ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

Thanks but you didn't answer the question.

Your question is irrelevant as he's considering state schools. If he didn't want to stay in state, he wouldn't be saying he's considering and will visit IU. No reason to entertain a tangent question.

Last edited:
Wow, you must think Painter has no idea what he's doing if he offered Phinisee but may not want him. You don't "Prioritize" your offers. You either decide you want a player, then offer, or you don't offer. You think Painter will just take it back because he thinks he's going to get another player? I think you're desperately creating cover in case we don't get Robert. I won't.
You really don't understand recruiting. You prioritize by how much attention you give each recruit. And in some cases (though doubtful this one), you actually tell a kid that he has an offer contingent upon what another recruit does.

Reactions: Gemini95
Just to be clear, can we assume you believe no recruit has ever visited a school they had no intention of attending?

Just to be clear, can we assume you believe a recruit will visit, openly say in an interview he's going to consider, goes to a huge game (IU vs NC) but is lying and wants to go elsewhere? I think you're just creating cover in case he gets away. I wish you'd stop with these nutty hypothetical excuses. He says he's GOING to visit IU. He HAS AN OFFER from Painter. There are no excuses. If he goes out of state, then there is something wrong here and in Bloomington.

Just to be clear, can we assume you believe a recruit will visit, openly say in an interview he's going to consider, goes to a huge game (IU vs NC) but is lying and wants to go elsewhere? I think you're just creating cover in case he gets away. I wish you'd stop with these nutty hypothetical excuses. He says he's GOING to visit IU. He HAS AN OFFER from Painter. There are no excuses. If he goes out of state, then there is something wrong here and in Bloomington.

Why would anyone need a cover if he gets away? Do you think he is a must get? I've only seen him one time and can certainly get fooled seeing someone once...good or bad. I know when players are really good and they go elsewhere we seem to understand the blue bloods getting them and so since this player is not one of them...or at least doesn't seem to be one of them like the two forwards Purdue missed (Jackson,Williams)...why does he become a must have prospect? I suspect he has a lot of friends wanting him to stay close and all things equal a lean to Purdue, but if court time, major, girfriend...so many other variables lean different why would we expect him to go to Purdue?

Now again, I have no idea how badly Purdue wants him...nor how good he really is since I only saw him once against many other players that won't play D1. IF he is much better than my initial impression or the bluebloods are missing out on him...then YES Purdue needs to go strong on him. The kid is a great player (as all D1 players are) and have no idea the hunger to get better inside of him or the potential in front of him...but is he a must get? If he is really that good, then Purdue really needs to put the press on him and gets as many favorable things for him to think about, but if he falls shy of that degree of "goodness" or others Purdue are recruiting might be a better fit for Purdue...Purdue should make them a priority.

I know old Boiler really likes him and in fairness has seen him play MANY more times than the rest of us. Do you have insight as well into him as a player or just your visual comparison to others make him a great get in your mind?

Reactions: BBG
You are certainly welcome to your opinion, however myopic it might be.

Pursuing this train of logic, Texas has a big problem because it lost Carsen Edwards. OSU has a problem (well, lately it does, but for other reasons) because Vince and Dakota Mathias came here. Alabama has a problem because Isaac Haas came here. The Netherlands has a problem because ...

Your question is irrelevant as he's considering state schools. If he didn't want to stay in state, he wouldn't be saying he's considering and will visit IU. No reason to entertain a tangent question.
Oh so recruits don't play along with the game? Clearly you are new to college basketball and the world of recruiting.

I'll go ahead and put your response to my comment "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL"

Why would anyone need a cover if he gets away? Do you think he is a must get? I've only seen him one time and can certainly get fooled seeing someone once...good or bad. I know when players are really good and they go elsewhere we seem to understand the blue bloods getting them and so since this player is not one of them...or at least doesn't seem to be one of them like the two forwards Purdue missed (Jackson,Williams)...why does he become a must have prospect? I suspect he has a lot of friends wanting him to stay close and all things equal a lean to Purdue, but if court time, major, girfriend...so many other variables lean different why would we expect him to go to Purdue?

Now again, I have no idea how badly Purdue wants him...nor how good he really is since I only saw him once against many other players that won't play D1. IF he is much better than my initial impression or the bluebloods are missing out on him...then YES Purdue needs to go strong on him. The kid is a great player (as all D1 players are) and have no idea the hunger to get better inside of him or the potential in front of him...but is he a must get? If he is really that good, then Purdue really needs to put the press on him and gets as many favorable things for him to think about, but if he falls shy of that degree of "goodness" or others Purdue are recruiting might be a better fit for Purdue...Purdue should make them a priority.

I know old Boiler really likes him and in fairness has seen him play MANY more times than the rest of us. Do you have insight as well into him as a player or just your visual comparison to others make him a great get in your mind?

I've seen him plenty and he's considered the top PG in the state. I also posted a Hammer and Rails column that echos my thoughts. So, I'm not some out of left field guy with some crazy opinion. You just disagree which is fine. I know Painter wants him bad enough he offered a scholly. That makes it, IMO, obvious he wants him. That's all I need to know. Painter wants him, he's very good and he's right here in our town. I think he must land the kid. I'm not here bitching about people making excuses....you're allowed to do that if you choose. I'm not going to make this a personal battle. I'm simply defending my position that Painter must land this kid. No excuses. He must land him. Everyone seems to want to make this personal with me. Look, if Painter is the coach that a bunch of folks here say he is....he will get Phinisee. And, I hope he does. I hope he gets every player he wants.

Reactions: z_one
Oh so recruits don't play along with the game? Clearly you are new to college basketball and the world of recruiting.

I'll go ahead and put your response to my comment "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL"

You're a legend in your own mind Choice. A response to the comment that basically is: "Painter is awesome, no matter what he does or doesn't do. If you disagree, I'll comment about you since I lack the capacity to put together a counter". You've managed to drag this topic so far off in the ditch.

Sorry, but you're not the board authority here. My opinion isn't myopic as yours is preemptive excuse making. And, I'm ok with that. I just won't do the same.
"Preemptive excuse making" seems to be a common theme in your posts. It seems very important.
I haven't seen any of that, at all. People are just talking about the realities of recruiting.
One could say you are using "preemptive blaming". Painter has to get him because he lives close....... or else "insert your criticism here".

Last edited:
You're a legend in your own mind Choice. A response to the comment that basically is: "Painter is awesome, no matter what he does or doesn't do. If you disagree, I'll comment about you since I lack the capacity to put together a counter". You've managed to drag this topic so far off in the ditch.
Yep. That's exactly what I said.

I'm not trying to get into a fight. I asked a simple question because believe it or not sometimes it has nothing to do with a coaches ability to recruit if they don't want to be in Indiana.

Wilkes is an example of a kid who wants to play under the bright lights in LA. Nothing any coach in state said to him was changing his mind.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
I've seen him plenty and he's considered the top PG in the state. I also posted a Hammer and Rails column that echos my thoughts. So, I'm not some out of left field guy with some crazy opinion. You just disagree which is fine. I know Painter wants him bad enough he offered a scholly. That makes it, IMO, obvious he wants him. That's all I need to know. Painter wants him, he's very good and he's right here in our town. I think he must land the kid. I'm not here bitching about people making excuses....you're allowed to do that if you choose. I'm not going to make this a personal battle. I'm simply defending my position that Painter must land this kid. No excuses. He must land him. Everyone seems to want to make this personal with me. Look, if Painter is the coach that a bunch of folks here say he is....he will get Phinisee. And, I hope he does. I hope he gets every player he wants.
Oh a Hammer and Rails column? Well, now that changes things!

Look- recruiting is a very fluid, dynamic thing. An offer that is OVER A YEAR OLD is almost meaningless. An early offer is based on an assumption that a player will develop over time. Maybe over that year, players like Hunter and Carmody have improved/grown/developed to where they are much more desirable players.

And I'm not creating cover for CMP. If he doesn't land a better class in 2018 than he did this year, I will be critical of him, just as I was when he whiffed on a bumper crop of Indiana talent this year.

We need 3 or 4 top 100 type players in this class to avoid a drop off (Phinisee is not top 100) and I don't care where they are from. 5 of our top 6 players this year were from out of state.

Plus, from all accounts, the kid can't shoot. We've seen that movie before...

Whoa...slow down a bit. Read what I wrote on its own, not in conjuction with another post. I stated numerous times I have only seen him once and said once is not enough to get an accurate measure. Nowhere did I suggest you may be in left field. I asked if you have seen him a few times and this is the first I'm aware that you said you have. If it is mentioned elsewhere...my apologies for missing it, and asking a question that you already answered. I know Matt offered a scholly to him..and I'm not a hammer and rails follower...maybe I should be?

Maybe I need to read hammer and rails to see WHY you are so high on him..not that he is a very good player...but a crucial player. Lastly, you do NOT have to defend yourself to me...you don't owe me any defense of yourself. I'm just trying to understand why he is so crucial...

Whoa...slow down a bit. Read what I wrote on its own, not in conjuction with another post. I stated numerous times I have only seen him once and said once is not enough to get an accurate measure. Nowhere did I suggest you may be in left field. I asked if you have seen him a few times and this is the first I'm aware that you said you have. If it is mentioned elsewhere...my apologies for missing it, and asking a question that you already answered. I know Matt offered a scholly to him..and I'm not a hammer and rails follower...maybe I should be?

Maybe I need to read hammer and rails to see WHY you are so high on him..not that he is a very good player...but a crucial player. Lastly, you do NOT have to defend yourself to me...you don't owe me any defense of yourself. I'm just trying to understand why he is so crucial...

Ok, ok. I apologize as I'm taking a ton of heat for my position.
Here: http://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/...basketball-recruiting-robert-phinisee-profile
This is the column I referred to. He's crucial IMO for the reasons that Painter offered, he's the top PG in the state and is from the area. I think he needs to land this kid for the reasons that you shouldn't let this kid get away. I think you need your local great players to come. Much like most coaches consider in state kids a must get. Phinisee needs to be a Boiler. Sorry for jumping the gun on you.

Yep. That's exactly what I said.

I'm not trying to get into a fight. I asked a simple question because believe it or not sometimes it has nothing to do with a coaches ability to recruit if they don't want to be in Indiana.

Wilkes is an example of a kid who wants to play under the bright lights in LA. Nothing any coach in state said to him was changing his mind.

This particular kid has all the indications of staying in state. Painter needs to land an area kid that he offers a scholly to. IMO.

Oh a Hammer and Rails column? Well, now that changes things!

Look- recruiting is a very fluid, dynamic thing. An offer that is OVER A YEAR OLD is almost meaningless. An early offer is based on an assumption that a player will develop over time. Maybe over that year, players like Hunter and Carmody have improved/grown/developed to where they are much more desirable players.

And I'm not creating cover for CMP. If he doesn't land a better class in 2018 than he did this year, I will be critical of him, just as I was when he whiffed on a bumper crop of Indiana talent this year.

We need 3 or 4 top 100 type players in this class to avoid a drop off (Phinisee is not top 100) and I don't care where they are from. 5 of our top 6 players this year were from out of state.

Plus, from all accounts, the kid can't shoot. We've seen that movie before...

Oh New Pal Boiler says so? Well, now that changes everything. LOL Painter offered, he's local 4 star and needs to stay here. I'm done explaining this over and you continue to go off on silly tangents. If Painter swings and misses...it's bad. Whatever excuse you decide is acceptable for not getting him is fine. Get it? I'm fine with your excuses. I'm not going to try to change your mind. Settle for excuses. I'm not going to.

Ok, ok. I apologize as I'm taking a ton of heat for my position.
Here: http://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/...basketball-recruiting-robert-phinisee-profile
This is the column I referred to. He's crucial IMO for the reasons that Painter offered, he's the top PG in the state and is from the area. I think he needs to land this kid for the reasons that you shouldn't let this kid get away. I think you need your local great players to come. Much like most coaches consider in state kids a must get. Phinisee needs to be a Boiler. Sorry for jumping the gun on you.
absolutely no problem with me..I understand. I just didn't want you to think I was picking on you. :) I'll read it ...thank you!

Reactions: boiler-deuce

Of course Painter wants him. He's a good player and would be a welcome addition to our 2018 class. But, I don't care if he lives across the street from Mackey, if I had Eastern and Carsen staring me in the face for the next 2/3 years, I just might consider alternate options.

rather than debating on speculation alone, here are quotes from just last year

things can always change, but I have not read about a major shift from the recruit or coaches perspective since then

"
"Indiana and Purdue coaches were courtside to see Phinisee on multiple occasions during the two evaluation periods in April. With a point guard right there in its backyard, Purdue is making Phinisee a major priority.

Phinisee said Purdue doesn’t necessarily have an advantage in his recruitment despite the proximity.

“I’d say maybe a little bit (of an advantage), but I’m going to make the best decision I can,” he said. “I wouldn’t say they are the front-runner because I don’t really have a front-runner. I’m looking for a team where I can play right away and I also want to win. I just talked to (Purdue assistant Jack Owens) this week and he told me they don’t want to take me for granted. They are going to recruit me really hard.”
“IU and Purdue are basically at every game.”

“I really like Purdue,” noted Phinisee. “Just being home is great. I talk to Coach (Jack) Owens a lot, and they have picked it up a lot. Being close to home would be great, and the way they use their post players really opens things up for their guards which suits me well.”
"

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...get-robert-phinisee-taking-his-time/84083162/

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...1671558-phinisee-talks-offers-and-june-visits

Reactions: Mr.Hoop
Of course Painter wants him. He's a good player and would be a welcome addition to our 2018 class. But, I don't care if he lives across the street from Mackey, if I had Eastern and Carsen staring me in the face for the next 2/3 years, I just might consider alternate options.

And word would travel like lightening that your word is meaningless. You'd have a reputation of offering to players then taking it back. And, we sure did make a ton of fun about IU and "Spring Creaning" here...didn't we?

rather than debating on speculation alone, here are quotes from just last year

things can always change, but I have not read about a major shift from the recruit or coaches perspective since then

"
"Indiana and Purdue coaches were courtside to see Phinisee on multiple occasions during the two evaluation periods in April. With a point guard right there in its backyard, Purdue is making Phinisee a major priority.

Phinisee said Purdue doesn’t necessarily have an advantage in his recruitment despite the proximity.

“I’d say maybe a little bit (of an advantage), but I’m going to make the best decision I can,” he said. “I wouldn’t say they are the front-runner because I don’t really have a front-runner. I’m looking for a team where I can play right away and I also want to win. I just talked to (Purdue assistant Jack Owens) this week and he told me they don’t want to take me for granted. They are going to recruit me really hard.”
“IU and Purdue are basically at every game.”

“I really like Purdue,” noted Phinisee. “Just being home is great. I talk to Coach (Jack) Owens a lot, and they have picked it up a lot. Being close to home would be great, and the way they use their post players really opens things up for their guards which suits me well.”
"

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...get-robert-phinisee-taking-his-time/84083162/

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...1671558-phinisee-talks-offers-and-june-visits

All of this sounds great. Painter must land him. MUST.

absolutely no problem with me..I understand. I just didn't want you to think I was picking on you. :) I'll read it ...thank you!

Good to know. I'm not really worried about being picked on. I just don't wish to have the reputation of going off on folks here unless I'm provoked. I try to never initiate mudslinging, but I will retaliate. Likewise, I don't want you thinking I would be like that with you when you're being respectful. I hope you enjoy the link. :)

Reactions: tjreese
Good to know. I'm not really worried about being picked on. I just don't wish to have the reputation of going off on folks here unless I'm provoked. I try to never initiate mudslinging, but I will retaliate. Likewise, I don't want you thinking I would be like that with you when you're being respectful. I hope you enjoy the link. :)
I did. I was at the game at Jeff when they played Zionsville. I know an asst. principal that used to be an A.D. before going to Zionsville. He saw me from across the gym adn wondered why I was there. Told him I wanted to see both of them and he shared that Phinesse was more athletic, but a year can make a huge difference...not 100% as some don't advance. Isiah was much more frail. McCutcheon had a better cast all around. I enjoyed the game, but think it wasn't until about the fourth quarter than Isiah guarded Phinesse and I was surprised that he could stay with him since I thought Phinesse would be much quicker. I think he was quicker, but not by as much as I thought. Anyway, one game has fooled me a lot before and that is why I try to listen to those that have seen players several times. I know the asst. A.D. at Jeff and was going to pick his ears, but he wasn't there that game...

Reactions: nagemj02
I did. I was at the game at Jeff when they played Zionsville. I know an asst. principal that used to be an A.D. before going to Zionsville. He saw me from across the gym adn wondered why I was there. Told him I wanted to see both of them and he shared that Phinesse was more athletic, but a year can make a huge difference...not 100% as some don't advance. Isiah was much more frail. McCutcheon had a better cast all around. I enjoyed the game, but think it wasn't until about the fourth quarter than Isiah guarded Phinesse and I was surprised that he could stay with him since I thought Phinesse would be much quicker. I think he was quicker, but not by as much as I thought. Anyway, one game has fooled me a lot before and that is why I try to listen to those that have seen players several times. I know the asst. A.D. at Jeff and was going to pick his ears, but he wasn't there that game...

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. I've watched Robert quite a bit and I went to the state finals last year to watch Phinisee and Langford square off. Both are very good. I'll watch Phinisee again next year as we usually get season passes for all major sports at McCutcheon since we're boosters. I hear coaches constantly talk about closing borders. It's the perfect goal and important for the fanbase. Robert is no different and Painter must land this kid.

And word would travel like lightening that your word is meaningless. You'd have a reputation of offering to players then taking it back. And, we sure did make a ton of fun about IU and "Spring Creaning" here...didn't we?
You misunderstood. I meant Phinesse would be looking at other opportunities where PT would be more likely.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. I've watched Robert quite a bit and I went to the state finals last year to watch Phinisee and Langford square off. Both are very good. I'll watch Phinisee again next year as we usually get season passes for all major sports at McCutcheon since we're boosters. I hear coaches constantly talk about closing borders. It's the perfect goal and important for the fanbase. Robert is no different and Painter must land this kid.

it has been a while and I've slept since then, but I think I saw most of the game in zone, but can't recall if it was one or both teams. I know the other black guard for McCutcheon helped...and it seemed like a forward for McCutcheon. I can recall a big for Zionsville and maybe another shooter, but I was really wishing I would see the two guard each other all game. I know the person from Zionsville thought it would take almost a perfect game for Zionsville to beat them or for McCutcheon to play a so so game

Oh New Pal Boiler says so? Well, now that changes everything. LOL Painter offered, he's local 4 star and needs to stay here. I'm done explaining this over and you continue to go off on silly tangents. If Painter swings and misses...it's bad. Whatever excuse you decide is acceptable for not getting him is fine. Get it? I'm fine with your excuses. I'm not going to try to change your mind. Settle for excuses. I'm not going to.
Not all offers are equal. Just because Painter offered a kid over a year ago doesn't mean he wants him as badly as other kids who he has offered since. CMP offered Eron Gordon early, then gradually backed off as his game plateaued over the next couple years, and as he offered other players (like CE) that he preferred. If you can't grasp that concept, then we are probably done here. Have a great night!

Not all offers are equal. Just because Painter offered a kid over a year ago doesn't mean he wants him as badly as other kids who he has offered since. CMP offered Eron Gordon early, then gradually backed off as his game plateaued over the next couple years, and as he offered other players (like CE) that he preferred. If you can't grasp that concept, then we are probably done here. Have a great night!

He literally can't grasp a single concept presented to him other than his own which is Painter MUST land Phinisee or there is a problem with Purdue.

He literally can't grasp a single concept presented to him other than his own which is Painter MUST land Phinisee or there is a problem with Purdue.

I'm done with this topic with you two. I don't care if you want to excuse Painter if he doesn't land Phinisee. How hard is it for you to grasp this? I literally am ok with it. Grow up and accept the fact I think he must get him. Get over yourselves and being so narcissistic that everyone must agree with you.

Once in a while a thread runs on and on and I can't see who everyone is arguing with/about because the protagonist is on ignore. So I ask to see the ignored comments. Most of the time it quickly confirms that I was right to have that poster on ignore. Definitely the case on this thread.

If we don't sign the #134 player in the country, SHUT THE PROGRAM DOWN!!!
I don't want to get into a debate about this so here is my last response. If this kid lived in East Lansing and Izzo wanted him he would be a Spartan. Same thing in Durham, Lexington, Chapel Hill etc. Painter has been at Purdue a long time, so unless a Kentucky or the like comes calling, it's a problem if Painter can't land this kid provided they want him. I assume they do since they offered. Not saying to shut down the program, but recognize recruiting is a problem for this staff if Robert leaves for a program equivalent of a Purdue.

Reactions: nagemj02
I don't want to get into a debate about this so here is my last response. If this kid lived in East Lansing and Izzo wanted him he would be a Spartan. Same thing in Durham, Lexington, Chapel Hill etc. Painter has been at Purdue a long time, so unless a Kentucky or the like comes calling, it's a problem if Painter can't land this kid provided they want him. I assume they do since they offered. Not saying to shut down the program, but recognize recruiting is a problem for this staff if Robert leaves for a program equivalent of a Purdue.
The question is how bad do they want him, relative to AT LEAST 3 higher ranked guards they are in on. CMP cannot follow all 4 of them around this summer. If he is following Hunter and/or Carmody, and Gary is watching Rob, then you have your answer.

And - Sounds like he hasn't done much with his outside shot since we offered him over a year ago. Maybe Painter was expecting more improvement in that area.

OR - maybe he feels signing RP would hurt our chances with Francis or Thompson.

The question is how bad do they want him, relative to AT LEAST 3 higher ranked guards they are in on. CMP cannot follow all 4 of them around this summer. If he is following Hunter and/or Carmody, and Gary is watching Rob, then you have your answer.

And - Sounds like he hasn't done much with his outside shot since we offered him over a year ago. Maybe Painter was expecting more improvement in that area.

OR - maybe he feels signing RP would hurt our chances with Francis or Thompson.

quick question...

Is Phinisee the only 2018 PG of the guards you refer to offered?

quick question...

Is Phinisee the only 2018 PG of the guards you refer to offered?
Yes, and if CMP thinks Eastern can play the point, signing another PG in 2018 may not be a big priority, especially if he thinks he's in good shape with one of the aforementioned 2019s.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
There is a huge difference in how all programs recruit. Izzo et al don't get every player they want. And kids pick schools not near home all the time for the very reason that it isn't home. Emotions for a kid not ranked in the top of the board are way too high. He's good from what I read, he isn't going to change the program instantly into a top five team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT