to his 40 and vertical Kramer would be the more athletic just guessing off of what Carmody would put up. Kramer never played at the speed his 40 would suggest nor did he play above the rim like his vertical leap would suggest. Sure he had a dunk or two but he did not play to the metrics he was measured at. There are lots of kids who can test well at certain areas but at the same time cannot play at the speed or height they jump at. Track athletes are notorious for this. My point is on paper Kramer is by far the better athlete, but that doesn't mean it is or was fully represented on the court. I haven't watched enough from Hunter but I wouldn't put Phinisee's athleticism above Carmody at this point especially when you consider the height difference.

I would differ in that I believe Kramer did a pretty good job demonstrating his athletic prowess in his four seasons as a Boilermaker. I'm not interested in Carmody being a Boilermaker. Let it go.

My question was who's more athletic between Carmody and Kramer and based on your response, the answer was Kramer. That's all I needed to know. I didn't bring up the recruiting rankings and I would still pass on Carmody.
I asked you to put a point in time for a comparison of the 2. You can't compare a college athlete to a high school junior.

A reasonable person would use recruiting metrics/rankings as the benchmark as a comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.inthegymhoops.com/news_article/show/780978?referrer_id=2675245

Here is a link for some video on Phinisee. Carmody looks much more athletic and a better finisher at the rim. Phinisee goes to his left, but not as frequently or comfortably. Phinisee would be a very good player to get, I just think he is likely third on the priority list at guard for the '18 class. Would be happy to have him. He has good visions and passes the ball well. Would have liked to see some more defensive highlights. Defense is incredibly important at Purdue. Overall, I think all three of those guards have good athletic ability. I wouldn't compare any of them to a Ryne Smith or Cline, meaning then they can drive and get their own shots. Painter has been targeting versatility. Phinisee has decent length, but he is much shorter than a lot of the other '18 and '19 targets. The closest thing we have to a true point guard after next year will be Eastern who is 6'5-6'6. Purdue's system doesn't necessarily need a traditional point guard, but guard play has been some what of a liability the last couple of years.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I am sure everyone has their own definition of what an athlete is. For me it’s much more than running fast or jumping high. Athletic ability has a lot to do with balance and body motion control. Physical strength and size also play a role when we are talking D1 basketball. I just looked at some video of Robby Carmody and it’s hard to say what kind of straight line speed he has but, I did see a few clips of him blowing by defenders that were trying to catch him. Carmody was dribbling the basketball the defenders were not. I also watched a clip of him completing a 53” box jump. My untrained eye says Robby Carmody is way above average when it comes to athletic ability. Combine that with his physical size and I would say he would be a very good get for Purdue.

Personally out of the 3 in order of preference it goes Carmody, Hunter then Phinisee but I would be happy getting any 1 or 2 of the 3. Add 1 between Jallow and Anderson, Nance and maybe a big and that is a fantastic 4 man class.
wish list
Hunter/Phinisee
Carmody
Damezi Anderson
TBD Big

That will be a solid top 20 class

I am sure everyone has their own definition of what an athlete is. For me it’s much more than running fast or jumping high. Athletic ability has a lot to do with balance and body motion control. Physical strength and size also play a role when we are talking D1 basketball. I just looked at some video of Robby Carmody and it’s hard to say what kind of straight line speed he has but, I did see a few clips of him blowing by defenders that were trying to catch him. Carmody was dribbling the basketball the defenders were not. I also watched a clip of him completing a 53” box jump. My untrained eye says Robby Carmody is way above average when it comes to athletic ability. Combine that with his physical size and I would say he would be a very good get for Purdue.
I would tend to agree. However playing at Big Ten speed vs HS speed is a huge leap. Took Dakota awhile to adjust and I think Carmody will be similar in needing time to adjust.

I hope Painter doesn't land Carmody. Did CMP not watch the game against Kansas? Purdue has had plenty of slow-footed guards in its history and during Painter's tenure. He doesn't need to add yet another one.

Besides Swanigan, Carmody has one of the most impressive offer lists of any recruit Painter has landed. To get a commit from him would be huge for the program.

If you want Purdue to recruit to the level of UNC or Kentucky, then hop on that bandwagon and you will be a lot happier. Very few programs consistently get the type of players you seem to want, and it's not going to start happening any time soon at Purdue unfortunately.

Besides Swanigan, Carmody has one of the most impressive offer lists of any recruit Painter has landed. To get a commit from him would be huge for the program.

If you want Purdue to recruit to the level of UNC or Kentucky, then hop on that bandwagon and you will be a lot happier. Very few programs consistently get the type of players you seem to want, and it's not going to start happening any time soon at Purdue unfortunately.
Plus it's usually safe to say that whatever nag posts, the opposite is generally true. While he likes to think he has this 'eye' for this stuff, he really has no idea what is going on. Paris Hilton knows more about rocket science than nag does about basketball by comparison.

There is a reason he is such a mockery on here.

Plus it's usually safe to say that whatever nag posts, the opposite is generally true. While he likes to think he has this 'eye' for this stuff, he really has no idea what is going on. Paris Hilton knows more about rocket science than nag does about basketball by comparison.

There is a reason he is such a mockery on here.
You guys are being too tough on Nags. He's okay. He just want Purdue to win, win it all, or as much as we can. To that end, he applies basic problem solving skills - like if what you are doing isn't working, then try something different. That's why he pushes zone defense, etc.

I like the game summaries he posts before each game. He follows events and activities going on with the team closely. I say give him a break.
:cool:

You guys are being too tough on Nags.
He brings a lot of it on himself, sort of like kesselschmeck does to be fair.

He just want Purdue to win, win it all, or as much as we can.
We all do.

To that end, he applies basic problem solving skills - like if what you are doing isn't working, then try something different. That's why he pushes zone defense, etc.
It's one thing to push different philosophies, it's another to be so arrogant about it that when provided sound, logical and comprehensive counter-points, they are immediately dismissed and generally ignored.

I like the game summaries he posts before each game. He follows events and activities going on with the team closely.
That I will agree.

I say give him a break.
As I said he brings a lot of this on himself in how he responds to people. The fact that he needs defending in such a manner as you have, speaks volumes to my point.

See I know I don't know everything and I also know that I have been wrong on topics and will be wrong again and I freely admit that. Nag doesn't even entertain the idea that he could be wrong about zone or simply over-thinking things and then when you try and have cross-posts about it with him, his arrogance comes out in a blink. Which is why I for one just don't even bother anymore.

I applaud you for trying to stand up for him and I respect your position and your posts, we just disagree on this one.

We all do.

It's one thing to push different philosophies, it's another to be so arrogant about it that when provided sound, logical and comprehensive counter-points, they are immediately dismissed and generally ignored.

That I will agree.

As I said he brings a lot of this on himself in how he responds to people. The fact that he needs defending in such a manner as you have, speaks volumes to my point.

See I know I don't know everything and I also know that I have been wrong on topics and will be wrong again and I freely admit that. Nag doesn't even entertain the idea that he could be wrong about zone or simply over-thinking things and then when you try and have cross-posts about it with him, his arrogance comes out in a blink. Which is why I for one just don't even bother anymore.

I applaud you for trying to stand up for him and I respect your position and your posts, we just disagree on this one.
If you don't like him then put him on ignore. This ganging up on one poster ruins the board.

If you don't like him then put him on ignore.
I don't even interact with him so it doesn't matter. This isn't like twin who posts very little outside of something IU related. While nag's posts are predictable and off base, there are subsequent good discussions by other posters in his threads from time to time.

This ganging up on one poster ruins the board.
If you don't like them, then put us on ignore. I'm done commenting on it so if the subject continues, that is on you.

You guys are being too tough on Nags. He's okay. He just want Purdue to win, win it all, or as much as we can. To that end, he applies basic problem solving skills - like if what you are doing isn't working, then try something different. That's why he pushes zone defense, etc.

I like the game summaries he posts before each game. He follows events and activities going on with the team closely. I say give him a break.
Sometimes hitting your fingers with a rubber hammer doesn't get better by using a steel mallet, but being his favorite teacher...I'm not going to pile on

Reactions: BoilerDaddy

We all do.

That I will agree.

All good points. Lord knows I am often wrong or misinformed when I post too. I do try to be humble about it most of the time. The times when I try to be more strident or argumentative... well I usually am wrong 50% of the time.

As for the push from Nags about zone defense... I think I learned more about basketball reading the responses fo him than I had over the previous year. This forum is full of posters who gladly share their knowledge, when provoked. It seems a good thing the provocation was provided, by Nags. We all benefitted.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
All good points. Lord knows I am often wrong or misinformed when I post too. I do try to be humble about it most of the time. The times when I try to be more strident or argumentative... well I usually am wrong 50% of the time.

As for the push from Nags about zone defense... I think I learned more about basketball reading the responses fo him than I had over the previous year. This forum is full of posters who gladly share their knowledge, when provoked. It seems a good thing the provocation was provided, by Nags. We all benefitted.
That's a very noble take on the subject. I too have learned much from the responses to his zone posts.
I must point out however, the very posts that you and I appreciate and learn from are ignored by Nage. He doesn't learn from them, nor does he give any credit to those taking the time to try and educate him.
While the knowledge that you and I have acquired from the other posters is clearly beneficial, it was a byproduct of his posts........it was clearly not his intent. I won't give credit for that.
I became interested in pistols several years ago. That interest turned into somewhat of a passion. I went on forums, asked questions, paid attention and tried to learn from knowledgeable people. Two things. I recognized I knew little and acted accordingly.......... and just because I was passionate about the subject didn't mean I knew much about it.

Last edited:

my fingers hurt

Reactions: mathboy
Consider this first team all Indiana Romeo Langford , Kris Wilkes (UCLA) , Jaylen Butz (DePaul) , Jack Nunge (Iowa) and Rob Phinisee . Eric Hunter and Sasha Stefanovic were 3rd team . Romeo said Rob was the hardest player he ever had to guard ever . He played Hunter in the championship game of Indyclassic last weekend Rob hit 3 three's to start the game and the game winner with 4 seconds remaining . I highly doubt anyone who watched that game would take Hunter over Rob . He was named MVP . Painter and Ryan Cline watched the game along with many other big name coaches including IU's Miller . Rob did whatever he wanted while Hunter an excellent player could do little to even slow him down . Rob scored 31 in the state championship game with Romeo guarding him . I don't know about a priority but Jack and Painter were at several of his games the last few years . He was selected by the AP as the best PG in Indiana regardless of class this year . Full disclosure I know the family and Rob personally . Also Rob plays for Indiana Elite AAU as does my Grandson only the Grandson plays on the 3rd grade team and 4th grade team . I also have many other connections way to many to list . I was there when Brian Neubert and jack Owens discovered Rob he dominated CJ Walker and I mean dominated at the time CJ was a Purdue commit and Rob a freshmen . IMO Rob isn't the best of the four Phinisee Brothers that honor goes to 8th grader Joseph although he may play football . If the sports writer in Indiana voted him first team nothing I could say would compare . Like I said its personal with me .

Consider this first team all Indiana Romeo Langford , Kris Wilkes (UCLA) , Jaylen Butz (DePaul) , Jack Nunge (Iowa) and Rob Phinisee . Eric Hunter and Sasha Stefanovic were 3rd team . Romeo said Rob was the hardest player he ever had to guard ever . He played Hunter in the championship game of Indyclassic last weekend Rob hit 3 three's to start the game and the game winner with 4 seconds remaining . I highly doubt anyone who watched that game would take Hunter over Rob . He was named MVP . Painter and Ryan Cline watched the game along with many other big name coaches including IU's Miller . Rob did whatever he wanted while Hunter an excellent player could do little to even slow him down . Rob scored 31 in the state championship game with Romeo guarding him . I don't know about a priority but Jack and Painter were at several of his games the last few years . He was selected by the AP as the best PG in Indiana regardless of class this year . Full disclosure I know the family and Rob personally . Also Rob plays for Indiana Elite AAU as does my Grandson only the Grandson plays on the 3rd grade team and 4th grade team . I also have many other connections way to many to list . I was there when Brian Neubert and jack Owens discovered Rob he dominated CJ Walker and I mean dominated at the time CJ was a Purdue commit and Rob a freshmen . IMO Rob isn't the best of the four Phinisee Brothers that honor goes to 8th grader Joseph although he may play football . If the sports writer in Indiana voted him first team nothing I could say would compare . Like I said its personal with me .

He has struck me as a kid who does almost everything well but nothing spectacular. I don't really have any doubt that he will be a successful college player for somebody and if he ends up at IU or Butler we will never hear the end of it on this site about Purdue missing on him and Painter can't recruit and blah blah blah. He may be more developed than Hunter at this point and a better player now but I was just lead to believe that Hunter may have more potential . Part of this could be related to their heights. I remember an article saying Robert's older brother was much more athletic than him but suffered one or two knee injuries that held him back in high school.

Reactions: oldboiler52
But you have seen him more than anyone and should have better insight. I'm always cautious seeing a player one time

On a scale of Dakota Mathias to Grayson Allen, Carmody is athletically much closer to Allen than Mathias. IMO anyone who says they don't want Carmody because he lacks athleticism is clearly uninformed.

And as for the comment on Hunter vs Phinisee, I would absolutely take Hunter first. Rob is more polished today but Hunter has more upside IMO.

He is a priority but if he chooses to go elsewhere I am sure there will be the naysayers that say:
1. He isn't that good anyway
2. CMP is an idiot for just letting him get away from campus
3. CMP didn't recruit him in the first place
He will never be a big impact D1 PG. That jumper is his undoing. See: Tun Tum, Ronnie "Sauce" Johnson. Donald Perry, etc...

That's a very noble take on the subject. I too have learned much from the responses to his zone posts.
I must point out however, the very posts that you and I appreciate and learn from are ignored by Nage. He doesn't learn from them, nor does he give any credit to those taking the time to try and educate him.
While the knowledge that you and I have acquired from the other posters is clearly beneficial, it was a byproduct of his posts........it was clearly not his intent. I won't give credit for that.
I became interested in pistols several years ago. That interest turned into somewhat of a passion. I went on forums, asked questions, paid attention and tried to learn from knowledgeable people. Two things. I recognized I knew little and acted accordingly.......... and just because I was passionate about the subject didn't mean I knew much about it.
my go to carry is a SAS sig 938 ;
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...776_01_sig_sauer_p938_sas_for_1911_pr_640.jpg

Has anyone here seen him play? He looks to be good but not great from the brief video clips I've seen online - which are really difficult to use for assessing a player
I've seen him play twice last year. He gets to the rim and finishes with either hand extremely well. He also shot well from the outside in those two games. It would be extremely disappointing if Purdue missed out on a kid this good so close to home.

I've seen Rob play plenty and went to the state finals last year to watch two high profile kids face off. The thing about Langford was he's quietly playing, then you look up and you wonder how he's put 15 on the board. With Rob, he just seems to do anything he wants and looks very natural with the ball in his hand. Extremely smooth. I just don't see any reason to not pursue Rob and make sure he stays in town. It will not be a good sign if he gets away. If you can't sell the program to a kid this close, something is wrong.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
How's his jumper? I don't want a PG that can't shoot. Period.

I've seen Rob play plenty and went to the state finals last year to watch two high profile kids face off. The thing about Langford was he's quietly playing, then you look up and you wonder how he's put 15 on the board. With Rob, he just seems to do anything he wants and looks very natural with the ball in his hand. Extremely smooth. I just don't see any reason to not pursue Rob and make sure he stays in town. It will not be a good sign if he gets away. If you can't sell the program to a kid this close, something is wrong.

I disagree on the part where you say something is wrong if he doesn't go to Purdue. It's not like Butler or IU are bad schools and they really aren't that far away. Lots of hometown products get away from the local schools. Lafayette isn't known to be a talent rich area regarding basketball so it's not like there is a long line of history suggesting all the local kids go to Purdue.

I'd be happy with any of the three mentioned above as long as they were paired with a big man with equal level talents!

Maybe 2018 starts a trend where CMP lands a high percentage of guys like Phinisee, Henry, Hunter, Carmody which are his first guard choices....... Would love Purdue to land 2 of those guys.

As far as Eastern I wonder if he doesn't play the 3 next year with Wheeler.....with DM and Cline at the 2

Sometimes versatility is a bad thing! And to help the team a player doesn't play his best position! Eastern could create tremendous mis matches at pg and that's his best position! But in order to get playing time he'll play out of position! And rather than playing pg after pj leaves, we sign one of these three and Eastern is likely to remain an undersized SF rather than taking advantage of his potential!

Sometimes versatility is a bad thing! And to help the team a player doesn't play his best position! Eastern could create tremendous mis matches at pg and that's his best position! But in order to get playing time he'll play out of position! And rather than playing pg after pj leaves, we sign one of these three and Eastern is likely to remain an undersized SF rather than taking advantage of his potential!

Size wise he could create mismatches at pg for sure......I was just wondering if Eastern was quick enough to play the pg @ Purdue?

Size wise he could create mismatches at pg for sure......I was just wondering if Eastern was quick enough to play the pg @ Purdue?

That's what we'll find out! It's clear we need to add speed at pg over what we currently have!

Has anyone seen Aaron Henry play? From the youtube clips, it looks like he is a great athlete, defender, slasher with pretty good ball skills. Lots of potential

I disagree on the part where you say something is wrong if he doesn't go to Purdue. It's not like Butler or IU are bad schools and they really aren't that far away. Lots of hometown products get away from the local schools. Lafayette isn't known to be a talent rich area regarding basketball so it's not like there is a long line of history suggesting all the local kids go to Purdue.

IMO something is wrong if he goes elsewhere. That just seems obvious to me. If Painter is the coach that many here say he is, he lands this kid easy. I'm not going to lay the foundation ahead of time for the excuses later just in case he swings and misses with him. I'm also not going to turn and claim he's not that great of a talent if he goes elsewhere either. He's a good kid and great local talent to let get away. Worst case scenario is a new coach (Miller) at our rival school lands him. In our own backyard. That would be very bad.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
IMO something is wrong if he goes elsewhere. That just seems obvious to me. If Painter is the coach that many here say he is, he lands this kid easy. I'm not going to lay the foundation ahead of time for the excuses later just in case he swings and misses with him. I'm also not going to turn and claim he's not that great of a talent if he goes elsewhere either. He's a good kid and great local talent to let get away. Worst case scenario is a new coach (Miller) at our rival school lands him. In our own backyard. That would be very bad.

We are in on a couple of good to possibly very good guards. I won't judge a miss on Phinisee til I see what the final 2018 class looks like. If we get Hunter or Carmody or another guard with very solid potential I'm not going to stress about missing out on Phinisee.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT