ADVERTISEMENT

5 prospects to watch in IHSAA state tournament

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
The IHSAA boys basketball state tournament kicks off tomorrow and Boiler Upload has five prospects to watch, including a Purdue signee, priority target and intriguing prospects.

(Premium article for subscribers)

Watched Cathedral beat Zionsville last week Cathedral has a 6-9 junior, Brady Koehler, who grew 7 inches since last year but kept his guard skills. Very good ball-handling and shooting skills. Not a dominant player -- yet -- but looks to have what it takes. Probably no room for him at Purdue for 2025.

Watched Cathedral beat Zionsville last week Cathedral has a 6-9 junior, Brady Koehler, who grew 7 inches since last year but kept his guard skills. Very good ball-handling and shooting skills. Not a dominant player -- yet -- but looks to have what it takes. Probably no room for him at Purdue for 2025.
reminds me of Brad Miller story in H.S

I think some of the Gold members come thru here for the entertainment value

And theres those few who are pretty knowledgeable.

Off the top of my head Sisley (Heritage Hills), Reynolds (South Bend Washington), and Lampley (Tindley) are three in-state players with Purdue interest that would be worth keeping an eye on. I'm sure there are others I'm unaware of or not thinking of right now.

Off the top of my head Sisley (Heritage Hills), Reynolds (South Bend Washington), and Lampley (Tindley) are three in-state players with Purdue interest that would be worth keeping an eye on. I'm sure there are others I'm unaware of or not thinking of right now.
From everything I hear, Painter is all in on Sisley. But he has been known to go after a lesser known player with potential. ;)

I did see that Shrewsbury offered the Cathedral kid.

From everything I hear, Painter is all in on Sisley. But he has been known to go after a lesser known player with potential. ;)

I did see that Shrewsbury offered the Cathedral kid.
Shrews just gonna be always there on the recruiting trail isn’t he? 😂 he’s gonna be our biggest competition with in state kids. He went to cathedral right? Wonder if he will set up a pipeline haha.

But have heard similar things on Sisley and Purdue. Wonder where Haralson stands with his recruiting…still think he goes out of state somewhere.

Shrews just gonna be always there on the recruiting trail isn’t he? 😂 he’s gonna be our biggest competition with in state kids. He went to cathedral right? Wonder if he will set up a pipeline haha.

But have heard similar things on Sisley and Purdue. Wonder where Haralson stands with his recruiting…still think he goes out of state somewhere.
Not super worried about Shrews til they start winning and that seems a year or two away at a minimum. That ND teams just not talented.

Not so sure that we won't see a huge leap at Notre Dame next season. They have already started to play better in the past couple weeks this season. Burton is a player and him getting all this experience as a freshman is going to be invaluable to him/them the next few years.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Not so sure that we won't see a huge leap at Notre Dame next season. They have already started to play better in the past couple weeks this season. Burton is a player and him getting all this experience as a freshman is going to be invaluable to him/them the next few years.

Agree - they have maybe 3 ACC caliber players this year. Instead of quick-fixing like at PSU, he wants to build culture and be there for the long-haul.

Doesn't mean he will be successful, but I think he will.

He can start picking off 2025 recruits—Sisley, Haralson and more in state kids. IU doesn’t care about Indiana kids so ND is our biggest competition in the recruiting area.
Just looked up their 2024 commitments. Three of them but none from Indiana. Got the 66th ranked player in the class.

Will also be interesting to see what portal activity they have coming and going. Remember thinking last year that Newman might end up there but that obviously didn't happen.

I too have heard that Sisley favors Purdue. IDK, I have no inside knowledge of Haralson, but based on his path of going from Anderson (Legacy Christian prior to HS) to Fishers to LaLumier has me beliving he's too "big time" for Purdue. I would imagine he'll end up somewhere we can't compete with from an NIL standpoint.

I too have heard that Sisley favors Purdue. IDK, I have no inside knowledge of Haralson, but based on his path of going from Anderson (Legacy Christian prior to HS) to Fishers to LaLumier has me beliving he's too "big time" for Purdue. I would imagine he'll end up somewhere we can't compete with from an NIL standpoint.
Some believe we have a shot at Haralson - I don’t know if we do or not. I think the challenge we will see with NIL going forward is who is going to get promises of large packages/offers as freshmen? Part of me wonders if the future for him is more concerned with path of developing him for his 1 year so he can be NBA ready. Does he have the right coaches and teammates around him to get to showcase his skills? Perhaps that’s our pitch instead of money it is opportunity.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
hearing to Duke

Reactions: Boiler79
Mullens? but prolly going nd

Just looked up their 2024 commitments. Three of them but none from Indiana. Got the 66th ranked player in the class.

Will also be interesting to see what portal activity they have coming and going. Remember thinking last year that Newman might end up there but that obviously didn't happen.
He may have not got Indiana kids but he’s right there with painter and offering them.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Part of me wonders if the future for him is more concerned with path of developing him for his 1 year so he can be NBA ready. Does he have the right coaches and teammates around him to get to showcase his skills? Perhaps that’s our pitch instead of money it is opportunity.
That's what I'm wondering as well. He left a stacked Fishers team to go play at LaLumiere. It's fair to say his development is important to him. I'm just not sure that's a recruiting game Painter wants to play or could succeed in. We all know he's honest with recruits and doesn't promise the pie in the sky their Freshman season. I'm guessing it's hart to pitch a recruit you can prepare him to be 1 and done without promising immediate PT and the ability to play around other NBA talent.

I would be pleasantly surprised (if it works) if we were able to pull in a 1 and done or borderline 1 and done type of recruit. That type of player just seems like the antithesis to Painter's style and culture.

That's what I'm wondering as well. He left a stacked Fishers team to go play at LaLumiere. It's fair to say his development is important to him. I'm just not sure that's a recruiting game Painter wants to play or could succeed in. We all know he's honest with recruits and doesn't promise the pie in the sky their Freshman season. I'm guessing it's hart to pitch a recruit you can prepare him to be 1 and done without promising immediate PT and the ability to play around other NBA talent.

I would be pleasantly surprised (if it works) if we were able to pull in a 1 and done or borderline 1 and done type of recruit. That type of player just seems like the antithesis to Painter's style and culture.
This is true. Without knowing who we have on our lineup starting the 2025 season, it is hard to know what minutes are available. I mean as kid who probably play 1-3, he has to contend with Smith, Loyer, Cam, Colvin, Cox and Harris (sorry if I missed someone). That is assuming they are all still here. That is a tough sell but then again you never know.

Maybe in the future? If it happens and Purdue continues on its path I think Matt changes the number of sets he runs to a smaller number which I think starts to happen more next year. If you have the right kids that are talented, smart kids on the court, and team oriented (how often does that happen with a 1 and done?), I can see Matt leaving more motion on the court especially if Purdue doesn't have a dominant 5 down low. The team or 5 man some want I believe is Jacobson where he can go out on the perimeter just fine. However, Purdue has risen to the heights it has due to 5 man play. When teams were not recruiting 7 footers, Matt did and is now looked upon as a place for a 5 man to go. Years ago the key was getting good 1s and 5s as there were many to pick from at the 2,3 and 4 spots

Funny, I was just talking to my buddy about him. He coached his AAU team and feels Purdue should offer. In the same conversation we were discussing Trent Sisley and he believes per many conversations with Matt (Trent's dad) that Purdue is in the lead for a landing spot. He has noticed a huge drop even below the Crean day's at IU for Indiana high school basketball recruiting.

To think that Furst and Smith could have landed at IU. I know Furst has had some issues lately but still a formidable back-up for Ware. Thanks IU for being such a d*mbass program.

Last edited:
Jon Anthony Hall from Fishers should be on our board for Football. He's an explosive athlete. Based on some of the dunks I've seen of his he has to have a very high vertical leap.

Fishers also has a 5'9 Freshman PG who is very good. Again, only 5'9 so not sure what he's outlook is, but he's very impressive as a 9th grader running point for Fishers. I've seen him hit some dagger 3's lately in clutch situations.

Jason Gardner's son is a Freshman who gets a lot of PT off the bench for Fishers.

Edit. We have offered Hall a football scholarship.

Maybe in the future? If it happens and Purdue continues on its path I think Matt changes the number of sets he runs to a smaller number which I think starts to happen more next year. If you have the right kids that are talented, smart kids on the court, and team oriented (how often does that happen with a 1 and done?), I can see Matt leaving more motion on the court especially if Purdue doesn't have a dominant 5 down low. The team or 5 man some want I believe is Jacobson where he can go out on the perimeter just fine. However, Purdue has risen to the heights it has due to 5 man play. When teams were not recruiting 7 footers, Matt did and is now looked upon as a place for a 5 man to go. Years ago the key was getting good 1s and 5s as there were many to pick from at the 2,3 and 4 spots
Interesting thought on the motion. I tend to think that as long as Smith is around that Purdue will run a lot of plays for him.

Interesting thought on the motion. I tend to think that as long as Smith is around that Purdue will run a lot of plays for him.
So I do think you need some sets or continuity offense when play in motion goes stale. The sets and plays help with the short shot clock...and low post play with that clock. There are questions in Trey/Caleb and Berg as to who is ready to go and what they can do. I doubt Purdue totally gives up the low post with Trey and maybe Berg, but think what those three can do will set an offense. That said I think Purdue is more up and down. Now, if Caleb/Trey and Berg were a threat to 17 or so (don't have to be behind the arc, but great if they can), then Purdue can play them up high and open up some driving lanes. I don't know that you run too many sets or plays for Braden as much as you just try to keep him in some space where he can drive the ball, pull up or hit the open man.

There are so many questions we can only guess and may be 180 off of our thoughts in November. I think we are safe to think that Braden, Fletcher and Trey get minutes and that the offense will be heavily around them, but like I was with Braden...Kanon can play. He will get minutes. So many questions on Harris/Cox/Myles/Cam/Caleb/Berg? Do think Cam is in the lead and would expect Myles to be in the lead "if" Cam moves to a 4. If Cam is at the 3, then Myles speed of play at a 2 might be a question with Harris and Cox, but Myles should get minutes next year and could easily be a starter. Still, all this is crazy and I personally believe that "IF" Caleb wants it bad enough he can change a lot of things. I'm just too ignorant of how things will be...although I believe Jacobson as good as I think he will be, will shirt and get a bit more strength

Not sure who was listed in the article,but here's a few to watch and links to the games

Grady Carpenter and Nolan Swan (Tipton)- One of the best backcourts north Of Indy. Carpenter is a Junior who is #1 in Indiana and #25 in the nation in Assists Per Game (8.2) and averages 18 PPG. Swan is a Senior who leads the team in Scoring averaging 19 PPG and is #11 in Indiana in 3 Pointers Made (82).

Isaac Andrews (Wapahani)- Senior who is #7 in Indiana in both 3 Pointers Made (91) and Scoring (24.9 PPG)

Tipton vs Wapahani

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=1008995 (It says radio on the thumb nail, but it's a video stream)

Kellen Pickett (Fort Wayne Blackhawk) Junior who averages a Double-Double and is #6 in Indiana in Rebounds (12.3 RPG) and #4 in Indiana in Blocks (4 per game)

Lafayette Central Catholic vs Fort Wayne Blackhawk

Cam Craig (Switzerland County)- Junior who has scored 1,300 points so far in his career, even with missing all but 3 games last season due to a broken leg. #5 in Indiana in Scoring (25.3 PPG)

Switzerland County vs Forest Park

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
Not sure who was listed in the article,but here's a few to watch and links to the games

Grady Carpenter and Nolan Swan (Tipton)- One of the best backcourts north Of Indy. Carpenter is a Junior who is #1 in Indiana and #25 in the nation in Assists Per Game (8.2) and averages 18 PPG. Swan is a Senior who leads the team in Scoring averaging 19 PPG and is #11 in Indiana in 3 Pointers Made (82).

Isaac Andrews (Wapahani)- Senior who is #7 in Indiana in both 3 Pointers Made (91) and Scoring (24.9 PPG)

Tipton vs Wapahani

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=1008995 (It says radio on the thumb nail, but it's a video stream)

Kellen Pickett (Fort Wayne Blackhawk) Junior who averages a Double-Double and is #6 in Indiana in Rebounds (12.3 RPG) and #4 in Indiana in Blocks (4 per game)

Lafayette Central Catholic vs Fort Wayne Blackhawk

Cam Craig (Switzerland County)- Junior who has scored 1,300 points so far in his career, even with missing all but 3 games last season due to a broken leg. #5 in Indiana in Scoring (25.3 PPG)

Switzerland County vs Forest Park

I may slip down to Tipton Lapel to catch the game (just called nephew and reminded it was at Lapel where he says Tipton rarely plays well there. I know the coach of Tipton (and some others ;) ) and my nephew is A.D. at Tipton. Couldn't remember the Carpenter name, but knew it started with a C. He caught my eye as a freshman...long legged kid. FWIW, Cliff (coach) told me that he sees a lot of Matt's practices when able and calls Matt or if at Purdue asks Matt his thoughts on where Carpenter needs to improve or thoughts on particulars to develop that. FWIW, Cliff sent one to IU (Luke Recker) and a kid a year or two later to Purdue that lasted a year or so and wasn't near as good as Luke. Cliff is a Purdue grad.

Last edited:
Reactions: NEIndyBOILER
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT